HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Cloutier...gone for longer than we thought?

Old
01-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Dan Cloutier can't be away from ANY hockey club "long enough".
I'd rather have a sieve in net.

A hockey puck can't get through a sieve.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:42 AM
CaptCrunch

What you need, IMO, is a full time, competent goalie coach.

I used to believe Garon had a lot more upside than Theodore (our starter back then). I still believe he has it in him to become a very good starter. He's calm, composed and humble.

Huet was literaly a throw in. I don't even think Gainey saw him play. We actually forgot to present him at the start of 2005-2006 season. Our main target has always been Bonk.

But we have a very good full time goalie coach in montreal who constantly follows Huet's game (Roland Melanson). He even works with our AHL guys and prospect goalies. The result are tremendous: Price won gold at the juniors, Danis was named on AHL's all-star team in 2005-2006 and Halak is on this season's AHL all-star team. His summer camp is attended by goalies like Luongo, Belfour and Brodeur. He started helping a 15 year old goalie back in the days... you might know him: his name is Marc-André Fleury.

Everywhere you see good goalies you hear about an incredible goalie coach. Roy was trained by François Allaire early on. François went on to help a guy named Giguere in Anaheim.

Another guy, named David Marcoux, started working with Kiprusoff when the goalie arrived with the flames. He still is the Flame's goalie coach. Did it turn out good enough?

Obviously, the goalie coach is not the end all and be all of goaltending. He can only do so much. Sometimes the talent is just not there. Other times the goalie stops listening (Big ego like Jose Theodore....)

However, Garon is composed enough to listen to to sound advice and he clearly has a good foundation. He looked great under the habs with Melanson. What kind of goalie would he become if you guys had the services of a Roland Melanson, Francois Allaire or David Marcoux?

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
What you need, IMO, is a full time, competent goalie coach.
The new management did address this need when they brought in Bill Ranford last Summer. I think that the benefits of that hiring will become more apparent as he's had more time in the organization.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote