Mike Mottau?

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 03:34 AM
misterjaggers
Puma

vCash: 500
Mike Mottau?

I wonder if this ex-BC defenseman would help fill the Bruins' need for an additional offensive defenseman? He's playing for Anaheim's AHL team.
http://www.cincinnatimightyducks.com...4/09-24-03.htm
http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0304/cincinnati.html
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl_network/teams/...94&hubName=ANA

Last edited by misterjaggers: 12-03-2003 at 04:02 AM.
Old
12-03-2003, 04:27 AM
Bruwinz37

MJ, he was a guy I wanted sign strictly for depth in Providence, but I cant see how a career minor leaguer would help this team. If we are going to do that we might as well call up Rich Brennan (who played great for us last year). Mottau is just to small to be a defenseman at the NHL level.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:38 AM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
MJ, he was a guy I wanted sign strictly for depth in Providence, but I cant see how a career minor leaguer would help this team. If we are going to do that we might as well call up Rich Brennan (who played great for us last year). Mottau is just to small to be a defenseman at the NHL level.
Gee, he's only 25 and he's at least as big as Girard...

Old
12-03-2003, 04:46 AM
Bruwinz37

He is actually bigger than I thought he was, but he plays smaller than that. He will be 26 in March, hasnt played much in the NHL at all, I just doubt he could ever make a positive impact on the team. Girard is 23 and has played over 100 NHL games and IMO is more talented than Mottau is.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:56 AM
doc5hole

Mottau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
A few years ago, the prospects of Mottau coming aboard the Gravy Train were attractive, but now I'd rather look at an NHL-experienced player like Pothier, who's logging lots of minutes and is better plus-minus than most Sens.
Just like two seasons ago, the Bruins need to address the need for an offensive defenseman, but even a high-end O-ffenseman won't solve their 5-on-5 problems. Every pairing has a slow-footed D-man, be it Gill, McGillis or O'Donnell.
More important than that one guy, the entire culture back there needs to change, and if the Bruins are going to make a run at the Cup in the near future, then they cannot wait on the development of their highly-touted prospects. Especially at this position, where maturity and NHL experience make the difference between flashes of brilliance while costing your team and being a strong, three-zone player that can win in the playoffs.
Slow feet is also contributing to the B's late-game collapse syndrome, as less confident skaters are backing off the five-man forecheck and puck pressure, giving the opponent a gap.
The Bruins would have the perfect team is tag-up was put back into the NHL, but it's out to stay and it was Harry Sinden's idea to change it back, acc. to Brian Burke. Ironically, the Bruins are the team most disabled by the current rule.
Watching Dallas get Klemm for a 2nd rounder and Robidas makes me sick. The Bruins could've beaten the offer and begun substantial improvement.
-MC

Closed Thread