HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DRAFT: Coyotes select Oliver Ekman-Larsson 6th overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2009, 07:13 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
DRAFT: Coyotes select Oliver Ekman-Larsson 6th overall

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...sort=finalRank

Old
06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Well we needed defense, it's a solid pick, let him play in Sweden for another year and we will see him in 2011.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
A good 2way defencmen, he should be a good pick.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
PhoPhan

He'll be in Sweden at least a year, and then maybe a year in the AHL. He's a few years away, but his potential is that of a true #1 defenseman at both ends of the ice. He's an incredibly smart player with a big enough frame to top out in the 200 lb. range (he's 6'2"). As a Swede, he's off course incredibly mobile, but he's a willing physical player as well. He's a bit raw, but he really doesn't have any big holes in his game. I absolutely love this pick, if you can't tell.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Oliver-Ekman-Taylor-Thomas-Ashley-Kate-Olson-Larsson, huh? Meh. I don't usually have any faith in these kids that come from total obscurity to top ten status just inside of their draft year. He's playing on a minor league team in Sweden and putting up modest numbers. Nothing I've read about him raves about any particular facet of his game. They even said on the TSN broadcast that he's not necesarily a powerplay quarter back. That he can play with the man advantage but he's not going to be running the offense from the point. Hmmm...

I can't be too hard on the pick, having never seen the kid play, but I honestly don't like it, at this point. I'd have prefered Svensson or Kadri, for sure. Hell, even a trade down. In fact, ESPECIALLY a trade down.

I don't know. I don't know what to think. I don't really know enough to be totally bummed, but on the surface, just knowing what I know, in general, about prospects past, I'm not a fan of this pick, at all. He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest. He didn't make the SEL and he didn't make the U-20 WJC squad. He's never put up any impressive numbers at any level that I can find, and he wasn't on anybody's radar until a couple of months ago.

Not a fan. Not yet.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
Well we needed defense, it's a solid pick, let him play in Sweden for another year and we will see him in 2011.
No, no. Much longer than that. This kid makes Kyle Turris look like Mike Tyson, and has maybe one tournament worth of experience on the smaller ice surface. Plus, defenseman, in general, typically take much longer to develop. This is a long, long term project. Think more like Blake Wheeler than Mikkel Boedker.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
PhoPhan

ISS, via Bob McKenzie's rankings (where OEL sits 6th, behind the 5 guys who were drafted ahead of him, by the way):

Quote:
Ekman-Larsson is a very confident skater with excellent offensive skills. His shot can be compared to that of pro level players, however it takes time to get off at times. He has great transitionally offensive ability and can start the rush effectively and quickly. He finished second in scoring by d-men during the World U18 championship with 8 points in 6 games. Has a strong ability to throw some crushing hits and is a very steady performer. He is very difficult to get around as he in impressively mobile and angles out very well.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No, no. Much longer than that. This kid makes Kyle Turris look like Mike Tyson, and has maybe one tournament worth of experience on the smaller ice surface. Plus, defenseman, in general, typically take much longer to develop. This is a long, long term project. Think more like Blake Wheeler than Mikkel Boedker.
That's kind of disappointing, I'd figure the Coyotes would be looking for someone who can step in and play much sooner than that. This organization needs to put a winner on the ice ASAP, not in 3-4 years. But so be it, we have a bright future, especially once we know that our club is not in danger of leaving.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Oliver-Ekman-Taylor-Thomas-Ashley-Kate-Olson-Larsson, huh? Meh. I don't usually have any faith in these kids that come from total obscurity to top ten status just inside of their draft year. He's playing on a minor league team in Sweden and putting up modest numbers. Nothing I've read about him raves about any particular facet of his game. They even said on the TSN broadcast that he's not necesarily a powerplay quarter back. That he can play with the man advantage but he's not going to be running the offense from the point. Hmmm...

I can't be too hard on the pick, having never seen the kid play, but I honestly don't like it, at this point. I'd have prefered Svensson or Kadri, for sure. Hell, even a trade down. In fact, ESPECIALLY a trade down.

I don't know. I don't know what to think. I don't really know enough to be totally bummed, but on the surface, just knowing what I know, in general, about prospects past, I'm not a fan of this pick, at all. He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest. He didn't make the SEL and he didn't make the U-20 WJC squad. He's never put up any impressive numbers at any level that I can find, and he wasn't on anybody's radar until a couple of months ago.

Not a fan. Not yet.
I'm sort of disappointed as well, but I'm also interested to see what he'll bring to the table. It's interesting to me that in the Don Maloney interview on the Coyotes website, he said that we would pick the best player available vs. the team "needs". In fact, GMDM even said that we aren't in desperate need of defensive prospect, so does this mean that the Coyote's staff really feels that Ekman-Larsson is the best player available? I guess time will tell, I'm looking forward to hearing interviews from Don about our pick

Old
06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
He's a bean pole, playing on a huge ice-surface in the European East-West game, and doesn't seem to have any specific qualities that really, really make him stand out from the rest.
He's got great wheels and a terrific first pass, but for what it's worth, there are a lot of great defenseman about whom you can't really compliment anything specific. Lidstrom, Niedermayer, etc. Wasn't Numminen's most notable trait just how innocuous he was?

Old
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
He's got great wheels and a terrific first pass, but for what it's worth, there are a lot of great defenseman about whom you can't really compliment anything specific. Lidstrom, Niedermayer, etc. Wasn't Numminen's most notable trait just how innocuous he was?
Fair enough. Things take a long time to hit me. This has to settle in. It just kind of sucks seeing the nearly anonymous(until a couple of months ago) kid that I know nothing about getting picked while the higher profile guys, and guys I know are fantastic prospects like Kadri, Svensson, and Schroeder still on the board.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
That's kind of disappointing, I'd figure the Coyotes would be looking for someone who can step in and play much sooner than that. This organization needs to put a winner on the ice ASAP, not in 3-4 years. But so be it, we have a bright future, especially once we know that our club is not in danger of leaving.
You can't ice a team full of rookies every year and expect to win. Not every player is Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, ready to step in and shoot the lights out. You have to allow time for development.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:46 PM
PhoPhan

Look at it this way. Maybe you can't say anything specifically good about OEL (and I'd argue that you can, but still), but you can't say anything specifically bad about him either. He doesn't have Schroeder's height issues, Paajarvi-Svensson's hands issues, or Kadri's attitude issues. He needs to add a few pounds, but he has the frame to do so, and he's Swedish. When was the last time you saw an adult Swede who was underweight?

Old
06-26-2009, 07:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
I'm sort of disappointed as well, but I'm also interested to see what he'll bring to the table. It's interesting to me that in the Don Maloney interview on the Coyotes website, he said that we would pick the best player available vs. the team "needs". In fact, GMDM even said that we aren't in desperate need of defensive prospect, so does this mean that the Coyote's staff really feels that Ekman-Larsson is the best player available? I guess time will tell, I'm looking forward to hearing interviews from Don about our pick
The consensus amongst Bob McKenzie's ten NHL scouts, polled for TSN's draft list, was that Larsson is the sixth best prospect in this draft. He was the second highest rated defenseman on that list, and the second highest pick for a defenseman in the actual draft. It's not really like he was off the board. I just fear that he may be a flash in the pan. Just look at similar come out of nowhere, shooting stars in recent drafts. Andrew Ladd went from the BCHL(nobody knew his name the year before his draft) to one season of major junior to the fourth overall pick. Now he's a checking line plug. Benoit Pouliot went from the,I believe,OPJHL(nobody knew his name the year before the draft) to one season of major junior to the fourth overall pick. Now he's looking like he may be more of an AHL star than an NHL anything(still a little early for that conclusion, but early returns aren't good).

Old
06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Fair enough. Things take a long time to hit me. This has to settle in. It just kind of sucks seeing the nearly anonymous(until a couple of months ago) kid that I know nothing about getting picked while the higher profile guys, and guys I know are fantastic prospects like Kadri, Svensson, and Schroeder still on the board.
Kadri, Paajarvi, and Schroeder all have one thing in common that made them less attractive to the Coyotes than Ekman-Larsson - they're forwards.

I'm personally thrilled. I had nightmares of drafting Cowen or Kulikov and OEL or Ellis were the two guys I was hoping to get (barring a trade down for players plus a Rundblad or someone like that).

Old
06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Look at it this way. Maybe you can't say anything specifically good about OEL (and I'd argue that you can, but still), but you can't say anything specifically bad about him either. He doesn't have Schroeder's height issues, Paajarvi-Svensson's hands issues, or Kadri's attitude issues. He needs to add a few pounds, but he has the frame to do so, and he's Swedish. When was the last time you saw an adult Swede who was underweight?
I don't buy the hands or attitude issues that come with Svensson or Kadri, though. As far as OEL, I have many more issues than I do with either of the other players. I have nothing really I can say about his game, specifically, but on paper I see a ton of red flags.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Kadri, Paajarvi, and Schroeder all have one thing in common that made them less attractive to the Coyotes than Ekman-Larsson - they're forwards.

I'm personally thrilled. I had nightmares of drafting Cowen or Kulikov and OEL or Ellis were the two guys I was hoping to get (barring a trade down for players plus a Rundblad or someone like that).
Drafting for need is very stupid. I'm not saying that's what we did, in fact, I'm virtually certain that our staff considered OEL the sixth best player in the draft.

Anyway, you bring up a good point, he's not Kulikov, and he has both knees intact. For that I'm greatfull.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
ISS, via Bob McKenzie's rankings (where OEL sits 6th, behind the 5 guys who were drafted ahead of him, by the way):
Well, that's a little better. First I've heard of physical play. Really, as long as he can get the puck up the ice really well, I'm pretty happy. That's becoming more and more important these days. A D that can get the puck up to his forwards is quite valuable. Same with forwards willing to go hard to the net(Svensson ). Anyway, maybe we can move up some how and address that second thing by grabbing a guy like Ferraro or Caron.

Old
06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Garl

Quote:

Not a fan. Not yet.
At the same age in Allsvenskan:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson 39 3 14 17 pts
Patrik Berglund 21 3 1 4 pts
Mikael Backlund 18 1 2 3 pts

OEL also couldn't make SEL. It's not NHL/AHL like relationships, Leksand is independent team.

And I understand he isn't filled out, but Turris was VERY skinny at draft day, and even more skinny than OEL.

Old
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
At the same age in Allsvenskan:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson 39 3 14 17 pts
Patrik Berglund 21 3 1 4 pts
Mikael Backlund 18 1 2 3 pts

OEL also couldn't make SEL. It's not NHL/AHL like relationships, Leksand is independent team.

And I understand he isn't filled out, but Turris was VERY skinny at draft day, and even more skinny than OEL.
Thanks Garl. I like the pick a whole lot more, now. The fact that I'm retarded just became more clear, but I think that cat was let out of the bag a LOOONG time ago.

Old
06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I for one am VERY EXCITED about this pick. I think in 2 years time everyone second guessing the Coyotes will look back and be thankful GMDM and his scouts made this selection. The kid is flat out smart when it comes to positional play and is fantastic in the transition game. His plus 44 speaks volumes.

As far as OEL not being on the Swedish World Junior team only speaks more to the abundance of talent that Sweden has. He will be a focal point on the Swedish blueline at the World Juniors this year.

Now let's see if GMDM can maneuver his way back into the bottom of the 1st round.

Old
06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
sublimesept

Great pick!

Old
06-26-2009, 09:17 PM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
This is a good, long term pick. Good for the Coyotes. I am actually glad they didn't take Cowen, Kadri, or anyone else. This kid looks like a very smooth player that will be given the proper time to develop at whatever level he needs.

Old
06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Stay tuned. I got video from the Coyotes draft party of their first pick. Gotta upload it.

Old
06-26-2009, 10:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hopefully we can get a kid like Landon Ferraro or Tatar or Morin, tommorrow.

Closed Thread