Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

So Am I The Only One....

Old
01-07-2007, 07:00 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
So Am I The Only One....

Who thinks that the refs are blowing the whistles farrr too early when ATL is the Away team? For the 2nd straight game thats been televised I've watched Hossa put the puck on net and hear the whistle blow to call it dead and then see the puck trickle in before the whistle is even done blowing...seriously they are getting screwed just as much as the Wild do

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Foy

vCash: 500
According to the HDnet feed of the game, the official said it would have been disallowed anyways because Hossa was playing with a broken stick at the time. If you watch the play afterwards, Hossa immediately races to the locker room. But Kolzig definitely had the puck under his glove, and the puck was definitely knocked loose from under that.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:12 AM
txpd

The referees have a standing rule to blow the play dead when they lose sight of the puck in the crease like that. They choose rightly to err on the side of whistle too fast than too slow. Too slow allows for sticks wacking goalies with the puck covered which then leads to uglyness of all kinds.

It happens to every one too. The Caps lost in Montreal recently when the tying goal was blown dead on a quick whistle in the crease. Huet had made a routine save and the puck had bounced a foot or so in front of him. In the butterfly he routinely reached out with his stick and pulled the loose puck back to his pads to kill the play.......only his pads where not closed and he passed the puck directly between his pads, thru all of the blue paint and into the net.

The referee standing behind the net blew the whistle with the puck in the blue paint, in clear view, halfway between the goalie and the goal line. You would have had a fit.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Magnus Fulgur

I'm finding that the refs blow the whistle too early for home teams and they let visiting goalies get hacked at a few times before they raise the whistle to their lips no matter who is playing. It's shameful, and I don't see this in the many AHL games I've been to.

I think it's absurd that they blow the whistle the instant they lose sight of the puck. They don't call a penalty for hooking or high sticking the second they can't see a player's stick behind someone else! They should whistle plays dead quickly, but wait a beat.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:20 AM
BigT2002

Thanks Foy for the headup on the broken stick I didn't know that

What about Buffalo though. Yea they probably would of still lost the game, but that puck beat Miller without a single wack at him.

In the aspect of the Caps game...I think they did it to give 'Zilla a break after he took a skate to the back of the head and they couldn't do anything about it.

Not a ref rant because they made the right call...but if they wouldn't of called the roughing penalty at the beginning of the game when they got Hossa for Slashing...I would of went apesh*t

Old
01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
Thanks Foy for the headup on the broken stick I didn't know that

What about Buffalo though. Yea they probably would of still lost the game, but that puck beat Miller without a single wack at him.

In the aspect of the Caps game...I think they did it to give 'Zilla a break after he took a skate to the back of the head and they couldn't do anything about it.

Not a ref rant because they made the right call...but if they wouldn't of called the roughing penalty at the beginning of the game when they got Hossa for Slashing...I would of went apesh*t
Well, that whole thing started because they didn't call the initial penalty on Hossa for knocking the stick out of Semin's hands. Semin tried to skate away twice, and Hossa cheap shotted him. It was really frustrating for caps fans after the very light call on Zubrus for holding the stick, and Zubrus' phantom trip call. But on the whole, I don't think the refs stunk too badly last night.

Old
01-07-2007, 12:57 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Well, that whole thing started because they didn't call the initial penalty on Hossa for knocking the stick out of Semin's hands. Semin tried to skate away twice, and Hossa cheap shotted him. It was really frustrating for caps fans after the very light call on Zubrus for holding the stick, and Zubrus' phantom trip call. But on the whole, I don't think the refs stunk too badly last night.
I think so too, the fact is we DID (it wasn't the refs) take too many
stupid penalties...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I think so too, the fact is we DID (it wasn't the refs) take too many
stupid penalties...
Agreed, for the most part all of the penalty calls, while possibly a little on the light side, were all penalties. I thought the Penalty Shot call was dead on, about as obvious a case of a penalty shot as I've seen. I appreciated the way Vijay immediately checked on Kolzig after he was taken down, showed real class, especially among teams that hate each other as much as these two seem to.

Old
01-07-2007, 01:05 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Agreed, for the most part all of the penalty calls, while possibly a little on the light side, were all penalties. I thought the Penalty Shot call was dead on, about as obvious a case of a penalty shot as I've seen. I appreciated the way Vijay immediately checked on Kolzig after he was taken down, showed real class, especially among teams that hate each other as much as these two seem to.
Agreed with Vijay, class act on his part and makes me proud to watch Thrasher hockey not like a few other teams that would of skated away.

Old
01-07-2007, 10:20 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
the teams do hate each other as "teams" but as people? I doubt it. Fighting is part of the game and they're just doing their jobs.

I've been frustrated with the early whistles as well, but I think it all tends to come out in the wash, as they say. You get some bad calls, and you get away with some stuff too.

JPVJ definitely showed some class with his checking on Olie. I was there and was afraid to say "come on, get up Olie" because I thought the caps fans might've taken it the wrong way (like I thought he was faking it or something, instead of really wanting him to get up uninjured).

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote