HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brad Watson has become the worst referee in hockey

Old
01-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Schitzo

vCash: 500
What kills me is that you KNOW there will be even-up calls. The sharks get 7 in a row against them, the oilers get a couple of PP goals, and then all of a sudden there are 4 (or 5?) straight calls against the oilers.

I don't think the oilers were totally penalty-free in the first half of the game, so fine, call against both teams. It's better than watching the refs flip a switch and decide they dicked san jose hard enough, time to stick it to the oilers instead.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:43 AM
zoo99

What a joke that was listening to the San Jose broadcast of the game on FSN, These guys had me laughing all night. You'd think McSoreloser would at least have a little common sense considering he played the game but man these clowns are bigger Homer's then Joe Boewan and Jim Ralph. One on the best lines was when they didn't see the high stick on Torres, and as the camera was of a closeup (for almost ten seconds) of a nice little stream of blood running down his face these guys are going on about how someone from the San Jose bench must have said something to draw the penalty. Jokes

zoo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Casework

Even in the Sharks-Jackets game, for the first half of the second period, after the officials realized they botched the call and apologized to the team, they only called things in Columbus' favor until they scored and made it 2-1. I believe they kept making a few more calls for Columbus until finally they gave a penalty to them and then San Jose scored again to make it 3-1. After that, the penalties were like 4-5 Columbus, 1-2 for San Jose. Makes sense. The way the NHL works is that they make calls to make up for the previous period. It's pretty simple.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Crows*

ON january 3rd...... Brad watson and Mick MAGOO..... reffed the Vancouver dallas game...

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:05 AM
g3ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
I watched the game on Center Ice and it was the Sharks broadcast and i cant tell you that the reason why Shark fans are pissed is because McSorley bad mouthed the refs every time he spoke. Hahn even said the all the penalties to the Sharks were correct but he wished it would be more even. Well, hello!? The Oilers did nothing through the first two periods to deserve a penalty so there should not be anything wrong with what Brad Watson called. The puck that wasn't covered and the whistle blew anyway? Watson lost sight of the puck and all refs are instructed to blow the play dead when that happens so nothing wrong about that. McSorley is why your pissed.

End of Discussion.
Come on now. Give me a little more credit than that. I don't need the broadcasters pointing out penalties to me, and what they say doesn't sway my opinion of what happened. I am not some clueless fan who can't survive without hanging on every word that comes out of McSorely's or Hahn's mouth. There were several calls, especially in the first period, against the Oilers that weren't made. Those exact same plays may have been called penalties in another game. The fact that McSorely *****ed about about it has no effect on my opinion on the play. And saying that the Oilers did nothing in the first two periods to deserve penalties is ridiculous. There was a clear interference on Bell on that goal, and on several other plays during the game. And the play where the play was blown dead, Watson blew the whistle some time after the puck had come out of Roloson's control. Should the Sharks be penalized for Watson's inability to keep up with the puck? No.

The refs missed calls today.

End of discussion.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:10 AM
lopper

vCash: 50
Can we please move this "Shark Fans Whine About The Refs Again" to their forum

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
The puck that wasn't covered and the whistle blew anyway?
I think Hannan still missed the empty net anyway.

I'd like to know what Shark fans thought the Oilers got away with?

I never noticed how often Thornton crosschecks guys, though. He got Hemsky in the shoulder blades near the beginning of the game, then crosschecked Stoll and punched him in the face a couple times.

San Jose had a chance to tie the game in the third and didn't with their powerplays, including a 5-on-3 because Stoll knocked Clowe's stick out of his hands... that was a weak penalty call.

Wilson lost that game. Edmonton had four rookies playing on defense and he kept putting Marleau and Thornton out together against the Oilers two oldest defensemen (Hejda and Smith) for some reason.

Regardless, that's six straight games the Sharks have lost to the Oilers (if you include the playoffs last spring), and it seems like after everyone, Shark fans have been blaming the refs.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:17 AM
g3ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Can we please move this "Shark Fans Whine About The Refs Again" to their forum
Why don't you ask Columbus fans if Sharks fans are the only ones that have a problem with Watson? Don't single Sharks fans out without knowing the whole story.

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:04 AM
Steve L*

I think you just described about 80% of the refs in this league. They suck and are not held accountable. You or I would be fired for the same lack of performance and a player would be in the ECHL if they were on a par with NHL refs.

I still think Magoo and Lee are the worst Ive seen.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:24 AM
vitogor

I think the biggest problem with the refs is that they all somehow see the game differently. You get two refs in every game, and they don't call it the same way. A hook in one end is not a hook in the other. Then the teams switch, and it's all reversed. Then one ref feels that he should make up for the other one, and we have a real mess. It doesn't bother me that much when a ref misses an obvious high stick, or an obvious cross-check - they are human, and are prone to make mistakes just like everybody else. But the inconsistency from ref to ref drives me up the wall, especially if it happens in the same game. I'm not commenting on this particular game 'cause I didn't see it, I'm just saying in general.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:26 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The most blatant penalty that went uncalled was Thoreson's interference on Bell that led to the 2nd goal. That was interference right in front of the ref who dropped the puck and didn't call it. There were a lot of little interference penalties that can go either way and I couldn't care less about those but that check on Bell when the puck was at the point directly led to the 2nd goal as he's the point blocker. Sharks easily committed the most penalties tonight but that botched play to go along with the undisciplined aggressiveness of the Sharks allowed the Oilers to win tonight. There were some ticky-tack penalties on the Sharks. Niemenen's check on Hemsky, Ehrhoff's hook on Lupul, Doug Murray's hold, and Josh Gorges' push on Ryan Smyth. All of those penalties could've gone either way but if you call those, you have to pull the leash on some of the interferences that the Oil got away with and the unsportsmanlike conduct of Roloson after that Cheechoo goal.

Refs are going to screw up and I accept that and they did tonight but if you look at the whole body of work, the Sharks' lack of discipline ended up losing them this game tonight.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Josh Gorges' push on Ryan Smyth.
He crosschecked Smyth right in the back.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:06 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
I think the biggest problem with the refs is that they all somehow see the game differently. You get two refs in every game, and they don't call it the same way. A hook in one end is not a hook in the other. Then the teams switch, and it's all reversed. Then one ref feels that he should make up for the other one, and we have a real mess. It doesn't bother me that much when a ref misses an obvious high stick, or an obvious cross-check - they are human, and are prone to make mistakes just like everybody else. But the inconsistency from ref to ref drives me up the wall, especially if it happens in the same game. I'm not commenting on this particular game 'cause I didn't see it, I'm just saying in general.
As you said, they are human. They do their best to apply the rules as instructed to do so by the league, but there are still judgment calls, and no two referees will ever have the same opinions every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
I think you just described about 80% of the refs in this league. They suck and are not held accountable. You or I would be fired for the same lack of performance and a player would be in the ECHL if they were on a par with NHL refs.

NHL officials are held accountable for their mistakes. It is just not public news, for obvious reasons.

If you want to say they are not held accountable, prove it, and do it without any smartass comments like "they still have jobs. "

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:02 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
As you said, they are human. They do their best to apply the rules as instructed to do so by the league, but there are still judgment calls, and no two referees will ever have the same opinions every time.
I know. And that's the root of the problem IMO. I'm almost leaning towards going back to a single ref, because I don't see any other way around it.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:08 AM
DarkShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87. View Post
Yea, but you're complaining about numbers. I agree that it should be called the same way, but if they called that penalty on Bell, then it's be like 7 penalties to 1 or whatever, and all the Shark fans would still be *****ing, which basically means they want I.O.U calls.
The Oilers got I.O.U calls in the first game that we played against them. We were torching them on the powerplay, and hadn't taken any penalties, so the refs called a bunch of softies against us to give the Oilers powerplay time.

DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:13 AM
DarkShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The most blatant penalty that went uncalled was Thoreson's interference on Bell that led to the 2nd goal. That was interference right in front of the ref who dropped the puck and didn't call it. There were a lot of little interference penalties that can go either way and I couldn't care less about those but that check on Bell when the puck was at the point directly led to the 2nd goal as he's the point blocker. Sharks easily committed the most penalties tonight but that botched play to go along with the undisciplined aggressiveness of the Sharks allowed the Oilers to win tonight. There were some ticky-tack penalties on the Sharks. Niemenen's check on Hemsky, Ehrhoff's hook on Lupul, Doug Murray's hold, and Josh Gorges' push on Ryan Smyth. All of those penalties could've gone either way but if you call those, you have to pull the leash on some of the interferences that the Oil got away with and the unsportsmanlike conduct of Roloson after that Cheechoo goal.

Refs are going to screw up and I accept that and they did tonight but if you look at the whole body of work, the Sharks' lack of discipline ended up losing them this game tonight.
No we lost because Ehrhoff hit the post on a shot that Roloson had zero chance on, Thornton had an empty net with the puck in his skates and Roloson had just enough time to get over, and Marleau had an empty net and the puck caught the very top of Roloson's flailing pad and deflected just over the crossbar. When you outchance a team by that much and lose by one goal it's pretty unlucky.

Oh and, beside all the calls and non calls mentioned, what POSSIBLE explanation is there for the referee putting his arm up and pointing to the penalty box when Roloson lost it after the Sharks' 2nd goal, and then not giving a penalty?

Quote:
I watched the game on Center Ice and it was the Sharks broadcast and i cant tell you that the reason why Shark fans are pissed is because McSorley bad mouthed the refs every time he spoke. Hahn even said the all the penalties to the Sharks were correct but he wished it would be more even. Well, hello!? The Oilers did nothing through the first two periods to deserve a penalty so there should not be anything wrong with what Brad Watson called. The puck that wasn't covered and the whistle blew anyway? Watson lost sight of the puck and all refs are instructed to blow the play dead when that happens so nothing wrong about that. McSorley is why your pissed.

End of Discussion.
When you make an argument like this, then quickly follow it with "END OF DISCUSSION" even when you know it won't be the last post in the thread, it gives the impression that you lack confidence in your position and want to persuade "neutral" people to disregard any further responders, lest they call you out on something in your post.

DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:36 AM
DougKnowsBest

im not big on blaming officials either. But the fact that i know the names and faces of 3 or 4 refs tells me something is wrong. I dont normally treat refs like individuals. I use to look at them as the same person. But this year it has been impossible for me not to notice a couple guys. I dont pay specific attention to the refs, i prefer watching my team. However this year it seems as though the refs are interjecting themselves more into the game

you got your home ice advantage

and this year teams seems to have officiating advantages also for no paticilar reason.

i also turn my eye of criticism to the war room in toronto.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
tgerace23

How you can allow 2 goals to be scored on the same penalty and still ref in THE MOST ELITE LEAGUE IN THE WORLD as they like to call it blows my mind.

Given the Sharks did win by 3 points. It pretty apparent in most games you play the 2 quick goals changes the game.

Hell the couldnt even post the box score because the computer wouldnt accept 2 PP goals on the same penalty.

Gimme a break this dude has to go.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
ON january 3rd...... Brad watson and Mick MAGOO..... reffed the Vancouver dallas game...
That should be illegal.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:35 AM
3mta3

ANYtime that an official makes a call so bad that they cannot get it into the league's computer and the box scores are delayed for hours after the game while they try to figure out how to do it means you are the worst.

2 power play goals on a minor penalty. Yes folks, I will say it again - 2 power play goals on a minor penalty. All because of the officiating. He even skated to the benches and told them it was a "new rule". They let the Shark out and kept the Jacket in the box. If I were the Jackets I would file kidnapping charges against the guy!

This leads into the further conversation of how diseased an organization is with 2 on ice refs, linesmen, off ice officials in the arena and the league watching and no one can step until after the fact to say sorry. Brad Watson and his ilk are poisoning the game. I know it sounds over the top, but the league has hit a new low.

I admire the tenacity they have shown in continuing to make the calls and enforce the rule crackdown but they have lost control of the guys with the whistles enough that I can barely stomach watching the sport now.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:42 AM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post
It's pretty much bad across the board this season. Watson, Koharski, Leggo, etc, etc. As bad as Watson screwed the Jackets in SJ, I still hate Koharski more.
Agreed. That weasel-faced crackhead puts more people in the klink than Elliot Ness. Has the most wishy-washy standards for interference EVER.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

i hope they dont make these soft call in the playoffs..i hope they just let these guys play

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:49 AM
anteater90

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3ryder View Post
Why don't you ask Columbus fans if Sharks fans are the only ones that have a problem with Watson? Don't single Sharks fans out without knowing the whole story.
Jackets Fane Here

When we have 2 goals scored on the same powerplay, the same 2 minute minor we will gladly complain. I dont even think announcers could bias that one. 2 frickin goals on the same powerplay. The computer could not reconcile the goals and they had to write it in by hand. THe refs , the off ice officials and our favorite war room in Toronto all screwed us. We have the market cornered on vasoline.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brad Watson has become the worst referee in hockey
Barring Mick McGoo and Kerry Fraser making a murder-suicide love pact that's not possible.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:21 AM
TeMoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
When you make an argument like this, then quickly follow it with "END OF DISCUSSION" even when you know it won't be the last post in the thread, it gives the impression that you lack confidence in your position and want to persuade "neutral" people to disregard any further responders, lest they call you out on something in your post.
No when i say "End of Discussion" it lets other people know that everything after this, posted by Sharks fans, is just *****ing.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote