HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov offence

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
OlWpgJet

vCash: 500
Markov offence

or lack of offence is what I was wondering about. I thought 50 points was a very attainable point total for him before the season started,now I'm wondering if he will hit 20 points this year. So I'm asking all the Hab fans ,what the heck is wrong with him ,is he been playing hurt or am I out to lunch thinking he is one of the next elite offensive defencemen in the league.

Old
12-02-2003, 02:52 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
The talent is there, but Markov has been weaker ever since Julien came aboard. He really slowed down in the second half of last year, in the offensive depart at least. He still is playing a fine defensive game, though.

Gainey has not had much to say about Andrei, but I feel when Gainey says 'I want to have everyone playing their best before I make moves', he's talking about guys like Markov (and Sundstrom, Kilger, and Ward, too.)

Old
12-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
2003-2004 Canadiens 23 2 5 7

And you wonder if he's gonna score 20 points ? We don't expect Markov to be an elite player , but if he can play like last year we have a good d-man on the hands .

Old
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Skylab

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
2003-2004 Canadiens 23 2 5 7

And you wonder if he's gonna score 20 points ?
Since he's only on pace for 25, I don't think wondering if he'll hit 20 this year is that strange of a question.

Old
12-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab
Since he's only on pace for 25, I don't think wondering if he'll hit 20 this year is that strange of a question.
Markov has said he doesn't care about his scoring right now as he's concentrating on learning the new defensive system (which to his defense, has made the team better in goals against but poorer in goals for). Everyone that knows Markov will tell you he's no fluke. Too much talent and hockey smarts (as well as a will to work and accept punishment) to be one. Last thing, he lost a bit of PP time to Souray, as Sheldon surprised everyone with his strong PP QBing with already 8 goals (3 during PP). Markov's confidence looked at a bottom low not long ago but since he scored his 2nd goal, he's playing better every game. Got 2 assists tonight and is not that far from last year's production considering at this point he had also 2 goals and 11 points I beleive. He now has 9 points. I'm not worrying at all as he's playing very well right now. Production will rise I'm pretty sure about that.

Last edited by Munchausen: 12-02-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old
12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Markov has been playing well and considering alot of players really don't know what their future roles are going to be PLUS Souray lighting it up I think him saying he is playing a more defensive system makes sense.

He has experience and he can use the body. If he plays a continued good solid defensive game and offence would be a bonus.

This is a team sport and I think Montreal is starting to play like a team.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Skylab

Yep, I totally agree that Markov is too good to not start getting more points (and that points are not the only part of the game)
I for one certainly have no doubt that Markov is considerably better offensively then a 20 or 25 or even 30 point guy
my post was not trying to imply that I think he's only a 20 point d-man; instead i was suggesting that OlWpgJet's question seemed reasonable and I wasn't sure why Jozeph_Balej was so surprised by it...

Old
12-03-2003, 06:53 AM
goalchenyuk

also , since the canadians traded Petrov last year , he don't have any russian team player to speak with : Petrov was his best friend ,and considering that he 's still not confortable with the english , the guy is alone most of the time .may be that 's something that disturb him a little bit

Old
12-03-2003, 07:29 AM
habsfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
also , since the canadians traded Petrov last year , he don't have any russian team player to speak with : Petrov was his best friend ,and considering that he 's still not confortable with the english , the guy is alone most of the time .may be that 's something that disturb him a little bit
he has been here for a while now, hopefully that's not the problem
I remember last season he got to training camp talking english to coaches, they were very impressed because he had worked on it the summer before

the talent is obviously there, he's quick, agile, strong on the puck
hopefully he'll start getting some points because we could use them from him

Old
12-03-2003, 05:06 PM
OlWpgJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan19
he has been here for a while now, hopefully that's not the problem
I remember last season he got to training camp talking english to coaches, they were very impressed because he had worked on it the summer before

the talent is obviously there, he's quick, agile, strong on the puck
hopefully he'll start getting some points because we could use them from him

I think his upside is about where Sergei Gonchar is but time will tell.

Closed Thread