HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Time for Optimism

Old
01-06-2007, 10:24 PM
ClosetOilersFan

vCash: 500
A Time for Optimism

After sweeping through a handful of threads, it is not difficult to notice the panic that is growing among the Oilers faithful - or not so faithful. Times have been rough. We have witnessed the collapse of the Oilers... from first in the division to out of the playoffs. After an abysmal couple of weeks, the Oilers have encountered bad luck - losing games that had wins written on them... bad bounces, unhumanlike goaltending, the works.

So why a time for optimism?

(1) We're not much different than we were last year. I've read a half-dozen reasons to explain our suckage, including things such as the departure of Pronger, Spacek, Sammy, etc. We did not have most of the players who left before the deadline, let alone before the all-star break to begin with, and we're performing equally well (or equally poor) as last season. In fact - even with the lineup of Pronger and the other stars, we nearly missed the playoffs until being outsucked by Vancouver. What happened? We were a game away from winning the Stanley Cup.

(2) We've always been streaky. I can not remember a year when Edmonton was not a hot for two weeks, cold for two weeks type of team (in fact, the streaks were often longer than that). To compensate for our summer-like winter, the Oilers have endured a cold spell that could freeze hell - we're due for a hot streak. The unlucky losses are a sign to me that the Oilers are sprouting from the icey cold ground and about to roll into a hot streak.

(3) KLO is warming up his cannons for battle. Plucking Nedved for one-half his salary for one half the season (therefore, 1/4 of his salary against the cap), is a sign that the man (KLO) is about begin striking. He's warming up for the post all-star break and will pluck many more Spacek, Sykora, Nedved, Sammy-like players to fuel a playoff drive or playoff success.

(4) Part of our downfall has been due to hot runs from division rivals... like us, they're streaky and are likely to fall in the relatively near future; therefore, as we get hot, they go cold, and we resurface at the top of our division.

Ultimately, despite one ****** run, the Oilers are a mere 2 points from a playoff seed and 5 points from division lead (and therefore 3rd place in the conference). Time to panic? I think not. There's still HALF the season left. Why fire the coach or make major changes? Its premature! As we are well aware: KLo will come through with brilliant moves when required, and McT works best under pressure - when the time comes, we will witness hockey brilliance, and another Oilers playoff run.

Throw on those rose coloured glasses of yours and enjoy the rest of the season.

Side Note: Im traditionally a cynic who usually attempts to discourage unrealistic thinking but really, the situation is not serious (as of yet).

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 10:28 PM
goggog

last year, half way through the season we had 50 points WITH Conkannen

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggog View Post
last year, half way through the season we had 50 points WITH Conkannen
The division dynamics were different. Relative to our competition, we're doing as well or better than last year.

Old
01-07-2007, 03:52 AM
schreibkrampf
HFBoards Sponsor

here, here. There is far too much panic right now. Time for us fans to settle down and enjoy some Oilers hockey. I have been very impressed with the teams efforts over the past week, which gives me signs that are breakout is not too far away.

schreibkrampf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSportsBeat View Post
here, here. There is far too much panic right now. Time for us fans to settle down and enjoy some Oilers hockey. I have been very impressed with the teams efforts over the past week, which gives me signs that are breakout is not too far away.
That's definitely one of the major forces behind my optimism.

Old
01-09-2007, 03:15 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Looks like the reason for optimism is starting to show some light

Old
01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Although I agree with optimism, last year we were one goalie away, this year seems like we have more holes to fill and the clientele seems thinner than last year.

I'd still like to believe one d-man will shake us up though.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:17 PM
OilRick

vCash: 1007
Yet one more reason to be optimistic, we have 6 out of a possible 8 points the last 4 games. Not too shabby.

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Although I agree with optimism, last year we were one goalie away, this year seems like we have more holes to fill and the clientele seems thinner than last year.

I'd still like to believe one d-man will shake us up though.
I think the Oilers are closer than most are giving them credit for. If Lowe can somehow get 2 top-4 guys, lookout.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:06 AM
SkiAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Justin View Post
The division dynamics were different. Relative to our competition, we're doing as well or better than last year.
Yes, good point, the field that we play in is dramatically different than last year and the points are spread around alot more. Thanks for keepin' it real.

SkiAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
Yet one more reason to be optimistic, we have 6 out of a possible 8 points the last 4 games. Not too shabby.
We also gave up 5 out of 6 pts in the 3 conference games in the last 3 games. Which essentially does nothing to gain ground

But its better than the 4 losses that closed out 2006 where we got zero pts.

With conference or Divisional matchups some regulation time wins are recommended to gain ground.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:16 AM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
We also gave up 5 out of 6 pts in the 3 conference games in the last 3 games. Which essentially does nothing to gain ground

With conference or Divisional matchups some regulation time wins are recommended to gain ground.
You definitely make a valid point. Even if we drop the point we gave to LA since at this point, they're not a serious threat - nor are we chasing them - we still gave up 4 of a possible 6 pts to division rivals: Dallas, who we may very well end up fighting for a playoff birth walked away with 2; Vancouver who is our close-by division leader walked away with 2. In both cases, winning and not giving away points would have made a dramatic difference in the standings.

Although the quote below gives me optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
I think the Oilers are closer than most are giving them credit for. If Lowe can somehow get 2 top-4 guys, lookout.
Agreed. We're seldom blown away these days and we're giving the opposition a much better run for their money. If we can acquire a couple top 2-4 guys like last year, it may give us the edge we need to win these games outright.

Old
01-10-2007, 03:43 AM
stangconv

2 guys would be ideal, but just anything at this point would be nice. I think Lowe should be trying to get Brewer at this point, if nothing then at least take some pressure off of Smith. Thats also one less rookie we have to throw in over their heads. Maybe then we can hold our heads above until the deadline where their may be more availible.

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:44 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
But what holes do we create to get 2 top 4 guys? They won't come in without people going out. I really don't think we can do it like last year without losing roster players. Too many teams still in the hunt for a playoff spot.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:56 AM
OilRick

vCash: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

But this is the "Reason to be Optimistic Thread". Not the "We should hang ourselves because our team sucks thread" Yhat one is a few pages back I believe.

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Agent007

Personally i dont feel Edmonton is out of it at all. I honestly do believe that Edmonton has one big streak left in them and things are going to turn around. You've got a huge game vs San Jose tonight and if you win that suddenly you've got something going here with a 3-0-2 record and thats 8 out of 10 points.

You're only one point out of a playoff spot and 5 points out of top spot with a game in hand.

Calgary is really the only team to worry about as far as the division goes and you're only 4 points behind them although they have a game in hand but they also are missing their best offensive player in Iggy and for how long can they keep on winning??

As bad as things might have been over the past few weeks you're still very much in it.

I got a feeling Edmonton wont be going anywhere until the end of the season and it's going to be an interesting race all the way to the end.

Just my opinon

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote