HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

OT: Greater PHX Area and Arena Info

Old
02-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
I would say the time to buy is still 8 months to a year away. Simple supply and demand is going to drive prices down much further. Soooo many houses on the market and no buyers. Not to mention those junior flippers out there that got themselves into 3in1 ARMs that are coming due.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:03 AM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlincoyote2k1 View Post
Heh, go down Broadway in Mesa sometime. I swear, there is no break in the bad parts of town, all the way through; lots of run-down old trashy buildings and Mexicans on the west side of town, old folks as you start getting out east, and once past Power, it's nothing but old people and rednecks all the way through AJ.
Ya, but I'd expect that on Broadway in Mesa. Not in the nice North Phoenix area.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:04 AM
WilECoyote

I'd recommend my stomping grounds out here in Peoria. Close to the stadiums and Lake Pleasant. Nice neighborhoods and decent schools for the little ones.

WilECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:12 AM
diceone

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
I don't know if it's the area or what, but 1-17 and deer valley and and the surrounding area has so much meth, white trash, mexicans. I've seen hookers walking down Deer Valley road.
That's just the west valley from my experience

I live in the east valley on Val Vista and Baseline. Good, quiet area. Anything south of here is pretty nice (not downtown Chandler though, that's little Mexico). Gilbert is the place to be in the east if you don't want to be bothered by anyone, and there are a lot of jobs on this side of town.

But yeah, as the poster above said, AJ is full of hicks, don't go too far past Power.

diceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:16 AM
diceone

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
Ya, but I'd expect that on Broadway in Mesa. Not in the nice North Phoenix area.
Hahaha, the police officers out here call 8th Street in Mesa "little Van Buren." I guess there is a LOT of prostitution and dealing on that street, and it's mostly residential.

I can't believe my parents let me hang out at the Nile Theater in downtown Mesa when I was like, 12 years old. If anyone here knows what that place was like, I'm sure you'd understand.

Old
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceone View Post
Hahaha, the police officers out here call 8th Street in Mesa "little Van Buren." I guess there is a LOT of prostitution and dealing on that street, and it's mostly residential.

I can't believe my parents let me hang out at the Nile Theater in downtown Mesa when I was like, 12 years old. If anyone here knows what that place was like, I'm sure you'd understand.
Nice. Ya I remember going to the Nile to see the Long Beach Dub All Stars years ago.

After a concert at the celebrity theater (Long Beach also) years ago my friends and I stopped at a Circle K at like 9th Street and Van Buren, they wouldn't let me use thier bathroom, so I pissed on the side of the circle k, got back in the car and then flashing lights. Two cops come up to the rear passenger side where I was sitting, rip me out of the car and tell me I'm the dumbest white boy they've ever seen. Really funny story that would take me too much time to type up but it included, beer, mushrooms, drunk driving, bootlegging concerts, hookers, pimps, bums, betting, hillarity ensued.

Old
02-13-2007, 12:40 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with everything said, but keep in mind: Phoenix is a sprawling city with awful traffic. If you don't enjoy long commutes, make sure you live close to your work, even if that means sacrificing square footage.

Also, the city itself is quite ugly. Imagine a flat 14,573 sq. mi. grid of 7/11, Circle K and Mc Donalds, with no real downtown to speak of. You've got to really love driving everywhere to live here. Nobody walks anywhere. Seriously. And public transportation is a joke.

Pollution can get pretty nasty in the summer as well.
And last item on the rant list: on average the Arizona school system is one of the worst of the nation.

On the plus side:

- There's an effort made for better public transportation. The new train system is being developed and should look pretty good in 10 years.
- ASU is growing its dowtown Phoenix campus very fast (30,000 students within 5 years). That should make the area more dynamic.
- Real estate taxes are very low.
- You CAN find decent public schools, you just have to make the effort. If you have kids, take school districts in consideration when looking for a home.
- Hockey tickets are reportedly the cheapest of the entire NHL, and usually very easy to get, even at the last minute.

Funny fact from Wikipedia:

"It was incorporated as a city on February 25, 1881 and is called Hoozdo, or "the place is hot", in the Navajo language."

Last edited by zz: 02-13-2007 at 01:11 PM.
zz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
WebMistress

Send a message via AIM to WebMistress
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaky View Post

Other coyotes hang out there quite a bit - a lot of them have kids in skating programs at that rink, but I don't know their schedules. I got to chat with Doaner, BGL, Geoff Sanderson, Sean Burke... fun stuff.
I agree. My daughter plays on a team with Sean Burke's son at the same rink, and the Coyote Dads are around all the time.

WebMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
WebMistress

Send a message via AIM to WebMistress
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorguitars View Post
ahh, ok, thanks!

how are the hockey programs in phoenix? a girl friend of mine and I are thinking of moving to phoenix, basically fresh start somewhere new. both of us play hockey as does her little boy, we definitely don't wanna go anywhere that we can't continue playing recreationally and her son can't continue to grow with the game.
Hey, glad to see you are back from Sweden. My daughter is a PeeWee with the CAHA and plays at the Ice Den in Scottsdale. PM me and I can give you all the URLs for information.

How old is your friend's son?

WebMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
WilECoyote

Quote:
That's just the west valley from my experience

I live in the east valley on Val Vista and Baseline. Good, quiet area. Anything south of here is pretty nice (not downtown Chandler though, that's little Mexico). Gilbert is the place to be in the east if you don't want to be bothered by anyone, and there are a lot of jobs on this side of town.
See the above quote for a typical Phoenix area resident. The east valley people, for some reason, look down upon the west valley people. I'm not sure if they are sore about the city moving west or the new stadiums or what. In other words, pick your side of the valley because it will define you with the local population.

WilECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
howlincoyote2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilECoyote View Post
See the above quote for a typical Phoenix area resident. The east valley people, for some reason, look down upon the west valley people. I'm not sure if they are sore about the city moving west or the new stadiums or what. In other words, pick your side of the valley because it will define you with the local population.
There really isn't *too* much different between the two sides of the Valley--lots of good areas, and lots of bad areas. A lot of people consider Scottsdale to be part of the East Valley...but I don't. It's just its own part of town that looks down on everyone :p

However, for us in the East Valley, it's a pain in the ass to get to Glendale Arena--you're pretty much forced to go through downtown Phoenix. For the Nashville game, I left at 5 PM from McClintock and University, and barely got there for the 7 PM puck drop. Freaking traffic, I swear...

howlincoyote2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:11 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Suckas. North Side 4 lyfe.

The 101 is only 3 lanes. Props to the idiot that planned that. And to the one who made the 17 two lanes. Wherever there is a new highway, there are new communities and developments that spring out from them. The dirty life goes to where they left.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Suckas. North Side 4 lyfe.
Word.

Old
02-13-2007, 02:23 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
North Side 4 lyfe.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:28 PM
LetsGoCoyotes

West-Side!!!!

eastside....

LetsGoCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
CoyoteLove

Send a message via AIM to CoyoteLove Send a message via MSN to CoyoteLove
I'm on the west side as well, like 10 mins. away from Jobing.com. This whole area isn't as bad as some others I have seen. Then again, I have lived here forever so I don't have much to compare it to. Haha.

CoyoteLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
amjay13

Compared to most big cities the traffic in Phoenix is light. Agreed on the bozo who designed the 101 to be 3 lanes although I think it's getting a 4th lane this summer. All in all I think Phoenix is a wonderful place to live. I've been here 4 years and now actually like the summer better than the winter. Love those hot summer nights!

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:06 PM
diceone

Quote:
It's all in good fun, man.

Anyways, like the other person said, the east has AJ which is about ten times worse than anything you can find in the west. I don't consider Scottsdale east valley, they're in a league of their own.

Old
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I don't consider Scottsdale east valley, they're in a league of their own.
I'm just glad they stay up in the mountains. Every now and then the FBR or Barret Jackson happens and the demons come out to play. Dark times.

Old
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Compared to most big cities the traffic in Phoenix is light.
I defy anyone who ever tried to make it to the Job from central Phoenix (let's say Bitlmore area) around 5 PM to call it "light traffic".

25 miles. 90 minutes.

Or downtown Phoenix to east Mesa.

30 miles. 90-120 minutes.

North Scottsdale from downtown is becoming very similar.

This is just as bad as any other big city. The big problem is there's no real alternative. The bus system is retarded.

I'm lucky enought live up north (junction 51/101). The 51 usually doesn't get too backed up, and I live 10 miles away from my job. But my coworkers spend 3 hours / day commuting. They hate it.

zz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I'm lucky enought live up north (junction 51/101). The 51 usually doesn't get too backed up, and I live 10 miles away from my job. But my coworkers spend 3 hours / day commuting. They hate it.
are you kidding me? The 101/51 interchange must suck the life and what precious little driving skill people have out of them. Have you ever watched people try to merge? They just don't know how. After you drive past there, it immediately clears up, and you wonder why the hell it was clogged in the first place.

Old
02-13-2007, 06:43 PM
taylorguitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMistress View Post
Hey, glad to see you are back from Sweden. My daughter is a PeeWee with the CAHA and plays at the Ice Den in Scottsdale. PM me and I can give you all the URLs for information.

How old is your friend's son?
He's 5 but he's playing in a mite league, and is in the top 3 leading scorers in the league so he's pretty good.

I also pm'd you.

And it's GREAT to be back from Sweden, what a friggin night mare!

taylorguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

So most of us, that posted on this thread, live in North Phoenix?

Also, regarding traffic, it can get bad but if it's taking you 90 minutes to get home on a regular basis then you people need to have your head examined. If you work in Central/Downtown Phoenix then you should really look into car pooling if you plan on using the freeways. Otherwise take surface streets until you get passed the really conjested areas.

Another tip, my friend meets me at the Job sometimes and she works at the airport, it takes her 45 minutes leaving at 5, using Grand Avenue.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:15 PM
amjay13

Quote:
I defy anyone who ever tried to make it to the Job from central Phoenix (let's say Bitlmore area) around 5 PM to call it "light traffic".

25 miles. 90 minutes.

Or downtown Phoenix to east Mesa.

30 miles. 90-120 minutes.

North Scottsdale from downtown is becoming very similar.

This is just as bad as any other big city. The big problem is there's no real alternative. The bus system is retarded.

Are you riding your bike from downtown to the arena? 90 minutes? I work downtown and live in North Scottsdale (Pinnacle Peak and Scottsdale Road). I can make it from the middle of downtown to the arena in 30 minutes and from downtown to home in 45 minutes at the absolute most. I realize traffic here is much worse than it use to be but go to Atlanta or LA and tell me it is bad here compared to their cities. I do agree the public transit is rotten (and non-existant), part of that might be because the city is so spread out. It'll be 30 years before the light rail project makes it this far north.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
YotesFan

Quote:
are you kidding me? The 101/51 interchange must suck the life and what precious little driving skill people have out of them. Have you ever watched people try to merge? They just don't know how. After you drive past there, it immediately clears up, and you wonder why the hell it was clogged in the first place.
That's going westbound on the 101, going east it's not a problem. At least in the evening, in the morning it's probably reversed.