HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Playoff Hopes..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
  #1
two out of three*
 
two out of three*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Playoff Hopes..

No, not "Faith in Eight." I just wanted to get thoughts on.. If the Kings can get solid goaltending like they've gotten in the last 3 games.. Do you think the Kings can find themselves in the eighth spot?

I do, but we gotta get consistent netminding which we haven't had.. And on top of that we need teams to lose, and we gotta win.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
  #2
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,300
vCash: 500
You mean "Faith in Thirty-Eight," don't you?

Just solid goaltending won't be enough. The teams ahead of the Kings, especially those currently in the 8 playoff spots are going to get solid goaltending, too, so the Kings wouldn't gain much ground, if any. What the Kings need is solid goaltending, solid defense and solid scoring. They rarely get 2 out of those 3 each night, much less all of them. They probably aren't going to get enough of each of those, and being sellers rather than buyers will only hurt things more.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:06 PM
  #3
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,335
vCash: 500
Not with the Coyotes playing like their ***** are on fire.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
  #4
absolutic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
no it would be a miracle for Kings to reach 8th this years, the chances are like 1:100 they won't be able to do it. In fact, I would be surprised if Kings clear 70 points this year.

absolutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
  #5
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us View Post
No, not "Faith in Eight." I just wanted to get thoughts on.. If the Kings can get solid goaltending like they've gotten in the last 3 games.. Do you think the Kings can find themselves in the eighth spot?

I do, but we gotta get consistent netminding which we haven't had.. And on top of that we need teams to lose, and we gotta win.
You expect to make up 7 points over 6 teams over 38 games and that play each other about a thousand times - all of which have multiple games in hand?

You'll have better odds with the California lottery....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
  #6
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Very slim...I think the parity in the West this year is remarkable. The short distance between the 7-15 spot is almost unbelievable.

However, the Kings have a helluva lot of teams to climb over. They're 7 points out going into tonight and I haven't seen the consistency necessary for them to rise above the pack. On certain occasions, they've shown playoff chops, but they haven't managed to string any of those kinds of efforts together. As such, I think they'll come up short.

I hope they surprise me.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:22 PM
  #7
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Well I have said it before....but here are the "updated" numbers. The 8th place team will need about 93 points to secure a playoff spot. The Kings need to get 55 points in their remaining 38 games to achieve that.

This would be a record of 27-10-1 for the remainder of the season. I honestly cannot see the Kings losing less than 11 games in the next 3 months.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
  #8
Kingswin
 
Kingswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Not going to happen this year..

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:48 PM
  #9
CowMix
Go Kings Go!
 
CowMix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tustin, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
I think Garon could play like Roy for the remainder of the season and we still wouldn't make the playoffs.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:30 PM
  #10
HeadInjury
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
They are more like 12 points out when you consider the games in hand. The problem is they have to leap over five teams to get in. It's just not possible. One or two of the teams ahead of them will get hot. It's inevitable.

Plus nothing suggest we are capable of anything much over .500 hockey from this point out anyway.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
  #11
TONGA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TONGA Send a message via Yahoo to TONGA
I hope to watch the playoff's on a 42" big screen with unlimited cold beer.

Alas the Kings will not be part of it.

TONGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:54 PM
  #12
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONGA View Post
I hope to watch the playoff's on a 42" big screen with unlimited cold beer.
Pfft! You need the just-announced Sharp 108" LCD. Unfortunately, it's so big that you'd have to build a new house around it, but that's not a detail that would deter a real diehard hockey fan.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:55 PM
  #13
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Pfft! You need the just-announced Sharp 108" LCD. Unfortunately, it's so big that you'd have to build a new house around it, but that's not a detail that would deter a real diehard hockey fan.
Man I have to get me one of those. Are the players "actual size" on the screen?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 11:58 PM
  #14
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
They are more like 12 points out when you consider the games in hand. The problem is they have to leap over five teams to get in. It's just not possible. One or two of the teams ahead of them will get hot. It's inevitable.

Plus nothing suggest we are capable of anything much over .500 hockey from this point out anyway.
You could consider the games in hand...but, when you consider the parity between the teams in the running (which, conceivably, includes just about everyone), especially those in the Northwest, there's a good chance that the points accrued by virtue of the games in hand will be significantly less for all the teams involved in the race-conference rivals are splitting their season series' fairly regulary; in fact, that's how this whole scenario developed.

But, I'm still not really making a case for the Kings getting a playoff spot.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
  #15
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Pfft! You need the just-announced Sharp 108" LCD. Unfortunately, it's so big that you'd have to build a new house around it, but that's not a detail that would deter a real diehard hockey fan.
Sharp? Are they still in business?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:07 AM
  #16
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Man I have to get me one of those. Are the players "actual size" on the screen?
Well, such a screen would be a little over 4 feet tall, so no... but it really comes down to how the camera is oriented. For most interviews (where the legs are cut off), I imagine that the players would be actual size or even larger than it. EDIT: Here's a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Sharp? Are they still in business?
They've been the leader in LCD technology for quite some time, so yeah


Last edited by Osprey: 01-10-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:07 AM
  #17
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
You could consider the games in hand...but, when you consider the parity between the teams in the running (which, conceivably, includes just about everyone), especially those in the Northwest, there's a good chance that the points accrued by virtue of the games in hand will be significantly less for all the teams involved in the race-conference rivals are splitting their season series' fairly regulary; in fact, that's how this whole scenario developed.

But, I'm still not really making a case for the Kings getting a playoff spot.
Well tonight 3 out of the 5 games in the Western Conference went to OT (meaning 3 points were awarded). If that is any indication as to how the rest of this season will play out it will be virtually impossible for the Kings to move up. Especially when the "losing" teams are still acquiring points.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
  #18
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Well tonight 3 out of the 5 games in the Western Conference went to OT (meaning 3 points were awarded). If that is any indication as to how the rest of this season will play out it will be virtually impossible for the Kings to move up. Especially when the "losing" teams are still acquiring points.
Indeed...let's assume that won't happen too often....just for fun.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:10 AM
  #19
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Well, such a screen would be a little over 4 feet tall, so no... but it really comes down to how the camera is oriented. For most interviews (where the legs are cut off), I imagine that the players would be actual size or even larger than it.They're the leader in LCD technology, so yeah
Maybe they should spend more time advertising, then.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:16 AM
  #20
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Maybe they should spend more time advertising, then.
They mostly make the screens that other manufacturers use in their products. You know Thinkpad notebooks? Sharp brand screens. That's one example.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:20 AM
  #21
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
They mostly make the screens that other manufacturers use in their products. You know Thinkpad notebooks? Sharp brand screens. That's one example.
Sharp is taking over the world.....one TV/Computer screen at a time.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:22 AM
  #22
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
They mostly make the screens that other manufacturers use in their products. You know Thinkpad notebooks? Sharp brand screens. That's one example.
Kind of like Sega switched from game systems to software development?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
  #23
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Maybe I'm in the minority, but why would anyone want the Kings to make the 8th spot simply to get killed in the first round of the playoffs and end up with the 16th pick of the draft (again)?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:35 AM
  #24
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but why would anyone want the Kings to make the 8th spot simply to get killed in the first round of the playoffs and end up with the 16th pick of the draft (again)?
Well, really, if the Kings were to make the 8th spot, they'd be going in red hot because of the enormous winning tear they would have to go on from now until the end of the season. So, while it's still likely they'd get beaten, it would be entertaining.

And I would like to see them make the playoffs because I enjoy playoff hockey...even moreso when the Kings are involved.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
  #25
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Well, really, if the Kings were to make the 8th spot, they'd be going in red hot because of the enormous winning tear they would have to go on from now until the end of the season. So, while it's still likely they'd get beaten, it would be entertaining.

And I would like to see them make the playoffs because I enjoy playoff hockey...even moreso when the Kings are involved.
I see what you're saying. I guess the chances of them getting the #1 overall pick are much higher than their chances of making the playoffs.

We've already gone through enough crap already this season... I would like to see them get that top draft pick out of this mess rather than make a feeble effort to get into the playoffs. That effort might have worked a month ago, but it's too late now.

Cut your losses, suck it up, call it a day, mail it in, and get the #1 pick.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.