HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's put things in perspective

Old
01-06-2007, 03:30 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Let's put things in perspective

I have read all the doom and gloom threads about our Habs so-called slump there is to read. Let's take a deep breath for a sec and look at some elite teams in the NHL and you may change your tune when it comes to judging our Habs. Keep in mind our Habs are 6-4 in their last 10 games and 3-4 (only one game under .500) in their last seven games.

Anaheim just lost to Columbus and are 4-6 in their last 10 games. Anaheim is considered by many to be the best team in the NHL and yet they have lost 4 in a row (yes, 4 games in a row). Imagine what they're fans are saying.

Let's look at Buffalo. Their record their last 10 games is 5-4-1. Hardly an elite win-loss record over ten games, but they're struggling as well. Are they coming back down to Earth much like a lot of people believe the Habs are? Certainly not.

San Jose. Another team who is said to be a Stanley Cup favourite this year and also has a stellar record overall at 27-14. Sadly enough and as good as they are they are only 5-5 in their last 10 games including two losses to Phoenix? (includes an 8-0 loss to Phoenix). What should their fans be saying? Trade Thornton and Cheechoo? No way.

You can see where I'm going with this. As bad as our Habs have seemed over the past few games they aren't experiencing anything different than the other elite teams in the league. You're probably thinking, elite? Yes, that's what I said. Montreal is and has been consistently one of the top teams in the league this year as their record has indicated.

Some so-called fans might say Montreal is lucky to have the record they do because of their Pk, PP, and goaltending and don't play 60 minutes every game. To that I say, do you really think Anaheim, San Jose, or Buffalo give 60 minutes every game and don't stink out the joint? Yes, they do. All good teams have weaknesses, but win because of their strengths. Each of those teams win because of their strengths whether it be great defense, great offense, great special teams, great goaltending or combinations of them. Please consider these things before complaining about how terrible the Habs are and how lucky they are. Stats don't lie, folks, especially after 40 games.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:52 AM
clvmcs

I ***** and complain when we loose. But when you put like that, compared to other teams, we're doing alright. I ***** because I hate to see them loose any game. I'm from the old days where they only lost 8-10 per yr. I'll always & forever be a habs fan.

clvmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 10:35 AM
habs86

vCash: 369
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I have read all the doom and gloom threads about our Habs so-called slump there is to read. Let's take a deep breath for a sec and look at some elite teams in the NHL and you may change your tune when it comes to judging our Habs. Keep in mind our Habs are 6-4 in their last 10 games and 3-4 (only one game under .500) in their last seven games.

Anaheim just lost to Columbus and are 4-6 in their last 10 games. Anaheim is considered by many to be the best team in the NHL and yet they have lost 4 in a row (yes, 4 games in a row). Imagine what they're fans are saying.

Let's look at Buffalo. Their record their last 10 games is 5-4-1. Hardly an elite win-loss record over ten games, but they're struggling as well. Are they coming back down to Earth much like a lot of people believe the Habs are? Certainly not.

San Jose. Another team who is said to be a Stanley Cup favourite this year and also has a stellar record overall at 27-14. Sadly enough and as good as they are they are only 5-5 in their last 10 games including two losses to Phoenix? (includes an 8-0 loss to Phoenix). What should their fans be saying? Trade Thornton and Cheechoo? No way.

You can see where I'm going with this. As bad as our Habs have seemed over the past few games they aren't experiencing anything different than the other elite teams in the league. You're probably thinking, elite? Yes, that's what I said. Montreal is and has been consistently one of the top teams in the league this year as their record has indicated.

Some so-called fans might say Montreal is lucky to have the record they do because of their Pk, PP, and goaltending and don't play 60 minutes every game. To that I say, do you really think Anaheim, San Jose, or Buffalo give 60 minutes every game and don't stink out the joint? Yes, they do. All good teams have weaknesses, but win because of their strengths. Each of those teams win because of their strengths whether it be great defense, great offense, great special teams, great goaltending or combinations of them. Please consider these things before complaining about how terrible the Habs are and how lucky they are. Stats don't lie, folks, especially after 40 games.
i complain lots,but i know we can not win every game (would be sweet but impossible). thanks for the great insight,i hope others will agree with me...you put some time,thought into your words,think we needed this boost of wisdom

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:00 AM
baldrick

Good post. Even the best teams experience slumps and have weaknesses, when you focus only on one team you tend to forget that. As passionate fans we tend to be more critical as a way to prepare ourselves for disapointment, we want to believe but too many years of mediocrity makes us cautious. The length and depth of the slump will be crucial as will management's reaction.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Good post. Even the best teams experience slumps and have weaknesses, when you focus only on one team you tend to forget that. As passionate fans we tend to be more critical as a way to prepare ourselves for disapointment, we want to believe but too many years of mediocrity makes us cautious. The length and depth of the slump will be crucial as will management's reaction.
So does having everyone in the lineup suffering from the flu

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Great points LesHabsRocks, very much in line with my thinking.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 03:03 PM
oli500

The ducks and even the sabres have lost a couple lately, its normal. were not going to have a 8-2 record every 10 games. This league is to talented for that to happen. If we loose one game im not going to complain because this team has played well enough in my opinion that it dosent deserve the bashing in the harsh treatment it got in the past. The one thing we have to avoid is that big 4 game loosing streak and so far we have. Your not going to hear any critisizism from me.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

I think we did well considering what we didn't have:

-Koivu
-Lats
-Bonk for half the game
-Streit and Dandy both not on D (read: Niinimaa is playing)

Realistically we'll be slumping for maybe 1 or 2 more games. Thankfully we play NJ tommorrow, and we never win that one anyways.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I think we are a good team but we are that offensive center away from exploding up to a great team. We need a trade...something like the Goring trade years back. We need that kind of a player

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Habs

I'm impressed with todays effort. If we lose with this type of effort, I'll always be happy.

I'm really impressed with Grabovsky, wow can this kid skate. Great hands as well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post

Great post!

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm impressed with todays effort. If we lose with this type of effort, I'll always be happy.

I'm really impressed with Grabovsky, wow can this kid skate. Great hands as well.
Can he be that second line center we need?

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:03 PM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
If Bonk it out long term, I can see Pleks going on the 3rd line, Koivu back on the 1st and Grabovski on the 2nd. He played really well with Sammy and Kovalev and created a lot of puck movement. Good game from him.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
Probably, but if we can't keep Lapierre up I doubt we could keep Grabovski up.

Edit: Good point about Bonk.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Toro

Good opening post...very true..

BUt i also agree with Rather Gingerly 1. We are a top center away from being as good or better than anaheim and buffalo.

Now in todays game vs the rangers we battled very hard and deserved at least a point but fell short. The guys should feel good about their performance being illo from the flu and all...as well as the missing koivu and lats.

but Grabovski really impressed me. He showed that he has the skill and speed but is a few pounds away from being the guy for the job full time in between kovalev and samsonov. He got knocked off the puck a lot, but he kept going hard, gotta love that. Maybe this taste of the big time lights a fire under his but and he stays!!!

Lapps looks like he will not be going back down. he is staying this time.IMO

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Good opening post...very true..

BUt i also agree with Rather Gingerly 1. We are a top center away from being as good or better than anaheim and buffalo.

Now in todays game vs the rangers we battled very hard and deserved at least a point but fell short. The guys should feel good about their performance being illo from the flu and all...as well as the missing koivu and lats.

but Grabovski really impressed me. He showed that he has the skill and speed but is a few pounds away from being the guy for the job full time in between kovalev and samsonov. He got knocked off the puck a lot, but he kept going hard, gotta love that. Maybe this taste of the big time lights a fire under his but and he stays!!!

Lapps looks like he will not be going back down. he is staying this time.IMO
A good center from being as good or better than Anaheim or Buffalo? Come on, compare the Top Players of each team...

Buffalo

Vanek
Briere
Drury
Afinogenov
Miller

Anaheim

Pronger
Niedermayer
Selanne
Penner
Getzlaf

Montreal

Koivu
Kovalev
Markov
Souray
Huet

I am not saying that we are a bad team, I think we are a good team with a bright future but at the moment we are not as good as those team even with a addtionnal strong center.

In my opinion, the Habs will be a VERY good team in 2 or 3 year but for this year, we will be a team fighting for a playoff spot and I will be extremely happy if we reach the second round in the playoff.

I think you guys need to respect others team capacities a little much. Otherwise every loss will be a major letdown.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 243
Do you have anything else to say than point out at some other teams and claim the Habs are fine ? Anaheim lost their goalies and one of their top D. San Jose took the problem by the horn and sent down Bernier and Carle. And Buffalo is doing just fine.

I know it's important to keep a positive attitude but the reality is that the Habs are now 3-5 in the last 8 and played only 2 playoffs teams in that span. Put that with the fact that everyone was healty until today and you get a slump.

Saying the team is in a slump dosen't mean youre a ''so-called fan'' and lack love for the team or whatever. There a difference between talking about it and being stupid and negative like some people are when even when the team wins.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
A good center from being as good or better than Anaheim or Buffalo? Come on, compare the Top Players of each team...
That's a little bit fallacious, IMHO. The game isn't played top 5 vs. top 5. The Habs are a four-line, three-pairing team with good depth throughout; that can be more valuable than top-end talent.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's a little bit fallacious, IMHO. The game isn't played top 5 vs. top 5. The Habs are a four-line, three-pairing team with good depth throughout; that can be more valuable than top-end talent.
Nope but when you have Pronger 30 mins on the ice and Niedermayer 30 mins on the ice, let's say that it kinda hard to score against those guys.

We have nowhere near the offensive capacities of the Sabres...Vanek is simply awesome this season, Briere , Drury and Afinogenov are once again very dangerous 5 on 5.

With a normal goaltender and a normal PP/PK, I am not sure we would have a playoff spot at the moment.

Old
01-06-2007, 05:34 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Thank you LesHabsRock, we needed that intelligent statistical analysis. Just goes to show the parity in the NHL.

Darn, I hope they can find a way to keep LaPierre and Grabovski in the big league.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
MM425

Good post.

Not to worry people, once this flu bug hurting the team passes, I'm sure they'll get back on track. They played well today considering... bounces just didn't go their way.

Grabo is a hell of a player!

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 05:45 PM
BLONG7

We have hit a rough spot for sure, but let's not get all crazy here, as previously mentioned, even the two teams that are expected to play for the cup in June have hit a rough spot...hopefully Koivu can play tomorrow, and they find a way to keep Grabovsky in the line up...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:08 PM
TheHoser

The way I see it, even if we're playing with half the team sick (Trust me, there are more guys feeling ill then they're letting on) and we're not playing very good hockey at all, we still only lose because the refs feel like waiving off perfectly legal goals in the most crucial moments.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I heartily approve of the original post

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
The way I see it, even if we're playing with half the team sick (Trust me, there are more guys feeling ill then they're letting on) and we're not playing very good hockey at all, we still only lose because the refs feel like waiving off perfectly legal goals in the most crucial moments.
Come on, you can't blame the refs for our losts. We can't score goals 5 on 5 and our defensive is doing terrible mistakes in their zones lately. The refs are hurting us, maybe, but we are not losing because of them.