HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Stop Dreaming GUys

Old
01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
westcory

vCash: 500
Stop Dreaming GUys

I want to post this to calm us down a bit (plus if I post this our chance of landing one of these players will increase and I will look like an idiot). Jay Boumeister (sp) is not going to happen, his salary arbitration was a gift at 2.2 and Florida picked up the extra option. Mike Van Ryan might be an option. JOVO isn't going to happen for 7 million, unless we trade Smyth for JOVO and Doan, which I don't think will happen either. Lubamir Vishnovsky will not happen either unless it is a deadline day deal. He is second in defenseman scoring and has a soft contract as well that has more time left on it. Pitkanen is a dman you can build a team around and I doubt at his age we will see him moved, again this would be a package deal and KLOWE doesn't do that often.

We are probably going to be getting two Niniama (SP) type players for pics and prospects. There is no sense in trading Torres and Lupul if your just trying to get dmen to get you to the playoffs, what are you going to do once you get into the playoffs without Torres? Boston is possible, Tampa is possible and Florida (Van Ryan) is possible. Also Phoenix may unload boyton and morris who are only marginally better than what we have but the asking price might be right (prospects).

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Quatchi

Agreed.

KLo recently said he's not making a deal right now just for the sake of making a deal. Until the deadline gets closer and teams start trading, the best we can hope for is Hedja to continue to improve, Smid to come back strong and Gilbert to steal Bergerons spot or make Bergeron improve.

Quatchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:50 PM
melubsdonna

awww.... I shall dream of other things tonight then.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
bicycles

vCash: 50
Can this be the official reverse psychology thread? The Oilers will play terrible tonight and lose, starting a 7 game losing streak!

bicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
May sound mean

but I would rather have the oilers miss the playoffs and take it as a learning experience---then two trade either prospects, first round picks and or Torres and Lupul for a d-man that is in the end not worth it..

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:01 PM
VoiceOfReason

I thought we all agreed that Lupul and Torres weren't going anywhere?

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:51 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
May sound mean

but I would rather have the oilers miss the playoffs and take it as a learning experience---then two trade either prospects, first round picks and or Torres and Lupul for a d-man that is in the end not worth it..
Not mean, sensible. This is one year that is kind of a grace period, since we had a great run last year if we miss the playoffs then it isn't as huge of a deal, it just makes Pronger look like a God.

Truth be told I would rather miss the playoffs and sign a player like Stuart in the off season and keep are relatively cheap effective forwards. Keep our picks, keep our prospects and keep are team together. We have some very good young talent, (I know I can't mention this but imagine we had HWSNBM.

Best Case:
We make the playoffs with our current team with out dismantling our future. We make a trade to get some help on the blue line without losing great assets(unlikely).

Or if we do make a trade and get rid of some young talent I would hope we get a very good player signed to more then 1 year at a reasonable rate.

I guess it depends on guys like Stuart, if Stuart signs in BOS then we are forced to make a trade because there aren't many well rounded PP/PK/5x5 d men on the market. I just hope Lowe does something to fill a hole and improve the team long term.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote