HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top 10 Russian hockey players all-time(link)

Old
05-15-2010, 09:34 AM
TheNextOneX

vCash: 500
Here's mine.

1)Vyacheslav Arkadevich "Slava" Bykov
2)Andrei Khomutov
3)Sergei Makarov
4)Vsevolod Bobrov
5)Vladimir Krutov
6)Viacheslav Fetisov
7)Boris Mikhailov
8)Valeri Kamensky
9)Vladimir Petrov
10)Valery Kharlamov

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
my list:

1) Valery Kharlamov
2) Vladislav Tretiak
3) Sergei Makarov
4) Viacheslav Fetisov
5) Boris Mikhailov
6) Anatoli Firsov
7) Vladimir Petrov
8) Aleksandr Maltsev
9) Vsevolod Bobrov
10) Pavel Bure

Ovechkin & Malkin both have the potential to make this list imo.
My top 50. I will leave off the younger generation players such as Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk.

1. Mikhailov
2. Fetisov
3. Kharlamov
4. Krutov
5. Makarov
6. Petrov
7. Kasatonov
8. Maltsev
9. Firsov
10. Starshinov

11. Tretiak
12. Fedorov
13. Kapustin
14. Bobrov
15. Bure
16. Zubov
17. Tsygankov
18. Yakushev
19. Alexandrov
20. Bilyaletdinov

22. Khomutov
23. Shadrin
25. Bykov
26. Shalimov
27. Luchenko
28. Mogilny
29. Ragulin
30. Kuzkin

31. Almetov
32. Loktev
33. Kamensky
34. Pervukhin
35. Sologubov
36. Davydov
37. Zhluktov
38. Kovalev
39. Zhamnov
40. Konstantinov

41. Malakhov
42. Balderis
43. Babinov
44. Drozdetsky
45. Khabibulin
46. A.Yashin
47. V.Golikov
48. Lebedev
49. Y.Fedorov
50. Gonchar

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Peter25

Valeri Vasilyev should of course be somewhere in 10-15 on that list.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:23 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
My top 50. I will leave off the younger generation players such as Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk.

1. Mikhailov
2. Fetisov
3. Kharlamov
4. Krutov
5. Makarov
6. Petrov
7. Kasatonov
8. Maltsev
9. Firsov
10. Starshinov

Top 50 ? no Larionov ?!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:49 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
Top 50 ? no Larionov ?!
Larionov was the weakest forward on that line, but if you exclude him and include Kasatanov...

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
MaxV

I also have a problem with Krutov over Makarov.

Don't get me wrong Krutov was great, but Makarov was spectacular.

Makarov was the most explosive Russian player of his generation and top 5 in the world at that time.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:17 AM
VMBM

Well, I guess one shouldn't criticize too much when someone makes an effort to list 50 players, BUT...

Krutov over Makarov? Kasatonov #7? Kapustin #13? Balderis #42?

And where's Vasiliev? (I'm pretty sure you simply forgot him, though)

You don't even need to list the reasons why Makarov was better than Krutov or that Kasatonov doesn't belong to top 10 - or even top 20. Let's talk about Balderis instead. He wasn't Russian per se, but since he's on the list...
I suspect that Balderis is so low since his international career was a bit on/off nature (mostly due to his stormy relationship with Tikhonov I believe). Still, he has a claim to be the best/most dangerous Soviet forward of the late Seventies, even though I prefer Mikhailov and Petrov myself (not nearly as flashy but more important players to the team IMO).

It's interesting that Peter25 has chosen Kapustin (clearly) and even Zhluktov over Balderis, as these 3 of course formed USSR/CSKA's feared 2nd line in the late '70s, and they sometimes rivaled and even outperformed the MPK line (1978 WC comes to mind). However, I think it was universally seen that Balderis was THE offensive star of that line. Kapustin (I love his skating!) might beat him career-wise, though (national team). Zhluktov just played longer in the Team USSR - nothing else.

I'm one of the biggest Mikhailov fans, but having him #1 is a bit of a scretch. The biggest problem for me is that in my opinion, compared to Firsov, Kharlamov and Makarov for example, he needed good playmakers around him (more), whereas the aforementioned guys could often create their own scoring chances. Hockey is a team sport, but at least for me, when making all-time lists, it's the individual skills that play even a bigger role than normally.

I'll give it a shot myself:

1. Fetisov
2. Firsovš
3. Kharlamov
4. Makarov
5. Tretiak
6. Mikhailov
7. Maltsev
8. Petrov
9. Bobrov
10. Vasiliev

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
nzdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Here's my personal top 10:

1. Tretiak.....Top 5 goaltender of all time. Period.
2. Kharlamov....His skills were Light Years ahead of his time, by any standards.
3. Fetisov....Arguably the best D-Man of his time (post-Orr).
4. Firsov....A player with a physical style, who also had great skills. One of the hardest shooters in the history of hockey.
5. Makarov....A VERY underrated player. A lot of people forget that he played in the NHL also, and played VERY well. One of the best forwards of his time, and he played in the same time as Lemieux, Gretzky and Messier. He could very well be the most talented Russian player of all time (he was bigger then Kharlamov and faster then Firsov).
6. Vasiliev....Another VERY underrated player, who was also a great one. He was an EXCELLENT all-around D-man.
7. Bobrov....The first Russian superstar. Perhaps, he's too low on my list, as he was a great player in his own right. A 2-sport athlete who was also one of the best Russian soccer players of all time.
8. Maltsev....Another one who seems to be kinda low on this list. Throughout his career he's been overshadowed by other great Russian players, but he too had GREAT ability.
9. Mikhailov....He wasn't as flashy as some other Russian forwards, but he could very well be the most accomplished of them. All-time Soviet scoring leader, his physical style of play reminded many of NHL players more so then other Russian forwards of his time.
10. Larionov....This one accomplished almost everything there is to accomplish in hockey. World Championships: Check. Olympic Gold: Check. Long and productive NHL career: Check. Stanley Cups: Check.

#10 was a tough decision, as I think a case could be made for Fedorov, Bure and Krutov.

I hope someday Ovechkin, Malkin and other young Russians could be mentioned on this list.
Regarding the #10 pick. I would personally pick Fedorov over Larionov. Igor is a good choice, but I would put Sergei over him any day (higher than 10th as well).

Talking about younsters, Alex Ovechkin will be in the list, few more years and he will be over 1000 points. What he really needs to cement himself in top5 is THE CUP

nzdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
MaxV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdiver View Post
Regarding the #10 pick. I would personally pick Fedorov over Larionov. Igor is a good choice, but I would put Sergei over him any day (higher than 10th as well).

Talking about younsters, Alex Ovechkin will be in the list, few more years and he will be over 1000 points. What he really needs to cement himself in top5 is THE CUP
Well, Larionov vs. Fedorov is a very good argument.

Yes, during their time in Detroit, Feds was MUCH better, but those weren't Igor's best years.

I would say, judging by their peaks, you are right, Feds was better. But Feds' peak didn't last long. Krutov's peak was better also then Larionov, but again Igor certainly has longevity on his side.

If I had to do this list over again right now, it might be a bit different.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:12 AM
RussianHockey96

Top 10 forwards all time imo.

1 - Bure
2 - Kharlamov
3 - Maltsev
4 - Makarov
5 - Mikhailov
6 - Petrov
7 - Fedorov
8 - Mogilny
9 - Firsov
10 - Bobrov

RussianHockey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:43 AM
RussianHockey96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post

1. Mikhailov
2. Fetisov
3. Kharlamov
4. Krutov
5. Makarov
6. Petrov
7. Kasatonov
8. Maltsev
9. Firsov
10. Starshinov

11. Tretiak
12. Fedorov
13. Kapustin
14. Bobrov
15. Bure
16. Zubov
17. Tsygankov
18. Yakushev
19. Alexandrov
20. Bilyaletdinov

22. Khomutov
23. Shadrin
25. Bykov
26. Shalimov
27. Luchenko
28. Mogilny
29. Ragulin
30. Kuzkin

31. Almetov
32. Loktev
33. Kamensky
34. Pervukhin
35. Sologubov
36. Davydov
37. Zhluktov
38. Kovalev
39. Zhamnov
40. Konstantinov

41. Malakhov
42. Balderis
43. Babinov
44. Drozdetsky
45. Khabibulin
46. A.Yashin
47. V.Golikov
48. Lebedev
49. Y.Fedorov
50. Gonchar
Tretiak 11th? Bure 15th? Mogilny 28th? No Larionov? Yikes

RussianHockey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Nicky Santoro

Bump.

Hi, i'd like to ask any Russians here on this board 2 questions pls?

1- I know soccer is big in Russia, but is it really way bigger than hockey? is it close or not really close..

2- Who is the most famous Russian hockey player in Russia who fans love the most.. Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk?? or even Chara, not sure though if he is considered a Russian..

i've always wondered this. my guess would be Ovy because he is a character and a 50 goal scorer. but so tough to beat Malkin who is great and Datsyuk who is unreal. can't wait to hear the answer.

thanks

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Caser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
Bump.

Hi, i'd like to ask any Russians here on this board 2 questions pls?

1- I know soccer is big in Russia, but is it really way bigger than hockey? is it close or not really close..

2- Who is the most famous Russian hockey player in Russia who fans love the most.. Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk?? or even Chara, not sure though if he is considered a Russian..

i've always wondered this. my guess would be Ovy because he is a character and a 50 goal scorer. but so tough to beat Malkin who is great and Datsyuk who is unreal. can't wait to hear the answer.

thanks
1. I would say soccer is actually bigger in terms of popularity, but it is close. In terms of kids choosing the sport, soccer is much bigger, because it almost doesn't need any special equipment/rinks and also because we still desperately need more rinks (there's quite a lot of big towns where you basically can't find any rinks at all)

2. If we are talking about fans who really follow hockey, then Datsyuk is being deservingly adored. If talking about the "fans", who are just turning the TV on to see Russia NT once a year at WC/Olympics, then Ovi is a face of the "franchise".

Chara? The fact that he is as big as a bear doesn't make him Russian, you know

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Nicky Santoro

thanks so much, caser. i tried to google this question and could never get it. then i remembered this board. i live in a building here in mtl with 95% russians, and i've asked 4 guys this question in the elevator and i thought they were going to stab me. they looked like they had no interest in sports and didn't speak much english.

i am glad hockey is almost as popular watching as soccer. i am in a bit of a shock datsyuk is the most popular cause he's not an outgoing player. very quiet, unlike ovi who is charismatic and controversial. i really hope russians in russia follow the NHL russians and are interested in the sc finals, etc.

also, i would have easily put my money on Malkin over Datsyuk because he plays with sid and is sooooo amazing, too.

thanks again.

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote