HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Well any comments on Zherdev's first game?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Well any comments on Zherdev's first game?

If not I will! I watched the game on Centre Ice and he looked pretty good. You have to understand the situation, but he did well. One thing I noticed is he is small. But he has the skills set.

Almost 11 minutes of ice and a little PP time from the coach is nice to see. I look forward to following his NHL career.

BTW Rick Nash is my new favourite player

Old
12-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Jacob

vCash: 399
He got nothing out of two 2-on-1's and a partial breakaway, but he looks like an exciting player.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:42 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
If not I will! I watched the game on Centre Ice and he looked pretty good. You have to understand the situation, but he did well. One thing I noticed is he is small. But he has the skills set.

Almost 11 minutes of ice and a little PP time from the coach is nice to see. I look forward to following his NHL career.

Supposedly, w/everything going on and the time change, Z has had little sleep in the last 36 hours. I was at the game, so I didn't have the advantage of replay, but he made a couple of nice moves on some rushes into the Duck's zone. Looked like he belonged.

Glad he's finally here, and I'm looking forward to many years of watching him snipe from the wing off feeds from Fritsche, with Nasher in front to clean up the rebounds.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Look for defensemen to pinch against him. Ozo pinched all night long, and Zherdev barely noticed him, though it was his assignment (if MacLean gave him one). He could, of course, have had an assignment to stay up high and fake the outlet pass, though that's rare in today's NHL, and especially in Columbus, from what I've seen.

~Crazed.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:10 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
(snip) ...Ozo pinched all night long, and Zherdev barely noticed him, though it was his assignment (if MacLean gave him one). (snip)
~Crazed.
You're right. But doesn't Ozo pinch against anybody and everybody, particularly with his team down a goal in the latter half of a game? I could be wrong (I don't see the Ducks a lot), but that's my perception.

Z-dev did try a couple of time to get into the play in the defensive zone, and did look a bit lost. I think some confusion is to be expected and not a major issue as long as he's willing to make a real effort in the defensive end.

He seems to have a knack for finding open ice and chances to use his speed. If he can do that consistantly he'll be a lot of fun to watch!

Old
12-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Jovavic
Blood Legion

I remember a few times he backchecked in the neutral zone and stole the puck from the Duck player pretty cleanly.

Also, he's not really "small". Chistov...Bouchard are small. Zherdev is listed at 6'2" 190 lbs., and looks like it. He got popped a few times by Salei and Burrent but he popped right back up and enjoyed the play, really didn't seem to mind the rough stuff.

Old
12-03-2003, 03:16 AM
Mephisto

Quote:

Nash is a rock solid player...He's been amazing so far and looks like the real deal...

As for Zherdev, I think he'll look good as long as they don't ask him to play more defensive and less offensive. He's good already backchecking so shouldn't be too much of a problem. Him and Nash should be fun to watch., And Malhotra looked not bad either...

Old
12-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Bookman

vCash: 600
Nice to see Columbus getting some results at forward from their drafts.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I didn't get to see the game but am glad to hear he did well. All of the Top 4 picks in the NHL this year, that's pretty good.

Nash is such an exciting player and to think that he is still so young. I can honestly say that he is one of my favorite non-Panthers players in the league.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Also, he's not really "small". Chistov...Bouchard are small. Zherdev is listed at 6'2" 190 lbs., and looks like it. He got popped a few times by Salei and Burrent but he popped right back up and enjoyed the play, really didn't seem to mind the rough stuff.
I think 6-2 is an exaggeration. I remember seeing him next to Malhotra who is 6-2 and Zherdev looked a lot smaller. I would guess that he is about 5-11/6-0 and 190 pounds. Not really "small" and maybe I should have used a better word, but size isn't really one of his assets.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Captain8

Quote:
I remember a few times he backchecked in the neutral zone and stole the puck from the Duck player pretty cleanly.

Yea, the player I saw last night looked like a bigger version of Chistov with very similar attributes. Good vision, very good hands, quick feet, but not exceptionally fast. The extra inches will give him an opportunity to finish more plays and establish better position in the high-traffic areas.

The BJ's asst. GM was saying Kovalev, but I would have to see his shot to judge the plausibility of that projection. And he could probably use a bit more strength in the lower body.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:36 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I think 6-2 is an exaggeration. I remember seeing him next to Malhotra who is 6-2 and Zherdev looked a lot smaller. I would guess that he is about 5-11/6-0 and 190 pounds. Not really "small" and maybe I should have used a better word, but size isn't really one of his assets.
He looks to be at least 6 foot 1, IMO.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:58 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
He looks to be at least 6 foot 1, IMO.
Are we gonna split hairs here? :p

Old
12-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJF
You're right. But doesn't Ozo pinch against anybody and everybody, particularly with his team down a goal in the latter half of a game? I could be wrong (I don't see the Ducks a lot), but that's my perception.

Z-dev did try a couple of time to get into the play in the defensive zone, and did look a bit lost. I think some confusion is to be expected and not a major issue as long as he's willing to make a real effort in the defensive end.

He seems to have a knack for finding open ice and chances to use his speed. If he can do that consistantly he'll be a lot of fun to watch!
Agreed on all accounts. Ozo has toned down his offensive forays, but is still a threat, and if he's got a rookie out on the ice with him, he'll exploit him. It's the nature of the beast. Zherdev won't be known for his D in the way, say, Michalek will be, but it was nice to see him make an effort last night. Even if he's not effective in the defensive zone, if a coach doesn't respect what he did out there, then he shouldn't be coaching. He did something that he's not accustomed to doing as best he could, and the team won. Case closed, problem solved.

Columbus could have a gem on their hands, if they treat him well. Hopefully, the Jackets will do just that.

~Crazed.

Old
12-04-2003, 04:28 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Zherdev is basically fresh off the boat: just left his country, just met his new teammates, hasn't had any sleep, and hasn't had any practice time. I'd give him a month before we make any judgements on his game.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Vlad The Impaler

2nd game is live right now: Zherdev just scored a kickass goal, showcased some nice things.

Good skills, poise and strength. He never gave up on this one.

Unfortunately the goal was refused because of the stupid net moving.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Ejh18

Quote:
2nd game is live right now: Zherdev just scored a kickass goal, showcased some nice things.

Good skills, poise and strength. He never gave up on this one.

Unfortunately the goal was refused because of a PREDATOR moving the stupid net .
Fixed your post...

Old
12-04-2003, 02:40 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Unfortunately the goal was refused because of the stupid net moving.
Complete horsecrap call. The play wasn't affected by the net coming off, and besides, it was Zidlicky who knocked the friggin net off.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I wouldn't call it a kickass goal. I would call it a tough, scrapping, hard working goal where he outmuscled Zidlicky and beat Vokoun. Not the prettiest goal he'll score, but certainly loved the effort.

That being said, the rule is a rule and I don't know why it wasn't altered at the end of last year. It should only be ruled a no-goal if the goal was scored as a result of the net being dislodged.

Preds are playing the CBJ's stride for stride. Up until that Zherdev goal, we'd been playing very respectably for the previous 10 minutes or so.

Ironically, the first ever Pred goal scored was into a dislodged net. The refs reviewed it and said if it hadn't been dislodged, we would have scored. Ironic, I know.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Jovavic
Blood Legion

I guess all teams can have a defenseman back behind the net, and when things get dicy and a goal is about to be scored, just dislodge the net. No goal and no call.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I guess all teams can have a defenseman back behind the net, and when things get dicy and a goal is about to be scored, just dislodge the net. No goal and no call.
If they aren't going to call it, I would just sit Jamie Allison back there and let him lift the net at the slightest hint of danger. He'd definitely be a better player.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:33 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Now the kid is -2 on the game.
Neither were his fault unless it was Zherdev whom Hall creamed into the net to score the second goal.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:45 PM
SmokeyClause

It's even now, Harts has a goal disallowed in extremely similar fashion. Hartnell has hit two posts and had a goal disallowed. He also has an assists.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Ejh18

Zherdev(19) also just missed a close in shot that went just wide...

He was on the ice with Nash(19) and Aaron Johnson(20). Thats a a young group of kids to have out there.

Old
12-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Ejh18

Zherdev has had at least 5 scoring chances tonight including the dis-allowed goal..

He just scored and a sweet snap shot.

This kid has really shown some flashes of absolute brilliance tonight.

Closed Thread