HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The TRUTH behind the "Luongo Trade"...

Old
01-10-2007, 03:07 PM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87. View Post
*Nods*

Gift of the summer.
Fixed. Nonis almost made Gretzky cry, though. The Coyotes were bidding on Bertuzzi at the time.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Dont owners agree on the trades that the GM makes? Or atleast get a notice of it?

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
Dont owners agree on the trades that the GM makes? Or atleast get a notice of it?
That depends on if you believe what Luongo says. Most of the time the owner has to give a seal of approval on trades but who knows anymore. Luongo's in Vancouver where he will be mired in somewhat better mediocrity than in Florida and it's probably for the best.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Pfft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
Yes Bertuzzi was the reason we finished in 9th spot.... which is jsut a bunch of crap that was hyped up by the media... and fans like you who just beleive it... if you were in the locker room... then by all means you have the right to say he was a cancer... i think the main reason we lost that year was because Auld is not a number on goalie, he never stole one game for us.... and the canucks were the only team in the league last year without a shutout.... Maybe Auld was the cancer on the Ice.... All i know is you are a fan that just pointed the finger at bertuzzi right away.... Obviously he was going through a tough time... but do u actually think other players on the team were affected by that the whole time during the game thinking about what bertuzzi did to moore... please! i dont think Ohlund or Auld were thinking about Bertuzzi sucker-punching moore during a game or intermission.... and thats why the canucks lost.... I just can't stand it when people call bertuzzi a cancer... when there was so many other things wrong with the canucks last year...
I'm sure the locker room was fine and dandy seeing as Bertuzzi felt that "we just went into a style I wasn't going to play."

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...a84a75&k=36588

Pfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
"Good luck getting him to sign a long term deal after this year with that scum Looooopien calling the shots!"

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Muscle Bob

I've read that article and didn't get anything.. Could somebody describe situation in several words ? Thanks.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Cavabien

On pace for a good season???
He was pointless in 4 of 7 games and in one game he had 4 points... I think that kind of skewed hes stats

Cavabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

If accurate, the Panther organization comes out looking very incompetent.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
PlayItAgain

Hard to believe this story because Martin and Keenan are great friends away from hockey. Plus it does not seem to be in Martin's character to backstab anyone let alone a friend.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:46 PM
ArtG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nzzy View Post
The 'truth' is that Vancouver made an awesome deal by trading away the team cancer, an average goalie and an average defenseman for an average defenseman and an elite goalie.
Don't forget that 6th round pick that they turned into Sergei Shirokov, who could be a steal.

ArtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
Exactly, if the Panthers owner was on board with going behind Keenan's back to get a deal done, why would he sign off on the Vancouver trade?

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Except it came it before the trade went down that Martin was talking with Lupien and trying to get a deal with Louie. Keenan realized Martin could possibly get the job done better and decided to not be as involved due to the bad blood already there.

There was an article about Martin talking to Lungo several days before the trade, not sure how they went behind Keenan's back when there was an article about it.

Either way, while I'm not sad Luongo's gone, I certainly wish Keenan would have taken the supposed Ottawa deal that was on the table instead of the Vancouver deal. It's hard to judge the trade considering Bert's been injured. Been tough for the Panthers havign him out, Niuewy having to retire, Weiss injured (again), Kolnik out, and now Roberts.

01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavabien View Post
On pace for a good season???
He was pointless in 4 of 7 games and in one game he had 4 points... I think that kind of skewed hes stats
Sounds like Bertuzzi to me. "What, we're playing Detroit? I guess I'll get a hat trick and dominate the ice."

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nzzy View Post
I wasn't. Steve McCarthy was and said so.
You obviously never saw bertuzzis interview about that when he was questioned, mcarthy is an idiot, just becasue he was not getting a fair chacne in vancouver he went to atlanta and made upa bunch of crap.... the canucks were going through a lot as a team...Bertuzzi IS not the reason we never made the playoffs.... No one from the canucks organization or anyone who left after last season... oir even before last season ever said anything about bertuzzi being a cancer in the room.... ye maybe he never talked to the rookies as much as an assistant captain should but that doesnt mean he was not a captain... steve mcarthy only made those comments because he was never really apart of the team, always struggling to be that 6th defensmen and so on..... Kesler has even said he learned alot from Bert....

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Except it came it before the trade went down that Martin was talking with Lupien and trying to get a deal with Louie. Keenan realized Martin could possibly get the job done better and decided to not be as involved due to the bad blood already there.

There was an article about Martin talking to Lungo several days before the trade, not sure how they went behind Keenan's back when there was an article about it.

Either way, while I'm not sad Luongo's gone, I certainly wish Keenan would have taken the supposed Ottawa deal that was on the table instead of the Vancouver deal. It's hard to judge the trade considering Bert's been injured. Been tough for the Panthers havign him out, Niuewy having to retire, Weiss injured (again), Kolnik out, and now Roberts.
Luongo is the one saying taht it was done in a secretive manner, and keenan did not ahve a clue about what was going on.... Its coming from Luongos mouth..

Old
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG View Post
Don't forget that 6th round pick that they turned into Sergei Shirokov, who could be a steal.
Sergie Shirokov stats were accidently 10 goals above than usual when the canucks drafted him.... They were informed after they drafted him...

Old
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
I've read that article and didn't get anything.. Could somebody describe situation in several words ? Thanks.
Florida panters owner and the coach went behind GM's back to sign Luongo.....Hours later the GM trades Luongo.... A few weeks later GM quits... (most likely forced to resign, because they didn't want people finding out about this...)

Old
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
schutney

How can a GM make a trade without the owner knowing, that doesnt seem right?
That's like a coach making a trade without the GM not knowing. The owner superseeds the GM.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
How can a GM make a trade without the owner knowing, that doesnt seem right?
That's like a coach making a trade without the GM not knowing. The owner superseeds the GM.
Well on the trade deadline im sure not all GM's can contact the owner and tell tehm or ask them about every move... they need to be done quick... if lots of teams were bidding on the player.... thats why an owner gets a GM... most owners dont ahve an idea of the game....and the GM's job is to build the team... not the owners... but i agree... you would have to think that there must be some wauy the owner could be notified... but an example, canucks old owner john mccaw never ever was seen with brian burke, mccaw was seen at gm place maybe 8 times since owning the canucks from 1995-2006. Burke and Nonis were given full power by Mccaw becasue all McCaw cared about was the $$$

Old
01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Luongo is the one saying taht it was done in a secretive manner, and keenan did not ahve a clue about what was going on.... Its coming from Luongos mouth..
So then it must be truth? Like I said, there was a newspaper article days (almost a week) before the trade that Martin was in talks with Luongo and the reason was because Keenan didn't wan t to foul things up...for once. It was in the newspaper...how's that a secret?

I realize you think this is breaking news that Martin was involved in the trade talks, it's not. Perhaps that Martin was calling Louie's wife is, but everyone here was well aware that Martin was talking to Lupien, and we were glad to hear Keenan actually side-stepping his pride. IN the end, martin, Keenan, and Cohen all decided the trade needed to happen...what's in question is where Louie was traded, it's been speculated that Cohen (team owner) thought Keenan was going to accept the supposed Ottawa deal.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
schutney

Quote:
Well on the trade deadline im sure not all GM's can contact the owner and tell tehm or ask them about every move... they need to be done quick... if lots of teams were bidding on the player.... thats why an owner gets a GM... most owners dont ahve an idea of the game....and the GM's job is to build the team... not the owners... but i agree... you would have to think that there must be some wauy the owner could be notified... but an example, canucks old owner john mccaw never ever was seen with brian burke, mccaw was seen at gm place maybe 8 times since owning the canucks from 1995-2006. Burke and Nonis were given full power by Mccaw becasue all McCaw cared about was the $$$

I agree with this but the article stated that the owner and martin were negotiating a contract extension with luongo, so why would a trade occur if the owner was actually getting involved. Personally I feel theres a lot of postering going on, whether it be from Martin, Keenen, Luongo, or Lupien.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 05:31 PM
zenator

To go from getting Havlat (who would have resigned at $6 mil per), Emery, and a 1st rounder / or Phillips, or whatever the trade was going to be; to getting Bertuzzi for 20 games, Auld, and Allen just to avoid dealing within your own conference was sheer stupidity. With the deal they got, it's not like Florida is making the playoffs anytime soon and has to worry about playing Ottawa. Stupid.

Way to go Mike, Jacques, and owner.

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenator1 View Post
To go from getting Havlat (who would have resigned at $6 mil per), Emery, and a 1st rounder / or Phillips, or whatever the trade was going to be; to getting Bertuzzi for 20 games, Auld, and Allen just to avoid dealing within your own conference was sheer stupidity. With the deal they got, it's not like Florida is making the playoffs anytime soon and has to worry about playing Ottawa. Stupid.

Way to go Mike, Jacques, and owner.
why are sens fans keep bringing this up, get over it! you never got luongo....

Old
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
why are sens fans keep bringing this up, get over it! you never got luongo....
Because it's been widely reported that Ottawa offered a better package, and if I was a Panthers fan, I'd be upset.

I mean really, if Ottawa had rejected the Spezza and Chara offer from the Islanders for Yashin because they didn't want him in their conference and taken something like Keith Carney and Stan Chistov from the Ducks, I'd be upset...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
You obviously never saw bertuzzis interview about that when he was questioned, mcarthy is an idiot, just becasue he was not getting a fair chacne in vancouver he went to atlanta and made upa bunch of crap.... the canucks were going through a lot as a team...Bertuzzi IS not the reason we never made the playoffs.... No one from the canucks organization or anyone who left after last season... oir even before last season ever said anything about bertuzzi being a cancer in the room.... ye maybe he never talked to the rookies as much as an assistant captain should but that doesnt mean he was not a captain... steve mcarthy only made those comments because he was never really apart of the team, always struggling to be that 6th defensmen and so on..... Kesler has even said he learned alot from Bert....
That's ridiculous. What reason would McCarthy have to lie about Bertuzzi?

Let's look at the facts here. Vancouver severely underperformed last year. There was a rumor about division in the locker room. At the end of the year, Bertuzzi was traded.

But no... I'm sure he was a saint...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote