HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The TRUTH behind the "Luongo Trade"...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Canucks19*

vCash: 500
The TRUTH behind the "Luongo Trade"...

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f-b2cd29a10b5f

This came out a few days back in the newspaper.... here in Vancouver... Luongo had accepted a deal by Jacques Martin and the Florida Panthers owner that was made behind keenans back.... but hours later, keenan trades Luongo.... Luongo might have never been a canuck.... then a little while after, keenan quit... If this would have had to happen in a hockey city such as Vancouver or Calgary or Toronto or Detroit, (trading Luongo)...that a deal was made with the coach and owner going behind the GM's back... it would have had a lot more publicity

Quote:
Luongo said the Panthers owner and Jacques Martin were negotiating with him without involving then-GM Mike Keenan.

"They were trying to have meetings with me individually behind Mike's back," Luongo said. "They were trying to get me involved directly, while I let my agent handle all that stuff. I didn't deal with Mike personally the whole time, but they were calling my wife, calling for meetings with me through the back door. It was a weird situation from beginning to end."

They made Luongo a deal he accepted.

"Jacques told me it was there and he gave me an ultimatum.

"If I didn't accept the deal, it was over. But I took the deal.

"It was, like I said, they never called back."

No one called back because Keenan had already struck a deal with Dave Nonis and the Vancouver Canucks.

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
WashCapsfan4life8

Dont know what to say about this one....

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashCapsfan4life8 View Post
Dont know what to say about this one....
Yeh... same here... wanted to get thoughts from fans around the league about this...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:10 PM
The n00b King *

any idea what team they wanted to send him off to?

or am i misreading this and in fact, they just wanted to get Luongo on the table out there to see what was available?

if so, some owners were probably perplexed, having heard that he was traded and then back on the block...

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
any idea what team they wanted to send him off to?

or am i misreading this and in fact, they just wanted to get Luongo on the table out there to see what was available?

if so, some owners were probably perplexed, having heard that he was traded and then back on the block...
No, your reading it wrong, Luongo accepted a deal by the panthers.... hours later... keenan traded him.... but the dela that luongo accepted was unofficial and done behind keenans back with the coach and owner.... this was apperenlty their last offer for Luongo... and he accpeted it.... This also is more evidence that Keenan and Martin were not on good terms while they were in Florida...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Kinda like with the kesler situation... agrees to a contract but hasn't signed anything yet... hours later, Philly throws him 1.9.

You win some, you lose some...

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
Kinda like with the kesler situation... agrees to a contract but hasn't signed anything yet... hours later, Philly throws him 1.9.

You win some, you lose some...
"kinda..." but the coach and owner didnt go behind a GM's back to sign a player.... the only way it is official is if he signs the contract which kesler didnt and was entitled to sign phillys contract.... I just find it amazing that Luongo would have probably still been a panther if it wasn't for Keenan and the mis communication between him and the Coach and Owner.... what i don't get is why the owner would have to go behind teh GM's back to make a move... he OWNS!!! the team....If he tells keenan to sign Luongo, i think keenan has to sign Luongo! if i was the owner i would be pretty mad.... i think they must have forced him to resign after the trade, that way if he got fired... there would have been alot more speculation... so they avoided that...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Slink

Do you think Keenan found out about this treason, which is why he traded Luongo for way, way, way under market value?

Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Rover*

Keenan and Luongo didnt' have a relationship at all according to luongo. There was that plane incident luongo alluded to, but didn't elaborate on. However, sources say Luongo was at the back of the plane talking to other players about contracts and stuff, then Keenan comes back and then starts ripping into luongo, asking him why he hasn't signed yet and throwing f-bombs everywhere. Think Keenan tirade against linden, back in the canucks days.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
19nazzy

The 'truth' is that Vancouver made an awesome deal by trading away the team cancer, an average goalie and an average defenseman for an average defenseman and an elite goalie.

01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slink View Post
Do you think Keenan found out about this treason, which is why he traded Luongo for way, way, way under market value?
Bertuzzi was on pace to having a great year until his back gave out, so it looks more lopsided than it really was.

Old
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
It is very hard to know if that is the truth. So many "truths" have already been said. It is hard to know who to believe, neither Luongo, Keenan or Martin have IMO come out of this looking very good. Luongo apparently decided not to sign when the offer he wanted was put on the table. Of course that may not be true.

No one knows what really happened, so it is all just speculation.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Slink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Bertuzzi was on pace to having a great year until his back gave out, so it looks more lopsided than it really was.
Yeah but isn't Bertuzzi an UFA anyways at the end of this year?

Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nzzy View Post
The 'truth' is that Vancouver made an awesome deal by trading away the team cancer, an average goalie and an average defenseman for an average defenseman and an elite goalie.
Yes Bertuzzi was the reason we finished in 9th spot.... which is jsut a bunch of crap that was hyped up by the media... and fans like you who just beleive it... if you were in the locker room... then by all means you have the right to say he was a cancer... i think the main reason we lost that year was because Auld is not a number on goalie, he never stole one game for us.... and the canucks were the only team in the league last year without a shutout.... Maybe Auld was the cancer on the Ice.... All i know is you are a fan that just pointed the finger at bertuzzi right away.... Obviously he was going through a tough time... but do u actually think other players on the team were affected by that the whole time during the game thinking about what bertuzzi did to moore... please! i dont think Ohlund or Auld were thinking about Bertuzzi sucker-punching moore during a game or intermission.... and thats why the canucks lost.... I just can't stand it when people call bertuzzi a cancer... when there was so many other things wrong with the canucks last year...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slink View Post
Yeah but isn't Bertuzzi an UFA anyways at the end of this year?
Yup, which makes me think that Florida will do whatever they can to re-sign bert because otherwise the deal was Allen and Auld for Luongo, Krajicek and a 6th rounder...

Old
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Rover*

Yeah bert wasn't the reason we missed the playoffs. We missed cause auld was an average goalie and we lost jovanovski and salo for like 1/4 of the season or more. Kind of tough when you lose 2 of your top 3 defensemen for that long of a time and we still only missed the playoffs by a few points and had a chance in the end, but failed with the destiny in our hands. Auld completely melted down in the anaheim and san jose games down the stretch.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
AgentNaslund*

funny how it was Martin and Keenan not on good terms. Keenan only got the job because Martin will only accept his coaching job if Keenan is the GM. oh well.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
funny how it was Martin and Keenan not on good terms. Keenan only got the job because Martin will only accept his coaching job if Keenan is the GM. oh well.
Maybe they realized their differences after....

Old
01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Human Megaphone

I have a hard time imagining Martin doing anything sneaky. It makes me giggle a little bit.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

In a similar scenario of much lesser talent,Mike O'Connell (ex B's GM) who was already inches from death over the Thornton deal was reportedly about to resign and extend Hal Gill but the ax fell before it could happen.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
IcedTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Bertuzzi was on pace for 11/12 goals and 70 assists.

IcedTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post
Bertuzzi was on pace for 11/12 goals and 70 assists.
...and 143 scowls and 67 glares...

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
DaveMatthew

That offer of Martin Havlat, Chris Phillips and Ray Emery (possible a 1st rounder as well) looks pretty nice right now eh?

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
if you were in the locker room...
I wasn't. Steve McCarthy was and said so.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nzzy View Post
*Nods*

Trade of the summer.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote