HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers New Arena Editorial in National Post

Old
01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
mudcrutch79

vCash: 500
Oilers New Arena Editorial in National Post

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...8-ac94100ffe27

Cool story. This guy he talked to seems awfully sharp.

mudcrutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 04:06 PM
VoiceOfReason

A good read--but a little over the top with references to inner-city "meth dealers".

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
A good read--but a little over the top with references to inner-city "meth dealers".
Have you spent much time in that area? I lived a few blocks from the proposed location until a year ago, and I was offered a startling array of drugs and black market goods.

Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeComrie'sGhost
This guy he talked to seems awfully sharp.
My how quickly things change around here. "That guy" is one of the well-respected posters who has lately jumped ship.

But I suppose that discussion is more suited for this thread.

Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeComrie'sGhost View Post
The "hockey writer" guy? I smell a conspiracy-but one I fully support.

Bohologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I am still waiting for the Flames and their fans to step up and say--"well, as long as your handing out money."

That is where the fight will begin. I was around one flame board and the flame fans were agreed that if the city of Edmonton gets a new arena--so should Calgary

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
I am still waiting for the Flames and their fans to step up and say--"well, as long as your handing out money."

That is where the fight will begin. I was around one flame board and the flame fans were agreed that if the city of Edmonton gets a new arena--so should Calgary
I found it quite interesting and probably not coincidental that Calgary has commissioned someone to see if it possible to upgrade the Saddledome at about the same time that the leaked info came out in the Sun about the proposed new "Rexall Place"

Lobbying for this in BOTH cities started years ago and there is not way that both cities don't knowabout each cities/teams plan or have jointly lobbied for this.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
the cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
Considering i live a couple blocks away and on the way home yesterday, i almost stepped on a shank, and i was asked if i wanted some "love" from someone who is not my girlfriend. Its a bad area, partiallybecause the police are too busy busting people on whyte for peeing, instead of stopping the muggings and beatings between jasper and stony plain road.

Hopefuly a new arena in the area will actually make the city realize that you need to have police presence for crime to go down, not hoping that you can out smart them by saying there is one

the cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo View Post
The "hockey writer" guy? I smell a conspiracy-but one I fully support.
I don't know why Cosh called him a hockey writer--blogger would have been more accurate. Not that Tyler isn't a smart guy--he most definately is above the vast majority of "real" hockey writers.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
I don't know why Cosh called him a hockey writer--blogger would have been more accurate. Not that Tyler isn't a smart guy--he most definately is above the vast majority of "real" hockey writers.
Dude, don't be a slave to oldthink: how is new media writing any different from old media? I get far more information & insight from blogs like Lowetide & Mudcrutch79 than the usual cliches & cookie cutter columns from the Journal and Sun. Really, who bothers with allegedly real hockey writers who don't have the brains or the gumption to tackle difficult subjects, provoke discussion, or shed new perspectives? It's just a shame that a great deal of the Oilogosphere was spawned from a HF diaspora. I hope Lowetide & Tyler make a pile of cash out of their blogging so they can quit their day jobs and write for us full time.

Bohologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 09:48 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Dude, don't be a slave to oldthink: how is new media writing any different from old media? I get far more information & insight from blogs like Lowetide & Mudcrutch79 than the usual cliches & cookie cutter columns from the Journal and Sun. Really, who bothers with allegedly real hockey writers who don't have the brains or the gumption to tackle difficult subjects, provoke discussion, or shed new perspectives? It's just a shame that a great deal of the Oilogosphere was spawned from a HF diaspora. I hope Lowetide & Tyler make a pile of cash out of their blogging so they can quit their day jobs and write for us full time.
Ahh that precisely is why blogging and media outlets are very different. One is a livelihood with vested interest in saying certain things due to their own financial futures.

When blogging becomes a mainstream, funded and invested outlet, then it becomes one in the same.

The lap dogs arent born that way, they're paying bills.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 12:06 PM
The Rage

Quote:
I know how good Lowetide and Mudcrutch are--but can you really call the hockey writers? They are in a sense, but most people don't think blogger when they hear writer.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 02:42 PM
slapshot™

Quote:
There is nothing very wrong with the existing Rexall Place, aside from an approaching need for some routine upgrades and the lingering smell of hemp smoke from a thousand rock concerts.
Nothing wrong with Rexall?

YIKES!

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
I know how good Lowetide and Mudcrutch are--but can you really call the hockey writers? They are in a sense, but most people don't think blogger when they hear writer.
I suppose saying "hockey writer" implies a professional position, while "blogger" means an amature, but I don't have that much of a problem with it. As has been stated already, the Oilogosphere is far more interesting and informative to read than just about any professional "hockey writer" out there.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:57 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Dealing with Calgary is very very simple. They do indeed get a new building as well - nine years after Edmonton does. Anybody who knows anything about the two buildings knows why 9 years. So long as there is a public stated intention on behalf of those funding the Edmonton complex that Calgary will get equal treatment in one less a decade, then i don't think you'll hear to much griping.

01-10-2007, 10:25 AM
copperandblue

Maybe I have too much snow on the brain this morning but can anyone tell me what the point of the article is?

Edmonton wants a new arena but it will take public support to do so which is bad because the tired arguments of economic benefit are flawed, but hockey is important so it may happen but the Trappers left town so the Oilers may leave town and the meth dealers will lose out on their new found demographic?

It reads like someone has run out of ideas to write about and was facing a deadline to me.

As for the arena itself, personally I think the Oilers window for striking the smoothest possible deal with the two levels of government is starting to close. Provincial support was probably most likely under Klein and the fact that it would probably have taken an equal contribution to Calgary is not only irrelevant when debating which city deserves/needs it most right now but most likely a pre-requisit to jump starting the provinces involvement in contributing. The economy is good and as such these types of legacy projects need to happen now, regardless of economic payoff down the road. This should simply be a perk of the financial situation we are currently dealing with. I am not sure that Stelmach will have the stomach to spend that type of dough so shortly after taking office.

The second part of the window is that Mandell is about pro-development as you could ever hope for and based on that, he is the guy you want in the mayors chair when putting such a deal together. Problem is, I am not sure his tenure is very secure heading into the next election.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Raoul Duke*

That article was brutal, poorly written and just all around terrible by that writer. Remind me if I ever need cash to ramble off some random BS and send it to the National Post.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:09 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
The thing I found interesting about the article is how the writer tried so desperately hard to present a POV (that has been presented countless times berfore) with his personal stamp on it that the whole effort seems transparent to me.

I also got a kick out of the last portion of this particular paragraph....
Quote:
When a proposal is made to spend public funds in conjunction with, and for the benefit of, private business interests, a natural first question would seem to be "How much?" Only with an answer established can one reasonably go on to ask "Is it worth it?" But one has the uneasy feeling that Edmonton is so desperate for attention, so enamoured of hockey, and so awash in money that it has destroyed its bargaining position on the first question by reaching quick consensus on a "Yes" to the second one.
Since when does a public/private partnership become a function of a city so consumed by a supposed inferiority complex and too mesmerized by pro hockey to know how to spend money on anything but foolish endeavors like downtown revitalization?
A perfect example of a myopic viewpoint dressed up with some glittery phrases that don't really say much of anything.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
edmonton_ice

What is wrong with Rexall ?

I don't think Rexall is out of date. There is no need for a new rink.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
I don't think Rexall is out of date. There is no need for a new rink.
Just what this thread needed...a little dash of humour.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote