HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Cloutier...gone for longer than we thought?

Old
01-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsider View Post
They had Huet
Thanks for reminding us.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsider View Post
They had Huet
That could speak to just how hostile a goalie environment exists in LA ( a situation that's been touched upon by others, as well).

I'll admit that I've been skeptical that Huet can maintain his good play over a long period of time-he's always been known as a goalie that, because of his competitiveness and international play experience can step it up at crunch time. But he's gradually proving me wrong in Montreal as he continues to hold down the net well.

However, when he was in L.A., while he was a solid back-up and took the reigns from Cechmanek (not that difficult at the time), no one here ever saw him as #1 material.

When he moved to a better situation, his play began to improve.

As has been mentioned before, if such a situation arises for Garon...either through improvements in LA or moving to another team, I think it's likely his play could improve, as well.

Beyond that, you can even look at Cechmanek and Cloutier as examples of such a hostile environment. They were both players that were criticized by their previous fanbases, but turned in drastically worse performances, the worst of their careers, when they got to LA.

I think this situation is on its way to improvement under the new regime, but the past few seasons the the ice at Staples Center (which often began fine at the start of the season) developed into a goalie grinding machine.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 01-11-2007 at 06:13 PM.
kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
That could speak to just how hostile a goalie environment exists in LA.

I'll admit that I've been skeptical that Huet can maintain his good play over a long period of time-he's always been known as a goalie that, because of his competitiveness and international play experience can step it up at crunch time. But he's gradually proving me wrong in Montreal as he continues to hold down the net well.

However, when he was in L.A., while he was a solid back-up and took the reigns from Cechmanek (not that difficult at the time), no one here ever saw him as #1 material.

As has been mentioned before, if such a situation arises for Garon...either through improvements in LA or moving to another team, I think it's likely his play could improve, as well.

Beyond that, you can even look at Cechmanek and Cloutier as examples of such a hostile environment. They were both players that were criticized by their previous fanbases, but turned in drastically worse performances, the worst of their careers, when they got to LA.

I think this situation is on its way to improvement under the new regime, but the past few seasons the the ice at Staples Center (which often began fine at the start of the season) developed into a goalie grinding machine.
I think the Kings have ruined the careers of more goalies than any other team.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:02 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I called this. I so ****ing called this!

The day he went out on "Lower body soreness" I knew it was big(or oral gone bad ). Now we're gonna have an injured monkey on the payroll for the next two seasons. An injured Cloutier is even less valuable than a Cloutier that just sucks.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:04 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
That could speak to just how hostile a goalie environment exists in LA ( a situation that's been touched upon by others, as well).

Cechmanek was such a terrible deal though altogether. We all knew he was a choker and we got him anyway.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:10 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I called this. I so ****ing called this!

The day he went out on "Lower body soreness" I knew it was big(or oral gone bad ). Now we're gonna have an injured monkey on the payroll for the next two seasons. An injured Cloutier is even less valuable than a Cloutier that just sucks.

If that's the case, the Kings can apply for long term injury compensation...

Old
01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Cechmanek was such a terrible deal though altogether. We all knew he was a choker and we got him anyway.
He wasn't that terrible in Philly...back when the Flyers D was still excellent.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
If that's the case, the Kings can apply for long term injury compensation...
Really? I have to admit I'm not too keen on the financial aspect of the game. How exactly does the long term injury compensation work in this case?

Old
01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
He wasn't that terrible in Philly...back when the Flyers D was still excellent.
That was the kicker. Check was known as a great seasonal goal tender, but once the playoffs came to town, he just had a bad stigma for not rising to the occasion.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Really? I have to admit I'm not too keen on the financial aspect of the game. How exactly does the long term injury compensation work in this case?
As I understand it, if you can prove that your player isn't capable of playing on your roster for an extensive period of time, you are awarded his cap hit in additional cap room.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
As I understand it, if you can prove that your player isn't capable of playing on your roster for an extensive period of time, you are awarded his cap hit in additional cap room.
That's pretty tight. I like it. Not the fact that the player would be injured for an extended period of time, but it is nice that we wouldn't have to suffer a cap hit if we get it.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:22 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
An injured Cloutier is even less valuable than a Cloutier that just sucks.
When life serves up lemons, you make lemonade.

Having Cloutier out means you have the opportunity to have someone worthwhile in net. Having Cloutier out long term means insurance will pay him. Are we stuck with him? Yeah, but there is a positive side to this, so go with it.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
King Blazer

Just announced during the game, Cloutier is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow in Colorado to repair a torn labrum in his hip...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:54 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Just announced during the game, Cloutier is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow in Colorado to repair a torn labrum in his hip...
So, next season at the earliest.

Old
01-11-2007, 10:02 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Bummer, why do they seem to be in a hurry to get him back on the ice

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Osprey

Quote:
So, next season at the earliest.
Yeah. When Thibault had hip surgery early in the 03-04 season, it took him 4 months to get back into the lineup. Only 3 months remain in this season.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:19 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
When life serves up lemons, you make lemonade.

Having Cloutier out means you have the opportunity to have someone worthwhile in net. Having Cloutier out long term means insurance will pay him. Are we stuck with him? Yeah, but there is a positive side to this, so go with it.
What I mean is that with him injured and out for the rest of the season, if we wanted to try to dump him to another team, it wouldn't happen, more so now because he's injured.

Old
01-11-2007, 10:48 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
What I mean is that with him injured and out for the rest of the season, if we wanted to try to dump him to another team, it wouldn't happen, more so now because he's injured.
Do you really think another team would have traded for him even if he had been able to come back next week?

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Osprey

Quote:
We may've wanted that, but I can guarantee that it never crossed Lombardi's mind. I'm sure that he's always had hope that Cloutier would get things together for the start of next season, and this surgery doesn't really change that.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
We may've wanted that, but I can guarantee that it never crossed Lombardi's mind. I'm sure that he's always had hope that Cloutier would get things together for the start of next season, and this surgery doesn't really change that.
Of course it's pure speculation on my part. I understand his hope that Cloutier would've gotten things together by the end of this season before he got injured, but now he's gotta go through the rehabilitation again, the conditioning again, and in all likelihood have another rocky start to a season.

That's where I don't understand how Dean Lombardi isn't wringing his hands and wondering what to do about it. Cloutier playing bad can be talked away. Cloutier being injury prone is something no inspirational words is going to hide.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Do you really think another team would have traded for him even if he had been able to come back next week?
Perhaps. As a starter? No. Maybe as a back up, bring a veteran into play, know what I mean? He has his uses. Now that he's injured, even that kind of prospect is gone.

It's like... we would've had a 3% chance of dumping him on someone else...
Now we have 0%.

This of course all assuming we were going to trade him.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Perhaps. As a starter? No. Maybe as a back up, bring a veteran into play, know what I mean? He has his uses. Now that he's injured, even that kind of prospect is gone.

It's like... we would've had a 3% chance of dumping him on someone else...
Now we have 0%.

This of course all assuming we were going to trade him.
With a $3.1 million salary nobody was going to take Cloutier as a back-up goalie.

It was a 0% chance before the injury and a 0% chance after.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Venom_17

To be completely honest, I still think Garon is a "better" goalie than Huet. Huet is GOOD, but I think Garon has the ability to be the one of the better goalies in the league.

Right now Huet is obviously the better one, but when all is said and done, who knows. If Garon leaves LA, he very well could be the breakout goaltender of the year.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:43 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
With a $3.1 million salary nobody was going to take Cloutier as a back-up goalie.

It was a 0% chance before the injury and a 0% chance after.
Stop ruining my arguments.

Old
01-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Stop ruining my arguments.
Sorry.