HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ex Wing Blake Sloan now a Star

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Kukla

vCash: 500
Ex Wing Blake Sloan now a Star

Blake Sloan now a Dallas Star. Wings called him up, had to clear waivers and Stars picked him up, per WJR radio in Detroit.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:27 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
Blake Sloan now a Dallas Star. Wings called him up, had to clear waivers and Stars picked him up, per WJR radio in Detroit.
if its true, its not earth shattering.

still questioned why Detroit Needed him Anyways.

But one has to wonder how a guy like Steve Thomas can clear waivers via this process... But Blake Sloan cannot.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Um, I thought you had to clear waivers when being sent down, not when being called up .

Old
12-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
Don't you only have to clear waivers if sent down?

Old
12-03-2003, 08:30 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
i think it has to do with post-waiver draft free agent signings. So people dont hold of signing people till after the waiver draft.

You sign the guy, and are forced to expose him when adding him to your roster.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
i think it has to do with post-waiver draft free agent signings. So people dont hold of signing people till after the waiver draft.

You sign the guy, and are forced to expose him when adding him to your roster.
If you sign a guy after the waiver draft, you have to expose either the player or somebody on your protected list in order to add them to your roster. This happened earlier this year, I think Philadelphia signed Steve Webb, but Pittsburgh took him off waivers.

Lou Lamoriello found a little loophole with this. He protected an exempt player in Scott Cameron. So when he signed Tommy Albelin after the draft, he exposed Cameron and added Albelin to the roster without exposing Albelin. Cameron then couldn't be selected anyways because he doesn't need to clear waivers.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Hmm, i dont know what to say. It's not anything major. Look for Nathan Robinson to head back to Detroit tonight. Sloan was scheduled to play tonight.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
No, if a team signs a new player to their roster, and that player was not protected in the waiver draft, than the team must do one of two things:
-Have the new addition who wasn't subject to the waiver draft, clear waivers.

-Or expose a player that was initially protected in the September waiver draft.

Why you ask?
So teams can't beat the system.....A team and player could come to an agreement where they have exacts of a contract inplace and everything, but put off the signing until after the waiver draft, so the team can maybe protect a player on the bubble......keep in mind their are more roster spots than players you can protect.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Kukla

http://tsn.ca/nhl/transactions.asp

Old
12-03-2003, 08:50 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
No, if a team signs a new player to their roster, and that player was not protected in the waiver draft, than the team must do one of two things:
-Have the new addition who wasn't subject to the waiver draft, clear waivers.

-Or expose a player that was initially protected in the September waiver draft.

Why you ask?
So teams can't beat the system.....A team and player could come to an agreement where they have exacts of a contract inplace and everything, but put off the signing until after the waiver draft, so the team can maybe protect a player on the bubble......keep in mind their are more roster spots than players you can protect.
and the wings CANNOT expose anybody who was protected, becuase half their team is injured. the only guy who they could expose is cujo... But obviously he wasnt protected.

So the wings had to expose Sloan.

now correct me if im wrong, but Sloan HAS to play on Dallas right? If they attempt to send him down, Detroit has first rights to claim him back if they see the need to.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Seachd

So does this mean that Dallas tried to sign him, too? Or maybe he signed for less in Detroit than they thought they would get him for?

Old
12-03-2003, 08:57 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
So does this mean that Dallas tried to sign him, too? Or maybe he signed for less in Detroit than they thought they would get him for?
he was int he AHL, Detroits Minor League Team, on a Tryout contract. And I guess played effective, so Detroit Signed him. Im sure his play caught the eyes of Dallas, and they just waited to see the outcome since he was already signed.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Jag68Sid87

As for why a Blake Sloan wouldn't pass through waivers but a Steve Thomas would, it's all about the benjamins. Sloan isn't making a couple of Million, Thomas is at age 40.

You can't blame teams for passing on Stumpy, otherwise they'd have signed him prior to the waiver draft.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:19 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
As for why a Blake Sloan wouldn't pass through waivers but a Steve Thomas would, it's all about the benjamins. Sloan isn't making a couple of Million, Thomas is at age 40.

You can't blame teams for passing on Stumpy, otherwise they'd have signed him prior to the waiver draft.

i thought he signed for like. 1.2 million?

Old
12-03-2003, 09:26 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27

It could have been someone else I heard this about at the time, but I believe that Thomas' agent faxed all the teams saying if they claimed him, he wouldn't report to them.

Old
12-03-2003, 10:17 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i thought he signed for like. 1.2 million?
Actually it was a mil exactly (nhlpa.com), but that's still a lot more than I bet Sloan signed for.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Starsdude

A bit of a fan favorite when he was here before I guess they thought his experience put him ahead of Gainey, who looked decent in a 4th line 6-8 minute role. Interesting in that Manny Malhotra could have just stayed and you would get a younger bigger player. Really no room for him anyway when everyone is healthy so what is the point.

Closed Thread