HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time

Old
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
baldrick

vCash: 500
It's Time

It's time for Mr. Samsonov to prove his signing wasn't a mistake, that Gainey and Carbonneau's patience with him is justified. A rookie centerman during this time isn't sufficient excuse for non-preduction, he has been paired with Kovalev long enough for the two of them to figure it out. If he was signed as the "go-to-guy" as he stated it's time to prove it.

Last edited by baldrick: 01-09-2007 at 03:14 PM.
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:53 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

It's been "time" for about 3 months now. Time's up.

01-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Tuggy

Vader time!

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Alexei Yashvalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
It's been "time" for about 3 months now. Time's up.
Gainey hasn't traded him or waived him and Carbonneau hasn't benched him. How is the time up?

Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Vader time!
It's time!

It's Trade him time!!!!!

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-09-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
It's time for Mr. Samsonov to prove his signing wasn't a mistake, that Gainey and Carbonneau's patience with him is justified. A rookie centerman during this time isn't sufficient excuse for non-preduction, he has been paired with Kovolev long enough for the two of them to figure it out. If he was signed as the "go-to-guy" as he stated it's time to prove it.
OK thanks for the heads up I'll get right on the horn with Carbo and notify him of your decision

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:13 PM
GoodKiwi

All the things I would like to do to Samsonov...

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
Gainey hasn't traded him or waived him and Carbonneau hasn't benched him. How is the time up?
"It's time for Mr. Samsonov to prove his signing wasn't a mistake"

In my opinion, the time has passed for him to prove that. I will revert if come playoff time he starts producing consistently, but the signing was a mistake in my eyes.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:25 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
OK thanks for the heads up I'll get right on the horn with Carbo and notify him of your decision
I believe your dislike of the poster of the thread is the reason behind your sarcastic post as I have read some posts from you that are unhappy with Samsonov's contribution. If I am wrong please state why the original post is so unreasonable as to deserve such a petty reply.

Old
01-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
All the things I would like to do to Samsonov...
Sexy time?

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Time's only up if we can get something useful in return for him... otherwise... I don't see anybody who is clearly better than him knocking on the door for his job. Given that we don't need to free up his salary just yet, that is. By October 1st next year, well, that's a whole different story...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
ti-vite

Its Hammer time...ho!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I believe your dislike of the poster of the thread is the reason behind your sarcastic post as I have read some posts from you that are unhappy with Samsonov's contribution. If I am wrong please state why the original post is so unreasonable as to deserve such a petty reply.
I have no problem with you at all (in fact I have such a poor memory when it comes to usernames that unless the person says consistently foolish things or has a memorable avatar, I don't even notice) but I just fail to see the usefulness in ANOTHER thread about how Samsonov isn't performing. Of course I'm not happy with Samsonov's contribution - nobody is. I just don't see the point in making threads solely to complain about things without presenting viable alternatives.

I know he has to play better, you know he has to play better, Carbo knows he has to play better, Samsonov knows he has to play better. So...?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Time's only up if we can get something useful in return for him... otherwise... I don't see anybody who is clearly better than him knocking on the door for his job. Given that we don't need to free up his salary just yet, that is. By October 1st next year, well, that's a whole different story...
I believe his salary for this year is 3.5 milion? If you accept paying this amount for a player who contributes so little I'm assuming that this season is considered another year of building for the future? If so why not bring up Kotstitsyn and give him valuale time for next year? Right now I would take anyone of any use for Samsonov, whatever positon, whatever line. If Gainey is to pick up a decent player at the deadline curent roster salary must go and if he feels the team can make a serous run this year Souray, Abby, and Ninimma will be needed leaving Ryder and/or prospects expendable. I'm not a Kotstitsyn supporter nor would I greive if Ryder was dealt it just seems obvious where value given for money paid is the weakest.

Old
01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I believe his salary for this year is 3.5 milion? If you accept paying this amount for a player who contributes so little I'm assuming that this season is considered another year of building for the future? If so why not bring up Kotstitsyn and give him valuale time for next year?
Well no... exactly the contrary. This year is NOT a year of building for the future (at least, not exclusively). It's a year where we should have some degree of hope for a deep playoff run. In which case, I far prefer having Samsonov in the lineup than any of our internal alternatives.

There will be plenty of time to axe him in the summer, should his performance as a Hab thus far continue for the remainder of this season. We don't need his payroll space this season. At least, not to the extent of zapping him outright. If we can trade him for something that helps, but doesn't hurt us in the pocketbook over the summer, well and good. (Hence the early-season Lang-for-Samsonov dreams... but alas, even those dreams have been shattered by Samsonov's lacklustre performance). But I'm generally assuming he's untradeable right now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:17 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well no... exactly the contrary. This year is NOT a year of building for the future (at least, not exclusively). It's a year where we should have some degree of hope for a deep playoff run. In which case, I far prefer having Samsonov in the lineup than any of our internal alternatives.

There will be plenty of time to axe him in the summer, should his performance as a Hab thus far continue for the remainder of this season. We don't need his payroll space this season. At least, not to the extent of zapping him outright. If we can trade him for something that helps, but doesn't hurt us in the pocketbook over the summer, well and good. (Hence the early-season Lang-for-Samsonov dreams... but alas, even those dreams have been shattered by Samsonov's lacklustre performance). But I'm generally assuming he's untradeable right now.
But just think about the off season. We could've had Dumont cheaper if only Bob didn't rush with signing of Samsonov. Not to say JP is a superstar but he's doing better than Samsonov unquestionably. Heck, as it is now, he'd be the third highest producer on the team. I know this is from "coulda shoulda woulda" category, but I'm just saying...

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I have no problem with you at all (in fact I have such a poor memory when it comes to usernames that unless the person says consistently foolish things or has a memorable avatar, I don't even notice) but I just fail to see the usefulness in ANOTHER thread about how Samsonov isn't performing. Of course I'm not happy with Samsonov's contribution - nobody is. I just don't see the point in making threads solely to complain about things without presenting viable alternatives.

I know he has to play better, you know he has to play better, Carbo knows he has to play better, Samsonov knows he has to play better. So...?
Fair enough, my mistake. At this point I'd consider just about anyone as a viable alternative to him when the best you can say about your third highest paid forward is he's not a huge liability on the ice. His contract however I feel is a liability this year as it prevents a decent pickup at the deadline.

Old
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
It's time for Mr. Samsonov to prove his signing wasn't a mistake, that Gainey and Carbonneau's patience with him is justified. A rookie centerman during this time isn't sufficient excuse for non-preduction, he has been paired with Kovalev long enough for the two of them to figure it out. If he was signed as the "go-to-guy" as he stated it's time to prove it.

Just before signing Samsonov, Gainey noted that it was "on to plan D". In other words, he had been after numerous other players to fill the spot, including Shanahan. Samsonov is "plan D". Even if he produces, which he eventually might, he is not the type of player we need in our top 6. Fortunately I think Latendresse is and we now know he can be every bit as productive as Samsonov (if not more so). So I do not think it even matters "what time" it is. Samsonov's time in Montreal is limited.

The question is, "what is he worth?" Does Bob have another miracle up his sleeve a la Theodore?

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:45 AM
mcphee

The way I look at Samsonov right now is like a kick returner in football. He isn't part of the offense, but you think he has some game breaking ability but you'd sure like to see it at some point.

I don't think it's lack of effort, laziness, I think he's gotten so down on himself, so lacking in confidence, that a bad shift pretty well ends his effectiveness for the game.

Carbo's had a real problem finding a solution here. As I understand it, he's been reluctant to break up good combinations to get him going. Latendresse playing well in Higgins' absence made also limited Carbo's options. I don't think he wanted to experiment and punish players playing well, just to accomadate Sammy.

I think he has to make his game more black and white, go to the net without the puck more, maybe get some cheap goals. They can win without him scoring big, but it's getting to the point where he's clogging up the lineup.

I don't see him as being tradeable right now. Cap deals like this are just too tough, and they'll get tougher.

That's why I don't support many of the trade proposals I read, I just don't see many as being realistic. I think a team like Washington could fit Sammy for 1 year, but what's their incentive ? Gainey would have to include a mid round pick, or deal with a team also stuck with a contract they don't want.

Would you take Aucoin's contract for 2 more years, to be rid of Samsonov ? I wouldn't unless I knew I had no chance at 2 of the impending ufa's on D.

That's why, I'd rather they worked with their guys to find a way to make them more productive. I don't see Samsonov as a guy who doesn't give a crap. I think he has pride, and is embarassed at his production.

My immediate action would be to keep him away from Kovalev for 5-6 games. Play him with Bonk/Johnson, Pleks/Johnson, whoever, but let him play with a different lw'er, even if it cuts his icetime.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Delat

I would siggest you stop hating Samsonov, I always loved him and I still do. The guy is fast solid, and rarely looses the pucks in the offensive zone, yes...I agree he turns around a lot, but he's good, he would fit very nicely whit a lot of player in the team but the thing right now is that he doesn't seem to explore all is talent whit Kovalev...I would suggest he plays on the first line....Yesterday Ryder played left wing and was really good left wing...a Ryder-Koivu-Samsonov, Samsonov is going to show is value and you'll like him, I know it's tough to elieve but Samsonov is good and will help the team before this season ends.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:54 AM
VanNistelrooy

STOP !

Hammer time !

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I would siggest you stop hating Samsonov, I always loved him and I still do. The guy is fast solid, and rarely looses the pucks in the offensive zone, yes...I agree he turns around a lot, but he's good, he would fit very nicely whit a lot of player in the team but the thing right now is that he doesn't seem to explore all is talent whit Kovalev...I would suggest he plays on the first line....Yesterday Ryder played left wing and was really good left wing...a Ryder-Koivu-Samsonov, Samsonov is going to show is value and you'll like him, I know it's tough to elieve but Samsonov is good and will help the team before this season ends.
I don't hate Samsonov, I hate the lack of points and since he's probably here to stay I hope you're right but I won't hold my breath.

Old
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
yukoner

Samsonov is a proven playoff performer and we'll need his offence if we're going to go deep this year.

I'm not against trading him, but only for someone of equal potential and I don't see many of those around.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

I cringed at Radek Bonk all through last year..... until ?????

Let's not make the same mistake with Samsonov. Sure if he's invisible in the playoffs, that's the end, but come April he may well be a hero. And there's not enough crow in the world to eat for all the bashing he's taken.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Give the guy a break!!!
He was NEVER the huge star everybody thought he was going to be. Everybody thought he was going to score a huge a number of goals, but he isn't the hockey player that everybody thought and he has had to live up to the big expectations for years now....cut him some slack.
He gets his chances and he has scored goals for the team....I don't see what he has done wrong with what he has had to work with....Pleks and Kovy.
I think the only thing that needs to be done is for Carbo to juggle the lines around and put him on the wing with someone other than Kovalev, these 2 guys are too much the same to have on the same line.....switch things up. Give Samsonov a chance on the first line with Koivu and Ryder....Koivu is the setup man and Ryder and Samsonov are both snipers...I see nothing wrong with that solution and I could guarantee that Sammie would start putting the puck in the net if he was paired with Koivu.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote