HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Oilers want Pitkanen" Panaccio

Old
01-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
If Torres goes than Id hope we grab Downie as well. Downie seems like a player that will grow into a physical pest with a good scoring touch and nose for the net. In 3-4 years, Downie could be the player Torres is/will be. That beind said, I can't see PHI giving up Downie as well with Pitkanen.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The problem is that Pitkanen is worth a decent bit more than Lupul and Greene. Come on guys, the kid is damn close to Phaneuf in terms of young defencemen and he's going to be incredibly elite if he stays healthy.
But he is a risk since he has been injury prone this past year with Knee and hip/ab injuries

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
How about MAB, Lupul and a pick for Pitkanen?
keep dreaming

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:10 PM
redsox18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Money works out, Oilers have their Dman and the Flyers have two quality wingers moving forward. Pisani's 2.5M contract isn't a roadblock imo, in fact that deal (Pisani + Raffi for Pitkanen + Kapanen) is a trade worth considering (although I don't think the Oilers would/should make it).
See I think its the other way around, the Flyers would not accept it. I think people on this board are undervaluing just how good Pitkanen is. He is a no. 1 defenceman in the making and he's only 23. Sure people look at his -20 and think less of him but don't forget he was +22 in 58 games last season, his +/- this season is more a product of his team around him.

Don't get me wrong Torres is a good player but he is not a top line player and will probably cap out at a max of 60pts/season and Pisani is a good checking forward with the ability to score. But don't forget Kapanen is a good two-way forward in his own right with the ability to score as well.

Pitkanen is the best player in this deal and thats why it'll take more for the Oilers to get him.

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
But he is a risk since he has been injury prone this past year with Knee and hip/ab injuries
Pitkanen has not missed a single NHL game due to any knee injuries, last season he missed 28 games due to a torn abdominal muscle, this season he's had a hip flexor (2 games) and a abdominal strain (1 game).

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

This doesn't shock me at all.....Lowe tried really hard to get Pitkanen when Philly jumped in a stole him from Tampa. Ladislav Smid is a great young d-man, but if it wouldn't take a whole lot more then Smid, say Smid and Dubnyk, maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder too, I'd do it. Pitkanen in my mind will be better then Smid 5 years from now, and 10 years from now, and currently he is better then Smid. Having said all that, Philly is rebuilding (at least this year they are) so why would they deal there franchise d-man??? I believe the fact that Lowe is doing everything he can to get Pitkanen but I believe it is a lost cause. I don't get why everyone wants to toss a million forwards Philly's way in trade offers...I mean I know why because we've got a million of them, but you would have to throw an offer that makes sense for the Flyers....they're brutal in net and on the blueline, so that's the kind of things you have to give them, ESPICALLY if you're to get there franchise d-man.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
Yet - it still makes no sense from a Philly perspective.

I can't see them trading a 22 year old defenseman that has 94 points in 166 regular season games, that is averaging over 25 minutes a night this season, and signed to a resonable contract for Torres and Pisani. Kapanen is a serviceable player for his 1.5 million salary - can't see the Flyers throwing him in.

Torres is a quality second line player (perhaps first on a few teams,) but he's playing in a contract year - he'll likely get a substantial raise next year (2.25m/yr?) If he were signed to a longer term, he would have more value. Pisani is a quality third liner on any team, but he has an expensive contract, and has likely peaked in terms of value.

If a fan of another team proposed on these boards that Edmonton trade Smid and Reasoner for a second liner with upside and a journeyman quality third liner - I'm sure the response would be interesting

Well, I think Pisani is significantly better than you've framed the issue, but Pitkanen certainly is a valuable asset.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
See I think its the other way around, the Flyers would not accept it. I think people on this board are undervaluing just how good Pitkanen is. He is a no. 1 defenceman in the making and he's only 23. Sure people look at his -20 and think less of him but don't forget he was +22 in 58 games last season, his +/- this season is more a product of his team around him.

Don't get me wrong Torres is a good player but he is not a top line player and will probably cap out at a max of 60pts/season and Pisani is a good checking forward with the ability to score. But don't forget Kapanen is a good two-way forward in his own right with the ability to score as well.

Pitkanen is the best player in this deal and thats why it'll take more for the Oilers to get him.
Agreed on all counts there. I don't think the disconnect in our views is around Pitkanen, who is clearly a quality asset. I value Pisani a whole lot more than some, imo he has been one of the Oilers best fwds this season and there's little doubt Stoll and Torres were flailing until they lined up with Fernando.

Which seems to happen a lot. Having said that, the Flyers might certainly want and get more than Raffi and Fernando for Pitkanen and Kapanen.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
keep dreaming
I was just asking when I put it down, I knew it wasn't that great. No need to be a ****** bag.

chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Perhaps something to keep in mind: Lowe apparently tried very hard at the draft to trade up and grab Pitkanen. As he's shown in the past with the Lupul and Torres trades, it might take a while but he often ends up getting the guy he wants.
IMO this is a point that shouldn't be overlooked.

Lowe is a very tenacious guy, and more often that not if there's someone he's pining for, that player somehow finds his way into wearing Oiler silks.

Anyway, who knows right?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 06:35 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Philly would never trade him, although if I was Lowe id be offering Torres, Greene and or Chorney and a 1st.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya View Post
Smid, Gilbert, Schremp or Cogs, & Ana 1st or 2nd for Pitkanen?
To me Smid will be as good a player in a few years - he has way more upside than most give him credit for. To me moving Smid ++++ for Pitkanen is not the way to proceed - neither is Torres and Lupul for Pitkanen, I just cannot see that happening especially the way Torres has been playing and the upside on Lupul despite sub-par play thus far.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

If the only choice is Lupul and Torres for Pitkanen, I say we pass. I'd prefer to keep both our young wingers and let them develop. Even if that means finishing low.

If we can get Pitkanen for one of them plus a 1st or a 2nd and Chorney/Gilbert, then I say we do it.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If the only choice is Lupul and Torres for Pitkanen, I say we pass. I'd prefer to keep both our young wingers and let them develop. Even if that means finishing low.

If we can get Pitkanen for one of them plus a 1st or a 2nd and Chorney/Gilbert, then I say we do it.
Just my thought, but I'll bet the Lupul/Torres thing is more wishful thinking from Philadelphia's end than anything Lowe has ran up a flagpole.

The more I think about it, the more I think this isn't as crazy as it initially sounds.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
The problem is that Pitkanen is worth a decent bit more than Lupul and Greene. Come on guys, the kid is damn close to Phaneuf in terms of young defencemen and he's going to be incredibly elite if he stays healthy.

I think everyone is missing this point. Pitkanen is a great young player, and next to Phaneuf he's the best young Defenseman. He's shown he can play at the highest level (The NHL).

Young D-Men have more value then young forwards. And what reason does Philly have to trade him? And no, Carter is not going the other way in almost any deal.

Pitkanen + Carter + Richards = Building Blocks for Philly

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 09:56 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
To me Smid will be as good a player in a few years - he has way more upside than most give him credit for.
If you're talking about being a puck mover or a dman that can handle the tough matchups in the future, I could buy that (though, Smid has struggled this year with the added pressures of seeing tougher opposition than a rookie normally sees). However, I don't think Smid has ever had the offensive capability in him that Pitkanen did when they were drafted in their respective drafts.

Joni put up 20 pts in 35 games in Karpat the year before he came over to the States. Smid has never really come to that level of production Czech Republic or NA.

That's not to take anything away from Smid as a player... but I don't think the offensive upside was ever the same between those in terms of potential.

Suffice it to say, I'd bet Lowe has other ideas in mind for a dman to pick up for this season. I'd rather run after Zhitnik in Philly than Pitkanen because the price is surely cheaper and we know he's available. Zhitnik's not too shabby in terms of pp production either. (I think the last time I checked he was at 4 ppp/hr this season)

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 10:02 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Oilers fans are being pretty ignorant/one-sided in both of the Pitkanen threads here. As PY already mentioned, our defense is horrible. Knowing that, shouldn't you at least include a defenseman/or defensemen in your proposals, even if they are just fantasy? It would take Smid, plus much, much more to even sound reasonable.

Not one proposal has even included a defenseman coming back to the Flyers. At least think it out from both sides before you start making proposals.
This thread was based on a rumour from the Philadelphia Inquirer NOT on an Oiler fan proposal so I am not sure why every one of your posts seems to be condenscending?

That being said I have Centre Ice and while I agree Pitkanen is a good young dman he is having a subpar year and there are also questions on his health.

Whether you like it or not this lowers his trade value right now and this is NOT the first rumour I have read this year about Pitkanen from various media sources. This indicates that the Flyers have had discussions about trading him.

While I think Oiler fans may be underestimating what it would take to get Pitkanen I believe you are overvaluing what Pitkanen would command in a trade at this time IF he were traded.

This trade doesn't make sense IMO for the Flyers and unless a forward is coming the Oilers way I don't see this making sense from an Oiler perspective either. I don't see this trade happening but it wasn't an Oiler fan that made it up it was a Philly reporter. Why does that reporter think it makes sense? Maybe that's a question for Philly fans?

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 01-06-2007 at 10:09 PM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:41 PM
21Gator*

Man Eklund has now confirmed these talks are ongoing and promises more tomorrow. It is Eklund, but I really didn't think this type of deal was possible. And now it seems to have a little credibility.

I've said it before, I'd kill for Pitkanen. Scares me to think we wouldn't have Torres. But I like Winch's physicality, and hopefully JFJ could step up.

Damn, I'm getting excited. Please, please, please.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:46 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Man Eklund has now confirmed these talks are ongoing and promises more tomorrow. It is Eklund, but I really didn't think this type of deal was possible. And now it seems to have a little credibility.

I've said it before, I'd kill for Pitkanen. Scares me to think we wouldn't have Torres. But I like Winch's physicality, and hopefully JFJ could step up.

Damn, I'm getting excited. Please, please, please.
I hear ya, I'm getting excited too. But as you eluded to, this is Eklund - and the fact that he spelled Lupul's name wrong was rather funny.

EDIT: He also goes on to say that the deal won't likely happen until February, and is dependant on several factors including the play of Nedved.

01-06-2007, 11:48 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
To me Smid will be as good a player in a few years - he has way more upside than most give him credit for. To me moving Smid ++++ for Pitkanen is not the way to proceed - neither is Torres and Lupul for Pitkanen, I just cannot see that happening especially the way Torres has been playing and the upside on Lupul despite sub-par play thus far.
I can guarantee that Smid will not ever be anything like the player Pitkanen is/will be. Smid is a fine D man and will get much better but he does not have the skill set Pitkanen has- not many do. What do the Flyers have in the pipeline to suggest they can make this type of a deal? The Flyers will not be moving Pitkanen unless there is a d man coming back. Torres, Lupul, Pisani? Fine players but they will not fetch a Pitkanen.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Mr Sakich

pitkanen is 3 years from ufa, arbitration eligible in all 3 of them. We keep thinking of his potential but I would rather have him as a free ufa in 3 years rather than trading away the farm for him now.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Once again people, it would take a PACKAGE around Smid, probably Smid, Dubnyk(since there young goaltenders don't look at that promising and we know there current starters aren't), and you would still probably throw in a Gilbert, or Syvret, or Jaques or a 2nd round pick. Having said all this, I'd still do it, Pitkanen is the show! Do I think Philly would do it? No, but I hope they would be interested in a fair package like that.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
21Gator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Once again people, it would take a PACKAGE around Smid, probably Smid, Dubnyk(since there young goaltenders don't look at that promising and we know there current starters aren't), and you would still probably throw in a Gilbert, or Syvret, or Jaques or a 2nd round pick. Having said all this, I'd still do it, Pitkanen is the show! Do I think Philly would do it? No, but I hope they would be interested in a fair package like that.
The rumour is Lupul and Torres. But I think a Dman needs to be added. No way Pitkanen gets traded for a handful of prospects. If they want Lupul and Torres there is no way Smid is part of the deal. I could see adding Greene+ if they add (Sanderson or Knuble or York) and Downie.

MAB looked okay with Roy, so our D pairning could be

Gator/Pitkanen

Staois/Smid

MAB/Roy/Hedja/Tjarnqvist

Not sure how our forwards would shake out.

Last edited by 21Gator*: 01-07-2007 at 12:39 AM.
21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:54 AM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
The rumour is Lupul and Torres. But I think a Dman needs to be added. No way Pitkanen gets traded for a handful of prospects. If they want Lupul and Torres there is no way Smid is part of the deal. I could see adding Greene+ if they add (Sanderson or Knuble or York) and Downie.

MAB looked okay with Roy, so our D pairning could be

Gator/Pitkanen

Staois/Smid

MAB/Roy/Hedja/Tjarnqvist

Not sure how our forwards would shake out.
I am pretty sure that if we ended up doing this deal, a high end forward rent a player would be on our team before the deadline as well.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:38 AM
punk_o_holic

If Torres is going then I want Ben Eager although there is no use for him other then protect are players. I only want him because if my fav Oiler is getting traded, I want one of my players in the NHL to come to EDM. Although I prefer to keep Torres over getting Eager.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote