HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rules Question

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 03:36 PM
b-orr-k

vCash: 500
Rules Question

I need some help on a scoring matter and can't find a reference in the rules section of NHL.com. What is the rule when more than one goalie is used in a shutout? This recently happened with the Sharks and neither goalie was awarded the shutout (although Nabokov got the win). I don't disagree with the ruling, but need validation for rotisserie scoring purposes. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:59 PM
BCCHL inactive

Something like this wouldn't be in the rulebook because it has nothing to do with the playing rules of the game.

I can't tell you 100%, but I would assume that no shutout would be awarded.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:04 PM
The Flying Pigdog

I believe you need to play the whole game to be credited with a shutout. Just like in baseball, if a pitcher doesn't go the full 9 innings, he doesn't get credit for a shutout.

Old
12-02-2003, 05:40 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog
I believe you need to play the whole game to be credited with a shutout. Just like in baseball, if a pitcher doesn't go the full 9 innings, he doesn't get credit for a shutout.
I'm pretty sure you need to *make every save* in order to be credited with a shutout. A goalie could be pulled for an extra attacker on a delayed penalty call without jeopardizing his shutout.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:45 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
I'm pretty sure you need to *make every save* in order to be credited with a shutout. A goalie could be pulled for an extra attacker on a delayed penalty call without jeopardizing his shutout.
What about....game is tied 0-0 in the third late in the season. One team needs the two points to make the playoffs, so they pull their goalie. Other team scores an empty-net goal. Does the goalie still get a shutout? He made every save possible. :p

Closed Thread