HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memorandum

Old
01-08-2007, 10:17 PM
21Gator*

vCash: 500
Memorandum

To: Ryan Smyth, Joffrey Lupul

Cc: Shawn Horcoff

Re: Offensive Zone

When in the offensive zone consider Horcoff an option of last resort.

Shawn this goes for you as well. When in on a two on one - PASS!

Sincerest Regards,

21Gator

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:20 PM
JDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post

Sincerest Regards,

21Gator
To: 21Gator

Re:Re: Offensive Zone

My shot went off the crossbar.

Sincerely,

Shawn Horcoff

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:23 PM
dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubs View Post

Sincerely,

Shawn Horcoff
To: Shawn Horcoff

Re: Re: Re: Offensive Zone

Next time, make it the underside of the crossbar.

Sincerely,
dubya

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:

Sincerest Regards,

21Gator
hahaha so true

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
oilerdynasty

Someone let Horcoff know that when carrying the puck it's easier to keep control with two hands on the stick, not the one he's using tonight.

And remind him not to gain the blue line and drop a pass to no one, as is his nature.

oilerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdynasty View Post
And remind him not to gain the blue line and drop a pass to no one, as is his nature.
NO that is a Ryan Smyth trademark

Old
01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubs View Post

Sincerely,

Shawn Horcoff
Re:Re:Re: Offensive Zone

Shawn,

You are jinxed. If chances were points, you'd lead the league.

Don't give us your bad mojo.

Best,

21Gator

Last edited by 21Gator*: 01-08-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:

Sincerest Regards,

21Gator
To: Puck

Re: Crossbar

Next time, please go 1 inch lower, therefor resulting in a goal, with the end result being ignorant horcoff-haters having to shut the heck up.

Sincerest Regards,

Oilerfan_55

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:18 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
To: Puck

Re: Crossbar

Next time, please go 1 inch lower, therefor resulting in a goal, with the end result being ignorant horcoff-haters having to shut the heck up.

Sincerest Regards,

Oilerfan_55

First of all, mind your tongue. No need to call someone ignorant because they don't respect Horc's offensive game. And far from hate him, I think he's a great hockey player. He's not a first line center. And he is a ES monster. But this has gone beyond a slump. He is a shut down center and a great PK'er.

Old
01-09-2007, 01:11 AM
gr8haluschak

The one thing I forgot to add is it would be a lot more funny of you did not sign it Jason Smith because quite honestly CAN jason Smith even hit the net ?

Old
01-09-2007, 01:15 AM
alanschu

You can't always pass on a 2 on 1, otherwise teams will cheat.

Horcoff created the 2 on 1 thanks to his speed to get past a pinching Visnovsky. He also had a dynamite chance from the slot on a one timer from Smyth that Garon made a good save on.

Horcoff played a good game today.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:34 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post

Horcoff created the 2 on 1 thanks to his speed to get past a pinching Visnovsky. He also had a dynamite chance from the slot on a one timer from Smyth that Garon made a good save on.

the play killer did play a decent game, actually a decent last few. Atleast over that stretch he did not try to do hos famous shoot it through the goalie. But as for the two on one you can easily get the goalie out of position by shooting far side pad and have the trailer get the rebound. It amazes me that such a simple move that just about every NHL team does the Oilers don't.

Old
01-09-2007, 01:38 AM
alanschu

I've seen plenty of 2 on 1's where the player shooting the puck makes a genuine attempt to score, rather than a shot in an attempt to get a rebound. You can hardly fault the Oilers for doing it.

It's easy to remember the bad. Chances are, a 2 on 1 where Horcoff did do that that and it didn't result in a goal, would be criticized for something else.

Had he scored, no one would care. Every 2 on 1 that doesn't result in a goal is going to get criticized by some people.

Old
01-09-2007, 01:47 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
I've seen plenty of 2 on 1's where the player shooting the puck makes a genuine attempt to score, rather than a shot in an attempt to get a rebound. You can hardly fault the Oilers for doing it.

It's easy to remember the bad. Chances are, a 2 on 1 where Horcoff did do that that and it didn't result in a goal, would be criticized for something else.

Had he scored, no one would care. Every 2 on 1 that doesn't result in a goal is going to get criticized by some people.

No the Oilers never use that play, and hey I don't even remeber that play. All I am saying is the fact that these guys only set plays to either score on one shot or try to Smyth the goals. The 2 on 1 play is one play but yet another one is when the guy is very down low for some strange reason our forwards seem to try to screen the goalie or go for the tip when instead they should be staing a little off the crease on the opposite side of the net toward the shot and have the shooter fire it off the far side pad - instant reboud, and it gives you a legitimate chance to score over what the Oilers seem to do.

Old
01-09-2007, 01:56 AM
alanschu

Quote:
No the Oilers never use that play, and hey I don't even remeber that play.
Wait, you know that the Oilers never use that play, but you can't remember the 2 on 1 from the game? Which teams do use that play?

Quote:
when the guy is very down low for some strange reason our forwards seem to try to screen the goalie or go for the tip when instead they should be staing a little off the crease on the opposite side of the net toward the shot and have the shooter fire it off the far side pad - instant reboud, and it gives you a legitimate chance to score over what the Oilers seem to do.
And I distinctly remember Jarret Stoll doing just what you describe for Fernando Pisani's first goal in Game 6 of the series against Detroit.

But if it's that easy, shouldn't scores be much higher in the NHL, by the teams that apparently do employ this strategy?

It's all easy to make such analysis from our birds eye view with slow motion instant replay, without being tired and having defensemen rush at you giving you mere instants to make the play.

Old
01-09-2007, 02:05 AM
SuperUke99

Quote:

I agree on Horcoff playing a good game. He worked his a$$ off out there. Same goes for stoll great job. The Czech line made me nervous!

As for Lupul....I havent got on him yet as I was giving him time to get his game in order but man...he doenst do anything out there?

Lupul was the cause of the first goal. The puck was shot up to him on the boards where he was having a tough time with a one on one battle. Then once he got control of the puck instead of chiping it out off the board he shot it back into our zone???? Then Horcoff tried to play it and was hit by Armstrong and voila...there is the scoring chance they cashed in on.

Lupul only plays on the top line when things are going okay...but then late in the game he was benched for the Smyth, Hemsky, Hocoff line. Also he cant kill pentalties??? More and more I am wishing we could have got Getzlaf or Perry because Lupul is looking like a fish out of water right now.

At least we got the 2pts but I hope he can pull his game together

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:09 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Wait, you know that the Oilers never use that play, but you can't remember the 2 on 1 from the game? Which teams do use that play?
Oh give me a break, you know how I know they did not use it BECAUSE EVERYONE IS BAGGING on Horcoff for screwing up that play and in my years of being a season ticket holder I have no memeory of them EVERY using that move, hell maybe they did once but they don't use it enough.

Quote:
And I distinctly remember Jarret Stoll doing just what you describe for Fernando Pisani's first goal in Game 6 of the series against Detroit.

But if it's that easy, shouldn't scores be much higher in the NHL, by the teams that apparently do employ this strategy?

It's all easy to make such analysis from our birds eye view with slow motion instant replay, without being tired and having defensemen rush at you giving you mere instants to make the play.
The type of play I am talking about but what I mean is if Smyth was on Stoll's side and stoll would go for the tip/screen instead of going to the other side of the crease, but yeah I mean they do it so often. Added to that how about you watch how many teams actually do that - many do try that move it is just like the set play of missing the net so the shot comes out the other side. Of I forgot those are hard to do that but it must be so much easier to try to skate to the crease and crash the net .

Old
01-09-2007, 02:19 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Oh give me a break, you know how I know they did not use it BECAUSE EVERYONE IS BAGGING on Horcoff for screwing up that play and in my years of being a season ticket holder I have no memeory of them EVERY using that move, hell maybe they did once but they don't use it enough.
No memory whatsoever, yet can't even remember a play that happened this very evening? Sorry if I'm less than confident in your memory.

Quote:
The type of play I am talking about but what I mean is if Smyth was on Stoll's side and stoll would go for the tip/screen instead of going to the other side of the crease, but yeah I mean they do it so often. Added to that how about you watch how many teams actually do that
Well...how many teams actually do that?

Quote:
many do try that move it is just like the set play of missing the net so the shot comes out the other side. Of I forgot those are hard to do that but it must be so much easier to try to skate to the crease and crash the net .
I remember New Jersey used to do that on their 2 on 1s on occassion. But how many people would ***** at the Oilers if they did shoot it off the pads, and the goalie played it well enough that there was no good rebound? You've been on this forum since July 2004, surely you've noticed that when a play doesn't result in an Oiler goal, people ***** about it.

I remember a really good one about some Smyth basher bashing Smyth because he couldn't score on an easy tap in when the puck is right on the goal line. Of course Nick Lidstrom, having Smyth's stick tied up so perfectly that he literally couldn't move it any more forward (and yes, it was legal...Lidstrom did it all with his own stick), was conveniently ignored in said rant.

Old
01-09-2007, 02:30 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
No memory whatsoever, yet can't even remember a play that happened this very evening? Sorry if I'm less than confident in your memory.
I will tell you why because quite clearly I did not see it and like I said how you and others describe it it is clear that NO MATTER what they did not do what I said they should try.

Quote:
Well...how many teams actually do that?
Do you watch other games ? because obvioulsy you don't added to that the time you do try that play is if you have a 2 on 1 and the d man has played it perfectly preventing the pass. With that being said you see it on almost a weekly basis if you watch games.

Quote:
I remember New Jersey used to do that on their 2 on 1s on occassion. But how many people would ***** at the Oilers if they did shoot it off the pads, and the goalie played it well enough that there was no good rebound? You've been on this forum since July 2004, surely you've noticed that when a play doesn't result in an Oiler goal, people ***** about it.
If it is a set play I never have a problem, and yes I am aware of what some fans on here are like. Added to that if you shoot it off the far side pad when you are on the sides you will ALWAYS get a rebound to the far side.

Old
01-09-2007, 02:34 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
To: Edmonton Oilers

Why do you have to make things so stressful? Sure, when LA scores a million goals you can score 4 or 5, but when they only score 1 you can only manage 2? Is there some kind of secret deal you've cut where you never want us to feel comfortable or remotely relaxed?

Oh, and could you please clinch a playoff spot earlier this year.

Yours truly,

shawnmullin

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:35 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Do you watch other games ? because obvioulsy you don't added to that the time you do try that play is if you have a 2 on 1 and the d man has played it perfectly preventing the pass. With that being said you see it on almost a weekly basis if you watch games
I do on occassion, but not usually. My question was sincere. Bring it to my attention the next time it happens.

Quote:
If it is a set play I never have a problem, and yes I am aware of what some fans on here are like. Added to that if you shoot it off the far side pad when you are on the sides you will ALWAYS get a rebound to the far side.
Always? I mean, there's never a defensemen guarding you (or the net, or the other player), and the goalie never covers it, and it never takes an odd bounce, say off the goalies skate? Seriously, why aren't you coaching in the NHL? Teams should be lighting the lamp consistently under your tutelage. It's so simple. Just get to the side of the net, put a guy on the other side of the net, and shoot it off the goalies far pad. And who's saying that Horcoff's shot wasn't necessarily a set play? After all, you'd never have a problem with it if it was.

Old
01-09-2007, 02:48 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
I do on occassion, but not usually. My question was sincere. Bring it to my attention the next time it happens.

Always? I mean, there's never a defensemen guarding you (or the net, or the other player), and the goalie never covers it, and it never takes an odd bounce, say off the goalies skate? Seriously, why aren't you coaching in the NHL? Teams should be lighting the lamp consistently under your tutelage. It's so simple. Just get to the side of the net, put a guy on the other side of the net, and shoot it off the goalies far pad. And who's saying that Horcoff's shot wasn't necessarily a set play? After all, you'd never have a problem with it if it was.
If you put it on his pad and it is a hard shot the goalie will (sorry) almost never get the chance to cover it up because the puck is comming off the pad hard (unless there is some fluke where it bounces back to him - oh but sorry I forgot those flukes happen on every play). Oh yeah I forgot that I must not know what I am talking about I mean I work at e year round goalie school and as a result have spent many hours shooting puckshooting machines at goalies and have watched what happens when you shoot at pads, but sorry I most not know what I am talking about. Added to that I coach one team and help out with another and more and more times coaches are telling players to do exactly what I said to do, but once again I must not know what I am talking about. Finally Get it through your skull first I never saw the play but what I am gathering was it was a broken up play, and second in this post I never criticized Horcoff for whatever he did because I NEVER saw the damn play - all I said is why don't the OIlers use that play more often.

Old
01-09-2007, 03:04 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Oh yeah I forgot that I must not know what I am talking about I mean I work at e year round goalie school and as a result have spent many hours shooting puckshooting machines at goalies and have watched what happens when you shoot at pads, but sorry I most not know what I am talking about.
I never said you didn't know what you are talking about. I was suggesting that you pursue a career as an NHL coach.

Quote:
Finally Get it through your skull first I never saw the play but what I am gathering was it was a broken up play
Well, you did say that you didn't "remember" the play, not that you didn't see it at all.

Quote:
all I said is why don't the OIlers use that play more often.
Maybe it's not actually as successful at the NHL level? (BTW, a serious question).

Old
01-09-2007, 03:09 AM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
The one thing I forgot to add is it would be a lot more funny of you did not sign it Jason Smith because quite honestly CAN jason Smith even hit the net ?
I dont think he was signing it as Jason Smith, as much as he meant to be signing it from his HFboards login name...

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:25 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:

Maybe it's not actually as successful at the NHL level? (BTW, a serious question).
It must not be successful since many teams do use the 2 on 1 suggestion, added to that you brought the video evidence that shows the rebound will be there if you shoot it where I say you do, and it will always be a better play on a 2 on 1 then trying to pick a corner becuase if you miss it just ends up (at best case) going into the corner and gives the other team a chance to get their guys back into postion. As well it is a better play on a down low chance from the side then just trying to screen the goalie or tip it infront of the goalie (not infront of the net) becuase 1) the goalie has EVERYTHING covered on the short side 2) you are simple wasting your guy by being there since there is very very very little chance that it will go in 3) you create all sorts of problems by shooting it off the far side pad because all of a sudden that reboud has come into prime scoring area.