Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kharlamov jersey from 1980 Olympics

Old
01-15-2015, 12:55 PM
SidTheKid87

vCash: 500
Kharlamov jersey from 1980 Olympics

I'm curious about Valeri Kharlamov's jersey from the 1980 Olympics. The name on the back is spelled "CHARLAMOV." Can anyone tell me why? I just ordered his biopic on DVD, was looking at some photos and curiosity got the best of me. Thanks!

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
GlobeHockey

Interesting..you do learn something new everyday. Lol.

GlobeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid87 View Post
I'm curious about Valeri Kharlamov's jersey from the 1980 Olympics. The name on the back is spelled "CHARLAMOV." Can anyone tell me why? I just ordered his biopic on DVD, was looking at some photos and curiosity got the best of me. Thanks!
Well it's the latin letters. No spelling with latin letters is correct technically. However you put it, it doesn't match the cyrillic 100%. So there are always various spellings of russian names with latin letters. Nothing super special here. You'd have to research what the rules by the IIHF or the IOC were in this regard. Maybe they had to put it as in his passport and the spelling in soviet passports(as wel as in the russian ones now) was just a product of a transcription by some person issuing the passport. They've had their rules(for example for a time the names would be spelled like in French, so you'd see a "ch" for a "ш" which matches the english "sh"), but they weren't a precise science too and those rules changed. The bureaucracy thrives on making ever so insignificant changes to pretend to be at work.

So that spelling is not something totally off the chart.

Last edited by Atas2000: 01-16-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2015, 09:35 AM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Well it's the latin letters. No spelling with latin letters is correct technically. However you put it, it doesn't match the cyrillic 100%. So there are always various spellings of russian names with latin latters. Nothing super special here. You'd have to research what the rules by the IIHF or the IOC were in this regard. Maybe theyhad to put it as in his passport and the spelling in soviet passports(as wel as in the russian ones now) was just a product of a transcription by some person issuing the passport. They've had their rules(for example for a time the names would be spelled like in French, so you'd see a "ch" for a "ш" which mathes the english "sh"), but they weren't an precise science too and those rules changed. The bureaucracy thrives on making ever so insignificant changes to pretend to be at work.

So that spelling is not something totally off the chart.
Ah, thanks!

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote