HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Roberto Luongo is a very good goaltender...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
haakon84

vCash: 500
1.5 million could buy the nucks some more goal support. Thats the difference between Luongo and Brodeur's salary.

haakon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon84 View Post
1.5 million could buy the nucks some more goal support. Thats the difference between Luongo and Brodeur's salary.
Not luongo's fault brodeur likes to fire his agent and negotiate contracts himself so he can lowball himself. But how much goal support does bettman being in lou's pocket to circumvent the cap buy?

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
So could every other team's defense.

The Canuck's defense has been great this year.
Exactly.

Seventh in the league for least shots allowed. I don't think even the most homeristic Canucks fan would have predicted that ranking.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Seventh in the league for least shots allowed. I don't think even the most homeristic Canucks fan would have predicted that ranking.
And that's even with Luongo giving himself an extra 15 shots per game because of his "awful rebound control."

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
haakon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Not luongo's fault brodeur likes to fire his agent and negotiate contracts himself so he can lowball himself. But how much goal support does bettman being in lou's pocket to circumvent the cap buy?
Lou does what he does, and Brodeur doesn't bite the hand that feeds him.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
And that's even with Luongo giving himself an extra 15 shots per game because of his "awful rebound control."
Well, exactly.

Old
01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
The Canucks need 3 goals a game to win on most nights. Their 24 million they spent on forwards should give them that many.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
AgentNaslund*

thx for your support DougWilson.

We all know that goalies tend to be more hot and warm when they face more shots per game.

Stats.

Luongo was never reconized for his stats. He never lead the leauge in those departments, but he still reconized for being one of the best.

The situation is the same when he arrived in Vancouver. He might not dominate the leauge in GAA or what ever, but hes one of the best.

Quote:

Brodeaur was willing to play for less in order for the Devils not to cap out. He is a 7 million dollar goalie on the open market easily.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
For a guy's who's never won anything , he sure as an awfully inflated Contract, especially since his numbers aren't top5
the only stat that really matters is his wins total. Currently second in the league.

Luongo's contract is, IMO, only because Nonis couldn't afford to lose him in a year to free agency.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
IcedTea

People like to ***** about Luongo's contract because he hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet. I think people are overrating playoff experience just a bit. I mean, look at Brad Richards. He had a great playoffs and got a huge contract to go with it, but that sure as hell isn't a good deal for Tampa.

IcedTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:07 PM
culee

Nonis wanted to sign his favourite goalie as soon as he could and didnt take long enough to negotiate his contract

He should've said: "we need you to sign cheaper to about 5.5 mill for 4 years so we can afford more skilled players to lead you to the stanley cup? ok? no? awwww..."

culee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by culee View Post
Nonis wanted to sign his favourite goalie as soon as he could and didnt take long enough to negotiate his contract

He should've said: "we need you to sign cheaper to about 5.5 mill for 4 years so we can afford more skilled players to lead you to the stanley cup? ok? no? awwww..."
And risk him not signing him, then losing him to free agency? Luongo is well worth what he is being paid. It's naslund and his 6 million contract that is killing the team with his play.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by culee View Post

And yet, other posters say that by lowballing his players, Nonis deserved to have one of his RFAs receive a contract offer, and that he should've simply given them what they wanted in order to protect himself from any potential third-party offer sheets.

So, which is it? Does he consistently give away too much, or is he a risk-taking lowballer?

Old
01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
And risk him not signing him, then losing him to free agency? Luongo is well worth what he is being paid. It's naslund and his 6 million contract that is killing the team with his play.
It shocks me that more people don't realize this. We have a $6 million forward on pace for under 60 points. Luongo's a bit overpaid, yeah, but his contract is by far and away not the worst on the team in terms of value. Naslund, Chouinard @ 1.1, Bulis at whatever.... if Nazzy was playing like a $6 million forward we'd be rolling in wins. The defensive side of the ice is working perfectly.

And what is Brodeur doing in this thread? Because he's a better goalie? He's the best in the league this year, I don't see how that's relevant unless you're debating contracts. But we're not, this entire post is about Luongo's stats. Not Brodeurs. Not Luongo vs Brodeur. If I could take any goalie in the league for this year, of course it would be Brodeur. But in the real world, Luongo is younger and he's winning games and getting better as the year goes on and Brodeur is not leaving New Jersey so it doesn't really matter. Unless NJ fans just want to rub in the fact that they have one of the best goalies in the world for a slightly cheaper price.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
It's important to note that Luongo's critics are ALL fans with some type of agenda.

You'll never find ONE SINGLE player or coach in this league that says Luongo is an easy goalie to beat - on or off the record.

So while *fans* who have probably never played a competitive game of hockey in their lives can come up with theories and produce stats that cast a dim light on Luongo, everyone in the game fears facing him in a must win situation. He's a tough, tough guy to score on and the players know it. That's all that really matters.
So, I guess you can't watch a player for 5 years and form an opinion on his playing style? I guess Luongo has absolutely no weaknesses at all whatsover and truly is the best goalie in the game today and totally deserves every pennny he got? Amazing how you can't have an opinion on this board.

OH, and figure it out, carrying on about having to have played the game at a competitive level to actually know what you're talking about, and blah, blah, blah is ridiculous. Hockey's the only sport who's fans are this cocky. Grow up!
I've never said Louie's trash, or a bad goalie, simply that he's overrated. I also have said that it's good to see him playing better of late and I'd like to see him do well in the playoffs with the Nucks and win the Cup. That people get so pissy whenever someone critiques a player and feels the stupid need to throw in that you absolutely have had to have played the game to have an opinion is beyond me.
Besides, there are enforcers in the game that half you self-professed hockey know-it-alls don't consider hockey players, yet they've played in the NHL, a feat none of you have managed to accomplish. I guess they're opinions don't count either.

Again, the "this poster has obviously never played the game" posts just makes you look childish, especially considering you probably haven't played since you wer 6.

01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
haakon84

Well when you are one of the highest paid players in your position, you' think he'd put up better stats. And if someone can come into a Brodeur thread and bring up Luongo everytime I have my right to act like an HF child and do the same.

Old
01-10-2007, 05:37 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Well when you are one of the highest paid players in your position, you' think he'd put up better stats. And if someone can come into a Brodeur thread and bring up Luongo everytime I have my right to act like an HF child and do the same.
That doesn't make sense. I'll be with you every step of the way to defend Brodeur, but there is no point in bringing yourself down to their level when they (unfairly)criticize him.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
haakon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
That doesn't make sense. I'll be with you every step of the way to defend Brodeur, but there is no point in bringing yourself down to their level when they (unfairly)criticize him.
Yeah it was a jab at Luongo that I shouldn't have thrown. I wasn't entirely serious, as you can see in the thread earlier that I respect his play and he is still winning games for the Canucks.

I guess people were expecting another .930 save % but thats hard to come by. I don't think he's overpaid when you compare him to goalies getting similar salaries, such as Khabibulin, Turco, etc. But I do think all that happened in Florida brought all this hype which overrated him in the first place. He was expected to be THE BEST in the game but right now he's just one of the best. And if I were the Canucks I'd be more than happy with that.

Old
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I'll be with you every step of the way to defend Brodeur, but there is no point in bringing yourself down to their level when they (unfairly)criticize him.
Agreed. Brodeur is one of my favourite players in the league. Imagine how great this board would be without the recrimination. Even so this is still better than about 95% of forums I've visited.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Zelepukin Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
the only stat that really matters is his wins total. Currently second in the league.
And losses. Currently tied for second in the league.

Zelepukin Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelepukin Lives View Post
Only one more than Brodeur with OT losses.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
So, I guess you can't watch a player for 5 years and form an opinion on his playing style? I guess Luongo has absolutely no weaknesses at all whatsover and truly is the best goalie in the game today and totally deserves every pennny he got? Amazing how you can't have an opinion on this board.

OH, and figure it out, carrying on about having to have played the game at a competitive level to actually know what you're talking about, and blah, blah, blah is ridiculous. Hockey's the only sport who's fans are this cocky. Grow up!
I've never said Louie's trash, or a bad goalie, simply that he's overrated. I also have said that it's good to see him playing better of late and I'd like to see him do well in the playoffs with the Nucks and win the Cup. That people get so pissy whenever someone critiques a player and feels the stupid need to throw in that you absolutely have had to have played the game to have an opinion is beyond me.
Besides, there are enforcers in the game that half you self-professed hockey know-it-alls don't consider hockey players, yet they've played in the NHL, a feat none of you have managed to accomplish. I guess they're opinions don't count either.

Again, the "this poster has obviously never played the game" posts just makes you look childish, especially considering you probably haven't played since you wer 6.
You just got mad and went off on a rant. Your response is so 'off the wall' I don't even know if you quoted the right post. I didn't quote you, and I wasn't talking to you. I didn't say anything about his contract. I didn't say anything about his weaknesses. I didn't say anything about you not being entitled to an opinion.

All I said is that the opinions of *fans* with agendas are generally worthless to me. Have at it. Love your own opinion. Shout it from the mountain tops. Just don't expect it to be taken seriously because people will take the word of players and coaches before some fan with an agenda.

You can look at his stats and make them say all you want them to say, but you calling him overrated isn't worth two cents because the guy is rated VERY highly by the players who try putting pucks past him every night. Like I said, you'll never hear a player saying that Luongo is overrated. Only *fans* who don't understand what it's like to try scoring on a great goalie in a competitive hockey game.

That's all I said, and I stand by it 100 per cent. It doesn't bother me that it upsets you so much and that you think it's cocky.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
You just got mad and went off on a rant. Your response is so 'off the wall' I don't even know if you quoted the right post. I didn't quote you, and I wasn't talking to you. I didn't say anything about his contract. I didn't say anything about his weaknesses. I didn't say anything about you not being entitled to an opinion.

All I said is that the opinions of *fans* with agendas are generally worthless to me. Have at it. Love your own opinion. Shout it from the mountain tops. Just don't expect it to be taken seriously because people will take the word of players and coaches before some fan with an agenda.

You can look at his stats and make them say all you want them to say, but you calling him overrated isn't worth two cents because the guy is rated VERY highly by the players who try putting pucks past him every night. Like I said, you'll never hear a player saying that Luongo is overrated. Only *fans* who don't understand what it's like to try scoring on a great goalie in a competitive hockey game.

That's all I said, and I stand by it 100 per cent. It doesn't bother me that it upsets you so much and that you think it's cocky.
And I stand by my post 100%. I also don't give a rip what you think or say, as was stated in my post. So, what now?

Aren't stats...stats? Don't stats tell the truth? When you watch him can't you see how bad his rebound control is? He still lets in weak goals from the point, still falls asleep in net, etc.

So, fact is, you apparently got mad and ranted, and I responded.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:49 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelepukin Lives View Post
he's played in the most games and has the second highest TOI. That leads to a lot of losses, also leads to a lot of wins.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 2413
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Only one more than Brodeur with OT losses.
I like that stat

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote