HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A day in the life of McCarthy...and a question...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2003, 08:50 AM
  #1
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
A day in the life of McCarthy...and a question...

Sandy wakes up to the barking of his dog who wants to be let out. McCarthy wants to sleep more so he fixes his evil gaze on the dog-who whimpers and takes off, tail between his legs.

When he does wake up he sees that it has snowed a few inches last night and his neighbour is shovelling away, McCarthy concentrates his glare as hard as he can on the back of his neighbours head...who eventually starts to feel uneasy and makes his way over to the McCarthy drive-way where he cleans it off. Sandy smiles to himself, it has been a good day thus far.

Later he intimidates the kid at McDonalds into offering him a free lunch.

That evening McCarthy is lined up against the opponent's tough-guy who is poking at him and calling him on. McCarthy glares at him.

Nothing.

McCarthy furrows his brows as hard as he can. The guy is not intimidated still wants a peice of him. McCarthy is bewildered, and after turning the guy down, again, skates to the bench.

Later that night he is about to turn in...when the dog starts barking for food. McCarthy, nearly panicking, glares as long and hard as he can...
The dog takes off...
ahhh the world is good again.

The point of the story?
Who is scared of the glare of someone who is not going to back it up?
Certainly not an NHL enforcer.
When he was still fighting "the glare" scared me -sitting at home in front of the TV.
Now? Nothing.

--------------QUESTION-----------------------
I was watching TSN last night and they were saying how the Leafs have new glass panels that are 8ft long instead of 5...which means 30% less sanctions to block the fans view...
What are the chances of Boston putting these in? It would be a good move in fan PR I think...might sell more tickets for front row?

Colt.45Orr is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 08:52 AM
  #2
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 38,845
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr

--------------QUESTION-----------------------
I was watching TSN last night and they were saying how the Leafs have new glass panels that are 8ft long instead of 5...which means 30% less sanctions to block the fans view...
What are the chances of Boston putting these in? It would be a good move in fan PR I think...might sell more tickets for front row?

the 12 people sitting there now can see just fine.


__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 08:57 AM
  #3
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,992
vCash: 500
i'd only worry if someone cheapshotted one of our guys, and mccarthy didn't do anything about it. i think he's playing well for us where it counts- playing smart 4th line hockey, creating chances, and throwing bodychecks. but, there will always be some people who call him out b/c he hasn't fought 28 times already

neelynugs is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 09:02 AM
  #4
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
Hmmm, I guess I should point out that I don't totally hate McCarthy, I just think he could bring alot more to his game by dropping them more often.

It is a shame to think (counting his two hug-fests with Parker and Langdon) that the BOSTON BRUINS #1 HEAVYWEIGHT has NOT LANDED a punch to the face of an opponent with over 25% of the season done!

That is a black mark on the long, proud tradition of Boston Bruins enforcers.

I don't want to see blood-baths everywhere, I just think the guy could buy himself some room out there, and perhaps for his team-mates...by dropping the gloves instead of his eye-brows.

Colt.45Orr is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 09:20 AM
  #5
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Sandy on a busy day at the office:
<center><img src="http://www.newyorkrangers.de/foto2001/200.jpg">

misterjaggers is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:14 AM
  #6
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,229
vCash: 500
I wonder if anyone actually *thinks* of how many times the Bruins have been cheapshotted this year? Has anyone gone out and seriously taken a run at a Bruin? Very few if any.

If thats the case is McCarthy doing his job, all the while giving good hard shifts and even scoring a few goals? Or do you people just want to see two other adults fight, because I could SWEAR you fight apologists have told me that having a goon prevents cheap shots and that was their main concern. No? Or is it that you people are still so naive to think that fighting "pumps" the team up? HA! Good one! Or more likely you cant appreciate hockey as a sport so you need these type of antics to entertain yourselves.

Continue to bash McCarthy while he does a good job for us, but everyone who does so is just showing that they really dont care if the Bruins win or lose, they just want fights. The rest of us will be rooting for wins...it will be easy to spot us...we will be walking upright and breathing through our noses....no knuckles on the floor.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
  #7
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
whatsbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I wonder if anyone actually *thinks* of how many times the Bruins have been cheapshotted this year? Has anyone gone out and seriously taken a run at a Bruin? Very few if any.

If thats the case is McCarthy doing his job, all the while giving good hard shifts and even scoring a few goals? Or do you people just want to see two other adults fight, because I could SWEAR you fight apologists have told me that having a goon prevents cheap shots and that was their main concern. No? Or is it that you people are still so naive to think that fighting "pumps" the team up? HA! Good one! Or more likely you cant appreciate hockey as a sport so you need these type of antics to entertain yourselves.

Continue to bash McCarthy while he does a good job for us, but everyone who does so is just showing that they really dont care if the Bruins win or lose, they just want fights. The rest of us will be rooting for wins...it will be easy to spot us...we will be walking upright and breathing through our noses....no knuckles on the floor.
Thats only part of his job.
When the team needs a spark a big win over the oponent in a fight often gets the team pumped and going.
Just a guess, but this might be where the bulk of the complaints are
from.

whatsbruin is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:38 AM
  #8
Eat It
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
I wonder if anyone actually *thinks* about what both Sandy and MOC said when it was decided that he'd be a good fit in Boston. All the talk about how last year was an aborration in terms of sandy's fighting, or lack there of, and how he'd be a great tough presence on the ice.

The man doesn't have to fight every game or even every week. What troubles me is seeing scrums develop while he's out there and watching him skate to the bench. Lapointe should take him aside and explain that he has a responsibility to step in to those situations, not skate away.

And if he took Naz up on his challenge and pummelled him in the first period against the Yotes I think it would have set a much different tone for the rest of the game. But it would have cost McCarthy at least one shift and that's too much time for a guy with his goal scoring talent to be off the ice.

Eat It is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:44 AM
  #9
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat It
I wonder if anyone actually *thinks* about what both Sandy and MOC said when it was decided that he'd be a good fit in Boston. All the talk about how last year was an aborration in terms of sandy's fighting, or lack there of, and how he'd be a great tough presence on the ice.

The man doesn't have to fight every game or even every week. What troubles me is seeing scrums develop while he's out there and watching him skate to the bench. Lapointe should take him aside and explain that he has a responsibility to step in to those situations, not skate away.

And if he took Naz up on his challenge and pummelled him in the first period against the Yotes I think it would have set a much different tone for the rest of the game. But it would have cost McCarthy at least one shift and that's too much time for a guy with his goal scoring talent to be off the ice.
Yea I am sure a first period fight would have gone a long way from the Yotes scoring with a minute left. Wanna buy some swampland?

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 10:59 AM
  #10
Eat It
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Did I write anything about the last goal? no, no i didn't.

"wanna buy some swampland?" - Why do you need to try and add insult in every post.

Eat It is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:27 AM
  #11
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat It
Did I write anything about the last goal? no, no i didn't.

"wanna buy some swampland?" - Why do you need to try and add insult in every post.
If it doesnt change the outcome, then what purpose does it serve? A first period fight between two willing combatants that generate no PPs for either side is merely a delay of game. Honestly, do you think anyone would care if he beat up Andrei "Jesus of" Nazarov? Nope. Do you think the game would have turned out exactly the same? Yep.

See no insults, happy?

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 11:42 AM
  #12
Eat It
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
It would have changed the tone of the game. The Bruins are a far superior team to yotes but through out the game they allowed Phoenix to hang around. When Sandy turned away from Naz it sent the wrong message to Phoenix; that we wouldn't fight them for a win, but rather try to slide by.

When a team is slumping it's up to every man to try and spark the team. Well guess what? We're slumping a bit now. And why was Sandy brought to Boston? It's time he does his job, that's all anyone here has posted. If you don't think fighting is part of his job here then there's no point in going on with this.

And yes, very well done with dropping the insults, thanks.

Eat It is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 01:02 PM
  #13
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
If it doesnt change the outcome, then what purpose does it serve? A first period fight between two willing combatants that generate no PPs for either side is merely a delay of game. Honestly, do you think anyone would care if he beat up Andrei "Jesus of" Nazarov? Nope. Do you think the game would have turned out exactly the same? Yep.
There are many different aspects to a hockey game. Bruwinz20, you know this obviously, but your posts don't reflect this. Nobody is claiming a W in the fight column =1 in the goal column, so stop the "knuckle-dragging" crap (sadly it isn't even your *clever insight..Jeff started it)

What I am saying, and argue this all you want...but there are import aspects to a hockey game -not seen on the scoresheet- that determine your success...SUCH us
1)Sending a message,
and
2)knowing your damn role.

If you argue against the first, I would suggest you are not fit for this fine Bruins board. My mother, of all people, understands the importance of sending messages in hockey. IT IS A GAME WITHIN A GAME.

For the record I believe in team-toughness, shared responsibilities ect...but a guy has to KNOW HIS ROLE.
On a healthy team...
Your mosk skilled player *should* be leading the team in points.
Your best defensive player *should* lead the team in blocked shots.
Your starting goalie *should* have the best SV.PCT
And your enforcer *should* be leading the team in fighting majors.

Once again, I think Sandy has played well for us- but could add another dimension to his current game.

Colt.45Orr is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
  #14
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
There are many different aspects to a hockey game. Bruwinz20, you know this obviously, but your posts don't reflect this. Nobody is claiming a W in the fight column =1 in the goal column, so stop the "knuckle-dragging" crap (sadly it isn't even your *clever insight..Jeff started it)

What I am saying, and argue this all you want...but there are import aspects to a hockey game -not seen on the scoresheet- that determine your success...SUCH us
1)Sending a message,
and
2)knowing your damn role.

If you argue against the first, I would suggest you are not fit for this fine Bruins board. My mother, of all people, understands the importance of sending messages in hockey. IT IS A GAME WITHIN A GAME.

For the record I believe in team-toughness, shared responsibilities ect...but a guy has to KNOW HIS ROLE.
On a healthy team...
Your mosk skilled player *should* be leading the team in points.
Your best defensive player *should* lead the team in blocked shots.
Your starting goalie *should* have the best SV.PCT
And your enforcer *should* be leading the team in fighting majors.

Once again, I think Sandy has played well for us- but could add another dimension to his current game.
McCarthy is next to worthless if he thinks there's more to his game than being an enforcer. He quite obviously thinks he's quite a skilled player. I guess he backs that theory up with his whopping goal total of two. (snicker)
I really wish they would simply waive him and pick up someone who will do the job rather than attempt to stare them down to avoid a fight. His "act" is getting as tiresome as watching back-to-back episodes of "The Golden Girls".

Don Cherry* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 01:33 PM
  #15
jordo77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Colton, Colton, Colton Orr.

I'm sure he would have obliged Naz!!

Fighting is part of hockey and, as Don Cherry would say, if you don't like it go watch figure skating.

jordo77 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 01:54 PM
  #16
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 38,845
vCash: 500
Awards:
Colton Orr would be a good heavyweight...if he could skate.

Gee Wally is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 02:10 PM
  #17
Still a Bruin fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Ranger fans were complaining about his lack of "enforcement" last year so this is nothing new.
He just doesn't want to fight much anymore.
There were also times last year I saw that could have been a good time to not only stick up for a teammate that got pushed around, but also change the environment of the game and he didn't answer the bell.

We'll see some moments this year where we'll question or praise his reaction or non-reaction to the play on the ice.

Still a Bruin fan is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 02:17 PM
  #18
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still a Bruin fan
Ranger fans were complaining about his lack of "enforcement" last year so this is nothing new.
He just doesn't want to fight much anymore.
There were also times last year I saw that could have been a good time to not only stick up for a teammate that got pushed around, but also change the environment of the game and he didn't answer the bell.

We'll see some moments this year where we'll question or praise his reaction or non-reaction to the play on the ice.
I think it's (hopefully) safe to say that he will step in if a teammate gets pushed around. What we're not seeing at all is him initiating things and trying to give the team an emotional lift. What we really need is to have him be sort of a number two guy and get a younger, more hungry guy to be the number one.

Don Cherry* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
  #19
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I'm kind of in the middle of this debate....I can't really recall any situation that the Bruins needed Mac to stick up for anyone, but you would figure Sandy has to drop them atleast ONCE in awhile when challenged.

I'm also not going to overstate McCarthy's presence on this team. 2 goals and 2 fights in 20+ games.....Honestly, would he be severely missed if he wasn't suiting up?

WBC8 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:26 PM
  #20
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
I think it's (hopefully) safe to say that he will step in if a teammate gets pushed around. What we're not seeing at all is him initiating things and trying to give the team an emotional lift. What we really need is to have him be sort of a number two guy and get a younger, more hungry guy to be the number one.

Emotional lift....oh my sides....I cant believe people buy this stuff.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:59 PM
  #21
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Emotional lift....oh my sides....I cant believe people buy this stuff.
Then again, nothing will fire the team up like seeing Rob Zamuner kill a penalty. Of course Zam does other things such as score goa....oops, that's right, he doesn't HAVE any.

Don Cherry* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 05:06 PM
  #22
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
Then again, nothing will fire the team up like seeing Rob Zamuner kill a penalty. Of course Zam does other things such as score goa....oops, that's right, he doesn't HAVE any.
Well, he doesn't have any when a goalie is in there....

WBC8 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 05:08 PM
  #23
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Emotional lift....oh my sides....I cant believe people buy this stuff.

You should ask Denis Gauthier what he thinks about Oliwa....He says with him on the team everybody grew 2 inches and gained 20 lbs...He also said seeing him go out there night after night and fighting the other team's heavy really fires up the team......

Saw the interview a few weeks ago....

WBC8 is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 05:13 PM
  #24
Don Cherry*
 
Don Cherry*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
You should ask Denis Gauthier what he thinks about Oliwa....He says with him on the team everybody grew 2 inches and gained 20 lbs...He also said seeing him go out there night after night and fighting the other team's heavy really fires up the team......

Saw the interview a few weeks ago....
You would think that an NHL player would know this, huh? Luckily, we have a few people here who know better than the NHLers themselves that fighting does NOTHING to fire up the team. (snicker)

Don Cherry* is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 05:21 PM
  #25
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
You would think that an NHL player would know this, huh? Luckily, we have a few people here who know better than the NHLers themselves that fighting does NOTHING to fire up the team. (snicker)

I really always wondered until I saw that...It always looked like fights fired the teams up on TV, especially with all the stick banging when the fight ended....I could never believe that grown men playing hockey would need something like a fight to inspire them, so I know where BW20 is coming from....I got the impression that Gauthier was sick of taking on all of the heavys (he's a decent fighter, but not great)....He said it felt like he had more room on the ice now also....It was an interview between periods of one of the Oilers/Flames games on sportsnet.....It was an eye opening interview....

WBC8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.