HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best hit in NHL history?

Old
01-10-2007, 10:12 AM
jerseydevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
Scott Stevens on Slava Kozlov in the playoffs.
#3 on this list
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJFbUcTc1Ws
That's the one! it was in the Cup finals as well...That is the greatest hit of all time

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Zim

Not the best of all time but Tuomo Ruutu has crushed some people in his time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FpIRQQEsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snNB5waomh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxABAzOzdk

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Afinogretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
that 2nd one is ridiculous...wow

Afinogretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Zim

Oh and i was looking for Dustin Byfuglien's hit on Dallas Drake last year but i can't find it anywhere. If anyone has a video please post it.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
WashCapsfan4life8

OT but the worst hit was stevens on Kariya in 03 cup finals and also bertuzzi hit that got him suspended last season or the one before whichever one. best hit was ovechkin on gomez and i liked ovechkin on briere but it was illeagal, but i still like it

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:30 PM
bd007h*

Send a message via AIM to bd007h* Send a message via MSN to bd007h*
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
I was at that game. One of the most amusing things I've ever seen. Jumbotron's and t-shirt guns be damned, there was always alternative entertainment at the old Boston Garden.
Ref was McCreary...he missed a high stick that nearly carved out Glen Wesley's eye and that drunken vigilante wanted to have a chat with McCreary--or so he said at his arraignment the next Monday morning.

What year was this?

bd007h* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Vlasicfied*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Don't give me that BS man, Stevens had FOUR elbow penalties in his career, so I guess the refs are biased as well, huh?
It's pretty well known that refs were biased back then. Certain players wouldn't be called for certain penalties.

Vlasicfied* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Umberger getting pasted by Cambell

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasicfied View Post
It's pretty well known that refs were biased back then. Certain players wouldn't be called for certain penalties.
This is well known?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
You got anything to back that up? Because I never recall hearing that the refs looked the other way when certain players threw elbows. And when was "back then", because during the '90's and on I never remember him getting one of those elbow penalties during that period, never even seen him getting away with one.

01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
This is well known?
News to me too.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:37 PM
LVIsles*

Webb on Tucker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9O8GYQ54I

LVIsles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:13 PM
rmack27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87. View Post
Gotta love Scott Stevens.
i hate scott stevens. he blind sided people purely to hurt them. i got great pleasure when kariya came back from that hit and ripped one top shelf in the same game.

rmack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
homersimpson

Sopel applied directly to the forehead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glg34yTpeRo

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack27 View Post
i hate scott stevens. he blind sided people purely to hurt them. i got great pleasure when kariya came back from that hit and ripped one top shelf in the same game.
So when a defensive end blindsides a QB, is he purely trying to hurt the QB? Or maybe he's trying to change the outcome of a game/series by rattling the other team and distract them from their game by intimidation and force. Much like Stevens.

Also I have no idea how you could know what someone else is thinking.

Old
01-10-2007, 05:37 PM
BuddhaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Probably not the hardest hit, but definitely my personal favourite.

Fischer on Princess Sedin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KqlAL-uA9Y

I'd like to see you get up after that ...

"Princess" my *** ... they're 10 times tougher than most expect ...

BuddhaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:49 PM
woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by third_sedin View Post
Can't find Bertuzzi on Jackman or Salvador.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUSilrsBmM

there ya go.

woo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy44 View Post
I can't believe no one's mentioned Pat Quinn's hit on Bobby Orr yet. That was one of the greatest hits ever. Can anyone find a video on this?

Btw, I think Linden's hit is the best all-time. It might not be the hardest, but is sure does look awesome.
That one would be my choice of the best all-time hit.

I remember watching that hit and was amazed that Quinn was even penalized. It was one of the few times I saw Orr with his head down. If I recall correctly his D partner Don Awrey(?) gave Orr a pass in his skates and Orr looked down for second just as Quinn was pinching in along the boards.

Both players went flying and Orr was concussed. Here is a picture of the aftermath of the hit.
http://legendsofhockey.blogspot.com/...bobby-orr.html

The next season Orr and Quinn dropped the gloves to settle up and Orr beat on Quinn like a drum.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
Quote:
Originally Posted by woo View Post
if your gonna mention that bertuzzi hit you may as well toss in this brad stuart doozy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQ9bfyMS0I

Patrice37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Vlasicfied*

Quote:
You got anything to back that up? Because I never recall hearing that the refs looked the other way when certain players threw elbows. And when was "back then", because during the '90's and on I never remember him getting one of those elbow penalties during that period, never even seen him getting away with one.
I didn't say Stevens threw elbows, read my post. You said refs weren't biased. Players carried reputations and wouldn't be called for penalties they "never" commit. I said nothing about Stevens... you might want to read that again. You seem to be all uppity because your favorite team's player is being accused of something, calm down... it's not the end of the world if he isn't perfect in every aspect.

Old
01-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
I didn't say Stevens threw elbows, read my post. You said refs weren't biased. Players carried reputations and wouldn't be called for penalties they "never" commit. I said nothing about Stevens... you might want to read that again.
I'm still waiting for you to back this up, that refs use to ignore elbows because of a players reputation. What doesn't make sense about your opinion is why would they even do this?

Quote:
You seem to be all uppity because your favorite team's player is being accused of something, calm down... it's not the end of the world if he isn't perfect in every aspect.
I would think twice before ever lecturing me again on anything, espcially when you haven't brought anything to the table except your opinion, because until you do it's baseless.

Old
01-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Vlasicfied*

Quote:
I would think twice before ever lecturing me again on anything, espcially when you haven't brought anything to the table except your opinion, because until you do it's baseless.
Okay, you're right... Stevens was never called for roughing, kneeing, charging, or any violent penalty. I'm guessing the only ones he committed were hooking penalties?

You do know that leading with an arm/elbow, leaving the feet, etc can be charged with something OTHER than elbowing? You might want to check out the NHL rule book.

Old
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
88Bottles

Off-topic, but I thought I'd like to comment on Stevens....Scott Stevens was a dirty player who got away with things because he won Stanley Cups....if you look at the players he "KNOCKED OUT!" they were usually the best players on the other teams at the time: Lindros, Langkow, Kariya, Willis, Francis, etc...

It sickens me that the league and the media sit there talking about head injuries and how to protect the players yet glorifying Scott Stevens and disregarding the careers he has either nearly ended or seriously altered...Shane Willis was one of the up and coming good young players and he was never the same after that hit...neither was Langkow and we all know how Lindros turned out and then Kariya had nothing to offer on the Av's, a team stocked with talent at the time.

Back to the topic, there have so many hits, but maybe not the best, but my favorite was Boris Mironov with Edmonton on Dave Gagner with the Leafs...Mironov sent him flying and the replays were spectacular.

88Bottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
feerlessleadr

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown88 View Post
if you look at the players he "KNOCKED OUT!" they were usually the best players on the other teams at the time: Lindros, Langkow, Kariya, Willis, Francis, etc...
and why is that a bad thing? if the best player on the other team came over the blueline with his head down he would get crunched, cleanly. Stevens never led with his elbow and to say that he did is completely assanine.

feerlessleadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:17 PM
88Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerlessleadr View Post
and why is that a bad thing? if the best player on the other team came over the blueline with his head down he would get crunched, cleanly. Stevens never led with his elbow and to say that he did is completely assanine.
First off, I never said that anything about elbows, intent to injure is intent to injure, and that is the point you just made for me...Stevens sees a guy coming over the blue line and he wants to hurt him...yeah....tha'ts not a bad thing *shrug*. Sports is competitive, but there is a thing called sportsmanship...the image of pro sports is going downward every year because of dirty plays, acts of stupidity and off-the court/field/hockey personal matters.

It shouldn't be ok to hit someone because they are crossing the blue line with their head down, and you want to know why....it's because of the damage it may cause, whether permanent or not...that's how you protect players, by telling them to take away the puck or tie up the guy instead of trying to take him off his skates.

Last edited by 88Bottles: 01-10-2007 at 08:26 PM.
88Bottles is offline   Reply With Quote