HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Roberto Luongo is a very good goaltender...

Old
01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobakecookies View Post
I know I have watched more than 2 Canuck games...but since you have watched more games then me please tell me how Luongo's game saving and godly saves are different from any other goaltender's saves?
To be honest with you, I don't really know.

Rick DiPietro has a higher sv% than Luongo, so I guess he makes better saves though........

JonathanTwinkleToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
RandomRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post

I don't think people realize just how bad this Canucks team is. Without an elite goalie, the Canucks are fighting for a top five pick. This isn't entirely responsible for Luongo's drop in the stats sheet, but it has had an impact for sure. The truth of the matter is that Luongo has done in Vancouver what he could never seem to do in Florida - he has willed a fairly untalented team into a playoff spot. Still, there is half a season to go, and Luongo may yet be denied his first playoff game.
You have got to be KIDDING me!! Sure, this isn't the offensive powerhouse of a team (boasting the top line in the league) of years past, but by no means are they bad, nor even bottom 15. Have you WATCHED this team? They are a playoff team, through and through. How you can even begin to compare them to the panthers the past 5 years is beyond me. When this team gets into the playoffs (maybe 3rd, maybe 7th or 8th) they will NOT be a cinderella type team, ala edmonton last year, to anyone who actually knows something about the sport of hockey and has watched this team PLAY SOME ****ING HOCKEY this year. They out-work, out-hit, out-PK, out-puckpossession, and out-play other teams on a gamely basis, and now they are finally putting pucks in the net as well. I don't believe they lack scoring as badly as others, especially with all the right depth players and defenseman finally chipping in.

This may seem like a huge homer post, but I assure you that I would not post this if it weren't true. I am not a blind fan like many others and I do look at things objectively.

That being said, I agree that we wouldn't be the same team without Loungo. In fact, we would definitely be in the bottom 5 or 10 in the league, just like Calgary would be without Kiprusoff. This is exactly the reason that a team like calgary gets played up in the media before each season. Solid defense and kipper go a long way. Well, Luongo is more or less on par with kipper and so is our defense, with the signing of Mitchell, the addition by subtraction that was Jovonovski, and the emergence of a certain Kevin Bieksa. Now that Morrison is healthy again, and the depth players are finally getting it done, you have to give the Canucks offense the nod.

I'm not saying this team is in the top 5 in the league necessarily, I'm saying that they are a playoff team that has the right pieces and work ethic to go deep.

RandomRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobakecookies View Post
I know I have watched more than 2 Canuck games...but since you have watched more games then me please tell me how Luongo's game saving and godly saves are different from any other goaltender's saves?

3 VANCOUVER* 43 24 18 1 49

28 VAN 2.42

that's how.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Crows*

There was a periof of time in october and november when the canucks were playing horribly defensively... i remember a 6-3 loss to san jose where they gave up 3 breakaways and I think four 2 on 1's.

You take out that horrible dis play of defense and Luongos numbers are down to 2.3 GAA and 9.20 save percentage. IN the top 5 in the league.

As someone said before.. his GAA is 2.2 over the past 12 games and his save percentage is 9.25... he is starting to heat up and he is now finally comfertable in Vancouver.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:44 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
There was a periof of time in october and november when the canucks were playing horribly defensively... i remember a 6-3 loss to san jose where they gave up 3 breakaways and I think four 2 on 1's.

You take out that horrible dis play of defense and Luongos numbers are down to 2.3 GAA and 9.20 save percentage. IN the top 5 in the league.

As someone said before.. his GAA is 2.2 over the past 12 games and his save percentage is 9.25... he is starting to heat up and he is now finally comfertable in Vancouver.
that was the home opener.

Krajicek couldn't catch up to Grier on a breakaway

Old
01-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapopinski View Post
You have got to be KIDDING me!! Sure, this isn't the offensive powerhouse of a team (boasting the top line in the league) of years past, but by no means are they bad, nor even bottom 15. Have you WATCHED this team? They are a playoff team, through and through. How you can even begin to compare them to the panthers the past 5 years is beyond me. When this team gets into the playoffs (maybe 3rd, maybe 7th or 8th) they will NOT be a cinderella type team, ala edmonton last year, to anyone who actually knows something about the sport of hockey and has watched this team PLAY SOME ****ING HOCKEY this year. They out-work, out-hit, out-PK, out-puckpossession, and out-play other teams on a gamely basis, and now they are finally putting pucks in the net as well. I don't believe they lack scoring as badly as others, especially with all the right depth players and defenseman finally chipping in.

This may seem like a huge homer post, but I assure you that I would not post this if it weren't true. I am not a blind fan like many others and I do look at things objectively.

That being said, I agree that we wouldn't be where we are at without Loungo. This is exactly the reason that a team like calgary gets played up in the media before each season. Solid defense and kipper go a long way. Well, Luongo is more or less on par with kipper and so is our defense, with the signing of Mitchell, the addition by subtraction that was Jovonovski, and the emergence of a certain Kevin Bieksa. Now that Morrison is healthy again, and the depth players are finally getting it done, you have to give the Canucks offense the nod.

I'm not saying this team is in the top 5 in the league necessarily, I'm saying that they are a playoff team that has the right pieces and work ethic to go deep.
Well, I look at our lineup, and it strikes me that our top centerman is an assist machine who can't score goals. Our captain is underperforming and on pace for just under 60 points. Our best goal scoring threat is at 41st in the league (goals). And that's just our "top" line. Our second line consists of Morrison and whoever-the-hell. Are you telling me Cooke-Morrison-Pyatt is a second line? Or Jan Bulis? We're getting through games because of our defensive play, which along with our effort has been a great thing for us this year.

But if you look at, for instance, Florida, we've got about the same offense. A bit worse even. Then look at their D corps. Ours is better right? Well, we only have three D men above an even +/- and two of them are Edler and Fitzpatrick. Florida, however, actually does have 3 d men even or above. It's not everything, but for comparison's sake.

Only two teams have a worse GPG than us. Two teams fighting for a top 5 pick. We take a lot of shots but Florida and LA take more.

So yes, our offense is lousy, or defense is great. So imagine this team, minus Luongo. Terrible offense, middle of the pack or worse goalie, how would our defense look? I think, take Luongo out of the equation, and we go from being an anemic offensive team with great defensive play to an anemic offensive team with alright defensive play. Which to my mind leaves us somewhere at the bottom of the conference. Things may be turning around for the offense, I hope and think they are, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're hot right now.

Last edited by Forever27: 01-09-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:52 PM
YoungJagr

Luongo is not better than kiprusoff.
Luongo is not better than hasek.
Luongo is not better than turco.

Luongo should not be in the all-star game, if the all-star is really about who is deserving, as the rory haters claim.

YoungJagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Luongo didn't play wel against the Panthers and he's had some bad games and allowed some bad goals this season. I still think he's overrated, but he's been playing a lot better of late. It's good to see him playing better.

01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Guy becomes a Canuck and he's worse than satan...

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJagr View Post

Luongo should not be in the all-star game, if the all-star is really about who is deserving, as the rory haters claim.
Luongo is playing more and getting more wins than any of them. Currently he has won 7 straight and has his team sitting first in their division.

so either the canucks are better than the stats say or luongo is. Personally I am betting on the goalie being good.

Old
01-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Bardo Thodol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJagr View Post

Luongo has played better than Kiprusoff this year. I don't watch hasek and turco enough to know if Luongo has been better or worse than them. However, the all star votes would indicate Luongo is the better goalie. And I doubt you've watched enough Canucks games this year to justify your stupid homer opinions. Canucks are like 28th in Goals For and yet third in their conference, first in their division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Luongo didn't play wel against the Panthers and he's had some bad games and allowed some bad goals this season. I still think he's overrated, but he's been playing a lot better of late. It's good to see him playing better.
after the game Luongo said he felt tired because he's been playing all the games with no rest. admittedly, he looked bad against the panthers, but this was the first time Luongo complained about being tired and overworked, so I wouldn't base your impressions of him just from that one game. After all, he is the NHL's first star this week.

Bardo Thodol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Red

Luongo had a good start to the season, but the last month and a half he has been absolutely amazing, stealing games left and right and keeping this team in games it didn't belong it. It's not true to say that he has no support in Vancouver, but I would say that although he faces few shots, he faces quite a few quality scoring chances in proportion to the number of shots.

Stats can't tell the whole story, but watching him the last month, he has been nothing short of incredible for this team, and that's even when he admits he's been fatigued and overplayed.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
The coaching staff insisted that he should get some rest, but he wanted to play against his former team.

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon44 View Post
The coaching staff insisted that he should get some rest, but he wanted to play against his former team.
source?

Old
01-09-2007, 11:05 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
When addressing a goalie's play? I think not.
Give me a goalie that wins games, during the fall, winter and spring and you can have all the pretty sv% numbers you want.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
source?
I don't have a source but that's what the Team 1040 in Vancouver's been saying. For what that's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Give me a goalie that wins games, during the fall, winter and spring and you can have all the pretty sv% numbers you want.
You're damn right. That's why Roy is the greatest.

Disclaimer: I am in no way comparing Luongo to Roy , Roy is one of the greatest goalies of all time and Luongo has nothing on him so don't even start...

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:06 PM
serge2k

Quote:
we'll get to see soon enough.

Old
01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo Thodol View Post
after the game Luongo said he felt tired because he's been playing all the games with no rest. admittedly, he looked bad against the panthers, but this was the first time Luongo complained about being tired and overworked, so I wouldn't base your impressions of him just from that one game. After all, he is the NHL's first star this week.
Notice I said this season. I've watched a lot of Vancouver games this season. I actually like the Canucks a lot and woud love to see Louie lead them to a Cup (much like I've said since he was traded), so I enjoy watching them, and him, play. I'm a definite critic of Louie, but I ultimately want to see him play well and earn the money given him.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Indeed. Plus I already posted his stats during the canucks last 10 wins and the pretty sv % is there too. So you have the nice combo of wins and pretty sv%.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:17 PM
YoungJagr

Quote:
However, the all star votes would indicate Luongo is the better goalie.
Yes... so by that logic rory is a better d-man than pronger or phaneuf right? And cheechoo and brierre must be better than iginla and jagr too...

Quote:
And I doubt you've watched enough Canucks games this year to justify your stupid homer opinions.
??? So even though im FROM vancouver, my not blindly supporting louie must be because of my homer bias? It cant be because ive watched almost every nucks game this season to see that the guy has been good, not great, and not top 3 in the west? And their decent record despite the gimped offence, that has to be all louie right, and not maybe vigneault's defensive system or the excellent play of the mitchell/bieksa pairing of late?

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 01-10-2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Offensive.
YoungJagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Le Golie

It's important to note that Luongo's critics are ALL fans with some type of agenda.

You'll never find ONE SINGLE player or coach in this league that says Luongo is an easy goalie to beat - on or off the record.

So while *fans* who have probably never played a competitive game of hockey in their lives can come up with theories and produce stats that cast a dim light on Luongo, everyone in the game fears facing him in a must win situation. He's a tough, tough guy to score on and the players know it. That's all that really matters.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutSoldOut View Post
Guy becomes a Canuck and he's worse than satan...
very, very true..

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
To be honest with you, I don't really know.

Rick DiPietro has a higher sv% than Luongo, so I guess he makes better saves though........
I assume this is a knock on Dipietro, and while this is off topic I find it important to note that nobody has any business knocking Dipietro this year. He's had a very good season by anyone's standards.

It's funny seeing people knock Dipietro all the time because it shows they have no clue what they are talking about. He's a top 10 goalie now, even though nobody notices what happens on Long Island.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon44 View Post
very, very true..
what's wrong with Satan? Decent Islanders forward.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:17 AM
FloydTheBarber

This is never going to end.

Every thread on Luongo is just a red light to label him the most over rated garbage in the league.

Kiprusoff helped his team to game seven of the finals and win the Vezina (great accomplishments, I know).

But it took him until he was 28 to be a starter. What the heck was he doing for all those years... oh yeah, we was warming the bench up for Nabokov and Toskala.

Luongo is 27, he has 40 more wins than Kiprusoff, the same career SV% (.919). He has played 187 more games than Kiprusoff, and was drafted 4th overall (bring on the Daigle and Stefan arguments if you must).

Yes his GAA is worse, and he has more losses. And yes he hasn't "carried" his team to the playoffs.

But why all the hate? Because of the contract? One GM thought he was worth it, sure some GM's make some bad decisions (Milbury comes to mind immediately) but obviously Nonis believed he was worth the contract.

Asked by the 30 GM's of the league before this season began, Luongo was voted as the third best goalie in the league (source: TSN).

The Hockey News Annual 50 best player rankings, ranked him the third best goalie in the league.

Luongo is now known as Team Canada's second man in net, being the backup to future HOFer Broduer, at the Olympics (sure start the that team sucked argument if you must also). I don't think any other Canadian goalie has had as much success behind Broduer since Borduer became Canada's man.

6.75 million is a lot, but look at what players were paid in this off-season. Gaborik got 6 million, he's never had more than 67 points. Chara got 7.5 (!) million, he's never won a Norris. Jovanovski got 6.25 million (WTH????!!!!), Kubina got 5 million, McCabe got 5.75 million, Redden got 6.5 million.

I could go on and on, but in this off-season were many players paid what you think they are worth (at the times of the signings)? Probably not, the MARKET HAS RISEN!

Will it go up next season? Maybe, if so watch out to whoever signs Giguere, or will it go down? Who knows.

General Managers, professional NHL analysts and editors, and NHL head coaches have regarded Luongo as one of the best goalies in the league. When Luongo was traded, did you see what Hartley said to Nonis? Did you hear Jay Feaster's comment on the trade (least to say, he was happy to see Luongo gone from the division).

I think their opinions hold more merit than a few HF posters opinions. People tend to think that the fans have "hyped" up or "praised" Luongo, but it was the aforementioned, who are some pretty darn credible sources!

Now ask yourself this.

Is Luongo worth 750,00 more than Gaborik, 500,000 more than Jovanovski, 750,000 less than Chara?

My answer is yes.

Last edited by FloydTheBarber: 01-10-2007 at 01:25 AM.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote