HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For next season . . .

Old
01-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Have to say that Ovechkin's going to be campaigning hard for his boy Markov to be here (and not the Crazy one from Detroit).

Frankly, I know there is some admiration there from Ovechkin, but if the guy says he is the toughest defender to play against, I'd want him here.

Seems like he has been decent for the development of the younger defenders as well up there in Montreal. Though, they will probably have to pay top dollar.

If Markov comes here by some freak incident, then we certainly can put some stock into the "Ovechkin" effect.
If Markov comes here I will never say anything negative about the Caps/Ovechkin's ability to attract top NHL talent again (or at least till next summer ).

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
If Markov comes here I will never say anything negative about the Caps/Ovechkin's ability to attract top NHL talent again (or at least till next summer ).

Looks like they'll prob lose Souray with that huge payday comin to him, and if so, they can't possibly let Markov go too...he'll stay put.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Looks like they'll prob lose Souray with that huge payday comin to him, and if so, they can't possibly let Markov go too...he'll stay put.
I don't think anyone expects both those guys to hit the market, but one should unless of course they can dump the Samsonov contract. If they can do that they may be able to get both re-signed.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:48 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Don't forget Green in there somewhere. If Nycholat stays, I trust it's likely as a 7th/8th D.
oops totally forgot green, lol

01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I don't know, Montreal has to consider a few things pretty soon. How much is Huet going to want? How much is Komisarek worth? They still could use some scoring as well...

I don't think they'll let both go, but I could see them get rid of both for a cheaper option.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Montreal will sign Markov, let Souray go. They're not even really trying to deny it. Souray is going to be ridiculously overpaid for a guy as sketchy defensively.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Montreal will sign Markov, let Souray go. They're not even really trying to deny it. Souray is going to be ridiculously overpaid for a guy as sketchy defensively.
yep, he'll get paid because of that shot and what he does in the offensive end.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

No doubt. Someone will give Souray a Gonchar contract.

Really, it needs to be stressed how good a player Markov really is today. This isn't some guy under anyone's radar, whom Ovechkin just happens to like. This is one of the better mobile, defensively solid guys in the league, and a very well regarded player to Montreal management. Ovechkin isn't making some astute observation about one of the better secrets in the NHL. Markov's rep is stellar everywhere. He's an excellent player and everyone agrees.

Furthermore, he has said that he wants to stay there, they have said that they value him and will move to retain him, and he's not going to make it to July 1st unsigned.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
No doubt. Someone will give Souray a Gonchar contract.

Really, it needs to be stressed how good a player Markov really is today. This isn't some guy under anyone's radar, whom Ovechkin just happens to like. This is one of the better mobile, defensively solid guys in the league, and a very well regarded player to Montreal management.

He wants to stay there, they value him, and he's not going to make July 1st.
You think he wants to stay? for some reason i get the impression that he could be a guy interested in testing the market. No real reason for thinking that, I just do.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Markov has said within the last couple of months that he wants to stay in Montreal. They're going to go to the well to give him a good offer, and he could very well get a $25M offer over five years. By every measure, this looks like a deal that gets done early.

Souray's probably indifferent to staying, and he's their #2 priority on defense. He'd very possibly stay if they were to show him a big dollar figure, but they won't have it after inking Markov. He knows that and is fine getting his money from whatever team has room.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I kind of get the idea that Markov would be better served waiting till close to June 1st.

If he doesn't sign, he is the top guy on the market (or at least close to it) and will get paid more than if he signs up w/ the Habs now.

Saying you want to stay, and doing it are two entirely different things.

Old
01-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Markov has said within the last couple of months that he wants to stay in Montreal. They're going to go to the well to give him a good offer, and he could very well get a $25M offer over five years. By every measure, this looks like a deal that gets done early.
Yep. Markov's stated his desire to become a Canadian citizen. He looks comfy in Montreal, from all reports. I think he stays and signs in the next few months.
Quote:
Souray's probably indifferent to staying, and he's their #2 priority on defense. He'd very possibly stay if they were to show him a big dollar figure, but they won't have it after inking Markov. He knows that and is fine getting his money from whatever team has room.
If they're able to pawn Samsonov off, they could fit him in. I don't think they have the desire to make room for him to stay, though. Regardless, he's a big boost to their PP that'll be tough to replace. Wherever he goes he'll get a fat contract. For some reason I see the Flyers signing him and regretting it later on.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

True, they might free up the room, but in his heart of hearts, Gainey knows better than any other GM what his offenseman is worth, and it's not going to be the $5M to, oh, maybe $6.5M/yr that his numbers will net him as a UFA.

Gainey might be able to free up room, but he's still under a capped environment, and my bet is that he passes rather than tie up that sum in anything less than two complete defensemen. Souray doesn't qualify on that front.

Markov is simply happy in Montreal, and knows they are ready to make him their big gun. He could make more as a UFA, but he's by all accounts as happy to get his payday there as he is anywhere else. Few think he's going anywhere.

Old
01-29-2007, 06:34 AM
CapitalPunishment

what about this:

ovechkin - sundin - zubrus
semin - backstrom - fehr
pettinger - sutherby/gordon - clark
brashear - sutherby/gordon - laich

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I doubt they're in the market for Sundin.

I'd also hope the 6.5 or so it will take a year to sign him is earmarked for a Defenseman first.

Offense is something they could use an upgrade for, but defense is the main problem at this point.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I doubt they're in the market for Sundin.

I'd also hope the 6.5 or so it will take a year to sign him is earmarked for a Defenseman first.

Offense is something they could use an upgrade for, but defense is the main problem at this point.
but if you score 6 goals a game, do you need any defense?

Old
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
but if you score 6 goals a game, do you need any defense?
When you give up 5 or 6, i'd say so.

Frankly, offense isn't a given. Can't win that way come playoffs anyhow. Especially if you drop in most of your money on 2-3 forwards like a team like that would be built like in a few years.

Old
02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
Do you think dropping Zubrus to the 2nd line, and centering Semin would be more suitable for Semin's game? Zubrus works down low a lot better than Beech, and most of the time at even strength that line is useless.

Something along these lines:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-?
Semin-Zubrus-Fehr
Pettinger-Sutherby-Clark
Brashear/Clymer-Gordon-Bradley

I havnt seen much of Backstrom, but do you guys think his style of play is suitable for Ovechkin or more suitable for Semin?
Oh how little has changed in this lineup

Other than Zuby possibly being gone...
Maybe Clymer too?