HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens deal Straka

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 05:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Pens deal Straka

To the LA Kings for Martin Strbak and another player. forgot thename
no link yet, just saw it on the ticker during the Avs/Devils game

Old
11-30-2003, 05:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

To the LA Kings for Martin Strbak and Anshakov. no official link on the net yet but i saw it on the ticker during the Avs/Debbies game

Old
11-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Winston Wolf

Pens get boned big time in this deal. The other player is Sergei Anshakov, who only has an OK chance of even making it to the NHL, while Strbak is a career AHLer, IMO. Pens should have least gotten one of: Aulin, Camalleri, Pushkarov, Kanko, or one of their better prospects. At least in their other salary dumps they got some good prospects, but this return is complete crap.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Pens get boned big time in this deal. The other player is Sergei Anshakov, who only has an OK chance of even making it to the NHL, while Strbak is a career AHLer, IMO. Pens should have least gotten one of: Aulin, Camalleri, Pushkarov, Kanko, or one of their better prospects. At least in their other salary dumps they got some good prospects, but this return is complete crap.
Im not gonna complain, i go to allot of the Monarchs games. Strbak spent some time in the ECHL this season as well, so yeah the Pens pretty much got reamed on this one.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:45 AM
panayiotis

revoke franchise

Mario is paying himself 10 mill to sit out. What a guy! The pens dont have 1 nhl caliber fw. What a garage league!

Old
12-01-2003, 02:54 AM
Flyers26

[QUOTE=panayiotis]Mario is paying himself 10 mill to sit out. What a guy! The pens dont have 1 nhl caliber fw. QUOTE]
One word.... CONTRACTION! They don't deserve to have an NHL Club!

Old
12-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Cuiff

[QUOTE=Flyers26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Mario is paying himself 10 mill to sit out. What a guy! The pens dont have 1 nhl caliber fw. QUOTE]
I just keep saying it.......The Portland Pens. Sounds nice doesn't it?

That franchise is a joke!

Old
12-01-2003, 04:36 AM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Move the Pens to Canada, bring back Hartford/Winnapeg/Quebec

Old
12-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
The Pens got ripped again...Straka for Anshakov and Strbak, it is a real gift for the Kings.
LA has now a quality LW. he's gonna help a lot! Their injury list is full...
Pittsburgh made another financial cut. The future of the Penguins is really doubtful. Mario out, Straka traded, Kovalev traded last year, ditto for Jagr, Francis, Näslund over the years...Incredible.

Old
12-01-2003, 12:11 PM
MASK

Send a message via AIM to MASK
They are horrible at trading.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTY_PERSON
They are horrible at trading.

Yah, because they had loads of leverage. Do you guys know who that goalie guy named uh... Fleury is? You think he's going to make chump change the next couple years if he stays up? It's a business. You either make due as best you can until the economic situation (CBA, arena) improves, or you die NOW. It's pretty simple really, not that I'd expect a bunch of Cryers fans to understand.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:56 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
there is a few teams this could apply to and the NHL would be a better league because of it.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:10 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
Yah, because they had loads of leverage. Do you guys know who that goalie guy named uh... Fleury is? You think he's going to make chump change the next couple years if he stays up? It's a business. You either make due as best you can until the economic situation (CBA, arena) improves, or you die NOW. It's pretty simple really, not that I'd expect a bunch of Cryers fans to understand.

Leverage has nothing to do with getting a poor return for good players. If I were a Pens fan though I'd much rather see them pay Fluery than Stratka.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Gotta love the maturity level here......

You should check out the Penguins bashing threads over at the gamenight forum....spread the ignorance around.....share your childish, idiotic musings with similar fans who follow other teams....

Last edited by Rowsdower: 12-02-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old
12-03-2003, 09:19 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower 3:16
Gotta love the maturity level here......

You should check out the Penguins bashing threads over at the gamenight forum....spread the ignorance around.....share your childish, idiotic musings with similar fans who follow other teams....
Said the guy with the Stone Cold Steve Austin reference in his name and the MST avatar.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Jacob

Quote:
At least in their other salary dumps they got some good prospects.
Like who?

Quote:
Strbak spent some time in the ECHL this season
False.

Quote:
Mario is paying himself 10 mill to sit out. What a guy
5 million.

Quote:
They don't deserve to have an NHL Club!
Why does Pittsburgh not deserve an NHL club?

Old
12-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Like who?
Kris Beech, Michal Sivek, Ross Lupashuck, and Rico Fata (plus tons of $$$) are all pretty good prospects. While these players may never be great, they certainly are (or will be) cheap, NHL capable players, which cannot be said for Strbak and Anshakov. Strbak, IMO would play for three teams in the NHL on the third pairing, he couldn't even stay in the Kings' lineup when Miller and Norstrom were injured and Modry and Corvo were playing like crap. That says quite a bit, IMO, not to mention the guy's 28 years old. Anshakov is an above average Russian prospect that will probably never even play for the Pens. There aren't too many marginal Russian prospects that even come over to N.A., let alone ever play in the NHL.
Bottom line, the Pens could have waited to the trade deadline when plenty of teams would have wanted a good second- line winger. The Pens could have gotten decent prospects, or could have just gotten a few $ million from the Rags, which would have had more impact than Strbak or Anshakov ever will. :p

Old
12-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Jacob

You can't tell me that you thought Rico Fata was a legitimate NHL prospect at the time of the Kovalev trade.

I completely agree with Strbek, there's no question the guy is a fringe player even with the Penguins, but Anshakov's upside has to be intriguing. Saying Michal Sivek is a good prospect and saying Anshakov "will never play in the NHL" just doesn't make sense. Maybe you'll end up being right about him, but it's far from a done deal, he's shown nothing up until this point to prove you right.

You also have to realize that Straka's value isn't anywhere near what Jagr's or Kovalev's was. At least in my opinion.

Quote:
Bottom line, the Pens could have waited to the trade deadline when plenty of teams would have wanted a good second- line winger. The Pens could have gotten decent prospects, or could have just gotten a few $ million from the Rags, which would have had more impact than Strbak or Anshakov ever will.
That sounds like a good plan in theory, but as much as it pains me to type it, CP is a professional. The last thing I would accuse CP of is pulling the trigger on a move too quickly.. This guy has as much patience as anyone. He felt the deal was right and the time was right, and it's hard to tell what was going on in the background. The bottom line is that he's put a team together that made the playoffs for 11 years, including two cups, and we haven't. I'll trust that he's doing everything in his power to get the best possible return, no matter how bad it looks to us.

Last edited by Jacob: 12-03-2003 at 11:58 PM.
Old
12-04-2003, 05:58 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
The Pens could have gotten decent prospects, or could have just gotten a few $ million from the Rags...
How do you know that?

Perhaps that was true a year and a half ago. But not at the time of the trade. One thing Patrick can be blamed for is holding on too long, until he had to trade his stars. That's why Straka's return was what it was. There were probably no other takers at that point. I don't believe that there was simply a better deal out there that Patrick decided not to persue.

Last edited by tom_servo: 12-04-2003 at 06:03 AM.
Old
12-04-2003, 06:37 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Mario is paying himself 10 mill to sit out. What a guy! The pens dont have 1 nhl caliber fw. What a garage league!
I don't know if I necessarily disagree with the last sentence, but he's recently halved the salary that he's...um...uh...paying himself.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/te...arts/555.0.php

When Bernie Ebbers or Ken Lay give an inkling that they have any moral fiber whatsoever, I will turn the sights on Lemieux. However, it's a rare breed that would put as much into an organization - inside or outside of sports - as does Mario.

I think the Pens would be wise to keep Fleury from playing in 25 games. He is a great young goaltender, with emphasis on the latter adjective. He has plenty of seasons in which to be great, and I think he's too young for the NHL. It's going to be a little confusing to watch him stick around after they could have just about paid Straka with the money they could have given to Fleury. Caron isn't that much of a drop off if at all at this point. Someday, but not yet.

Rowsdower, have you ever seen the "Iowa State University Home Economics" short?

I think the Pens did pretty well in the deal, considering the looming shutdown and uncertainty with the new bargaining agreement. You have to think finances when talking about the Pens, for now.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:52 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
...I'd much rather see them pay Fluery than Stratka.
I disagree wholeheartedly with this thought. At this point in time, Caron isn't much of a drop off at all, and I think he's more NHL-ready. So it's either Straka and Caron or just Fleury. For myself, that's a no-brainer.

They're still paying $2M of Straka's salary next year.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:53 AM
stanley

Wait a minute, I thought I was on the Pens board!

(Seriously)

Closed Thread