HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DRAFT: Coyotes select Oliver Ekman-Larsson 6th overall

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2009, 07:13 PM
  #1
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
DRAFT: Coyotes select Oliver Ekman-Larsson 6th overall

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...sort=finalRank

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
  #2
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy
 
DouX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tempe
Country: United States
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Well we needed defense, it's a solid pick, let him play in Sweden for another year and we will see him in 2011.

DouX is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
  #3
Jakeman
Registered User
 
Jakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
A good 2way defencmen, he should be a good pick.

Jakeman is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
  #4
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
He'll be in Sweden at least a year, and then maybe a year in the AHL. He's a few years away, but his potential is that of a true #1 defenseman at both ends of the ice. He's an incredibly smart player with a big enough frame to top out in the 200 lb. range (he's 6'2"). As a Swede, he's off course incredibly mobile, but he's a willing physical player as well. He's a bit raw, but he really doesn't have any big holes in his game. I absolutely love this pick, if you can't tell.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:29 PM
  #5
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Oliver-Ekman-Taylor-Thomas-Ashley-Kate-Olson-Larsson, huh? Meh. I don't usually have any faith in these kids that come from total obscurity to top ten status just inside of their draft year. He's playing on a minor league team in Sweden and putting up modest numbers. Nothing I've read about him raves about any particular facet of his game. They even said on the TSN broadcast that he's not necesarily a powerplay quarter back. That he can play with the man advantage but he's not going to be running the offense from the point. Hmmm...

I can't be too hard on the pick, having never seen the kid play, but I honestly don't like it, at this point. I'd have prefered Svensson or Kadri, for sure. Hell, even a trade down. In fact, ESPECIALLY a trade down.

I don't know. I don't know what to think. I don't really know enough to be totally bummed, but on the surface, just knowing what I know, in general, about prospects past, I'm not a fan of this pick, at all. He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest. He didn't make the SEL and he didn't make the U-20 WJC squad. He's never put up any impressive numbers at any level that I can find, and he wasn't on anybody's radar until a couple of months ago.

Not a fan. Not yet.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:31 PM
  #6
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
Well we needed defense, it's a solid pick, let him play in Sweden for another year and we will see him in 2011.
No, no. Much longer than that. This kid makes Kyle Turris look like Mike Tyson, and has maybe one tournament worth of experience on the smaller ice surface. Plus, defenseman, in general, typically take much longer to develop. This is a long, long term project. Think more like Blake Wheeler than Mikkel Boedker.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
  #7
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
ISS, via Bob McKenzie's rankings (where OEL sits 6th, behind the 5 guys who were drafted ahead of him, by the way):

Quote:
Ekman-Larsson is a very confident skater with excellent offensive skills. His shot can be compared to that of pro level players, however it takes time to get off at times. He has great transitionally offensive ability and can start the rush effectively and quickly. He finished second in scoring by d-men during the World U18 championship with 8 points in 6 games. Has a strong ability to throw some crushing hits and is a very steady performer. He is very difficult to get around as he in impressively mobile and angles out very well.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
  #8
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy
 
DouX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tempe
Country: United States
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No, no. Much longer than that. This kid makes Kyle Turris look like Mike Tyson, and has maybe one tournament worth of experience on the smaller ice surface. Plus, defenseman, in general, typically take much longer to develop. This is a long, long term project. Think more like Blake Wheeler than Mikkel Boedker.
That's kind of disappointing, I'd figure the Coyotes would be looking for someone who can step in and play much sooner than that. This organization needs to put a winner on the ice ASAP, not in 3-4 years. But so be it, we have a bright future, especially once we know that our club is not in danger of leaving.

DouX is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:39 PM
  #9
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Oliver-Ekman-Taylor-Thomas-Ashley-Kate-Olson-Larsson, huh? Meh. I don't usually have any faith in these kids that come from total obscurity to top ten status just inside of their draft year. He's playing on a minor league team in Sweden and putting up modest numbers. Nothing I've read about him raves about any particular facet of his game. They even said on the TSN broadcast that he's not necesarily a powerplay quarter back. That he can play with the man advantage but he's not going to be running the offense from the point. Hmmm...

I can't be too hard on the pick, having never seen the kid play, but I honestly don't like it, at this point. I'd have prefered Svensson or Kadri, for sure. Hell, even a trade down. In fact, ESPECIALLY a trade down.

I don't know. I don't know what to think. I don't really know enough to be totally bummed, but on the surface, just knowing what I know, in general, about prospects past, I'm not a fan of this pick, at all. He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest. He didn't make the SEL and he didn't make the U-20 WJC squad. He's never put up any impressive numbers at any level that I can find, and he wasn't on anybody's radar until a couple of months ago.

Not a fan. Not yet.
I'm sort of disappointed as well, but I'm also interested to see what he'll bring to the table. It's interesting to me that in the Don Maloney interview on the Coyotes website, he said that we would pick the best player available vs. the team "needs". In fact, GMDM even said that we aren't in desperate need of defensive prospect, so does this mean that the Coyote's staff really feels that Ekman-Larsson is the best player available? I guess time will tell, I'm looking forward to hearing interviews from Don about our pick

Rabbit is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
  #10
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest.
He's got great wheels and a terrific first pass, but for what it's worth, there are a lot of great defenseman about whom you can't really compliment anything specific. Lidstrom, Niedermayer, etc. Wasn't Numminen's most notable trait just how innocuous he was?

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
  #11
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
He's got great wheels and a terrific first pass, but for what it's worth, there are a lot of great defenseman about whom you can't really compliment anything specific. Lidstrom, Niedermayer, etc. Wasn't Numminen's most notable trait just how innocuous he was?
Fair enough. Things take a long time to hit me. This has to settle in. It just kind of sucks seeing the nearly anonymous(until a couple of months ago) kid that I know nothing about getting picked while the higher profile guys, and guys I know are fantastic prospects like Kadri, Svensson, and Schroeder still on the board.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:45 PM
  #12
Chootoi
Registered User
 
Chootoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
That's kind of disappointing, I'd figure the Coyotes would be looking for someone who can step in and play much sooner than that. This organization needs to put a winner on the ice ASAP, not in 3-4 years. But so be it, we have a bright future, especially once we know that our club is not in danger of leaving.
You can't ice a team full of rookies every year and expect to win. Not every player is Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, ready to step in and shoot the lights out. You have to allow time for development.

Chootoi is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:46 PM
  #13
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Look at it this way. Maybe you can't say anything specifically good about OEL (and I'd argue that you can, but still), but you can't say anything specifically bad about him either. He doesn't have Schroeder's height issues, Paajarvi-Svensson's hands issues, or Kadri's attitude issues. He needs to add a few pounds, but he has the frame to do so, and he's Swedish. When was the last time you saw an adult Swede who was underweight?

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:48 PM
  #14
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
I'm sort of disappointed as well, but I'm also interested to see what he'll bring to the table. It's interesting to me that in the Don Maloney interview on the Coyotes website, he said that we would pick the best player available vs. the team "needs". In fact, GMDM even said that we aren't in desperate need of defensive prospect, so does this mean that the Coyote's staff really feels that Ekman-Larsson is the best player available? I guess time will tell, I'm looking forward to hearing interviews from Don about our pick
The consensus amongst Bob McKenzie's ten NHL scouts, polled for TSN's draft list, was that Larsson is the sixth best prospect in this draft. He was the second highest rated defenseman on that list, and the second highest pick for a defenseman in the actual draft. It's not really like he was off the board. I just fear that he may be a flash in the pan. Just look at similar come out of nowhere, shooting stars in recent drafts. Andrew Ladd went from the BCHL(nobody knew his name the year before his draft) to one season of major junior to the fourth overall pick. Now he's a checking line plug. Benoit Pouliot went from the,I believe,OPJHL(nobody knew his name the year before the draft) to one season of major junior to the fourth overall pick. Now he's looking like he may be more of an AHL star than an NHL anything(still a little early for that conclusion, but early returns aren't good).

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
  #15
zyllyx
STH Hipster
 
zyllyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Peoria
Country: United States
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Fair enough. Things take a long time to hit me. This has to settle in. It just kind of sucks seeing the nearly anonymous(until a couple of months ago) kid that I know nothing about getting picked while the higher profile guys, and guys I know are fantastic prospects like Kadri, Svensson, and Schroeder still on the board.
Kadri, Paajarvi, and Schroeder all have one thing in common that made them less attractive to the Coyotes than Ekman-Larsson - they're forwards.

I'm personally thrilled. I had nightmares of drafting Cowen or Kulikov and OEL or Ellis were the two guys I was hoping to get (barring a trade down for players plus a Rundblad or someone like that).

zyllyx is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
  #16
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Look at it this way. Maybe you can't say anything specifically good about OEL (and I'd argue that you can, but still), but you can't say anything specifically bad about him either. He doesn't have Schroeder's height issues, Paajarvi-Svensson's hands issues, or Kadri's attitude issues. He needs to add a few pounds, but he has the frame to do so, and he's Swedish. When was the last time you saw an adult Swede who was underweight?
I don't buy the hands or attitude issues that come with Svensson or Kadri, though. As far as OEL, I have many more issues than I do with either of the other players. I have nothing really I can say about his game, specifically, but on paper I see a ton of red flags.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:52 PM
  #17
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Kadri, Paajarvi, and Schroeder all have one thing in common that made them less attractive to the Coyotes than Ekman-Larsson - they're forwards.

I'm personally thrilled. I had nightmares of drafting Cowen or Kulikov and OEL or Ellis were the two guys I was hoping to get (barring a trade down for players plus a Rundblad or someone like that).
Drafting for need is very stupid. I'm not saying that's what we did, in fact, I'm virtually certain that our staff considered OEL the sixth best player in the draft.

Anyway, you bring up a good point, he's not Kulikov, and he has both knees intact. For that I'm greatfull.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
  #18
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
ISS, via Bob McKenzie's rankings (where OEL sits 6th, behind the 5 guys who were drafted ahead of him, by the way):
Well, that's a little better. First I've heard of physical play. Really, as long as he can get the puck up the ice really well, I'm pretty happy. That's becoming more and more important these days. A D that can get the puck up to his forwards is quite valuable. Same with forwards willing to go hard to the net(Svensson ). Anyway, maybe we can move up some how and address that second thing by grabbing a guy like Ferraro or Caron.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
  #19
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Oliver-Ekman-Taylor-Thomas-Ashley-Kate-Olson-Larsson, huh? Meh. I don't usually have any faith in these kids that come from total obscurity to top ten status just inside of their draft year. He's playing on a minor league team in Sweden and putting up modest numbers. Nothing I've read about him raves about any particular facet of his game. They even said on the TSN broadcast that he's not necesarily a powerplay quarter back. That he can play with the man advantage but he's not going to be running the offense from the point. Hmmm...

I can't be too hard on the pick, having never seen the kid play, but I honestly don't like it, at this point. I'd have prefered Svensson or Kadri, for sure. Hell, even a trade down. In fact, ESPECIALLY a trade down.

I don't know. I don't know what to think. I don't really know enough to be totally bummed, but on the surface, just knowing what I know, in general, about prospects past, I'm not a fan of this pick, at all. He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest. He didn't make the SEL and he didn't make the U-20 WJC squad. He's never put up any impressive numbers at any level that I can find, and he wasn't on anybody's radar until a couple of months ago.

Not a fan. Not yet.
At the same age in Allsvenskan:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson 39 3 14 17 pts
Patrik Berglund 21 3 1 4 pts
Mikael Backlund 18 1 2 3 pts

OEL also couldn't make SEL. It's not NHL/AHL like relationships, Leksand is independent team.

And I understand he isn't filled out, but Turris was VERY skinny at draft day, and even more skinny than OEL.

Garl is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
  #20
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
At the same age in Allsvenskan:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson 39 3 14 17 pts
Patrik Berglund 21 3 1 4 pts
Mikael Backlund 18 1 2 3 pts

OEL also couldn't make SEL. It's not NHL/AHL like relationships, Leksand is independent team.

And I understand he isn't filled out, but Turris was VERY skinny at draft day, and even more skinny than OEL.
Thanks Garl. I like the pick a whole lot more, now. The fact that I'm retarded just became more clear, but I think that cat was let out of the bag a LOOONG time ago.

rt is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
  #21
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 500
I for one am VERY EXCITED about this pick. I think in 2 years time everyone second guessing the Coyotes will look back and be thankful GMDM and his scouts made this selection. The kid is flat out smart when it comes to positional play and is fantastic in the transition game. His plus 44 speaks volumes.

As far as OEL not being on the Swedish World Junior team only speaks more to the abundance of talent that Sweden has. He will be a focal point on the Swedish blueline at the World Juniors this year.

Now let's see if GMDM can maneuver his way back into the bottom of the 1st round.

untouchable21 is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
  #22
sublimesept
Registered User
 
sublimesept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Great pick!

sublimesept is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 09:17 PM
  #23
PPD7952
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
This is a good, long term pick. Good for the Coyotes. I am actually glad they didn't take Cowen, Kadri, or anyone else. This kid looks like a very smooth player that will be given the proper time to develop at whatever level he needs.

PPD7952 is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
  #24
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,836
vCash: 50
Stay tuned. I got video from the Coyotes draft party of their first pick. Gotta upload it.

__________________
http://thenhlhotlist.wordpress.com/
Follow along on Twitter: http://twitter.com/azvibesports
Dolemite is offline  
Old
06-26-2009, 10:06 PM
  #25
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,726
vCash: 500
Hopefully we can get a kid like Landon Ferraro or Tatar or Morin, tommorrow.

rt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.