HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Oilers want Pitkanen" Panaccio

Old
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
i would love that. every player on our team is a bum. said it already. lowe does not have the cajones to make that type of deal. it will be a safe one. we will stay mediocre.
If anything, it will be more like a cannonball than him slipping into the shallow end. Pronger, Peca, Roloson, Samsonov, and Spacek are not superstars(with possibly the exception of Pronger), but they are not depth players either.

If i had to guess, i say we pick up 2 defenseman before the season is over, both top 4 guys. Defensemen who are improvements over what we have now, and likely paid more as well.

Dr_Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Oilerfan_55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
If anything, it will be more like a cannonball than him slipping into the shallow end. Pronger, Peca, Roloson, Samsonov, and Spacek are not superstars(with possibly the exception of Pronger), but they are not depth players either.

If i had to guess, i say we pick up 2 defenseman before the season is over, both top 4 guys. Defensemen who are improvements over what we have now, and likely paid more as well.
Pronger is arguably the best player in the league. I dont think their is any doubt that he is a "superstar".

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
i would love that. every player on our team is a bum. said it already. lowe does not have the cajones to make that type of deal. it will be a safe one. we will stay mediocre.
At least we wont throw away our future for a 10% greater chance of making the playoffs this one season. Anyone could make the deals that put together an allstar team for 1 season. The problem is, you get your 1 season to win it all, followed by 6 years of being in the basement of the league.

When a team is really close to being a championship contender, it makes sense to trade away a little bit of their future to bolster their lineup and give it their best shot to win in the present. The oilers are not in the boat this year unfortunately this season.

Old
01-09-2007, 09:43 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
At least we wont throw away our future for a 10% greater chance of making the playoffs this one season. Anyone could make the deals that put together an allstar team for 1 season. The problem is, you get your 1 season to win it all, followed by 6 years of being in the basement of the league.

When a team is really close to being a championship contender, it makes sense to trade away a little bit of their future to bolster their lineup and give it their best shot to win in the present. The oilers are not in the boat this year unfortunately this season.
So we would want to pick deep draft years. Just kidding. The survival of this business depends on fielding a competitative team.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
We would still have Pitkanen's RFA rights after this season. That is a pretty good asset IMO.

Quote:
Last year we came from behind to grab 8th from Vancouver when they choked. We did not have a playoff spot when we traded for Samsonov or Roloson If I recall correctly.

Old
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
So we would want to pick deep draft years. Just kidding. The survival of this business depends on fielding a competitative team.
Exactly. You need to stay competitive for a playoff spot even in your so-called "rebuilding years", and then make a run for a championship every 5 or 6 years.

It is very difficult for a team to stay consistently at an elite level for more than a few seasons in todays NHL.

Old
01-09-2007, 10:12 PM
AVE MAN

Pitkanen not in the Philly line-up tonight...Is the deal done?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
And the oilers would not be doing the flyers a favour by taking a 5 million dollar popcorn-eater off their hands?
Not really. The only reason the Philadelphia media mentions trading Forsberg is because he's the only one with real value. And since this team is on the verge of a full blown rebuild, it wouldn't be real smart to trade Forsberg for anything more than a prospect or picks.
Quote:
PS - Just curious, you think the Oilers roster is worse than the Flyers?
Not even close. I was refferring to the Flyer roster, earlier. They suck; not even jesus himself could turn them around. It would take Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit playing defense, goal and forward, respectively to save them.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
Not really. The only reason the Philadelphia media mentions trading Forsberg is because he's the only one with real value. And since this team is on the verge of a full blown rebuild, it wouldn't be real smart to trade Forsberg for anything more than a prospect or picks.Not even close. I was refferring to the Flyer roster, earlier. They suck; not even jesus himself could turn them around. It would take Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit playing defense, goal and forward, respectively to save them.

Thanks for the clarification; the first reading made it sound like Horcoff was useless. Calling him useless on Philly's roster is of course, at this point in the season... more than fair.

Just for curiosity's sake, what's the perceived value of Forsberg at the deadline?

First and a mid-level prospect?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:22 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
I'll put a bullet in my head if Joni's traded, seriously. I can't take another thirty years without a Championship.
I'm sure Lowe will have no trouble tossing Smith and Wesson into the deal.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Thanks for the clarification; the first reading made it sound like Horcoff was useless. Calling him useless on Philly's roster is of course, at this point in the season... more than fair.

Just for curiosity's sake, what's the perceived value of Forsberg at the deadline?

First and a mid-level prospect?
It's what everyone comes back to. The ridiculous overpayment is two firsts, and no prospects; the low balling trade is Philly pays you.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

Just out of curiousity, what do you think it would take the oilers to pry Foppa and JP outta Philly?
I sincerely have no clue. However, it they move Pitkanen, I'm sure Smid or Greene are the guy they'd be interested in acquiring along with the usual trade suspects in Stoll, Lupul and Torres. I can't see them being interested in Horcoff, I'm thinking he's a little old for what they're trying to do.

01-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Pitkanen not in the Philly line-up tonight...Is the deal done?
Apparently he had the flu, but both the Oilers and Flyers each called up a defenseman today, so..

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:38 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I sincerely have no clue. However, it they move Pitkanen, I'm sure Smid or Greene are the guy they'd be interested in acquiring along with the usual trade suspects in Stoll, Lupul and Torres. I can't see them being interested in Horcoff, I'm thinking he's a little old for what they're trying to do.
Stoll is going absolutely nowhere. If he were traded for anything short of Crosby and Ovechkin in a 3 way deal in which Pittsburgh gets Iginla and Phaneuf, I would be upset.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Stoll is going absolutely nowhere. If he were traded for anything short of Crosby and Ovechkin in a 3 way deal in which Pittsburgh gets Iginla and Phaneuf, I would be upset.
I wouldn't be too upset if we traded Stoll for Malkin.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
1999 -> To ETOWN: Crosby and Ovechkin
To PITTSBURGH: Iginla and Phaneuf
To: COWTOWN: Stoll and a 2008 7th rounder (EDM)?

Iiiiii dunno

But Yeah, I totally sympathize with your point, Stoll is a machine and our next captain....seriously, I think he'll get it over Smytty when Smith leaves. Or at least that's what I'd do.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext View Post

Iiiiii dunno

But Yeah, I totally sympathize with your point, Stoll is a machine and our next captain....seriously, I think he'll get it over Smytty when Smith leaves. Or at least that's what I'd do.
Actually Calgary gets Jarkko Rutuu, and the Caps get Kipper. Yeah that's about right.

I wouldn't disagree with giving Stoll the C over Smyth, as long as he truly deserves it in the room. I don't see them skipping over Smytty if they sign him though.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
oilerfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyman View Post
Firstly, do you know who Pitkanen is? Have you seen him play? Secondly, how exactly is he comparable to Niinimaa?

No offense but i'm calling you out on west coast bias here. I like listening to Pierre Mcguire too, but come on... Niinimaa as a Pitkanen comparable? Philly fans would laugh in your face, Philly's GM would laugh even harder.

It's something to think about, but you do realize how the quality of a team effects a young player, especially their stats right? Now i'm not dissing Phaneuf, as he was a highschool buddy, but he wouldn't be doing anymore than Pitkanen currently is on the Flyers. Now think of Pitkanen on Calgary... I can GUARANTEE, he'd be posting a nice +/-, and numbers equal to or greater than Phaneuf is currently putting up. It's the same thing with a guy like Mezsaros on Ottawa, put that guy on Philly and i'm sure you'd have a whole different opinion on the guy.

No offense taken, but its not west coast bias. (And by the way, Edmonton isn't on the west coast) :-)

You stated in a later post that you weren't around for the younger Niinimaa days. His rookie seasons he was a point every other game d-man. Everyone (west coast & east coast) thought he was going to turn out to be an all-star franchise player. When the Oilers landed him in a trade from Philly, wow, did the fans here go bonkers. We had our Norris Trophy candidate. The bottom line is Pitkanen has the potential, just like Niinamaa had. That is where the comparison is. And by the way, it is Philly Fans saying they might have another Niinimaa because they SAW Niinimaa in his rookie & sophmore days. You can't help but compare the two.

My comparison with Phaneuf is that Pitkanen doesn't punish opposing players like Phaneuf and both can move the puck.

oilerfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'm sure Lowe will have no trouble tossing Smith and Wesson into the deal.
Ahhh and you had the much easier Winchester reference at your disposal! Don't know if you missed it or were going for depth

01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
jadeddog

i just thought id chime in with my comments about janne vs. pitkanen.... the two are actually pretty good comparisons (at least through their first few seasons).... pitkanen had more hype around him when he first broke into the league than janne did, but that can be attributed to janne being 36th overall and pitkanen being 4th overall.....lets look at their stats through their first two seasons:

niinimaa
154 GP, 8 g, 79 a, 87 pts, +25, 88 PIM, 0.56 PPG

pitkanen
129 GP, 21 g, 52 a, 73 pts, +37, 122 PIM, 0.57 PPG

the stats are almost exactly the same, and both players played on fairly good philly teams with jannes teams finishing with 103 and 95 points and pitkanens version of the flyers finishing with 101 and 101 points..... so far we are looking at almost the exact same player.... there isnt even really a difference in age at which these two players were putting up these numbers.... janne was 21 and 22 for his first two years and pitkanen was 20 and 22 (the year gap being due to the lockout)

so really your looking at draft position as the only difference between the two players..... they are about as good as two comparables could be (hell, they're both from finland as well), and i cant see how anybody could argue otherwise

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
slebbeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
hell, they're both from finland as well
And from same team (Oulun Kärpät)...

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:41 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext View Post

Iiiiii dunno

Calgary doesn't make out too well here, but Washington really gets screwed.

MrMackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Yea, that was the way i figure it as well, and i would also add Hemsky to their list of demands without a doubt. The only thing i don't agree with is Horcoff. I think after having Petr Nedved as their best defensive center this season, Horc would be very welcome to match up against other teams top lines. I am sure they miss Primeau and Handzus and would like a player of similar ilk.

Old
01-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey View Post
Calgary doesn't make out too well here, but Washington really gets screwed.
This is, of course, after Pittsburgh acquires Ovy for Talbot, that guy can really play poker!

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote