HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goaltender workout?

Old
01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
theguy351

vCash: 500
Goaltender workout?

Is weight trainging fine for a goalie in season? I have been told that if i train weights with the goal of gaining muscle that my refelxes will get worse and my muscles will be really fatigued and overall my performance will go down..... is that .the truth?

my routine is called 3x5 rippetoes....its compound lifts: squats, bench, deadlift, military press, barbell row, abs , dips, chinups. on different days.....spread out M,W,F

im 17,
i play junior b....we have practice m,t,thurs...games usually weekends. Will doing this lifting m,w,f really make me a worse goalie or will it (do what i think) make me stronger and a better goalie.

if this is not a good idea, what is?

theguy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
gr8haluschak

There is a reason goalies are lanky and yes it will hinder you. When you do add that extra muscle you do lose flexibility, and goalies train for stamina more than strength. What you describe is not a bad workout but it should be lower weight more reps. I would also focus more on your shoulders.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:11 AM
EmptyNetter

I'm not an expert or a goalie but that sounds like too heavy a workout to do during the season. You're already practicing/playing 4 times per week which seems like a heavy work load. In lifting weights you're making small tears in your muscle fibers. When your body repairs the tears it adds muscle mass. That's how you get bigger. The last thing you want to do while your muscles repair themselves is stretch them to their capacity -- there's an excellent chance that you'll pull something. Plus, you'll probably feel fatigued while your muscles repair themselves -- fewer whole fibers means less strength and your body needs some of your energy to make those repairs.

IMO your prime focus should be on keeping your energy up and staying limber. Don't laugh, but yoga would be excellent if you want an extra routine. It will loosen whatever is tight, improve balance, posture and will extend your range of motion. Your muscles will work more efficiently so you'll get better response and strength from what you've got right now. The meditation aspect will help you focus. Best of all it's low impact so there's almost no recovery time. If you feel you still need more energy or endurance, hop on a treadmill or stationary bike.

Is there some aspect of your game that you feel is your achilles heel? Not getting up and down quickly enough? Try drills that focus on that particular aspect -- the repetition will be a big help. If you need a little more resistance just try holding a 5lb plate as you do it. Try wearing wrist weights (1lb for each wrist?) or use a heavier stick during practice. Just add enough weight to challenge you so your regular gear will be easier to use. If you you get too sore use less weight.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 03:36 PM
MikeD

It is very correct that over training can hurt your game, mentally and physically. Not only will is slow your reaction times, it can also put you into a state of clinical depression! Symptoms include chronic fatigue, depressed appetite, weight loss, insomnia, decreased libido, muscle soreness and elevated depression and tension.

Goal tending and weight training in todays mind set is to target LEGS LEGS LEGS and core body. Heavy upper body work is not recommended. With two types of muscle fibers(fast and slow twitch), over loading can change the state of fast twitch to a more hybrid type of action. Speed and elasticity is lost in exchange for added power. Obviously, this can really harm your game.

When muscles are damaged by overtraining, creatine kinase (CK), a muscle tissue enzyme, is released into the bloodstream. So a substantially elevated serum CK level indicates overtraining. Testing that on a regular basis is rather difficult for the average non-pro goalie. Taking your pulse (every morning, if possible) can be a good substitute: An elevated resting heart rate is probably the best indicator of overtraining. You should be very aware of you resting heart rate. If yours is normally, say 55, and you notice over the course of a week or two that it's creeping up to or even passing 60, take heed. You might be in the process of unconsciously crossing that thin but crucial line into overtraining, which is bad.
Detraining is a very unpleasant time...

goaliepro.com offers a good insight into the type of physical strength training that is more geared to the goalies needs. Balance, co-ordination, core body and legs being the prominent target. Also, typical repair times are 48 hours. A friday work with a game on Saturday doesnt make much sense does it? Just use common sense when scheduling your weight sessions in season. Off season will be better to make gains while in season should be geared at maintaining.

http://goaliepro.com/en/resources/20...lternative.php

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
There is a reason goalies are lanky and yes it will hinder you. When you do add that extra muscle you do lose flexibility, and goalies train for stamina more than strength.
That's not necessarily true. If you make sure that flexibility training is a significant part of your daily workout, you can increase strength and become more flexible simultaneously.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
MikeD

I agree with Doctor No on that point. With an appropriate stretching routine, flexibility should not be hindered except in the most extreme cases. I am sure your not going about this looking for the Mr. Universe physique. Be sure to have an all inclusived daily stretch routine. I believe there is one example listed at goaliepro.com

Its funny you reply here, Doc. I was just looking at your site for info on Tommy Soderstom, who had went through a bout with overtraining in his days with the Islanders, I believe. His off season coming out of the AHL into the NHL, he worked VERY hard on weights and strength training (to prepare for the next level and combat the Parkinsons) to find that he had overtrained. Exhibiting the symptoms listed in my post above. Detraining was a major nightmare and required professional help. If you have a site stat tracker, Hughes net is ME...lol

Old
01-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Excellent point on Soderstrom. And I've got to get off of my butt and put up a new picture on his page!

Old
01-06-2007, 08:32 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
That's not necessarily true. If you make sure that flexibility training is a significant part of your daily workout, you can increase strength and become more flexible simultaneously.
but look what he says he is doing, usually 3X5 means you are adding a lot of muscle

Old
01-06-2007, 10:15 PM
theguy351

yea i am trying to get overall stronger.....the upper body stuff i dont go all out on bu ti focus on squats for legs deadlifts and rows for my back.....im trying to get into a daily yoga routine to keep my flexability up (along with my stretching)

Old
01-07-2007, 09:57 AM
MikeD

Quote:
but look what he says he is doing, usually 3X5 means you are adding a lot of muscle
Adding muscle with out a stretch routine can and will reduce joint flexibility, in the long and short term. With a daily stretch routine it isnt a concern. What is a concern is losing elasticity and explosiveness.

As with most things, balance is key. You want to be sure to not neglect one aspect while increasing another. Given the increased weight training, you may wish to include a plyometric or agility training day 48 hrs after the leg/core body day.

Again, in season isnt the time of year to be looking for rapid gains. You need to be physically and mentally ready for game day. Do not go over board. At your age, you can go one week on/one week off and not see major loss in gains with plyometric, agility and weight training. You know your body best so be aware and dont ignore what its telling you. Fatigue, insomnia, increased negative thought patterns all indicate a need to reduce when your schedule is loaded.

The link below is a downloadable year round fitness program that should suit your level of play. The second is for the next step up....

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/fitness16_17yrs.zip

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/pro_...te_program.zip

Old
01-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
It's true that he might be overdoing it (especially at his age).

But to give just one data point, my second year at CU my backup was also a competitive bodybuilder. And he was plenty flexible.

He also never seemed to worry about opponents roughing him up in the crease.

Old
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Goalie workout program

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
theguy351

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post

THAT IS MAD FUNNY!!!

Old
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
theguy351

Quote:
There is a reason goalies are lanky and yes it will hinder you. When you do add that extra muscle you do lose flexibility, and goalies train for stamina more than strength. What you describe is not a bad workout but it should be lower weight more reps. I would also focus more on your shoulders.

Hmm, im not lanky...the other goalie on my team is and he sucks....r there any good pro lanky goalies....all my favs arent.....Richter, Brodeur, Roy. My three favs all solid athletes.

Old
01-08-2007, 03:06 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy351 View Post
Hmm, im not lanky...the other goalie on my team is and he sucks....r there any good pro lanky goalies....all my favs arent.....Richter, Brodeur, Roy. My three favs all solid athletes.
Brody wouldnt fit he mold of a weight lifter or body builder, neither would Roy, luongo, Hasek...etc etc etc. Long and lean does not mean lacking physical strength. Thier target has been long muscle fiber over the short, which gives the large rounded bicep etc etc etc. Their body types would be considered lean. Well, not Roy now that he has been out of the game a while. He has packed on some weight! lol

Old
01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Kardi

up downs and do hrs of it a day and you'll be set

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 07:05 PM
theguy351

what if i were to do the weight lifting scheme i do, which is 3 days a week all days i dont play....then other days i am on the ice....on those days i run, do reflex stuff, balbance stuff and extensive stretching.....would it balbance out and keep me in good goalie shape......

Old
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
theguy351

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Brody wouldnt fit he mold of a weight lifter or body builder, neither would Roy, luongo, Hasek...etc etc etc. Long and lean does not mean lacking physical strength. Thier target has been long muscle fiber over the short, which gives the large rounded bicep etc etc etc. Their body types would be considered lean. Well, not Roy now that he has been out of the game a while. He has packed on some weight! lol
so you think these guys never did any weight training or your saying they just dont do it in season?

Old
01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy351 View Post
so you think these guys never did any weight training or your saying they just dont do it in season?
no they weight train they just don't do it to gain size, they do alot more reps at a lower weight as opposed to you who is doing less reps at a higher weight

Old
01-25-2007, 02:23 PM
MikeD

when lifting for gains...feel a little sore the next day?...it takes the body 2 full days to recover provided your diet is sufficient. When lifting for gains you need to increase protien content and reduce carbs. None of this fits the goalies needs for IN SEASON.

Old
01-25-2007, 02:24 PM
VisionQuest*

I do pushups and a ton of ab work.
Ive got ridiculously strong legs. As long as Im playing 3-4 times a week and running like I normally do, Im fine in that department.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 10:56 PM
theguy351

so you say if i got on a high rep low weight scheme that would be better for me in season, then off season switch back to low reps high weight....