HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Egg!

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Another Egg!

MacT had another stinker didn't he. I mean he didn't score, no assists, and no checks thrown. Man he is brutal. Simpson - even worse, I didn't even see him on the bench let alone the ice. Didn't those coaches play $&^#%@@( brutal tonight!!

The rest of the team - well what can we say. Conklin once again stood on his head after watching Cross, Semenov, Staios, and Smith hand deliver turnover after turnover in the limited time the puck was in their own end.

Ryan Smyth - once again no points and although he was chosen 3rd star he made countless stupid plays in the offensive zone off of good cycles. Stupid blindly thrown passes into the slot most of which were waist high. Have to give him credit he was working hard tonight and although many of his plays ended in frustrating results, at least their was an effort.

Another PP goal against. Well those damn coaches again. The penalty came off an easy defensive zone clearing play gone miserably sour by Semenov. Rather than making that simple play, he chose to skate right into the forecheckers who were pinned to the boards by the others Oilers blueliner. On the goal - Dvorak overpersued down low to the forward on the half boards leaving the defensmen wide open for the point shot which got deflected. Man I tell you that system sucks!! Or maybe it is the braindead plays by the players on the ice? That seems more realistic.

Anyways, heres to 3 more days of "we really outplayed them tonight" and "the bounces just aren't going our way right now" before another "easy" win on Saturday. The problem is that another "L" for a team that looks about as confident me over a three foot putt. But I guess they all tried really hard right? I guess that was worth paying to watch. We'll gettem next time. What a joke. If Kruezer is reading this - Congratulations, you were right the Flames will finish ahead of the Oilers. I have almost lost all hope. Talk about a rollercoaster ride.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:40 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Unnecessary thread that could have been posted in the Game Day thread.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Unnecessary thread that could have been posted in the Game Day thread.
Unnecessary reply and frankly I don't care.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:52 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
That was an unnecessary reply to my necessary reply.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Well the thread is kind of pointless - and you can't tell me that you didn't think the Oilers out played them. They aren't doing small things like going to the net hard to get that ugly goal IMO except for in small spurts.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:55 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

now that was funny lol. thanks guys needed that after another LOSS by the spoilers.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:58 PM
T-Rexall

A game like that makes all of us grouchy - but this is probably another unnessary reply...

Old
12-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well the thread is kind of pointless - and you can't tell me that you didn't think the Oilers out played them. They aren't doing small things like going to the net hard to get that ugly goal IMO except for in small spurts.
They were all over them and yet they couldn't do anything. 34 shots and not a one real glorious offensive chance. Everything kept to the outside then a weak shot on net to kill momentum and allow Minnesota to change and have a whistle. The small things are what is important. Not turning the puck over at their own blueline, not taking penalties, burryiong chances.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:00 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Hey guys, that's Minnesotas game plan. They play the identical smothering game against Colorado, Detroit, Vancouver. They will stiffle any offensive team and use their version of the stinkin' trap or whatever they call it to shut down the opposition. Lemaire prides in playing UglyHockey 101, but it works for them. It frustrates the crap out of the other teams and Minny always manages to squeak out a win in the end. They beat alot of teams that way.
That is what exactly what happened to Colorado and Vancouver last year in the playoffs. Your're sitting there watching the game, maybe nod off a bit, get's boring as hell, begin to wonder what the hell is going on? then they skate away with a win....

Old
12-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Hey guys, that's Minnesotas game plan. They play the identical smothering game against Colorado, Detroit, Vancouver. They will stiffle any offensive team and use their version of the stinkin' trap or whatever they call it to shut down the opposition. Lemaire prides in playing UglyHockey 101, but it works for them. It frustrates the crap out of the other teams and Minny always manages to squeak out a win in the end. They beat alot of teams that way.
That is what exactly what happened to Colorado and Vancouver last year in the playoffs. Your're sitting there watching the game, maybe nod off a bit, get's boring as hell, begin to wonder what the hell is going on? then they skate away with a win....
Exactly! The Wild's trappy system makes the best teams look crappy, that's why I can't stand watching them. Give me a Columbus game anyday.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:24 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
MacT had another stinker didn't he. I mean he didn't score, no assists, and no checks thrown. Man he is brutal. Simpson - even worse, I didn't even see him on the bench let alone the ice. Didn't those coaches play $&^#%@@( brutal tonight!!
You silly silly boy.

Looks like Daryl Sutter is starting to score though eh?

Oh yeah, Lemaire played a solid game tonight too. He looked good out there. He even got the game winner on a beautiful deflection by playing in front of the net. Not many dumb passes..........he knows...

Old
12-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Exactly! The Wild's trappy system makes the best teams look crappy, that's why I can't stand watching them. Give me a Columbus game anyday.
I would have to say that 34 shot shots is hardly a result of the trap. Minny did nothing to stop Edmonton's speed through the neutral zone thus the trap was non existent. The Oilers have about the worst scoring touch right now and that has cost them back to back games.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:51 PM
kruezer

Quote:

The rest of the team - well what can we say. Conklin once again stood on his head after watching Cross, Semenov, Staios, and Smith hand deliver turnover after turnover in the limited time the puck was in their own end.

Ryan Smyth - once again no points and although he was chosen 3rd star he made countless stupid plays in the offensive zone off of good cycles. Stupid blindly thrown passes into the slot most of which were waist high. Have to give him credit he was working hard tonight and although many of his plays ended in frustrating results, at least their was an effort.

Another PP goal against. Well those damn coaches again. The penalty came off an easy defensive zone clearing play gone miserably sour by Semenov. Rather than making that simple play, he chose to skate right into the forecheckers who were pinned to the boards by the others Oilers blueliner. On the goal - Dvorak overpersued down low to the forward on the half boards leaving the defensmen wide open for the point shot which got deflected. Man I tell you that system sucks!! Or maybe it is the braindead plays by the players on the ice? That seems more realistic.

Anyways, heres to 3 more days of "we really outplayed them tonight" and "the bounces just aren't going our way right now" before another "easy" win on Saturday. The problem is that another "L" for a team that looks about as confident me over a three foot putt. But I guess they all tried really hard right? I guess that was worth paying to watch. We'll gettem next time. What a joke. If Kruezer is reading this - Congratulations, you were right the Flames will finish ahead of the Oilers. I have almost lost all hope. Talk about a rollercoaster ride.

I wouldn't lose all hope yet though, the Oilers are still just a couple of points out, despite a big losing streak, its really just a testament to how well they played before. With such a young team the highs are higher and lows are lowers. I expect them to still be hanging around 8th spot by the end of the year. I'd love to see this province if both teams were in the PO. It would be great (especially if we could beat up some American teams).

Old
12-04-2003, 06:06 AM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer

I wouldn't lose all hope yet though, the Oilers are still just a couple of points out, despite a big losing streak, its really just a testament to how well they played before. With such a young team the highs are higher and lows are lowers. I expect them to still be hanging around 8th spot by the end of the year. I'd love to see this province if both teams were in the PO. It would be great (especially if we could beat up some American teams).
I would rather this team go through their annual 6-10 game "Slump" now rather then in February like they are accustomed to..I think last year they avoided it right? Anyhow, my two cents, I am done being pissed pff, for all their hard work and amount of shots, the Oilers seem to be playing with a stick up their arse...

Old
12-04-2003, 06:14 AM
xauxi

I have a question: Is there any coincidence that all the teams do well over the Oilers? They seem to know how to control the Oilers' "basic attacks" (according to Craig Simson from 630 CHED). Simson admited that the only attack strategy is to come down to wings and pass to the centre, and the Oilers forwards should be there for chipping in. Can the Oilers coaches invent something else that work better? May be in the future. Right now, although the have 100 shots on goal with that strategy, not difficult to neutralize those attacks, I think.
The system again. Who are responsible for the system? The coaches. NOT PLAYERS.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:23 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
I have a question: Is there any coincidence that all the teams do well over the Oilers? They seem to know how to control the Oilers' "basic attacks" (according to Craig Simson from 630 CHED). Simson admited that the only attack strategy is to come down to wings and pass to the centre, and the Oilers forwards should be there for chipping in. Can the Oilers coaches invent something else that work better? May be in the future. Right now, although the have 100 shots on goal with that strategy, not difficult to neutralize those attacks, I think.
The system again. Who are responsible for the system? The coaches. NOT PLAYERS.
How do you think the puck was going in for them all this time so far this year? And now when it doesn't work for 4 games it is all the system?

Come on man... get real. The Oilers, over the past decade have stretches where they have to wear out the puck to get it into the net, this is one of those times.

There were about 6 shots that got deflected to within about 4 or 5 inches of an empty net...

As for all teams doing well against the Oilers... how in the hell do you explain multi 90+ point seasons the past few years?

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to let silly things like facts waterdown your argument.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:30 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yes, people are definately over-reacting, as this is an annual thing and should be expected. Nothing has changed to make a person think they wouldn't go through their annual slump. All we can hope for is that it is shorter then usual.

Closed Thread