HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Sizing Questions and Online Ordering

Old
02-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Senor Rational

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Stick Sizing Questions and Online Ordering

Hello all,

Ive never purchased hockey gear online, but it is so much cheaper then the local stores.

I have a few questions,

first, Ive never really thought about sizing. Im about 5'8 and I think Ive been using intermediate sized sticks. Never really gave much thought about it b/c Ive always used wood sticks and then trimmed them down as I needed. If I want to buy a composite stick online, and order a senior size, can I trim it down without affecting the strength and balance of the stick?

Second, Ive never really thought about the curve (the lie, where it curves, etc. . .). I know that I liked a round toe at the end and a decent but not over bearing curve, is there any website that can show me pictures of the curve? I look at all the numbers and they really dont mean much to me

Thank you

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Hugh Madbrough

A good website for you to check out is www.modsquadhockey.com

Use the search feature and you will find a lot of good info.

You can trim down a senior stick but that is going to make it stiffer. The more you cut the stiffer it gets, it will be a big difference from the intermediates (I use int's too). Lie is the most important thing when it comes to blades, you should find out what you use and if you like it stick to it.

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Rational View Post
Hello all,

Ive never purchased hockey gear online, but it is so much cheaper then the local stores.

I have a few questions,

first, Ive never really thought about sizing. Im about 5'8 and I think Ive been using intermediate sized sticks. Never really gave much thought about it b/c Ive always used wood sticks and then trimmed them down as I needed. If I want to buy a composite stick online, and order a senior size, can I trim it down without affecting the strength and balance of the stick?

Second, Ive never really thought about the curve (the lie, where it curves, etc. . .). I know that I liked a round toe at the end and a decent but not over bearing curve, is there any website that can show me pictures of the curve? I look at all the numbers and they really dont mean much to me

Thank you
I'm about your size, and I use a senior stick. I cut it down a couple inches, and I'm about 99% sure it doesn't effect the strength of the shaft, but it DOES effect the flex, it will make it noticeably stiffer, so buy a shaft with lots of flex.

For the blade, look around in stores and stuff. ePuck.com has a lot of info... Go here, and click on the blade tool thing.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:32 AM
VisionQuest*

Hockey giant and hockey monkey's sites both have blade curve charts.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Wooty

I am 5'8" and shrinking (41 Years old) I am decently strong, is an intermediate a good option?

------ topic change -----

I saw a bunch of used NHL sticks and none of them had butt ends in them. I assume there is not strength issue when you cut them and don't put an end in. The other thing I noticed is that they felt much stiffer then what I would buy in a shop. Also they all felt like they were cut shorter then I would play with.

Last edited by Wooty: 02-05-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 12:13 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
I am 5'8" and shrinking (41 Years old) I am decently strong, is an intermediate a good option?

I saw a bunch of used NHL sticks and none of them had butt ends in them. I assume there is not strength issue. The other thing I noticed is that they felt much stiffer then what I would buy in a shop. Also they all felt like they were cut shorter then I would play with.

I think so, but Im 6'4" so its hard for me to say for sure.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
They make intermediate sized one piece composite sticks. It should come with a composite butt end as well so if it is too long simply cut the butt end down so you don't mess with the integrity of the stick.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm 5'11" I use a senior stick. I know friends who use senior sticks who are about your height, I'd say you'd be fine with a senior. If anything, get a senior stick and try it. If not, cut it down. If you cut it down from now on, every stick you get, get the lowest flex(approximately 77 I believe) so that when you cut it and the flex increases it will go up to a decent number.

As for blade patterns, take your blade now and try to match it with some. Sadly, composite one pieces are hit and miss in terms of whether you'll like the curve, so try that and work with it from there.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
i went to the epuck site and clicked on bladetool and it was great, thank you all for your responses!

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote