HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

No Comrie in Spengler Cup

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Seachd

vCash: 500
No Comrie in Spengler Cup

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62906

If Comrie isn't traded by then, I think this is the dumbest thing Comrie could do. Nobody wants him as it is, and he'll lose his only shot to generate any interest. I don't get this guy.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:56 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

man, he's just burning all his bridges, isn't he

Old
12-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Seachd

Right now, he doesn't have a whole lot of friends in the hockey world. It's not just Oiler fans that don't understand him. This would be a perfect opportunity for him to play for his country and get a little hockey under his belt this year. Maybe then people would say, "Well, he's at least a little bit of a stand-up guy. He can't be all bad."

Other than playing in the NHL, I see no reason for him not to go, "minor" tournament or not.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:22 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
hold it

"We haven't discussed it and we don't expect him to be available," Comrie's agent Ritch Winter said Wednesday.

so its only Rich Winter saying it, besides Comrie will be an idiot if he isnt already if he turns this down.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Digger12

Man, this thing keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Either Winter truly feels that a deal is imminent, or Comrie's being a total whack job. Surely they must see that getting MC back on the ice in any capacity is a good thing, and that if he's dominant it can only help spur this process along? Winter's a lot of things, but he's not a total idiot. Even he must see that this Greta Garbo act isn't exactly enhancing MC's image with the teams that might want to deal for him.

The Spengler was good enough for Mike Peca, but not for Comrie? ENOUGH WITH THE DRAMA! :mad:

Old
12-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Seachd

Actually, I was going to put in that this is probably just Winter's brilliant idea, but I forgot.

I honestly don't see why Comrie would turn this down, and I hope in the end, he decides to go.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I dont get these guys. 24 hours ago, K. Prendergast said that not ONE team is interested. What pisses me off is that they just outright said no, if they wanted to semi-dig themselves out of their 45ft. holes, they could have atleast gave a more acceptable answer like,

"it's something he's interested in, it's been well documented that this kid wants to play hockey, it would be a good chance for Mike to get some games in while we figure things out in Edmonton; unfortunately, it is not something we see happening due to the current situation."

I've said all along that I wish Mike and KLO could just kiss and make up, but they are really making it hard for me to like them.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:43 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62906

If Comrie isn't traded by then, I think this is the dumbest thing Comrie could do. Nobody wants him as it is, and he'll lose his only shot to generate any interest. I don't get this guy.
If Comrie goes and plays over there and signs a contract that means he can NOT play a game in the NHL for the rest of the season. So that is why Comrie isn't going over to play. They want him to get traded and want Comrie in the NHL this season.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:55 AM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
If Comrie goes and plays over there and signs a contract that means he can NOT play a game in the NHL for the rest of the season. So that is why Comrie isn't going over to play. They want him to get traded and want Comrie in the NHL this season.
Did someone say anything about his signing a contract??? He is invited to a tournament to play for Team Canada.

This can't be his reasoning - assuming he has any. Personally, I think both he and Winter have totally lost any rationality over this thing - they could not possibly be screwing up Mike's career any worse.

So...if the league goes to lockout next year as expected, and it lasts a season or more as expected....has Comrie played his last NHL game?

Old
12-03-2003, 09:59 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb701
Did someone say anything about his signing a contract??? He is invited to a tournament to play for Team Canada.

This can't be his reasoning - assuming he has any. Personally, I think both he and Winter have totally lost any rationality over this thing - they could not possibly be screwing up Mike's career any worse.

So...if the league goes to lockout next year as expected, and it lasts a season or more as expected....has Comrie played his last NHL game?
I read this article in the Edmonton Journal and they made it sound like if he went over there that he would likely jeopardize him playing in the NHL this season.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
That only refers to the scenario of Comrie signing over in Europe and playing for a team. The Spengler Cup is not considered league play, so I am pretty sure he'd be safe to play while awaiting a deal. Besides, there is a roster freeze from Dec. 19th to the 27th, so why not go and play?

Mowzie already brought up the double talk from both sides; needless to say, Lowe and Winter are giving it their own spin. I am more inclined to believe Lowe, since a) nothing has been done yet, b) various news sources indicated Lowe has reduced asking price, and nothing has happened, c) all the purported legit trade proposals have, in my humble opinion, looked weak in return for us, and d) Winter wants to get his client playing ASAP, with the very real possibility of a lockout for next season so he is lobbying like crazy to get things done. Winter is also a sleazy player agent, but that's just personal conjecture

Closed Thread