HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Crosby will be...

View Poll Results: How good Crosby will be in NHL?
As good as Gretzky or Lemieux. 36 15.93%
A superstar like Jarg, Forsberg (not like the 66 or 99) 137 60.62%
A good points producer like Naslund, Mogilny ect. 41 18.14%
an average player. 12 5.31%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 02:06 AM
V for Voodoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc
Crosby will be... .
..17 years old in 9 months. That's my final answer.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:31 AM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Pat Falloon, Alexander Daigle, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby...I think you'll see the pattern here...
Each player is progressively better, starting with bust, up to superstar?

Old
12-09-2003, 04:25 AM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
I was thinking more of a massive overhyped junior star who broke all records in juniors, was branded as The Next One, was drafted very high, was expected to be the franchise player of the team etc.

So far all have failed...
That was my first guess, but then i thought, it couldnt be, because last i checked Spezza is only 20, having a good start to his career, and could very well end up as a 'franchise player'. But nice try.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:31 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skariya18
Ok, who else chose "average" like me? C'mon, 3 more of you out there!
lol

Old
12-09-2003, 02:20 PM
slyc

Quote:
I guess I'm just trying to tell you people that I'm sick & tired of all these Crosby threads popping up like mushrooms after rain whenever he scores a goal or blows a pimple.
Poor DieHard, this is just a start. Poeple gonna talk about him more and more...

Old
12-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
That was my first guess, but then i thought, it couldnt be, because last i checked Spezza is only 20, having a good start to his career, and could very well end up as a 'franchise player'. But nice try.
Joe Thornton was regarded as a "bust" the first couple years of his career too. But was only 18 and had to learn the NHL game. Would anyone call Joe a bust now??? Thornton is the cornerstone of the Bruins franchise, just like this kid will someday be. (although I think Ovechkin will be better )

Old
12-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Poor choice of words, what I meant was that "so far they haven't achieved anything".

Pat Falloon was massively hyped - he was going to be the next one etc. Alexander Daigle was massively hyped - 1st overall pick who was going to break Gretzky's records etc.
Jason Spezza was massively hyped - so far he hasn't shown anything that he will be even a so-called superstar, let alone a megastar like Gretzky or Lemieux.

My point? Every 3-4 years there will be a new 'Falloon' or 'Daigle' who's supposedly the best player anyone has ever seen and who's going to be The Next One etc after dominating in the junior leagues. Crosby is playing against other JUNIORS who are in various stages on the long road to adulthood, only when he's playing against grown men his true abilities will be seen. At this point there's ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER showing he's any different compared to Falloon or Daigle.

Note: I'm not saying that Crosby won't be good or even great, he could very well become a star player in the NHL. But to claim he will be as good or god forbid even better than Gretzky is nothing short of absurd stupidity & ignorance.

I guess I'm just trying to tell you people that I'm sick & tired of all these Crosby threads popping up like mushrooms after rain whenever he scores a goal or blows a pimple.
At this point there's ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER showing he's any different compared to Gretzky or Lemieux. Unless you have a time machine I don't know about; YOU ARE JUST AS IGNORANT ABOUT THE FUTURE AS THE REST OF US MORTALS!

Old
12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Frolov

I chose Naslund esqu.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
daver

Quote:
Poor choice of words, what I meant was that "so far they haven't achieved anything".

Pat Falloon was massively hyped - he was going to be the next one etc. Alexander Daigle was massively hyped - 1st overall pick who was going to break Gretzky's records etc.
Jason Spezza was massively hyped - so far he hasn't shown anything that he will be even a so-called superstar, let alone a megastar like Gretzky or Lemieux.

My point? Every 3-4 years there will be a new 'Falloon' or 'Daigle' who's supposedly the best player anyone has ever seen and who's going to be The Next One etc after dominating in the junior leagues. Crosby is playing against other JUNIORS who are in various stages on the long road to adulthood, only when he's playing against grown men his true abilities will be seen. At this point there's ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER showing he's any different compared to Falloon or Daigle.

Note: I'm not saying that Crosby won't be good or even great, he could very well become a star player in the NHL. But to claim he will be as good or god forbid even better than Gretzky is nothing short of absurd stupidity & ignorance.

Why wouldn't he be compared to Gretzky? At this point he is dominating the Q as a 16 year old. This has never been done before. In any of the major junior leagues. The Great One didn't even lead the OHL in scoring at age 16 let alone dominate like Crosby. Is it that far of stretch to talk about the possibilities of what he might do?

Old
12-09-2003, 11:50 PM
skariya18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
At this point there's ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER showing he's any different compared to Gretzky or Lemieux. Unless you have a time machine I don't know about; YOU ARE JUST AS IGNORANT ABOUT THE FUTURE AS THE REST OF US MORTALS!
MORTAL, WHO DARE CALLS THE POSTERS OF THE HFBOARDS MORTAL. BANISHED FROM THESE BOARDS YOU ARE. NOW BE GONE...BE GOOONEEE!!!

Old
03-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Russian_fanatic

What is up with this topic Naslund aint a superstar ? Last time I heard people compare him to one of the best in the league or just as good as naslund ! Stupid topic but I say he will be a superstar !

Old
03-05-2004, 04:08 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Like Jagr or Forsberg or Sakic

Old
03-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
A superstar like Jarg, Forsberg (not like the 66 or 99)

Old
03-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCanuck
Crosby will be 17 next year...

Daigle was tearing it up at this time too. Way too early to tell.
Daigle

Old
03-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Pavel

Until I see another 66 or 99 I wouldn't perdict another Gretzky or Lemieux. Today's game is too different.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Luigi Lemieux

I have yet to see any of our current superstars to show the vision and pure skill that lemieux and gretzky have shown. It's not just a result of the era they played in...they were really that good.

'96 Lemieux has 161 pts...Forsberg, Sakic, both around 120.

As good as these current superstars are...the naslunds, sakics, forsbergs, kovalchuks, they just don't compare to lemieux or gretz.

HOCKEY SENSE is the big difference. Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr saw the game on a different level. It's the truth. Has nothing to do with eras.

For the Crosby question...well all we can do is hope that we have another one of those "higher level" players. It is always a treat to watch someone who is so much better than everyone else.

Old
03-08-2004, 10:37 PM
rticinelli

Send a message via Yahoo to rticinelli
I bit the bullet and said he'll be the next giga star . . . normally I would go with a more conservative view on someone who is only 16 or 17 (which in Crosby's case would likely be a Jagr or Forsberg type player), but it's not too often The Great One himself compares a young guy to himself. Actually, this is the only time if memory serves . . . because of that I had to vote 66/99.

Old
03-08-2004, 11:13 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre
Where's the option for "who gives a damn?"
That's the option of not posting in the thread. You should have exercised that option.

I think that the big differences in great players and less great or just good players is partly the desire. Desire to win, to improve, generally, to do well. Another key thing is health. Hockey sense is also very important. A lot of people can dominate in juniors with their speed and (sometimes it's just speed) not succeed in the slightest at the NHL or sometimes even the AHL level.

Last edited by pavel13: 03-08-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old
03-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Jyssy

Too early to say. He might end up being an avarage player or a great superstar.

Old
03-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87
He will be a superstar for sure. He may not put up Gretzky like numbers but I think he will be as dominent as the Great One.

definitely a superstar.

Update your stats for Crosby

Old
03-10-2004, 07:33 PM
nazzy19o

Send a message via MSN to nazzy19o Send a message via Yahoo to nazzy19o
I might say super star
but hows he able to take physical play?
Will this praise go to his head and prevent him from producing?
I'll have to see his first game before I decide but right now I say superstar.

Closed Thread