HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For next season . . .

Old
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
CapitalPunishment

vCash: 500
For next season . . .

Do you think dropping Zubrus to the 2nd line, and centering Semin would be more suitable for Semin's game? Zubrus works down low a lot better than Beech, and most of the time at even strength that line is useless.

Something along these lines:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-?
Semin-Zubrus-Fehr
Pettinger-Sutherby-Clark
Brashear/Clymer-Gordon-Bradley

I havnt seen much of Backstrom, but do you guys think his style of play is suitable for Ovechkin or more suitable for Semin?

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Tinordi24*

I dont know. It depends on if Fehr makes the team in my book!

If Fehr does then he will have to play with Zubrus so Zuby can bail him out defensively (and we dont put 2 rookies on the same line - Backstrom and Fehr)

If no Fehr then Zubrus should stick with Ovechkin.

If McPhee doesnt sign Zubrus then we will stink. Klepis and Beech have proven they cant cut it yet.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Jasper17

I personally think Backstrom's style will be better with Ovechkin.

The real question is what people think of Zuby. Is this a player who has finally turned the corner into a quality top line forward. Or is this the same average 2nd line player who is putting up good numbers these past couple season's because he is playing with Ovechkin.

If you think he is a player who has turned the corner, than I think he could work very well with Semin because he is a big boy who does work well along the boards.

If you think he is the same old Zuby who is just putting up good numbers thest pasy couple years because he is playing with Ovechkin (like I personally do) than you can't re-sign this guy to a big contract extension and then take him off Ovechkin's line because his numbers are going to drop.

I think Backstrom would be the perfect complimentary player for Ovechkin. But I also think that Zubrus needs Ovechkin. So it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
CapitalPunishment

Exactly. That's why I have Backstrom/Fehr seperated.

Maybe:
Ovechkin-Zubrus-Fehr
Semin-Backstrom-?
Pettinger-Sutherby-Clark

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24 View Post
I dont know. It depends on if Fehr makes the team in my book!

If Fehr does then he will have to play with Zubrus so Zuby can bail him out defensively (and we dont put 2 rookies on the same line - Backstrom and Fehr)

If no Fehr then Zubrus should stick with Ovechkin.

If McPhee doesnt sign Zubrus then we will stink. Klepis and Beech have proven they cant cut it yet.
I don't think Fehr has anything to do with it.

I fully expect him to make the team next season, but he is not going to be a top 6 winger for this team next season.

Many have already talked about how he always needs a full year at a new/higher level to get comfortable and really start to produce. So anyone who expects Fehr to walk into the NHL and instantly find success is kidding themselves.

Fehr will not be expected to be a top 6 player for the Capitals next season. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if he just takes Klepis's spot next year.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Xaroc

I think Fehr needs to at least get a shot on a top two line. Having him play 5 minutes a game on the 4th line isn't going to do anything for his game.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroc View Post
I think Fehr needs to at least get a shot on a top two line. Having him play 5 minutes a game on the 4th line isn't going to do anything for his game.
yes it will, it will help him get used to the speed and strengh at the NHL level.

8-10 min a game is all this kid needs, especially at first (through 20-30 games or so).

But there is no chance you can go into next season expecting Fehr, with his track record of 1st year growing pains, and expect him to be a top 6 winger.

Backstrom to be an instant top 6 forward, yes. Fehr, No.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
I don't think Fehr has anything to do with it.

I fully expect him to make the team next season, but he is not going to be a top 6 winger for this team next season.

Many have already talked about how he always needs a full year at a new/higher level to get comfortable and really start to produce. So anyone who expects Fehr to walk into the NHL and instantly find success is kidding themselves.

Fehr will not be expected to be a top 6 player for the Capitals next season. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if he just takes Klepis's spot next year.
Fehr:

Well I'm not sure that keeping him in Hershey wont be a better idea then. He is certainly the farthest thing from a 4th line player. I'm not sure that he will get anything playing a few minutes a night on an energy line. Probably best to keep him in Hershey until he is ready to take the 2nd line RW position. Butch and Ron Wilson were notorious for doing that. The latest example being Semin who wallowed on the 4th line playing 2 minutes a night until Hanlon took over and the "purge" took place.

I'd rather he get significant ice time in Hershey.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
yes it will, it will help him get used to the speed and strengh at the NHL level.

8-10 min a game is all this kid needs, especially at first (through 20-30 games or so).

But there is no chance you can go into next season expecting Fehr, with his track record of 1st year growing pains, and expect him to be a top 6 winger.

Backstrom to be an instant top 6 forward, yes. Fehr, No.
We're not going to be a cup contender next year anyhow unless we bring in a Pronger or Phaneuf on D. We all know thats not going to happen. So why not let Backstrom and Fehr cut their teeth at this level?

I guess if we were a team like Detroit or Ottawa then Fehr would have to break in the lineup that way you suggest. But we are rebuilding and most likely wont do anything this year or the next ...or even the next after that.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Fehr:

Well I'm not sure that keeping him in Hershey wont be a better idea then. He is certainly the farthest thing from a 4th line player. I'm not sure that he will get anything playing a few minutes a night on an energy line. Probably best to keep him in Hershey until he is ready to take the 2nd line RW position. Butch and Ron Wilson were notorious for doing that. The latest example being Semin who wallowed on the 4th line playing 2 minutes a night until Hanlon took over and the "purge" took place.

I'd rather he get significant ice time in Hershey.
that won't do any good.

Look at the kids track record. he ALWAYS struggles a bit his first season in a new level. He can play in Hershey for the next 3 or 4 season's and he is still going to go through growing pains in his first NHL season.

No matter how many years he spends developing in the minors is going to prepare him to walk into the NHL and instantly be a top 6 winger, its just not going to happen.

I mean what makes you think that a guy who has always taken a year to get used to a new level of hockey, is going to buck that trend and find instant sucess in the highest level of all?

And for your idea that he is far from a 4th line winger. Long term I agree. But short term this is still a rebuilding team and there is no reason Fehr can't play on the 4th line his rookie year until he proves he can handle a bigger role.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
We're not going to be a cup contender next year anyhow unless we bring in a Pronger or Phaneuf on D. We all know thats not going to happen. So why not let Backstrom and Fehr cut their teeth at this level?

I guess if we were a team like Detroit or Ottawa then Fehr would have to break in the lineup that way you suggest. But we are rebuilding and most likely wont do anything this year or the next ...or even the next after that.
because there is a long list of young players rushed into the NHL and/or asked to do to much when they first get their and it hurts or kills their career.

Fehr playing on the 4th line next year is what is best for him, not just the Caps. If he plays well I am sure he will get more time. But you can't expect Fehr to be a top 6 player right away.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
that won't do any good.

Look at the kids track record. he ALWAYS struggles a bit his first season in a new level. He can play in Hershey for the next 3 or 4 season's and he is still going to go through growing pains in his first NHL season.

No matter how many years he spends developing in the minors is going to prepare him to walk into the NHL and instantly be a top 6 winger, its just not going to happen.

I mean what makes you think that a guy who has always taken a year to get used to a new level of hockey, is going to buck that trend and find instant sucess in the highest level of all?

And for your idea that he is far from a 4th line winger. Long term I agree. But short term this is still a rebuilding team and there is no reason Fehr can't play on the 4th line his rookie year until he proves he can handle a bigger role.
From all accounts he had a very successful rookie year in the AHL and has put on considerable weight since.

After we drafted him did he not go on to back to back 50 goal seasons in the WHL?

We cant sit here and EXPECT Backstrom to come in and center the top line with Ovy and yet feel that there is no way Fehr can break in ahead of Clark or Pettinger on RW. Fehr is a couple years older and more filled out too.

If we can expect Backstrom to be a top 6 then we should expect Fehr to as well.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
because there is a long list of young players rushed into the NHL and/or asked to do to much when they first get their and it hurts or kills their career.

Fehr playing on the 4th line next year is what is best for him, not just the Caps. If he plays well I am sure he will get more time. But you can't expect Fehr to be a top 6 player right away.
Then we shouldnt expect that from Backstrom either.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Id go with...

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - Beech/UFA/Trade - Pettinger
Brashear - Sutherby - Fehr
Laich/Clymer - Gordon - Bradley

Let Zubrus walk.

Im sure the Caps won't let him walk...so since he'll be around...

Ovechkin - Zubrus - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Pettinger

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
The Viking Fury

One thing to keep in mind, is that its widely rumoured that the jump from juniors to the AHL is much harder than the jump from teh AHL to the NHL. Start him on the fourth line, but give him mixed time, with energy guys and ovechkin. Lets not forget Laich was his centerin hershey. Brash - Laich - Fehr with ovy or even backstrom double shifting might not be a bad idea.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
From all accounts he had a very successful rookie year in the AHL and has put on considerable weight since.

After we drafted him did he not go on to back to back 50 goal seasons in the WHL?

We cant sit here and EXPECT Backstrom to come in and center the top line with Ovy and yet feel that there is no way Fehr can break in ahead of Clark or Pettinger on RW. Fehr is a couple years older and more filled out too.

If we can expect Backstrom to be a top 6 then we should expect Fehr to as well.
No, you are just wrong here.

Backstrom is 1) a much higher talent than Fehr and 2) has played pro hockey in a much higher league. The SEL is a pretty damn good league, and because of that Backstrom has already had experience playing against older, stronger, faster players than the AHL has to offer.

And as for Fehr, look at his track record. Before his two 50 goal seasons he had a rookie year where he scored 11 and a sophmore year where he scored 26. It took him two full years to get going in the WHL.

And although Fehr did have a very strong rookie year in the AHL. I don't think you will find anyone who knows anything about him that wouldn't say his play this season has been head and shoulders above his level of play last season.

Backstrom is a better player with experience in a better league. Fehr who has always taken a full year to get used to a new level. Different players need different expectations.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:55 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
Exactly. That's why I have Backstrom/Fehr seperated.

Maybe:
Ovechkin-Zubrus-Fehr
Semin-Backstrom-Doan
Pettinger-Sutherby-Clark
Fixed it for you, now each of the top two lines has a "superstar", a veteran, and a rookie.

Ovechkin-Zubrus-Fehr
Semin-Backstrom-Doan
Pettinger-Klepis/Beech-Clark
Brashear-Gordon-Sutherby

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Jasper17

So we should have the same expectations for all young players? that is your theory? Because different players should have different expectations.

Backstrom...

1) a much higher talent than Fehr
2) has played pro hockey in a much higher league.

The SEL is a pretty damn good league, and because of that Backstrom has already had experience playing against older, stronger, faster players than the AHL has to offer.

And as for Fehr, look at his track record. Before his two 50 goal seasons he had a rookie year where he scored 11 and a sophmore year where he scored 26. It took him two full years to get going in the WHL.

And although Fehr did have a very strong rookie year in the AHL. I don't think you will find anyone who knows anything about him that wouldn't say his play this season has been head and shoulders above his level of play last season.

Backstrom is a better player with experience in a better league. Fehr who has always taken a full year to get used to a new level. Different players need different expectations.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Id go with...

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - Beech/UFA/Trade - Pettinger

Let Zubrus walk.

Im sure the Caps won't let him walk...so since he'll be around...

Ovechkin - Zubrus - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Pettinger
Couple of problems here :

There is no way Fehr should be on the 3rd line. I think you probably just meant to make them the 4th line cuz that 3rd line looks far from a shutdown line.

I know that both you and Drake are on the DumpZubrusNow bandwagon but we all know that there is no way we are going to sign or trade for an improvement over him. We'd end up with the Beech/Klepis 2headed monster.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
No, you are just wrong here.

Backstrom is 1) a much higher talent than Fehr and 2) has played pro hockey in a much higher league. The SEL is a pretty damn good league, and because of that Backstrom has already had experience playing against older, stronger, faster players than the AHL has to offer.

http://www.washingtoncaps.com/news/n...?story_id=4475

"Fehr is night and day above last year,” said Bears coach Bruce Boudreau recently. “He is not only getting the ability to get into people’s minds a little bit, but he is also hitting and hurting. He is controlling the puck in the corners, and he is still out there scoring the big goal. I think his improvement is dramatic. People said he had a good year [in 2005-06] with 25 goals as a first-year guy. But I think his overall all-around play is dramatically improved this year, his strength and his willingness to win battles.”

Fehr has added about 25 pounds of muscle since the Caps drafted him. At 6-foot-4 and 212 pounds, he is a handful down low in the offensive zone and he uses his large frame and wingspan well in protecting the puck.

Old
01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Let Zubrus walk.

Although I would not have a checking line of Brash-Sutherby-Fehr.

My bottom two lines next season would be...

Pettinger-Sutherby-Clark
Brashear-Gordon-Fehr

If Fehr earns more time that he will be given it. But I sure as hell am not expecting him to do to much in his first NHL season.

Old
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:

Although I would not have a checking line of Brash-Sutherby-Fehr.

My bottom two lines next season would be...

Pettinger-Sutherby-Clark
Brashear-Gordon-Fehr

If Fehr earns more time that he will be given it. But I sure as hell am not expecting him to do to much in his first NHL season.
So the DumpZubrusNow club has:

Japser
Strungout
Drake

Anyone I am missing?

I would love to know who you guys think is going to replace him? Beech? Klepis? Steckel? Stumpel?

Old
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:

"Fehr is night and day above last year,” said Bears coach Bruce Boudreau recently. “He is not only getting the ability to get into people’s minds a little bit, but he is also hitting and hurting. He is controlling the puck in the corners, and he is still out there scoring the big goal. I think his improvement is dramatic. People said he had a good year [in 2005-06] with 25 goals as a first-year guy. But I think his overall all-around play is dramatically improved this year, his strength and his willingness to win battles.”

Fehr has added about 25 pounds of muscle since the Caps drafted him. At 6-foot-4 and 212 pounds, he is a handful down low in the offensive zone and he uses his large frame and wingspan well in protecting the puck.

Night and day versus head and shoulders...

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Night and day versus head and shoulders...
DAMN! I suck at Syntax!

Old
01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Jasper17

Quote:

umm, doesn't this just prove my point?