HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sidney Crosby's Point Pace

Old
01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Biggsy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectionX View Post
call me again when crosby scored 215 points.

gretzky is the greatest
Call me when the goalies are as skinny as the friggen posts

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Crosby87.*

If Crosby played in Gretzky's era... I'm not even going to go there.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87. View Post
If Crosby played in Gretzky's era... I'm not even going to go there.
Quote:
Find all posts by Crosby87.
Find all threads started by Crosby87.
wow....

I don't know about Sidney Crosby's point pace, but at Crosby87.'s post pace, he'll have the highest post count on HF within a month...

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
wow....
My post stats are what his ice stats would look like

Old
01-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
wow....

I don't know about Sidney Crosby's point pace, but at Crosby87.'s post pace, he'll have the highest post count on HF within a month...
lol no. best I've ever done on a forum was 5000 in 2 months. Although this forum is much more active, and easy as hell to make a decent post in.

And no, I'm not a forum troll. I just go on when I'm at home, and lately it's been so cold I can't go skating or anything so yea. I wish it showed time logged. Or PPH (Post Per Hour)

Old
01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
wow....

Wow, and I thought I was an addicted Internet fiend, and I only post a tenth that much.....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
lol no. best I've ever done on a forum was 5000 in 2 months. Although this forum is much more active, and easy as hell to make a decent post in.
And I think I have no life...it's taken me almost 5 years to put as many posts up as you could pass in 8 months (or, if you keep this pace up, in 6 months).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:25 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:

And no, I'm not a forum troll. I just go on when I'm at home, and lately it's been so cold I can't go skating or anything so yea. I wish it showed time logged. Or PPH (Post Per Hour)
No, I didn't mean you were a troll, I've seen about 100 of your posts over the past 4 days, and you seem to generally know what your talking about.

Old
01-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
And I think I have no life...it's taken me almost 5 years to put as many posts up as you could pass in 8 months...
lol @ no life comment. I play high school hockey and ****. You don't understand. Lately in Winnipeg it's been like -38 with Windchill. I have nothing to do. Little off topic though. *Whistles*

Old
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead_1 View Post
In all honesty, I'd say Crosby and Ovechkin's teams are pretty comparable.
Crosby's biggest advantage is that he gets to feast on the Flyer's corpse three more times this season, while AO only got four games against them.

Crosby vs. Flyers 5gms 7G 8A 15pts +12 6pim 10sog
Ovechkin vs. Flyers 4gms 6G 5A 11pts +7 2pim 14sog

Guttersnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
Crosby's biggest advantage is that he gets to feast on the Flyer's corpse three more times this season, while AO only got four games against them.

Crosby vs. Flyers 5gms 7G 8A 15pts +12 6pim 10sog
Ovechkin vs. Flyers 4gms 6G 5A 11pts +7 2pim 14sog
This is very true. Trade Ovechkin for Oulette?

Old
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
lol @ no life comment. I play high school hockey and ****. You don't understand. Lately in Winnipeg it's been like -38 with Windchill. I have nothing to do. Little off topic though. *Whistles*
Yeah, I understand. I've gone on my posting rampages before, but I still don't think I've ever come close to touching those kinds of numbers.

Don't think I'm trashing you or nothing. You're actually one of the better new posters I've seen around here.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yeah, I understand. I've gone on my posting rampages before, but I still don't think I've ever come close to touching those kinds of numbers.
I know what I'm doing I guess? I don't know. I'll probably slow it down.

That person with 68,000 posts. My eyes almost bulged out of my head when I saw that.

EDIT: And thank you

Old
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
That person with 68,000 posts. My eyes almost bulged out of my head when I saw that.
Middleton?

And I go on post crazes too. Yesterday I had something like 25.

Old
01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Middleton?
Yessome. That's a lot. A LOT.

Old
01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

Quote:
This is very true. Trade Ovechkin for Oulette?
Huh? I'm just pointing out that the Flyers lead the league in goals against by a lot and Sid gets to romp against them eight times, which is pretty entertaining if you hate the Flyers. And I do.

Guttersnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
Huh? I'm just pointing out that the Flyers lead the league in goals against by a lot and Sid gets to romp against them eight times, which is pretty entertaining if you hate the Flyers. And I do.
I was joking >_<

Quote:
Middleton?

And I go on post crazes too. Yesterday I had something like 25.
I can do that on a bad day

Last edited by Crosby87.*: 01-11-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old
01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Semantics

It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions when you're comparing players from two eras. Heck, it's difficult enough to compare Gretzky and Lemieux, whose careers mostly overlapped.

Looking at a player's relative dominance is just as flawed as most of the other comparisons. Sure Gretzky almost doubled the points of his nearest competitor, but then, the pool of talent back then was much smaller. When Gretzky was born, the population of Canada was under 20 million. When Crosby was born, it was nearly 30 million. When Gretzky played, Canadians made up almost all of the NHL. Now, Canadians make up what, 50%?

Given that the total pool of potential NHL players in the world is probably three or four times what it was when Gretzky starred, Crosby will have a hard time outscoring his contemporaries by the huge margin Gretzky did. There are a lot of players in today's NHL who are second or third liners who would be first line players if they'd been born and played 20 years earlier. And not only should one expect the gap between Crosby and other top offensive players to be less, but the gap between him and opposing defenders and goaltenders is also less than it would be 20 years ago. And it's already been widely noted that improvements in player fitness, equipment, etc. also add to the parity in the league.

The more the pool of talent in the world grows relative to the size of the league, the less likely it becomes we'll see a player as dominant as Gretzky. This is true in other pro sports too. You just don't see that kind of dominance any more. But just because Crosby won't dominate as much as Gretzky did doesn't mean he won't turn out to be the greater player.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
I was joking >_<

I can do that on a bad day
Kiddo, you need to be introduced to tv and video games. And maybe books.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:26 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik11 View Post
It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions when you're comparing players from two eras. Heck, it's difficult enough to compare Gretzky and Lemieux, whose careers mostly overlapped.

Looking at a player's relative dominance is just as flawed as most of the other comparisons. Sure Gretzky almost doubled the points of his nearest competitor, but then, the pool of talent back then was much smaller. When Gretzky was born, the population of Canada was under 20 million. When Crosby was born, it was nearly 30 million. When Gretzky played, Canadians made up almost all of the NHL. Now, Canadians make up what, 50%?

Given that the total pool of potential NHL players in the world is probably three or four times what it was when Gretzky starred, Crosby will have a hard time outscoring his contemporaries by the huge margin Gretzky did. There are a lot of players in today's NHL who are second or third liners who would be first line players if they'd been born and played 20 years earlier. And not only should one expect the gap between Crosby and other top offensive players to be less, but the gap between him and opposing defenders and goaltenders is also less than it would be 20 years ago. And it's already been widely noted that improvements in player fitness, equipment, etc. also add to the parity in the league.

The more the pool of talent in the world grows relative to the size of the league, the less likely it becomes we'll see a player as dominant as Gretzky. This is true in other pro sports too. You just don't see that kind of dominance any more. But just because Crosby won't dominate as much as Gretzky did doesn't mean he won't turn out to be the greater player.
Excellent points. That's something I've thought about as well. Crosby is playing againast much better competition from all around the world. There were some Europeans in the NHL back in Gretzky's day, but many stayed in Europe. Now, pretty much all of the most talented players from around the world play in the NHL.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
TV and Video games? No if I'm not on the computer I'm with friends or at the rink. If it wasn't cold out I'd be skating during the week and out with friends on the weekends.

But I'm done defending myself

Old
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
thedjpd

Crosby is a machine. Seriously, and I was never a big fan of it, but the guy is 19 and 1.7 ppg? It's insane. I don't know if he'll reach Gretzky/Lemeiux proportions, but what he's done thus far is insane. The key, is if and when the Penguins make the playoffs, can he produce at the same rate.

That'll tell the story more than anything else.

thedjpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Psst. I think you meant women.

PecaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan View Post
Psst. I think you meant women.
You're funny