HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The reason Ribiero sat last night

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 04:28 AM
Mike The Wall

vCash: 500
The reason Ribiero sat last night

According to a french radio station and reliable source within the team Ribiero sat yesterdays game because during Saturday nights game he stayed out on the the ice way to long way to often. After the game Julien approached Mike about it but Mike's reaction was like if was not listening to the coach speak, and the coach told him he was not gona play the next game in punishment of not listening to team rules

Old
12-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Darz

That seems to be the story making the rounds. Personally, I'm happy that Julien sat Ribiero out. It shows we have a coach with balls, and it sends a good message to the rest of the players. Hopefully Rib's will learn from this experience and become a better player for it.

Old
12-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
That seems to be the story making the rounds. Personally, I'm happy that Julien sat Ribiero out. It shows we have a coach with balls, and it sends a good message to the rest of the players. Hopefully Rib's will learn from this experience and become a better player for it.
If Ribs really did that, then I approve CJ's decision.. I do the same thing with my son, if he doesn't listen, then I remove his permissions

Ribs has shown a real commitement to improving this year, I have no doubts that he will learn from it.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Bob Bastards

We will now see if Rib have a spine or if is a soft kid. If he start playing like he can to show the coach he was wrong to bench him, it can make wonder on is play.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:19 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Démon Blond
If Ribs really did that, then I approve CJ's decision.. I do the same thing with my son, if he doesn't listen, then I remove his permissions

Ribs has shown a real commitement to improving this year, I have no doubts that he will learn from it.

IF your son get 95% in an exam and is the 2nd best of the class, will you punish him for the 5%??

Specially if he showed real commitement?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:45 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
IF your son get 95% in an exam and is the 2nd best of the class, will you punish him for the 5%??

Specially if he showed real commitement?
I'm not sure I follow your example, as kicking butt on an exam and playing a team game are totally different. If I'm a coach, and I have a player who puts himself ahead of the team to get individual attention and accolades, you're damn right he should be put in line. That's not the same thing as studying hard and getting that 95% you're talking about. Now, if he checks out a library book that other students need and doesn't return it so that others can't look at it, then that's another story. Anyway, I'm drunk and I don't know what I am talking about.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:02 AM
habsfansam

good job CJ!! if mike was falling into bad habits and we can get the message to him... great job! I read a Pat Hickey article this mornign saying that ribiero himself said that CJ had told him that he was taking shifts that were too long (so at least he got the message). I am glad ribs didn't play last night... hell, at least we won! hope he's back in and playing hard again soon.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Joe Maximum

I think most people who don't understand the decision don't know the difference between attitude and performance. Sure little mikey has put up decent numbers, but if a speck of an attitude problem develops, I'd rather see him be tutored ( and that also means reprimanded in need ) to the right direction before he becomes a high point producer but locker room cancer or a in love with himself type forward.

Half of you people said you didn't want a headcase like Jagr in montreal, well don't be hypocritical and say headcase sucks while asking for CJs head on a plate for him trying to prevent one from developping.

Anyways I trust CJ, he has been good in the past, and I still think he is a good coach, so while I don't think we should give him credit or bash him just yet about the decision, but at least give him the benefit of the doubt ( not sure if it's the right term, what's the exact traduction for "le bénéfice du doute"). As FANS we have NO F*ing clue what happened in MIke Ribeiro's case and just assumed he was being robbed by a crazy coach. Give this decision time before you judge.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:32 AM
habsfan19

we can put it in the past now, game's over, Habs won

now to see if Ribs plays Friday, I assume he will be back in the lineup as this was just a reminder to say if you don't listen to the coach, you don't play

hopefully he'll come back and show CJ how he can play, which means put points up on the board

Old
12-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Guy Caballero

I think this was an issue of team balance. The first line is set (for now). That means we have 9 forward positions up for grabs each game. Those 9 must be a balance of scoring and size/checking. Begin and Langdon get the nod because they each bring elements that we need on the ice every game. Bulis is a good checker and defensive player. Pearreault has already spent time in the pressbox and has played well since coming back. Dagenais and Kilger give us size. Dackell and Sundstrom give us PKers.

Ribeiro is a strictly offensive player who won't hurt you in the defensive zone. Sure, he's tallied up a few assists lately, but he hasn't scored since OCTOBER 16th!!! That's 20 games in a row, going back to our fourth game this season! That is the mark of a weak, soft perimeter player who won't pay the price in front of the net (since lack of offensive tools are not his problem). This is what Ribeiro is, and we'll go nowhere as long as we have to depend on him. He won't be on Gainey's team for long, and we'll be praising the day we traded him when a gritty leader is in his place giving his all night after night. Gainey will get that guy (or Higgins will become him) -- it's just a matter of time.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
I'm not sure I follow your example, as kicking butt on an exam and playing a team game are totally different. If I'm a coach, and I have a player who puts himself ahead of the team to get individual attention and accolades, you're damn right he should be put in line. That's not the same thing as studying hard and getting that 95% you're talking about. Now, if he checks out a library book that other students need and doesn't return it so that others can't look at it, then that's another story. Anyway, I'm drunk and I don't know what I am talking about.
For someone who's drunk you made a good analogy.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Leprechaun

vCash:
Mike's shift are too long ?

Here the average ice time per shift of Mike for the last 3 games (from La Presse)
Florida: 55 seconds
Washington: 43 seconds
Vancouver: 48 seconds

They are another raison but I don't know what it is ?

Old
12-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun

Here the average ice time per shift of Mike for the last 3 games (from La Presse)

The key word is "AVERAGE." No one has stated that every single shift he is out too long, but once or twice a game he is out there way too long which puts his team in a comprising position.

If he puts in a 1 and half minute shift once a night, it is not going to affect the "average" much, but it could be costly on the scoreboard.

Old
12-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Well wata ya now, i was right yesterday when i told you guys that gainey and company no what they are doing.

Now just continue to RELAX

Old
12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
hockey_nut

here's another article that goes over the situation

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/mtl15.html

Fuelled by chants of “Ribeiro, Ribeiro” raining down from the nosebleeds at the Bell Centre, one question posed to Julien was phrased like this: “Do you understand the disappointment of fans who say, ‘At the price we’re paying for our tickets, the most spectacular player on the team isn’t there tonight?’ ”

Julien, to his credit, didn’t explode, as this was the fourth question he was asked on the subject, in both languages.

“You have to tell them that the spectacular player the fans came to see will be even more spectacular if he makes the necessary adjustments,” he reasoned, “that they’ll see a better Mike Ribeiro.”

Old
12-03-2003, 11:32 AM
HABitude

Avez-vous remarqué que Ribeiro a été interviewé dans le sous-sol du Centre Bell habillé d'un costard valant $1500 et coiffé d'une tuque blanche ridicule valant $1 chez Dollorama? Doit-on voir là un geste de défi?

Old
12-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Avez-vous remarqué que Ribeiro a été interviewé dans le sous-sol du Centre Bell habillé d'un costard valant $1500 et coiffé d'une tuque blanche ridicule valant $1 chez Dollorama? Doit-on voir là un geste de défi?
Rapport, j'espère c'est une joke haha.
La tuque valait plus que 1$ premièrement, et peut-être qu'il feelait pas pour se mettre du gel dans les cheveux, et qu'il s'est dit que ca serait beau avec une tuque? J'suis pas dans sa tête, mais come on!

Old
12-03-2003, 01:26 PM
BLONG7

Just caught an interview with Ribs, and says that he realized in the OT Florida game he knew that he stayed on the ice too long... upon returning to the bench he knew he was in "trouble"... Gotta like it, CJ is sending a message to Ribs on this one. BTW the only reason he leads the team in points is because Saku missed 13 games. Ribs hasn't scored in the past 20 games? Lots of assists and that's great but... wel ask CJ

Old
12-03-2003, 03:41 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Rapport, j'espère c'est une joke haha.
La tuque valait plus que 1$ premièrement, et peut-être qu'il feelait pas pour se mettre du gel dans les cheveux, et qu'il s'est dit que ca serait beau avec une tuque? J'suis pas dans sa tête, mais come on!
Haha, le voir a été une joke pour moi, il aurait pu jouer dans une émission de la Petite Vie habillé de même. M'a fait rire. Très mal assorti, y devait être un peu mêlé dans sa tête.

Pour la tuque : pas bin bin plus que $5 mais son complet c'est de la qualité en tous cas, une belle qualité de lainage, probablement du fait à la main par des italiens, $1500 facile.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:04 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun

His agent, Bob Perno, says that his client has not been a victim of injustice. That says a lot.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:14 PM
HABitude

Ron Fournier knowing what he knows, not wanting to tell on the radio what he knows, is almost sure that his ice time is not the real reason. He made his show last night about that (I listened just a bit), he came back on that topic tonight for a few minutes.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Ron Fournier knowing what he knows, not wanting to tell on the radio what he knows, is almost sure that his ice time is not the real reason. He made his show last night about that (I listened just a bit), he came back on that topic tonight for a few minutes.
Assuming Ron Fournier has not gone senile yet, what could push him to say something like that? How could he know something we don't, as I don't know of him following the team or anything... Maybe he has journalist friends who do follow the team closely? Maybe he just wants to fuel the Ribeiro issue (when there really isn't one) to get the ratings up and satisfy his francophone following... Anybody care to elaborate?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Assuming Ron Fournier has not gone senile yet, what could push him to say something like that? How could he know something we don't, as I don't know of him following the team or anything... Maybe he has journalist friends who do follow the team closely? Maybe he just wants to fuel the Ribeiro issue (when there really isn't one) to get the ratings up and satisfy his francophone following... Anybody care to elaborate?
I'm almost sure in private Ron Fournier is not the showman he is on radio. Rates is very important for CKAC, this is a private station, no subventions.
What does Ron Fornier knows? I don't know. After all those years, he might have some ears inside the Hab team, some reliable sources, don't you think so?
I don't know, he's doing a good show, he's not a sleepy kindda talkin' guy.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Personally I applaud CJ for making this move! The differences are beginning to show from last year's Habs and this year's team. Less mistakes! CJ is making players accountable for their actions on the ice. Benching Ribs will send a message to all the players that CJ runs the team and not team! I think this team is starting to build character. The only ones blowing this up are the french media and fans who think that Mike Ribiero is the next coming to Mario Lemeuix. Well I have one thing to say to them. RIBS IS NOT SUPER MARIO!!!!!

Old
12-04-2003, 03:55 AM
rocketlives

Why Ribeiro sat ?

This whole thing is getting a bit ridiculous. Rejean Tremblay is even making it a French/English issue in his column this morning. And I thought Ribeiro was a Portuguese kid who was as much anglophone as francophone.

I have never been a big Ribeiro fan. Ribs is far from being the total package. So far, he has played in 140 NHL games scoring 17 goals and adding 35 assists. He has a career PPG of .371 and is a -17, which really is nothing to write home about.

The fact Ribeiro is the Habs scoring leader so far this year with 15 points in 24 games shows how weak this team really is offensively. If healthy scratching Ribeiro was a disciplinary measure for overstretching a few shifts in OT against the Panthers, couldn't it wait for the next road game.

That way, you wouldn't get fans with their kids wearing a #71 jersey wondering why the Habs scoring leader isn't dressed and you wouldn't get half the attendance chanting Ribeiro on each inneficient PP with Craig Rivet playing as a forward. Sometimes I'm asking myself if this administration isn't as dumb as the previous ones.

The Montreal Canadiens' nickname "The Habs" should perhaps be changed to "The Drhabs".

Last edited by rocketlives: 12-04-2003 at 04:54 AM.
Closed Thread