HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were in Big trouble and we've been doing this all year.

Old
01-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
So what I'm saying is there is no good deal out there, but if he's gonna have to overpay at the deadline he may as well overpay now! It's Lowe's fault we're in this situation, he gambled on a weak D with stacked forwards, and is losing.
I see what you're saying man and I have to defend you...you're right. I don't know why Lowe try's to out wait all other GMs when it's proven that the price only goes up as it gets closer and closer to the deadline.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:01 AM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I see what you're saying man and I have to defend you...you're right. I don't know why Lowe try's to out wait all other GMs when it's proven that the price only goes up as it gets closer and closer to the deadline.
Too easy. Lowe has know he's needed at least 2 defensemen since July 3rd. That's August and September traing camp. And 40 more games into the season. He's been sleepwalking asleep at the switch, whatever.

oilerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Lowe's ineptitude at getting a defenseman is once again putting Oilers fans through another season of mediocrity and high tension wondering if we'll even make the playoffs.

He gambled on our defense much like he gambled on our goaltending last year. And if it wasn't for Vancouver falling apart down the stretch we would've missed the playoffs and our magical run altogether.

He has to act now, if he waits until the trade deadline WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!
Yes, we got VERY lucky with Vancouver crapping the bed down the stretch last season.. Things clicked magically for us in the playoffs. It won't happen two years in a row. none of it will. No-one is going to completely crap the bed & give us their playoff spot. Lowe looked like a genius last year because of the way things turned out. He could have also looked like a complete heel (I am a big fan of Kevin Lowe by the way). But he needs to make a move NOW. Not next week....next month. NOW.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Master Lok

whine whine whine.

What? No teams EVER lost from a 4-1 lead? Only expansion teams? I'd like to see you guys back that up. EVERY team blows a lead.

As expected Ari, the usual Fire MacT post. What a surprise. So... having five dmen out there is his fault? Or are you just happier in seeing a coach blow his stack, and but still have the same result?

Kevin Lowe does not have balls? You're kidding me. He's one of the GM's with the most balls. Who else would throw out a 1st rounder for Dwayne Roloson last year? I remember a majority of the posters were unhappy that it wasn't Luongo, or Biron or Gerber. Have you noticed a plethora of GM's making deals right now? Very few this season - Lowe isn't in isolation not making a deal - EVERY GM ISN'T MAKING A DEAL. They're waiting for the cap hit to be lower, or for other teams to decide if they're buyers or sellers.

Of course I'm not happy that the Oilers lost, but guess what? Sometimes our team lose games. Especially with the defense they have out there. And sometimes when our team loses, it won't be pretty. Or do you guys honestly expect every loss to be a hard battling, "lucky shot" loss?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Sometimes our team lose games.
This Oiler team is 3-8-1 in their last 12 games & 5-10-2 in their last 17 since their 5 game winning streak back from November 13-24.

That's not a very good example of "Sometimes our team lose games".

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Ubiquitin

Quote:
Not at all necessarily,

As teams get closer and closer to the deadline, you'll see more sellers. An example being Phoenix last week declaring their sale on. All Lowe should need is the anaheim draft pic (and probably just a bit more) to get it done if there's a deal out there.

Furthermore, the oilers ARE a decent team and they wont be in an as bad situation as they are today come trade deadline time. So compare todays situation - where everyone sees Lowe as desperate and GMs will ask high, with that of that at the trade deadline, where our situation shouldn't be so bad. Further, our current situation automatically becomes worse with Smit being out.

Ubiquitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:27 AM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Actually I did say yes, so nyah nyah. People wholly overrate draft picks IMO.
Including GM's.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As expected Ari, the usual Fire MacT post. What a surprise. So... having five dmen out there is his fault? Or are you just happier in seeing a coach blow his stack, and but still have the same result?
It's tee off time boys!!! Are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME??????????? YET ANOTHER EXCUSE FOR THE GUY????????? I don't know if you noticed this, BUT WE HAD A 4-1 LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST IF HE BLOWS HIS STACK IT MIGHT WAKE THE TEAM UP!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what won't, DOING NOTHING LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES WITH THE SAME FREAKIN RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy panics when his team panics, MIKE FREAKIN PECA SAID AS MUCH LAST YEAR WHEN THIS SAME BS WAS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and to top it off....your BOY....HE WASN'T EVEN UPSET WITH THE EFFORT AFTER THE GAME, instead.....THE TOOL WAS JOKING ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND TO STEFAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does that not show you where this guys head is at??? Let me ask you some questions buddy....are you happy with finishing either just barely getting to the playoffs in 8th place or just barely missing while finishing 9th????? You tell me, after the 01 season, how many times have we NOT finished in those two spots???? Have we not blown about 5 or 6 games already this season that we should have won??? Is this not EXACTLY like EVERY SINGLE Oiler team since 02??? You tell me. Does this team NO SHOW 40% of there games??? Tell me how many times this team has played a complete 60 minutes this year??? How many??? I bet it's not over 5.....or better yet 3. Like be honest here buddy, don't kid yourself, do you actually think that his coaching proformance from 02-07 that turns out the EXACT SAME EVERY SEASON, despite what he has or doesn't have on the roster, you we can't get over that hump because this team "just didn't get the bounces" like they always say??? Tell me on paper how much better are the Buffalo Sabres??? I'll answer this one, not a whole lot. Yes, they're better, but they're on paper a very very simular team. The biggest difference is Lindy Ruff is what you call a great coach! The fact that you're still making excuses for this guy after 6 seasons of the EXACT SAME BS is ridiculous! And you know what, I hope I'm wrong, I loved Mac T as a player, I think he is a really good guy, I think he tries hard, I think he needs to go, and I know he's not going anywhere for another 2 seasons which makes me more p*ssed off then I already am!!!!!!!! I hope we can still be friends because at the end of the day what more do we have

Old
01-05-2007, 02:47 AM
OILFAN #81

Everything goes back to our defense. Our defense is flat out atrocious. Steve Staios is the only defenseman that when out there, I am not nervous. Jason Smith, Ladislav Smid and Matt Greene are pretty good as well and usually only make minimal mistakes.

But MAB and Daniel Tjarnqvist are beyond bad. They flat out suck and should be AHL defenseman. MAB is only good with his shot on the PP but in his own end he doesn't take his man infront of the net and most times goes to chase a player behind the net and gets caught infront. Hejda hasn't played too many games and he plays what he is supposed to play like (a 3rd pairing dman) so no blame there.

I really hope the Oilers trade a forward/prospect for a dman soon because it's clear that the Oilers need 1 or 2 more defenseman on this team. Even MacT after the game said he has seen this movie way too many times. It's not like it was just one bad game, it's been like this most of the year. I know other teams have been willing to trade and i'm sure Lowe is trying but a deal has to be made soon. I'd keep Smith, Staios, Smid and Greene but lose the other 3 and replace them with 2 new dmen.

Trade Lupul plus Bergeron/Tjarnqvist for Visnovsky.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:48 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitin View Post
Not at all necessarily,

As teams get closer and closer to the deadline, you'll see more sellers. An example being Phoenix last week declaring their sale on. All Lowe should need is the anaheim draft pic (and probably just a bit more) to get it done if there's a deal out there.

Furthermore, the oilers ARE a decent team and they wont be in an as bad situation as they are today come trade deadline time. So compare todays situation - where everyone sees Lowe as desperate and GMs will ask high, with that of that at the trade deadline, where our situation shouldn't be so bad. Further, our current situation automatically becomes worse with Smit being out.
Well you make a good case, but I believe the MAJORITY of the time costs go up because history says the closer to the deadline it gets, the more teams that are in contention get desperate to sure up there lineups for a Cup run. Look at last year. Spacek was dirt cheap in January, where Witt got dealt at the deadline. I would say value wise they were equal....the Caps got a 1st round pick for Witt, the Hawks got a prospect that was 24 and not at all in our future plans.

Old
01-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Or do you guys honestly expect every loss to be a hard battling, "lucky shot" loss?
Boy that's odd, the WELL COACHED TEAMS seem to lose like that and not like we did tonight and seem to do most of the time we lose!!!!

Old
01-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Everything goes back to our defense. Our defense is flat out atrocious. Steve Staios is the only defenseman that when out there, I am not nervous. Jason Smith, Ladislav Smid and Matt Greene are pretty good as well and usually only make minimal mistakes.

But MAB and Daniel Tjarnqvist are beyond bad. They flat out suck and should be AHL defenseman. MAB is only good with his shot on the PP but in his own end he doesn't take his man infront of the net and most times goes to chase a player behind the net and gets caught infront. Hejda hasn't played too many games and he plays what he is supposed to play like (a 3rd pairing dman) so no blame there.

I really hope the Oilers trade a forward/prospect for a dman soon because it's clear that the Oilers need 1 or 2 more defenseman on this team. Even MacT after the game said he has seen this movie way too many times. It's not like it was just one bad game, it's been like this most of the year. I know other teams have been willing to trade and i'm sure Lowe is trying but a deal has to be made soon. I'd keep Smith, Staios, Smid and Greene but lose the other 3 and replace them with 2 new dmen.

Trade Lupul plus Bergeron/Tjarnqvist for Visnovsky.
I will have to disagree with this. Bergeron has been out best d-man in terms of bringing the puck out of our own end, and making a play with it. He has also been the smartest D-man in terms of jumping into the play at the right time, and not getting caught. I just cant see anyone blaming bergeron right now when he is playing as a 5/6 pairing, putting up the most points out of our defenceman, and maintaining a plus minus which is the highest of all oiler defenceman. I would almost argue that bergeron should be playing in a 3/4 role right now.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
I will have to disagree with this. Bergeron has been out best d-man in terms of bringing the puck out of our own end, and making a play with it. He has also been the smartest D-man in terms of jumping into the play at the right time, and not getting caught. I just cant see anyone blaming bergeron right now when he is playing as a 5/6 pairing, putting up the most points out of our defenceman, and maintaining a plus minus which is the highest of all oiler defenceman. I would almost argue that bergeron should be playing in a 3/4 role right now.
I agree....before the last 2 weeks or so I was all about shipping Bergeron off, and if we HAVE to deal him to get a true number 1 then I'm for it, but if we could get a couple of guys in here like Brewer and Gonchar without giving up Bergy or Smid that would be great, and I think we could....doesn't mean that Syvret or Gilbert wouldn't be going(at least when it comes to a guy like Gonchar), but I would RATHER that then the way Bergy is playing, because when he's on he's really good!

Old
01-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Rin

Interesting tidbit right here...Lowe was NOT at tonights game. According to Mowzie's locked thread, the other shoe is supposed to drop tomorrow. Keep your eyes and ears open boys and girls, keep them open.

Incase you're wondering...i heard it on overtime openline, that lowe wasn't at the game.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
whine whine whine.

What? No teams EVER lost from a 4-1 lead? Only expansion teams? I'd like to see you guys back that up. EVERY team blows a lead.

Kevin Lowe does not have balls? You're kidding me. He's one of the GM's with the most balls. Who else would throw out a 1st rounder for Dwayne Roloson last year? I remember a majority of the posters were unhappy that it wasn't Luongo, or Biron or Gerber. Have you noticed a plethora of GM's making deals right now? Very few this season - Lowe isn't in isolation not making a deal - EVERY GM ISN'T MAKING A DEAL. They're waiting for the cap hit to be lower, or for other teams to decide if they're buyers or sellers.

Of course I'm not happy that the Oilers lost, but guess what? Sometimes our team lose games. Especially with the defense they have out there. And sometimes when our team loses, it won't be pretty. Or do you guys honestly expect every loss to be a hard battling, "lucky shot" loss?
LIghten up, it's normal for fans to whine, they love their team and are very disappointed. Your post a counter-whine is the same ol same ol. What is great to read is some concrete ideas on how to improve the team rather than the usual rants.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

IF that is true, do you think it would be a huge blockbuster, something that would give this team more balance? I mean obviously a blockbuster would still leave us with holes to fill, but some are a lot easier for this team to fill then others. Obviously just speculating, but guys I would look to be moved if there was a big deal tomorrow: Horcoff, Tjarnqvist, Bergeron(hate to say, but he has a lot of value because of his contract and potential), Pouliot, Winchester, and I believe Sykora is a possiblity if anything because he's a UFA that is probably going to be too expensive for us anyways.

Old
01-05-2007, 03:27 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Let me ask you some questions buddy....are you happy with finishing either just barely getting to the playoffs in 8th place or just barely missing while finishing 9th????? You tell me, after the 01 season, how many times have we NOT finished in those two spots???? Have we not blown about 5 or 6 games already this season that we should have won??? Is this not EXACTLY like EVERY SINGLE Oiler team since 02??? You tell me. Does this team NO SHOW 40% of there games??? Tell me how many times this team has played a complete 60 minutes this year???
Aside from the screaming , I'd say that pretty much sums it up . The one that gets to me the most is the old losing games they should have won post game interview when one of the boys will express with much sincerity and earnestness the determination in the room to NOT put themselves in same situation they were in last year ( and the year before and the year before ) and waste easy points . And I'd say Ari's being generous with the 5or 6 guestimation on the number of easy points the oilers have let slip away already . They just seem incapable of putting together all the right pieces together at the same time so that they can take a step up the ladder in this league . If I'm not mistaking Ari's point - the Oilers have been a mediocre to poor team for most of the last ten years . And hell no , that's not good enough . But that's where I stop agreeing with you . MacT is a puzzling guy sometimes for sure , but I think he's the right coach for the Oilers and I wouldn't want to see him fired . We lost cfp and Spacek and Tarnstrom on the backend . Coach doesn't fill those holes ..... and besides we can't all have Lindy Ruff .

I don't agree that the season is over ( and just curious jadeddog - if you really think that , why bother to bag your avatar ) . What you say about " our shot " coming season after next is really probably true , but there are plenty of other teams around the league that are going to be scary in two years time . And besides no mediocre ( 9th - 11th ) team can afford to give up on a season until the writing's really on the wall . It's not sporting and it degrades the franchise - see Yotes / Pens . The Oilers can play better than they're showing with the 5-10-2 record somebody posted above .

I think we need to change the captain . I'd be in favor of packaging Smith and a prospect and/or draft to bring in someone who can carry the puck . I'm afraid that if he stays in Edmonton his career is going to hit the skids because he's trying to do too much AND be captain with a dwindling skill set and tiring legs . Having said that , Smith is still a valuable guy if you give him decent minutes on a pairing that plays to his strengths . I'm sure a team like the Sens would love to have him .

Hey ... at least Wild are in the tank too . Could be worse .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:36 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Kevin Lowe does not have balls? You're kidding me. He's one of the GM's with the most balls. Who else would throw out a 1st rounder for Dwayne Roloson last year? I remember a majority of the posters were unhappy that it wasn't Luongo, or Biron or Gerber.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...+traded+oilers

There's the thread Lok, pretty funny stuff.

Ari Gold:

"I don't like this at all. First of all I never considered Roloson a possibility becasue the Wild is chasing us, so that's very surprising. 2nd, the guy has never carried a team by himself period. Playoffs or regular season. 3rd, overpaid HUGE. If we're going to give up a 1st round pick, have it in a package for Biron, like a 1st, Staios, and a 4th wouldn't have got Biron. I know, I don't know that, but it seems like that's a deal that would have knocked Buffalo's socks off. Now what? Are we getting a winger? As has been speculated the past few days are we still getting another goaltender? What about the fact we have 8 d-men? Lowe isn't done folks. Let me add this....I hate it, but at the end of the day he got us a guy who's been to the Conference finals before, has played VERY well this season with no offensive support, he's cheap money wise, and this year's draft isn't that deep. Lowe still did his job, it's just I was a Cujo guy."

Cerebral:

"I really like this trade. Losing the first round pick hurts but we already have a deep prospect pool and this draft is supposed to be fairly weak in all. Likewise, the value will be pretty solid if Roloson plays well and we sign him to an extension (which I fully expect we'll do).

Keep in mind that Roloson's career year came on a Minnesota team that didn't allow a lot of shots. That same team is allowing a lot more shots/game this year and that has likely hurt his performance.

He wasn't my first choice but he's definitely not a bad option given what we have. I have a feeling he'll play pretty well and he also has some playoff experience. I'm guessing Phoenix was asking for too much for Cujo...

I knew that Lowe would have to overpay for a goaltender given our struggles so I'm not too upset about the overall value. A 2nd round pick was likely what it would have cost last season to grab a soon-to-be UFA like Roloson but the sacrifice of a 1st is what it took and I'm fine with that."

Dawgbone:

"Hell of a trade by Lowe.

A couple of things...

1. Not a great draft year, and hopefully the Oilers have a crappy draft position.

2. We have a glut of decent young players in the system now, and this pick is at least 4 years away anyways."

Lowetide:

"I like the deal. Lowe was going to overpay because he'd left it this long but he's giving up a 1st in a season where that pick is going to get a player who may below the prospects being asked about.

Does that first have more value than MAP? Would you have been happy with Pouliot and a conditional pick?

Honestly I've spent the last week or so hoping a team like the Wild would fall far enough in the standings to deal Roloson (I even posted on it somewhere) and then hoped they'd deal him within the division.

Overpay? Yes
Good move Lowe? Yes"

Messier:

"I don't like trading a first but I think Rolo is a definite upgrade and most forget he was a recent all star. All the horsecrap of being part of a tandem. All Roloson has talked about for a couple years is wanting a starters job.

I say he excells.

All in all, I am satisfied."

PDO:

"... finally. Amen.

We gave up a first. Big whoop, this draft sucks.

Roloson is used to not facing many shots.. many people are saying how will he play without the trap? Oilers are 2nd in the league in shots against.

Roloson is currently 13th in the league in SV%, at .910%. Will that translate perfectly? God no, but it should be pretty close. To put that into perspective, the Oilers have allowed 192 goals on 1579 shots.. that's a SV% of 0.878. Roughly, with Roloson, that means we'd have allowed about fifty less goals... which would put us right around first in the league in GA. That's how good our defense has been (shots against) and how amazingly bad our goaltending has been.

This will have a HUGE impact on our team if Roloson can keep his play right around there. Better yet, the guy is a Canuck killer, does have playoff experience, and is consistent. He's the answer.. he's not amazing by any means, but he is very solid. That'll let our players take some chances, give them some confidence in the guy in net.. man this is huge. Go Oilers. Good job Lowe."

Last edited by imkinger: 01-05-2007 at 03:51 AM.
imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:43 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
It's a common trait of below average hockey clubs, Steve. That's what these Oilers have become, a bad hockey club. They don't know how to win. And the many examples of blown leads this season are evidence of that.
Leading after 2 periods, the Oilers before tonight's game have 0 regulation losses and 1 OTL, that's 4th best in the league.

Leading after 1 period, the Oilers before tonight's game have 1 regulation loss and 2 OTL, that's 15th in the league.

In other words, not a below average hockey club when it comes to holding a lead.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
It's tee off time boys!!! Are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME??????????? YET ANOTHER EXCUSE FOR THE GUY????????? I don't know if you noticed this, BUT WE HAD A 4-1 LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST IF HE BLOWS HIS STACK IT MIGHT WAKE THE TEAM UP!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what won't, DOING NOTHING LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES WITH THE SAME FREAKIN RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's known as maintaining one's composure. If the coach loses it, its guaranteed that the team would lose their composure as well. If MacT blew his stack, every time the Oilers lost the lead last year - he wouldn't have a voice left and I doubt very much that it would improve things or not. Sometimes a bag skate says a lot more than screaming and crying and jumping up and down like an 8 year old.

Heck look at the Bruins last night - they were destroyed 10-2 by Toronto. TORONTO! And that's with Chara on the ice - and they're coached by Dave Lewis who isn't a bad coach either.

Quote:
Let me ask you some questions buddy....are you happy with finishing either just barely getting to the playoffs in 8th place or just barely missing while finishing 9th????? You tell me, after the 01 season, how many times have we NOT finished in those two spots????
Yup I'm pretty content with getting to the playoffs in 8th place. Would I be happier finishing first? Of course - but I really don't care about the President's Trophy - that's the wrong Cup to focus on. Perhaps I have lower expectations of where the Oilers finish is the difference between our opinions.

Quote:
Have we not blown about 5 or 6 games already this season that we should have won??? Is this not EXACTLY like EVERY SINGLE Oiler team since 02??? You tell me. Does this team NO SHOW 40% of there games??? Tell me how many times this team has played a complete 60 minutes this year??? How many??? I bet it's not over 5.....or better yet 3. Like be honest here buddy, don't kid yourself, do you actually think that his coaching proformance from 02-07 that turns out the EXACT SAME EVERY SEASON, despite what he has or doesn't have on the roster, you we can't get over that hump because this team "just didn't get the bounces" like they always say???
Name me a team in the NHL that has not blown a lead since 02. It might be an exaggeration to say that this team no shows 40% of the time. Especially considering the Oilers won 21 games out of 41. I guess in my opinion, sometimes the Oilers show up - and they still lose, because the other team played the better game that night.

Quote:
Tell me on paper how much better are the Buffalo Sabres??? I'll answer this one, not a whole lot. Yes, they're better, but they're on paper a very very simular team. The biggest difference is Lindy Ruff is what you call a great coach! The fact that you're still making excuses for this guy after 6 seasons of the EXACT SAME BS is ridiculous!
I think the Sabres are a whole lot better than the Oilers on paper. But I agree with you - I do think highly of Lindy Ruff - he's stuck by his players, developed them, prodded them, defended them from the media at times, and yelled at them at other times and has a solid game plan.

I think both the Sabres and the Oilers have similar quality in forward depth. The big difference however is that the Sabres have a better defense. Their top six includes Teppo Numminen, Spacek, Toni Lydman, Campbell, Kalinin, and Tallinder. Its a well rounded group, with no rookies in that top six. The Oilers have three rookie dmen (Hejda, Smid, Greene) and it shows. Also the Sabres have better goalkeeping duo with Biron and Miller than the Oilers. These are significant differences on paper.

Quote:
And you know what, I hope I'm wrong, I loved Mac T as a player, I think he is a really good guy, I think he tries hard, I think he needs to go, and I know he's not going anywhere for another 2 seasons which makes me more p*ssed off then I already am!!!!!!!! I hope we can still be friends because at the end of the day what more do we have
The problem is that regardless of how I feel about MacT - I really don't see him getting fired this season. IF Lowe wanted to fire MacT - he should have done it last year - when MacT was on the last year of his contract and when the Oilers had that HUGE losing streak.

Not this year - MacT just signed a longterm contract with the Oilers, he added the Cup final to his resume, and he's developing 7 rookies in his lineup (Smid, Greene, Hejda, Pouliot, Winchester, Jacques, Petersen?) while trying to win. I just don't see MacT getting fired this season - no matter how bad he does. Maybe during the off-season at the earliest if the Oilers fail to make the playoffs.

Last edited by Master Lok: 01-05-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old
01-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
LIghten up, it's normal for fans to whine, they love their team and are very disappointed. Your post a counter-whine is the same ol same ol. What is great to read is some concrete ideas on how to improve the team rather than the usual rants.
You think that comments like "Lowe has no balls" or "fire mact" are concrete ideas on improving the team?

Old
01-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...+traded+oilers

There's the thread Lok, pretty funny stuff.
Agreed. I do recall many threads as the angst over the goaltending last year was reaching a true fever pitch. Lowe was burned in effigy many times for not making a move yet while the good ship Oiler was sinking with captains Ty, Jussi and Mike at the helm. I must admit that I never considered Roloson - and in the end, imo, he was the best choice for the assets given up.

Here's Mizral's opinion:

Splendid, splendid choice. Kevin Lowe made the correct move (and funny that, just after I finished making a post about Lowe being awful for not getting a deal done).

As I'm sure all you know, but I can attest to: Dwayne Roloson is unflappable. The man is just made to stop pucks. Very cool customer, but very intense man. I hear he is a real proud guy in practice too, similar to Hasek, in that he's hard to beat even in between games.

I think this is the first sense of stability I've been able to sense in the pipes for Edmonton since Salo's big year in like, 2001.

Once more, great choice, and a solid veteran player. Anyone notice the Oilers are getting much better AS THEY GET OLDER!! Key point here folks. A balanced lineup with age as much as skill and toughness is how to go. These veteran guys are going to mean big things in the playoffs. My hopes for the Oilers in the post-season just went way up.

Old
01-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Spawn

Man, people here sure are panicing, people saying lowe has no balls, or is inept and has just been sitting on his hands aren't too bright, sorry last year, Lowe throughout the year, I would say improved the team from start to finish more than any other team. Now people just assume that Lowe hasn't been trying to get a d-man, Lowe isn't an idiot, and he understands this teams needs, but its not like you can go out and just make a trade happen, there needs to be a partner to dance with, and I'd rather have Lowe wait for a better deal than pay out his ***, and make it something that we will regret in a year or twos time. I gotta take a break from the Oiler portion of this site, its such a downer.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote