Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Does Lehtonen need anger management?

Old
01-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Hav-a-lot*

vCash: 500
Does Lehtonen need anger management?

I've seen two ATL games (MIN, WAS) in the past week or so and your goalie seems to hate life (breaking his stick over the net on particular goals, screaming at your players, storming off the ice after an OT loss). Am I on the right page here? You fans should get him into therapy, it'll help his game.

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:16 AM
PuckheadMcGillycuddy

I prefer emotional Kari to doesn't give a crap Kari of the past. I'd much rather see him be pissed and expect perfection and explode when he loses as opposed to just shrugging his shoulders and saying "We'll get 'em next time" like he used to.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Magnus Fulgur

No way. Havelid needs to stop playing like a sissy like he did on the final play letting the Cap skate into the zone untouched with time to allow TWO trailers to enter. What Havelid did was SOOOO bad that he's lucky Kari didn't wrap his stick around Havelid's neck instead.
The Thrashers are playing poorly with little sense of urgency (except for a handful of guys) and Kari shouldn't have to put up with this.

When Kari gets angry he is usually correct. Managing anger involves releasing it when it is proper to do so. He was 100% correct in flipping out last night. He plays his guts out and Havelid stands around like a nancyboy all night. I'm all for moving Havelid since he's got a good contract and he's not a #1 defenceman, and he's horrible on the PP. We could get someone that could make a difference for us. Havelid hasn't made a difference for us this season, and I know much of that has to do with his mother's passing.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Emotion is what makes a good goaltender.

Thats all I have to say.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post

Thats all I have to say.

+1 on that

I've been watching this team for the most part just this year b/c I got stationed down here and honestly I was VERY surprised at how well they were playing at the regular season. But they remind me of my team (Wild) at the beginning. Absolute powerhouse and now slowly fading back b/c they can't win clutch games. This was the 2nd straight game that they blew a lead in the 3rd period and allowed the opposing team to tie. I won't take ANYTHING anyway from Caps or Yote's but this team has a lot of talen on it as far as fowards and even d-men go. Not sure if its planning on their coaches ends by telling them to put on high pressure or what, but there were def. some stupid plays happening at the end of the games. I can understand Kari getting upset when you are watching them be passionate on the offensive end and then when it comes down to his side, he basically has ppl with dead lice falling off their heads.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:

Thats all I have to say.
Or you can be cool as a cucumber like Kipper (Possibly baked?). Either way, it helps to be a bit crazy.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Holly Gunning

Nurminen used to slam sticks all the time too.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
WolfKeeper

Passion. Emotion. A few could learn from Lehtonen...

WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Havelid is a sissy??? Then that must mean the monster Sutton is the original Tinkerbell because all he does is back up into Kari's crotch any time a puck carrier comes into the zone.

Of course, part of it is that you can pressure on the blue line if you have support from the forwards coming back. Holik was in great position in the middle, but Kovalchuk was coasting at center ice thinking about his shoot-out plans while his man took a great pass and scored the OT winner.

Havelid did his part. Holik did his part. Hnidy was the man that had forced the play low in the Wash. end and was out of the play with the 4th Capital skater. The fault is Kovalchuck's for not coming back. He can outskate anyone if he has a break, but he rarely hustles back to his end.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Hav-a-lot*

There's an immense difference between emotion and hitting the ceiling. Besides, it's been empirically proven that frustration impairs performance -- enough of this crap that it makes a good goaltender.

Hav-a-lot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
I agree w/ T. rufum on this one entirely....it's hard to watch your d just do nothing to help you out....i'm sure it upsets him. let him take it out on his stick, goal, water bottle whatever...that, i believe, is the appropriate place for it.

emotional, passionate kari = awesome kari

and someone tell me why NO writeups I saw mentioned the freakin 34 saves last night the guy had...including an awesome one on an ovechkin pp slapper late in the game....good god, man, kari deserved a star, i thought

hyvaa karppa!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:54 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

No, our players need a chrash course in routine game finishing when you have the lead in the middle of the 3. period...

I can understand the guy, he just wants to win and when you constantly play your top game and the team doesn't follow (with the exception of yesterday) you get frustrated... He did all he could...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:00 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Personally, I hope Kari did some damage to the locker room trash cans if not the walls.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Blue32

I'm all for Kari banging his stick or screaming in frustration. Better than him banging his fist into the locker room wall and breaking something.

That kid plays with passion. Mina rakastan Sinua, Kari.

Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav-a-lot View Post
I've seen two ATL games (MIN, WAS) in the past week or so and your goalie seems to hate life (breaking his stick over the net on particular goals, screaming at your players, storming off the ice after an OT loss). Am I on the right page here? You fans should get him into therapy, it'll help his game.
See Patrick Roy

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Nurminen used to slam sticks all the time too.
Nurminen is fun because he use to allow the first shot goal and then he is in his bubble and play like an all star goalie for the rest of the game

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 03:03 PM

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav-a-lot View Post
He is just fine, thanks for stopping by.

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristelune View Post
Nurminen is fun because he use to allow the first shot goal and then he is in his bubble and play like an all star goalie for the rest of the game
It was like having 2 different teams too. The crappy one that played in front of Hnilichka and Defoe and the scrappy underdogs that played in front of Pasi. This team needs quality leadership, I don't have a problem with it radiating from the goal outward.

Old
01-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:

Thats all I have to say.
Agreed. Emotion makes a good player/goalie.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 05:20 PM
trueblueinboston

Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87. View Post
Agreed. Emotion makes a good player/goalie.
What goalie DOESNT need anger management? From the beer leagues on up through stanley cup champs...

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Kovalchuk didn't play D, Semin was allowed in without resistance against Kari, Thrashers lost with less than a minute left in OT because the defense was incompetent / terrible all night (even though Kari was godly). He shouldn't have to get pissed off, but I'm sure every one of you knows how frustrating it is to try your hardest and be the best at something and have to put up with lazy mediocrity from your team making you look bad.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Kovalchuk didn't play D, Semin was allowed in without resistance against Kari, Thrashers lost with less than a minute left in OT because the defense was incompetent / terrible all night (even though Kari was godly). He shouldn't have to get pissed off, but I'm sure every one of you knows how frustrating it is to try your hardest and be the best at something and have to put up with lazy mediocrity from your team making you look bad.
I agree

Someone besides Holik needs to be ripping people new ones. With Mellanby out, this falls squarely on Holik's shoulders. Havelid, Hossa, and Kozlov are more of the lead by example types, not the step up to someone and let them know their not carrying their weight types. I am a goalie myself, and nothing pisses me off more than my defense making mental mistakes or putting no effort forth when it comes to stopping opposing forwards. I would be more concerned if he wasn't getting pissed off about it.

It doesn't help when our number "#1 defenseman" (Havelid) and "#1 pairing" (Havelid/Hnidy) have been on the ice for 5 out of the 8 goals in the last 2 games. And that your "#2 pairing" (deVries/Vish) *before XLB was paired with deVries* is on the ice for 4 out of 5 against the Wild. Havelid has been no where near the player he was last year lately. I think it is a combo of 3 things: 1) He had to change sides when paired with Hnidy 2) He misses playing next to Sutton 3) His mother's death. When Sutton returns in the next month or 2 the first 2 can be fixed. I also could see a shakeup coming in the d as soon as Sutton returns. The only ones I think are safe are XLB, Havelid, and Coburn. I think that deVries, Vish, and Hnidy could be moved before the deadline; although not all 3.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
GetPucksDeep

I believe one of Kari's nicknames (maybe from his Finland days) is "The Big Calm."

If he breaks a stick after the game is over, so what. The kid is single-handedly earning this team points night in/night out.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Many here (and elsewhere) have mentioned how Havelid has suffered from not playing on his customary side. Many have also noticed how Hnidy is playing frankly as well as Havelid and better than Sutton did.

Is it such an awful stretch of the imagination for Hartley to run at least a practice with Hnidy and Havelid switching sides? Something has to be done to light a fire under Havelid.

Gee, I know...let's play a guy who just lost his mom WAY too many minutes AND on the WRONG SIDE!!! Let's get this same guy to play on the PP too, even though Coburn, Hnidy, or even deVries could do a better job.

I've just about had it with Hartley.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Many here (and elsewhere) have mentioned how Havelid has suffered from not playing on his customary side. Many have also noticed how Hnidy is playing frankly as well as Havelid and better than Sutton did.

Is it such an awful stretch of the imagination for Hartley to run at least a practice with Hnidy and Havelid switching sides? Something has to be done to light a fire under Havelid.

Gee, I know...let's play a guy who just lost his mom WAY too many minutes AND on the WRONG SIDE!!! Let's get this same guy to play on the PP too, even though Coburn, Hnidy, or even deVries could do a better job.

I've just about had it with Hartley.

I'll take Havelid playing his "wrong" side over Hnidy playing his "wrong" side. When Sutton comes back, this problem will be solved. Hnidy will move down to the second pairing and fix the problem there. Then I would put Exelby with Coburn, and scratch Vishnevsky and send McCarthy through to the AHL for a "rehab" stint. Lastly, I would role all 3 d-pairings to where the difference in TOI between #1 d-man and #6 is only about 4 minutes a night (think Buffalo)... dependant on opponent and match-ups. Everyone gets to play good minutes and build confidence, and no one is rode hard and put away wet every night down the stretch. Of course, Hartley will play it safe the rest of the season as long as he can hold onto a playoff berth... so I expect he won't do anything that I suggested.

I am not a big fan of Hartley's, but if we make the playoffs his contract will be extended. It looks like we are stuck with him for as long as we are going to be stuck with DW.