HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT (sorta): BECKHAM TO THE GALAXY

Old
01-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
I'll be the first one to be happy if soccer in the US will become a major sport, but signing Beckham will likely means more paparazzis at LA's parties than more fans in the stands.

Just my .2
Can there be anymore reporters at any L.A. party?

I really think this is going to boom Galaxy season seats. And the league attendance is going to go up. This is like Gretzky.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Correct if I'm wrong, but the first one who posted an arrogant statement wasn't me:

I'll be the first one to be happy if soccer in the US will become a major sport, but signing Beckham will likely means more paparazzis at LA's parties than more fans in the stands.

Just my .2
Agreed! Soccer will never break the wall down in the states. Regardless of this signing. Beckham is one of the most overrated soccer players of all time. Just ask Georgie Best.
Funny thing is they have a poll on Yahoo and the majority are still saying they won't watch the MLS. This is a huge gamble on AEG's part. One that I think they'll lose.

Although, groupies will now have a new stomping ground.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Nah, not threatened...that's way to much.

Shevchenko's wife is american and wanted to raise their son in England or US so he can learn to speak english, this is what Andryi said when he asked to be traded. But the rumor was around even before the request became official, so it happened that a couple fans who met her downtown Milan weren't very kind with her, but they only said "You B1tch, you're taking him away from Milan"...

This is the official version of why Shevchenko wanted to leave Milan. But there's another rumor going around here in the past few months, and I have a friend of mine who works in the fashion world who confirmed it. Btw, Sheva is a very close friend of Armani (They opened together a shop in Kiev), and the legend says Kirsten one day found his husband sleeping with an Armani's model (a guy). So she forced him to move to London or she would have told the media about it. Honestly I don't give a S about this story, I'm only disappointed with Andryi for leaving the way he did.

He could have said "Hey, he (Abrahmovich) will give me a ton of Euro and I want to play for another team". I wouldn't be happy as well, but still better than "My wife is the boss and I have to do what she wants". It's not that in Milan there'are not international schools to teach english to your kids...

So basically Shevchenko is the Pronger of the soccer world.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
trench23

MLS is doing the right thing trying to get themselves on the map in the US.. whether it works or not is yet to be seen, but already most of the sport world is tlaking about it.. publicity, good or bad, is still publicity.. just think if they can actually put a winning team on the field, and make it through the playoffs-- the mainstream media will eat it up...

Its a noble effort, whether it works or not, eh.. i know i wont be watching.

--------------------------------------------------------------
www.bleeckerandsullivan.com

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section323 View Post
Does being Italian give you some special insight into the game?
The game of... women!

01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Face Wash

I have my two #14 Arsenal Jerseys and I'm waiting to see if Becks goes back #7. Also hoping the Galaxy redesign that AWFUL looking jersey.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think they should rename the Galaxy to the LA Spice Boys.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Section323

Quote:
Correct if I'm wrong, but the first one who posted an arrogant statement wasn't me:

Just my .2
No, I don't think it was an arrogant statement, more of an angry one if you so desire. I had an earful during the entire month I was in Germany this summer and perhaps I took your Roenick remark the wrong way.

Section323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Section323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
Agreed! Soccer will never break the wall down in the states. Regardless of this signing. Beckham is one of the most overrated soccer players of all time. Just ask Georgie Best.
Funny thing is they have a poll on Yahoo and the majority are still saying they won't watch the MLS. This is a huge gamble on AEG's part. One that I think they'll lose.

Although, groupies will now have a new stomping ground.
Agreed on Beckham being overrated but the MLS is not La Liga, Serie A, the EPL, the Bundesliga, or League 1 in France. He'll be a star in the MLS simply because of the lack of skilled players.

I'd like to ask George Best but he's dead. Incidentally, he used to have a pub in Hermosa Beach called "Besties".

I talked to the Galaxy FO about noon today and they claimed that they had already sold over 1,00 new season seats just this morning. Even if it is a slightly inflated number, that's bad considering that the season ticket holder base is probably no more than 3,000, and the stadium only holds about 28,000.

Ah well, enough of this. I'm off to watch the Anze, DB, Fro, & Pushy show hopefully earn the Kings a win over the Guppies tonight

Section323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section323 View Post
Agreed on Beckham being overrated but the MLS is not La Liga, Serie A, the EPL, the Bundesliga, or League 1 in France. He'll be a star in the MLS simply because of the lack of skilled players.

I'd like to ask George Best but he's dead. Incidentally, he used to have a pub in Hermosa Beach called "Besties".

I talked to the Galaxy FO about noon today and they claimed that they had already sold over 1,00 new season seats just this morning. Even if it is a slightly inflated number, that's bad considering that the season ticket holder base is probably no more than 3,000, and the stadium only holds about 28,000.

Ah well, enough of this. I'm off to watch the Anze, DB, Fro, & Pushy show hopefully earn the Kings a win over the Guppies tonight
I re-upped my season seats because of it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

This just makes me wish we had an owner that cared about hockey.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:16 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Beckham is well past his prime. but he will excel in MLS

It actually speaks more to the level of the MLS than the talent of Beckham...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Tadite

This is just a rehash of when we brought Pele over back in the 80's.

It is embarrassing to watch a great player at half is ability.... What is more embarrassing is trying to pretend this is going to help MLS or that this means the league is going to be at some higher level....

MLS was just ignored by international soccer now we are a joke...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:10 PM
zamo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars AEG will make selling Beckham Galaxy jerseys in Europe.
i doubt a lot of europeans will buy galaxy jersey just because of beckham...dont get me wrong..hardcore beckham fans will buy his jerseys....the key market..along with mls...is asia..

beckham isnt worth 250M for 5y...nobody is...but like said..a major part will came from endorsments...about beckham quality..i wont say he sucks..but he isnt an all-star...the big euro clubs wanted him more because of his name..then quality..real for sure..

zamo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
devilinto

How is he past his PRIME. HE IS 31
SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS.
Its alot of money

What do people in LA CARE ABOUT. They dont like hockey or soccer. DAmn all u want is BASKETBALL and ****. They u RIOT in front of the staples center.

DAMN!

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
Its alot of money

What do people in LA CARE ABOUT. They dont like hockey or soccer. DAmn all u want is BASKETBALL and ****. They u RIOT in front of the staples center.

DAMN!
Do you have your period?

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Its alot of money

DAMN!

I guess we're just smarter than people in Toronto!

BTW hockey and soccer are my two favorite sports. You're a bit biased in your views. You probably couldn't name three soccer players other than Beckham, Zidane and Ronaldinho.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Cocomero*

Quote:
Its alot of money

DAMN!
Do you even watch soccer? Here's a breakdown of what Beckham has done in the last 3 years, theres a reason why many on this years England team hated him.

-Did nothing for Real Madrid.
-Did nothing for England.
-Shunned Man U fans to get a bigger contract with Real Madrid basically giving England a FU.
-The guy shows no passion and for him to sign with LA of all teams shows that he's only interested in the Fame. He had a choice to sign with Serie A AC Milan but the jackass didn't.

He ****ed England, He ****ed Europe. He screwed all the fans.

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckie View Post
He ****ed England, He ****ed Europe. He screwed all the fans.

I agree. I'm not sure about the last part though. Don't think he screwed the fans all that much. He just got old.

Guy is a circus act now.... not a soccer player.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 11:12 PM
devilinto

Whatever. You guys are right.

I was born in canada but my parents are from portugal. I grew up with baseball, hockey and soccer.

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I agree. I'm not sure about the last part though. Don't think he screwed the fans all that much. He just got old.

Guy is a circus act now.... not a soccer player.
I'll bet his "circus act" makes Donovan's "chicken**** act" a hell of a lot better over the next many years. (Prima)donovan should thank Beckham... Landon might actually get to make more than his clearly overpaid *** already makes (about $1 mil).

Beckham plays with pace, sees the pitch well and is a terror on Free Kicks. Not to shabby on crosses, just ask Peter Crouch.

To say he screwed England is a joke. Sven screwed England! They misused Beckham for years. Why doesn't Michael Owen get any blame, why doesn't Rooney get to take any hell for England's performance. God forbid Ashley Cole takes any blame. All played poorly in the last WC and all should be viewed as English Screw ups.

Last edited by Face Wash: 01-13-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:50 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Can there be anymore reporters at any L.A. party?

I really think this is going to boom Galaxy season seats. And the league attendance is going to go up. This is like Gretzky.
Did you ever see Gretzky play? This is an insulting statement and this siging is an insult to me as a longtime King fan. For years we have passed on big time UFA's, have been told guys like Blake and Schneider were too expensive and traded away for garbage. If this Anschutz clown put any time at all into the Kings he may actually attempt at trying to help them win. Instead, we are rewarded with aging ex-Kings signings and Derek Armstrong on the PP. On the other hand Posh Spice was always my favorite Spice Girl, I hope they get back together and make this MLS thing work. I liked playing soccer alot-when I was 9 and didn't know what hockey was.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Sanders81

Beckham earns the majority of his money off the field. That's why Real Madrid bought him back then, and it paid off multiple times. He was/is one of the biggest marketing successes in sports ever...

You don't buy a player like Beckham solely for his skills on the field, you'd have to overpay them. Like someone before me mentioned, he is huge in asia (and elsewhere, too, of course), and that in it self is reason enough to pay whatever amount of money to get him to play for you. It will pay back till the last dime soon, and everything beyond that is profit.

Sanders81 is offline   Reply With Quote