HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Cujo

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Gagnefan12

vCash: 500
Cujo

should we or shouldnt we pick him up? i dont want him but in case of an emergency he would help.

Old
12-03-2003, 11:52 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan12
should we or shouldnt we pick him up? i dont want him but in case of an emergency he would help.
If you pick him up you agree to pay him $14 million for the rest of this season and next. That's what I call an expensive insurance policy.

Old
12-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Brad*

No, the Flyers should not have any interest in CuJo.

First of all the tandem of Robert Esche and Jeff Hackett has been very good thus far, and they’ve both been better than CuJo has.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, the Flyers simply cannot afford to pay him what he would make. They just can’t, hence the reason there is zero chance he’s picked up.

Old
12-03-2003, 12:47 PM
SaveByHexy

If we were mired in some long losing streak, or if we were playing inconsistently, I would say go for it, as long as Joseph would be willing to restructure his contract (Which I think he'll have to do wherever he ends up anyway). I'm sure we could get rid of some salary to make room for him if we really wanted the guy. But we are playing too well to even think of tinkering with the team. It finally looks as if we are starting to develop some of the "chemistry" that the flyers have sorely lacked the past few years (according to fans). Why would we get rid of guys who are playing well, and a goalie who is supposedly well-liked in the locker room and putting up some great numbers, at this point? Besides, if goaltending does become a problem over time, who knows who will be available in some of the firesales at the deadline?

That being said, I love Joseph...he is one of my favorite goalies and I always have wanted to see him in the orange and black...But right now I just want to see him go ANYWHERE. I feel bad for the guy. He wasn't completely to blame for Detroit's first round exit, and he got the shaft when everyone in Detroit got caught up in Hasek-mania this summer. I hope someone picks him up soon..

Old
12-04-2003, 03:19 AM
Flyers26

We don't need a "never was" broken down 1mil goalie!

Old
12-04-2003, 06:26 AM
stanley

Quote:
Unless that emergency is seven broken seals and four flying horsemen, I can't see CuJo helping on or off the ice. I'd rather take my chances with Neil Little than take on the albatross that is Joseph. I write that without sarcasm.

The Red Wings really have themselves a situation there. It's kind of like the Lindros situation without the daily verbal insults.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Steve L*

If they got Cujo at the deadline, there would be about $2m left on this years salary.

The odds are that there will be a stoppage for next year, his full salary will not have to be paid. Detroit will also pay (some say up to half) his salary.

I believe they could have had him cheaper than Hackett but Clarke screwed that idea up in the Summer. Seeing as Hackett has a NTC, the odds of Cujo ending here are zero unless Hackett gets a major injury.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:29 AM
stanley

Steve,
Just so it's out there, Detroit didn't offer to pay a portion of his salary in training camp. That's a recently rumored proposal based on the fact that they can't find any takers. Cujo was never available for $2M for this year. It's not as if Clarke had the option of (Door #1) Hackett or (Door #2) Cujo at $2M. That's a best-case evaluation without consideration for how bad he's been on the ice.

The worst-case scenario is that there is hockey next year and they actually have to pay him! It would make Clarke dream of a shutdown. If a $40-odd million salary cap is put in place, does anybody want a guy with a questionable head (hasn't this franchise had enough of those?) making a fifth of the team's allotment for salary? Eek. With consideration for finances - not exactly an unreal consideration - there's no way since he signed his new contract that I would have wanted his salary. I would have preferred they go with just Esche and not sign Hackett than sign Joseph. I really don't have a personal distain for the guy (I don't even know him), but his on-ice ineffectiveness and large salary make him utterly unattractive to me as a make-believe general manager.

All things being equal, I don't think he's an upgrade over Hackett or to the club in general. If he was that much of an impact player, why are the Wings trying to send him to the minors? It's not because he has played well when the opportunity has presented itself. He's been atrocious. He can't supplant Legace or Hasek.

I feel an acquisition of Joseph would be a major step in the wrong direction for an organization that has a stable situation (finally).

Old
12-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Cuiffitelli

Quote:
Why? He cost way too much and is no better than who we have now!

Old
12-04-2003, 08:40 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Why? He cost way too much and is no better than who we have now!
Cujblow=Hackett or Esche only allot more expensive

Old
12-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Dr Love

There are better options at goalie in an emergency situation. I don't know who they would be, but they wouldn't cost $8 million a year and thus would be a better option.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Cujo was never available for $2M for this year.
He will be at the deadline, because thats all there will be left to pay him, thats not even including what the Wings would pay, theres even talk of them buying him out.

I was hoping Clarke would go with Esche and Malek then make a move if needed. Now hes commited to Hackett for 2 years which is bad.

CuJo is not worth $8m but he is an upgrade over Hackett.

Aquire CuJo at the deadline = $2m in salary for the remainder of the year + $8m next season, Det are said to be prepared to pay half the salary = £5m over 2 years.
Id take that over $6m for Hackett for 2 years.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:18 AM
stanley

I heard they would be willing to pay a portion for this season, but nothing beyond. Then again, they may have to. As far as the Flyers are concerned, it's not as though they have problems in net anyway. It would just take a problem that is in Detroit and move it to Philadelphia. Are we just gluttons for punishment?

That's all I have. You think Cujo is an upgrade over what they have, and I don't. I can agree to disagree on that point. Being committed to Hackett at $3M for one more year than Cujo doesn't sound bad to me.

Closed Thread