HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The most undeserving all star is Cheechoo

Old
01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
unfortunatly, last year doesnt matter, i really dont think ducks fans care.
I should have put a " "..

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Block View Post
Look, Cheechoo is a great player, and I believe he will do better the 2nd half of the season, but he is still the most undeserving all star, because he gets to START. I don't think people would mind if he was just "in" but the thing is he gets to START, which is complete BS.

But, what can you do. At the end of the day Daniel Briere also gets to start, which is even more underserving.
Yeah...ok...49 points compared to 27, and Cheechoo is more deserving.

In all honestly, I don't believe Briere should a starter over a guy like Hossa but he definitly deserves to be on the team.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I should have put a " "..
ah, sorry about that

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:30 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Yeah...ok...49 points compared to 27, and Cheechoo is more deserving.

In all honestly, I don't believe Briere should a starter over a guy like Hossa but he definitly deserves to be on the team.
100% agreeing.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Im more upset that I argued that Cheechoo wasnt close to as good as his stats last year indicate and got blasted...and yet I get no credit now. Where is my credit? Where?

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Rickety Cricket

cheechoo is a pretty good player, it just seems like things arent going right this year. What really makes me think that he can play better is that in the 2003-2004 season, he scored 28 goals playing with Scott Thornton and Mike Ricci. I think this year just isnt his year, hopefully he can have a good 2nd half.

Old
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
DarkShark*

The difference between Cheechoo and Rory is that "the fans" actually wanted to see Cheechoo. The fans didn't want to see Rory. Only a tiny minority wanted to see him, and even a lot of those people just voted for him because their buddies persuaded them, or vehement anti-Rory posters angered them, and not because they actually wanted to see Rory play. But a plurality of fans wanted to see Cheechoo, so he got in. There was no major grass roots campaign to vote him in like there was with Rory. I agree with whoever it was though that said someone like Hemsky is a lot funner to watch. But casual fans don't know any better and vote for Cheechoo because he got a lot of press and a lot of fans, especially of East teams, haven't seem him very much if at all. So it is what it is.

DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
The New Originals

I'm more curious as to how Miller is the starter over Brodeur.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
The difference between Cheechoo and Rory is that "the fans" actually wanted to see Cheechoo.
You can't tell me that there wasn't San Jose ballot stuffing too. No way Hannan would have that many votes normally.

Didn't HP set up voting machines all around the Pavilion?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
It is very easy to argue that Briere is very undeserving of the starter spot in the East as well. Don't get me wrong he is all-star calibre but ahead of Hossa, St. Louis, Jagr and Heatley?
I don't think it's the same.

Briere, while a player I detest he deserves to be an all star and he'd be going anyways so I don't see the problem.

Cheechoo would not be an all star if not voted in.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
I'm more curious as to how Miller is the starter over Brodeur.
Just like San Jose, Buffalo had a higher proportion of people voting at a higher clip than other cities. Just like Rory was advertised heavily on HF boards, Sharks and Sabre players were advertised heavily in their respective cities and their fans simply voted more than fans from other areas.

Should Brodeur be the starting goalie over Miller in the East? Yes
Should Selane or Iginla be the starting RW over Cheechoo in the West? Absolutely

But none of this matters, because not enough people voted for them, end of story.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
krudmonk

Iginla starting???

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess he works when I'm not looking.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Sourey is worst, I think. I'm a Habs fans and he's a good guy. But can you count yourself an all-star because of powerplay goals..? It's pretty damn ridiculous. Next we're gonna send Begin because of his hits....

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
ryz

Cheechoo over Iginla or even Selanne is a joke at this point.

I'm not sure about Luongo either.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
I've got nothing against Luongo, but he got in for the same reason 3 Sabres got in. They paid off from the Rory campaign. If someone here believes that Ryan Miller (nothing personal against him) is more popular than Martin Brodeur, then you believe in the tooth fairy.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
DarkShark*

Yes, there were more votes for San Jose players compared to other teams, but with Cheechoo, there was clearly support from other constituencies too. I mean, he got more votes than Marleau, who has had a better season and is in his 9th or 10th season with us. He is at least as recognizable to San Joseans as Cheechoo is, plus he is having another excellent season, with 46 points in 42 games. Yet Cheechoo got a lot more votes. Why? The only explanation can be from the national press he got last year from winning the R.R, and the fact that he has gotten limited on-ice exposure to a lot of fans in the East because this is only his third season and unlike Marleau he's never been to an All-Star game.

Edit: Just checked the total votes and Cheech only beat Marleau by 30K. Well, maybe I'm partly wrong. But there is not that much injustice in him getting in, considering the season he had last year. And nobody who voted for Rory has a right to complain about it either.

Last edited by DarkShark*: 01-10-2007 at 08:10 PM.
DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
For those trashing Luongo being voted on, Cheechoo is a far worse selection.

Discuss.
Yeah no **** Einstein. Of course Luongo voters are being trashed, but no one is saying that he was the most undeserving all-star starter. You obviously can trash Shark fans for voting for him, which always happens in SJ, but I'd wager that the majority of casual fans voted for him because they thought "Oh a winger...let's see...who was the guy that scored the most goals in the league last year?"

Big deal. The ASG is a popularity contest, and that's exactly what Rory voters tried to prove.

Iginla and Selanne should be flanking Thornton in the West.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:21 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

People just vote their favourite players regardless of what kind of season they're having. Tonnes of San Jose fans needed a winger to vote for so just picked Cheechoo. As much as I love Sakic he hasnt been the best Center in the west this year but no one is complaining about him are they?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
Yeah no **** Einstein. Of course Luongo voters are being trashed, but no one is saying that he was the most undeserving all-star starter. You obviously can trash Shark fans for voting for him, which always happens in SJ, but I'd wager that the majority of casual fans voted for him because they thought "Oh a winger...let's see...who was the guy that scored the most goals in the league last year?"

Big deal. The ASG is a popularity contest, and that's exactly what Rory voters tried to prove.

Iginla and Selanne should be flanking Thornton in the West.
Luongo certainly atleast has a case to be an all star, Cheechoo for this season doesn't so I don't see why you singled out Luongo for making it.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
For those trashing Luongo being voted on, Cheechoo is a far worse selection.

Discuss.
Cheechoo getting voted in is as bad as Fitzpatrick potentially making it, except without the grassroot fan support having a good time. I can't believe there are that many people who legitimately think he should start yet alone be a allstar this season.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Vlasicfied*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Im more upset that I argued that Cheechoo wasnt close to as good as his stats last year indicate and got blasted...and yet I get no credit now. Where is my credit? Where?
You might get credit in 5 more years. Oh, but let me say that Selanne is a horrible player based on four games where he didn't score!

Vlasicfied* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Vlasicfied*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
Cheechoo getting voted in is as bad as Fitzpatrick potentially making it, except without the grassroot fan support having a good time. I can't believe there are that many people who legitimately think he should start yet alone be a allstar this season.
I don't think he deserves to be in, but it doesn't stop me from voting for him. I can't believe you actually think that many people think he should be an all-star.

Vlasicfied* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Tray4Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Bet this thread lasts no longer that a page.
Deal.

How bout a couple million?

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Kardi

no way cheech made the team

he has what 20 points?

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasicfied View Post
You might get credit in 5 more years. Oh, but let me say that Selanne is a horrible player based on four games where he didn't score!
Huh? Cheechoo has played bad in about 40 games, as opposed to these 4 games for selanne that you're reffering to