HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Belly Off for the Playoffs - EDM Media Charity contest

Old
01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Belly Off for the Playoffs - EDM Media Charity contest

I figured I'd make a pre-emptive post about the Edmonton media's "Belly off for the Playoffs".

Mark Connolly (CBC) organized a bunch of the local media to enter a contest for charity. Others involved include my partner on the Pipeline Show Dean Millard (Global TV), Ken Reid & Dave Mitchell (CTV), Bob Stauffer from the TEAM 1260, Ryan Rishaug (TSN), Mark Scholtz (Oilers PPV) and Nick Lees of the Journal as well as Mark himself.

We're putting up some money, trying to drop as much weight between now and the start of the NHL playoffs and the winner (percent of weight lost) gets to donate the pot to his charity of choice.

We had our official weigh-in this morning in front of TV and newspaper cameras and... although I am far from the biggest media guy in town, I am the biggest one that showed up today so I figured I should own up before the razzing begins.

Christmas wasn't kind to the old waistline and I put on a dozen or so to a rotund 257 lbs.

(I say it was all part of my plan so I could shed the most by far... yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.).

I won't say what the rest of the guys weighed in at and there's a few guys on the road with the Oilers right now who are expected to join still including Robin Brownlee (SUN) , Morely Scott (Oilers) and Adam Cook (CTV).

Anyway, the TV coverage of that should hit your screens (widescreen would help) shortly after 6PM on CBC and CFRN too I believe. The Journal will have photos (yay pictures for all-time tomorrow)!

Stauff is also going to do some of that for his show starting... now!

All for charity, all for health... it's worth a little humiliation. Once my charity stuff is all set up, I'll let folks here know in case you want to donate $20 or something to help me reach our $1000/each target.

Thanks! I'm going to go have a nice gulp of air and wash it down with a half-glass of water.

Guy

Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
I figured I'd make a pre-emptive post about the Edmonton media's "Belly off for the Playoffs".

Mark Connolly (CBC) organized a bunch of the local media to enter a contest for charity. Others involved include my partner on the Pipeline Show Dean Millard (Global TV), Ken Reid & Dave Mitchell (CTV), Bob Stauffer from the TEAM 1260, Ryan Rishaug (TSN), Mark Scholtz (Oilers PPV) and Nick Lees of the Journal as well as Mark himself.

We're putting up some money, trying to drop as much weight between now and the start of the NHL playoffs and the winner (percent of weight lost) gets to donate the pot to his charity of choice.

We had our official weigh-in this morning in front of TV and newspaper cameras and... although I am far from the biggest media guy in town, I am the biggest one that showed up today so I figured I should own up before the razzing begins.

Christmas wasn't kind to the old waistline and I put on a dozen or so to a rotund 257 lbs.

(I say it was all part of my plan so I could shed the most by far... yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.).

I won't say what the rest of the guys weighed in at and there's a few guys on the road with the Oilers right now who are expected to join still including Robin Brownlee (SUN) , Morely Scott (Oilers) and Adam Cook (CTV).

Anyway, the TV coverage of that should hit your screens (widescreen would help) shortly after 6PM on CBC and CFRN too I believe. The Journal will have photos (yay pictures for all-time tomorrow)!

Stauff is also going to do some of that for his show starting... now!

All for charity, all for health... it's worth a little humiliation. Once my charity stuff is all set up, I'll let folks here know in case you want to donate $20 or something to help me reach our $1000/each target.

Thanks! I'm going to go have a nice gulp of air and wash it down with a half-glass of water.

Guy
Make sure it's distilled, that tap water goes straight to the hips honey.

Congrats, I always love to see this community involvement, and IMO, Edmonton is 2nd to none when it comes to these sorts of things. Good luck Guy, and just a reminder that the Mowzie Organization for Me, is currently collecting money for shoes...keep that in mind when you decide on a charity.

Best of Luck to you, and all the other competitors.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
readinthebox

I'm in Guy.

I can't compete. At about 180 lbs and about six feet tall, I don't have very much to spare.
So, you'll be the horse I'm betting on.
Once the details are ready, I'll contribute a donation to the "We'll Soon See Less of Guy Flaming" fund.

Good luck.

readinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Why don't we help Guy out as a family on HF, maybe start some friendly betting on games or something, with the loser having to donate a certain amount or something. Just thinking out loud.

Old
01-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Bump, it's almost 6pm, tune into the news, and watch Guy. Ladies...if you're lucky, he's shirtless.

Old
01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
dreamshake

Terry Jones should be in this contest, he could easily raise the amount of the national GDP of USA in charity.

dreamshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshake View Post
Terry Jones should be in this contest, he could easily raise the amount of the national GDP of USA in charity.
I don't begrudge the guys in town that were no-shows.

It takes a bit of guts to go on TV and let everyone know how much you tilt the scales at, I wasn't sure I'd be brave enough knowing I'd be one of the guys at the wrong end of the spectrum (Didn't think I'd be the most but there were only 8 or 9 guys who showed up!).

I'll be contacting the Stollery tomorrow to find out exactly how donations can be made to them that get credited to "Guy Flaming Belly Off". Bob Stauffer is also doing the Stollery but I know you all would rather your cash go to the Children's hospital through my part than his... right!?

Old
01-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Bump, it's almost 6pm, tune into the news, and watch Guy. Ladies...if you're lucky, he's shirtless.

I wouldn't have done that to the unsuspecting public. I feel bad enough for my wife.

Old
01-09-2007, 09:10 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshake View Post

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:20 PM
IceDragoon

You got my vote... er... $20, Guy.

IceDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Bob has an unfair advantage, he has the most weight to lose. hehe

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Bob has an unfair advantage, he has the most weight to lose. hehe
Um... no he doesn't. He was 2nd heaviest from the guys who showed up.

Besides, it's not totoal weight lost it's percentage of original weight lost so 13 pounds on Ken Reid is a much larger percentage than 13 pounds on me or Bob. Ken Reid at a paltry 202 lbs has a HUGE advantage.

BTW... got an e-mail from a local media guy who mentioned he can't partake but that he outweighs me by 25 lbs.

See? I'm not the biggest media guy in town!

I still hope the other guys who were expected to join still do (Robin Brownlee, Adam Cook and Morley Scott). It's for charity and for better health.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Um... no he doesn't. He was 2nd heaviest from the guys who showed up.

Besides, it's not totoal weight lost it's percentage of original weight lost so 13 pounds on Ken Reid is a much larger percentage than 13 pounds on me or Bob. Ken Reid at a paltry 202 lbs has a HUGE advantage.

BTW... got an e-mail from a local media guy who mentioned he can't partake but that he outweighs me by 25 lbs.

See? I'm not the biggest media guy in town!

I still hope the other guys who were expected to join still do (Robin Brownlee, Adam Cook and Morley Scott). It's for charity and for better health.
I hear yeah, good luck Guy, it's great thing you guys are doing.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:06 PM
vbet*

Go Bob!

Just imagine him next year at the UofA vs Rookies games flying in the shootout like Cogliano....oh wait, maybe not.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote