Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Jeff Friesen

Old
10-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

vCash: 500
Jeff Friesen

Can someone explain to me exactly what his role is on this team please? Eight games in and still no goals! Tell me Sutter didn't just sign this guy for $1.6 million to be a third/fourth line player on this team.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 01:07 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
Can someone explain to me exactly what his role is on this team please? Eight games in and still no goals! Tell me Sutter didn't just sign this guy for $1.6 million to be a third/fourth line player on this team.

I was wondering when we would be seeing you again.

Your question, should have been answered by the game against Phoenix. These days, there are players capable of scoring on the third line. Calgary is no exception. Depth is important. Friesen might have some goals if he played more minutes each game. I like what he brings to the club. To each, his own I guess.

Just wondering, how are you feeling about the performance of Langkow and Lombardi? You haven't had much to say about it lately.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Lunatik*

speed, energy, penalty killing,winning battles in the corners... everything he is doing extremely well

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:10 PM
natural420*

friesen is expected to score 10-15 goals this year, he is another amonte, and they will both hit the 10 goal mark no doubt, i dont know what you wanted from him. we all knew friesen wasnt going to score 20-25 goals. but i guess your just trying to find the one weekness thats apparant after a dominant 6-1 win.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
friesen is expected to score 10-15 goals this year, he is another amonte, and they will both hit the 10 goal mark no doubt, i dont know what you wanted from him. we all knew friesen wasnt going to score 20-25 goals. but i guess your just trying to find the one weekness thats apparant after a dominant 6-1 win.
Believe me, he is just holding back waiting for a loss.....then he can jump all over the Flames and say "I told you so....they won't even make the playoffs". Chance number one for him will be tomorrow against Nashville.

With the Oil in a little trouble, and the Flames starting to score a bit, I figure the trolls will abandon us for a bit.

Old
10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post

With the Oil in a little trouble, and the Flames starting to score a bit, I figure the trolls will abandon us for a bit.
yea, iam waiting for them to show up in the "offensive punch" thread somebody started. but i think they know its a reality and will keep their mouths shut

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:04 AM
RecreationalMalice*

Hope you guys are having fun with out pal Friesen.

Nice guy, but didn't quite do what was expected of him here in Washington.

Same with Cassels.

RecreationalMalice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:04 AM
RecreationalMalice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecreationalMalice View Post
Hope you guys are having fun with our pal Friesen.

Nice guy, but didn't quite do what was expected of him here in Washington.

Same with Cassels.
I can't edit my posts because I've gotten too many warnings, consider this an edit.

Old
10-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecreationalMalice View Post
I can't edit my posts because I've gotten too many warnings, consider this an edit.
from everything i have heard Friesen didnt want to go to washington... apperently he was a great guy in NJ... then i heard in DC he did a 360 and was kinda a *****... same when he was traded earlier in his career away from san jose... but one could think he will be happy again since he chose to come to calgary... he is working extremely hard so far and is doing great in the corners and on the PK

and... too many warnings and only 104 posts??

Old
10-28-2006, 02:00 AM
RecreationalMalice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
from everything i have heard Friesen didnt want to go to washington... apperently he was a great guy in NJ... then i heard in DC he did a 360 and was kinda a *****... same when he was traded earlier in his career away from san jose... but one could think he will be happy again since he chose to come to calgary... he is working extremely hard so far and is doing great in the corners and on the PK

and... too many warnings and only 104 posts??
And yeah, I'm sure Friesen didn't want to be in Washington, but you couldn't really tell. At least I couldn't. He scored sometimes, but he had problems finishing. I mean, it wasn't like when Jagr was with us. Obviously that bum didn't want to be with us.

But here's to hoping that Friesen produces for you guys.

Last edited by kruezer: 10-28-2006 at 02:02 AM. Reason: No discussing warnings, and I won't get eaten alive anywhere thanks
Old
10-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
speed, energy, penalty killing,winning battles in the corners... everything he is doing extremely well
For $1.6 million, he's got to put the puck in the net as well IMHO. Eric Nystrom can do all that for half the price.

10-12 goals, is that too much to ask?

Old
10-28-2006, 11:10 AM
chriss_co

nystrom is a rookie... friesen is experienced... thats why friesen is playing in the nhl right now... i think 800K is enough for me to play friesen over nystrom (plus nystrom is still injured right now)

and i think friesen is a faster skater than nystrom.. correct me if im wrong

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 11:26 AM
abracanada

Quote:
For $1.6 million, he's got to put the puck in the net as well IMHO. Eric Nystrom can do all that for half the price.

If all you've got to complain about is the way the Flames are spending their money, then I guess we're in pretty good shape.

Old
10-28-2006, 01:06 PM
JayByrd

Send a message via AIM to JayByrd Send a message via MSN to JayByrd
Friesen was a gamble that so far has not paid off. His upside is still 20+ goals, and this is probably his last chance to show he can do that. If he was scoring, he'd be a bargain...if he's not scoring, he's a somewhat overpaid bottom-six forward. He at least is a solid enough hockey player to be serviceable if he's not scoring, so I suppose we could have done worse.

JayByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Ronald Pagan

Friesen's been one of our top forwards. Just because you don't get alot of points doesn't mean you aren't contributing in other ways.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
If all you've got to complain about is the way the Flames are spending their money, then I guess we're in pretty good shape.
Have you checked the standings lately? I hardly think we're in "pretty good shape."

Old
10-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Have you checked the standings lately? I hardly think we're in "pretty good shape."
"Games in hand" , if the Flames take advantage of the 2-5 games they have in hand on the teams above them, then they'll be back in a playoff spot

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

Nystrom's cap hit is only 100k less than Friesen's

Old
10-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
"Games in hand" , if the Flames take advantage of the 2-5 games they have in hand on the teams above them, then they'll be back in a playoff spot
"If" being the operative word. 'If' the Flames take advantage of the 2-5 games they have in hand on the teams above them. Newsflash my friend, the teams above us are giving no hints that they're going to start losing games anytime soon. The Flames are digging themselves a big hole early in the season, a hole they may not be able to get themselves out of this time around.

Old
10-29-2006, 02:54 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
"If" being the operative word. 'If' the Flames take advantage of the 2-5 games they have in hand on the teams above them. Newsflash my friend, the teams above us are giving no hints that they're going to start losing games anytime soon. The Flames are digging themselves a big hole early in the season, a hole they may not be able to get themselves out of this time around.
Last season

After 10 games
BUF 5-5-0-=10pts
EDM 4-5-1-= 9pts
SJ 4-5-1-=9pts
ANA 2-5-1=5pts
The two western conference finalists were under .500 point percentage after 10 games.

Calgary this season

3-4-1=7pts (8games)

Theres no need to overreact this early into the season.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:40 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Last season

After 10 games
BUF 5-5-0-=10pts
EDM 4-5-1-= 9pts
SJ 4-5-1-=9pts
ANA 2-5-1=5pts
The two western conference finalists were under .500 point percentage after 10 games.

Calgary this season

3-4-1=7pts (8games)

Theres no need to overreact this early into the season.
Thanks for that post, maybe this will help people to understand just how long the season is. Not that Calgary doesn't need to play better, but radical changes are not the best option right now.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
Thanks for that post, maybe this will help people to understand just how long the season is. Not that Calgary doesn't need to play better, but radical changes are not the best option right now.

Actually of those teams, SJ and Edm did make some drastical changes that helped them made the playoff (Thornton, Pronger, Roloson) and the other two teams had hot shot rookies (Vanek, Getzlaf, Perry...) which the Flames dont have any.

Unless Tanguay gets going anytime soon, they are toast.

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Actually of those teams, SJ and Edm did make some drastical changes that helped them made the playoff (Thornton, Pronger, Roloson) and the other two teams had hot shot rookies (Vanek, Getzlaf, Perry...) which the Flames dont have any.

Unless Tanguay gets going anytime soon, they are toast.
I don't think the thing was to compare the content of the teams in any way, but to demonstrate that things can be turned around and there is time for that to happen here too.

I think we do have some hotshot young players in Phaneuf, Kobasew and Lombardi. We did have considerable changes in the addition of Tanguay and Friesen.

To put the Nashville game in perspective, the Pred's were lucky in several ways. First of all, they came in and played a team that has been fairly inactive game wise, the Pred's got every break possible when it came to penalties (not only that the Flames were shorthanded for the better part of two periods, but that the Preds could have and should have been called for a five minute penalty when Kariya cut Kobasew with his stick). The way the Flames responded in the third, was a good indication of the teams mettle.

Last year, Nashville kicked the Flames butt several times, and that was with Phaneuf and Yelle playing. The Preds were hanging on at the end. If they didn't have all of the above advantages, things could have turned out differently.

Iginla really took the game in hand in the last period, and very nearly pulled it out. That is a good sign from the teams leader. He also is on pace for 45 goals and 82 points as well. I would not write the team off based on last nights performance. There were some positives. It was disappointing but there is a way out, and I believe they are finding it.

If they stay the hell out of the penalty box, and they get started earlier, they can win these games. It is little consolation but at least, the third period demonstrates they have the talent to play with the Preds. I would be more worried if they couldn't handle them.

Old
10-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Calgary this season
3-4-1=7pts (8games)
3-5-1 now (9games)

Speaking of Friesen, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 0 +/-, 0 PIM, 0 SOG last night. Great game there Freezy - zeros galore!

Old
10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
abracanada

Quote:
3-5-1 now (9games)

Speaking of Friesen, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 0 +/-, 0 PIM, 0 SOG last night. Great game there Freezy - zeros galore!
The scapegoats used to be the centers, and now it is Friesen. Very smooth.