HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wanted: Defenceman

Old
01-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I know the Habs have been enamoured of having the "shutdown" pairing of Markov and Komisarek together, and while I normally don't propose a lot of changes, I still think maybe we could benefit more from spreading those two out and hoping that we end up with two pairings playing well, instead of just one and a certain amount of chaos. Markov and Rivet were superb together last year. Komisarek can probably cover for Souray better than any of our other candidates. Then you can go back to loading up the top-4 with over 20 minutes a game, and you can try to slip in a weaker 3rd pairing when the opponents have their 3rd or 4th lines on the ice. The good news is we have lots of combinations to choose from, anyway!

I agree 100%.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:47 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Trading 1st Rounders in a salary cap era is playing with fire and short sighted. Low salaried young competent players enable teams greater flexibility under a cap system.
And how many Sydney Crosbys, who can have on their first year the kind of impact were looking for, will the Montreal Canadiens fetch with their 100 next first choices?

Hint: look at the 100 previous 1rst choices.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimy1221 View Post
look at how many shots we face !!!!!!!
30+ every game=bad defence...it's that simple
BOUILLON= -5
NIINIMAA= -5
SOURAY= -1
RIVET= -6
DANDENAULT= +1
MARKOV= +4
KOMISAREK= +4
TOTAL= -8....NOT TOO GOOD FOR DEFENCE IMO
That essentially means the team is a -8, which means we aren't scoring enough even strength goals. If you looked at our even strength goals for, I'm sure it would be considerably below the league average. We aren't giving up a lot of even strength goals, we just aren't scoring any.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:23 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
Here we come...

First time the habs lost 3 games in a row this season, apocalypst on the board.

"slump" thats it.
i don't think that stating an obvious weakness is or should be considered taboo . outside of markov , who on our defence has the ability to make good outlet passes while under pressure on a consistent basis ? if this team is going to be built on speed then it must be generated from the back-end . how can we expect our forwards to keep their feet moving in transistion when they aren't even sure if the defenceman will be able to clear the zone let alone hit them with an outlet pass ? i just think that another quality defenceman on the second pairing would go a long way toward alleviating the amount of time we spend in our own zone while also hopefully , generating some badly needed offence .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Sure, let's get a d-man, any d-men, Gainey is a fool for not trading for Seidenberg....

I also remembered we wanted a UFA, any UFA.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimy1221 View Post
i was just reading an article of the recap of today's MTL-NJD game, and one line said:
"Devils defenseman Paul Martin made a mockery of Montreal's defense to set up Rupp's opening goal. Martin broke down the right side and cut in front of Canadiens defenseman Janne Niinimaa, drawing another Montreal defender, Sheldon Souray, to him in the process"

I"m sick of hearing that our defence is not doing good, and i'm sick that huet has to always keep us in the game.. we c an't win the cup like this..
maybe carbo is reading this...if you are, TRADE FOR A GOOD D....
People like you fired employees when they have a cold, without thinking it through.

Come on, Souray is sick, so any comment made while he is (God I saw a picture of him and he looked like a white sheet coming right off the dryer) so, is unfair. As for Niinimaa, Gainey wasn't looking for a top notch defenseman but a spare plug for when we had too many defensemen in the injury room. I hope you didn't expect a top notch defenseman for Ribeiro anyway.

We are third (with only 118 goals against) in our conference, so this isn't definitively the area we have to improve the most, and if you say that Huet drives a great deal of that defensive performance, so be it ! He is part of the equation.

And yes, we can win a Stanley cup with a defensive like that. We did with a similar defensive in 85 and 92. I just checked both years, and our defensive in comparison to the other teams was relatively similar. And obviously in both years, we also had a dominant goaltender (Roy) helping us out ranking good numbers. Also I am sure you can find other teams that recently won the Stanley cup with less stellar defensive (for instance Tamba Bay didn't have the best of the best defensive)

Our efforts should focus more on a second line center than anything else. Something else than a Ribeiro who has shown to do nothing comes playoff time.

In 85, as centermen, we had Smith, Carbonneau, Walter, Skrudland.
In 92, we had, Damphousse, Muller, Lebeau, Savard, Carbonneau.

I may be off on one of those centerman, anyone let me know if so.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote