HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Way OT: David Beckham Contract

Old
01-13-2007, 07:19 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
it wont

the contract is loaded for beck Marketing rights world wide

what make is a joke is the fact no good team in Europe wanted the guy anymore

madrid was trying to move him but nobody wanted him
Well that's nonsense for starters.

Madrid offered him a new contract. He turned it down as it wasn't as good as what he was offered elsewhere. I know that Newcastle, Liverpool and Everton offered him a contract too, and Man Utd and Arsenal were thinking about it. He was offered contracts in Italy, Spain and Germany too.

To say nobody wants him is rubbish man. Behave.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:26 AM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Case in point - Nascar dominates auto racing in the US - F1 is much bigger worldwide but has been a complete failure in the US. CART and IMSA were good for years but faded away.
I think the reason Americans prefer NASCAR over F1 is they find the F1 TRACKS confusing

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I think the reason Americans prefer NASCAR over F1 is they find the F1 TRACKS confusing
I'll actually watch F1 if it's on. I might tune into Nascar 4 times a team. F1 is much better.

I'll tell ya though, I'd like some of those people who run Nascar, to be part of the NHL. Talk about something from nothing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:36 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Beckham is the most overrated soccer player in the world.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I am one of the biggest soccer fans around, especially in my area. I have a group of friends and all we talk about is overseas soccer, including Serie A and Premier teams. We had a field day with this Beckham stuff the other day at work. I'm a bartender at a restaurant, and I ALWAYS make sure one of the TV's is tuned to GOL TV, which is a non-stop soccer action channel. You should see some of these games -- impressive stuff.

To answer some of those "questions" you guys have:

How can you be excited by a 0-0 game?
-- Easy. It's like watching an 0-0 game in the NHL playoffs, except the crowd is just as rabid for a normal game. Those of us who hate the new NHL know EXACTLY what I'm talking about with this 0-0 type game. The intensity is so much more involved in the outcome and it keeps you on edge.

How can you have a goal as big as *insert Bettman's name and a body part like head, buttocks* and not score?
-- Have you seen goaltenders? Have you seen defense? Think of the neutral zone trap in hockey, then imagine double the amount of defensive players (around 8-10), plus attacking players (6-8), incredibly active and physically fit goaltenders and players, all bunched in a zone about 1/4 the size of the whole field. If you see goals in this type of formation, its because it was fluky, or the passing/control game was off the ****ing charts. THOSE are the types of goals that make me jump in the middle of my bartending shift.

Somebody also mentioned rivalries. There are riots in towns for winning and losing against certain teams. Huge riots -- not necessarilly violent, but definately mass amounts of people in one small area. Does the NHL have that? I LOOOOOOOVE hockey, almost as much as soccer, and I consider myself a little odd because I do like what most people consider "second-tier" sports. But these aren't second tier sports, they're the best around.

If you get a chance, try and find a replay of the Barcelona game from a few weeks back, where R kicked in the nastiest goal I've seen in awhile. Soccer is so great because your on the edge for the entire game, and something spectacular can happen. It might not be your cup of tea, but just like you would recommend the NHL to someone because you love it so much, I would recommend soccer. It might take some watching and understanding, but if you do it long enough, you'll see how intense and amazing the sport can be.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:07 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaMan21 View Post
The thing is he is a big name and he speaks english(which both are important for a league that is basically using him as a marketing tool)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
I am one of the biggest soccer fans around, especially in my area. I have a group of friends and all we talk about is overseas soccer, including Serie A and Premier teams. We had a field day with this Beckham stuff the other day at work. I'm a bartender at a restaurant, and I ALWAYS make sure one of the TV's is tuned to GOL TV, which is a non-stop soccer action channel. You should see some of these games -- impressive stuff.
Good to hear it's getting there over the pond.

Quote:
To answer some of those "questions" you guys have:

How can you be excited by a 0-0 game?
-- Easy. It's like watching an 0-0 game in the NHL playoffs, except the crowd is just as rabid for a normal game. Those of us who hate the new NHL know EXACTLY what I'm talking about with this 0-0 type game. The intensity is so much more involved in the outcome and it keeps you on edge.
Well, to add to this, you don't always enjoy a 0-0, just like you don't enjoy every game of hockey. I've seen 0-0 games be more exciting than a 2-2 or even one 3-3 game, goals help but a game doesn't need them to be exciting.

Quote:
How can you have a goal as big as *insert Bettman's name and a body part like head, buttocks* and not score?
-- Have you seen goaltenders? Have you seen defense? Think of the neutral zone trap in hockey, then imagine double the amount of defensive players (around 8-10), plus attacking players (6-8), incredibly active and physically fit goaltenders and players, all bunched in a zone about 1/4 the size of the whole field. If you see goals in this type of formation, its because it was fluky, or the passing/control game was off the ****ing charts. THOSE are the types of goals that make me jump in the middle of my bartending shift.
They're not goaltenders mate! They're goalkeepers, never make that mistake! Basically, the reason it's so damn hard to score is because even from a kick-off, you've got roughly 50 yards to run with 11 players trying to stop you scoring. It's not something you can understand until you've actually played the game.

Quote:
Somebody also mentioned rivalries. There are riots in towns for winning and losing against certain teams. Huge riots -- not necessarilly violent, but definately mass amounts of people in one small area. Does the NHL have that? I LOOOOOOOVE hockey, almost as much as soccer, and I consider myself a little odd because I do like what most people consider "second-tier" sports. But these aren't second tier sports, they're the best around.
I agree, footballing rivalries are celebrated more passionately than any other sport in the world. I'm a huge Nottingham Forest fan and our arch rivals are Derby County. The hatred, respect and anticipation that we feel when we play each other is incredible.

Quote:
If you get a chance, try and find a replay of the Barcelona game from a few weeks back, where R kicked in the nastiest goal I've seen in awhile. Soccer is so great because your on the edge for the entire game, and something spectacular can happen. It might not be your cup of tea, but just like you would recommend the NHL to someone because you love it so much, I would recommend soccer. It might take some watching and understanding, but if you do it long enough, you'll see how intense and amazing the sport can be.
Was that the one with the over-head kick? Phenomenal goal, how he managed to position his body and keep himself in the air to do that was nothing short of incredible. The man's a genius.

Old
01-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaMan21 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense. If anything, over the last 5 years he has been massively under-rated. For whatever reason, McLaren has made him a scapegoat for England's failure in the World Cup and has been dropped. If anyone tries to convince me that Beckham isn't in the top two English right-wingers then you'll be needing a slap.

Beckham is still a very good footballer, he's not worth 500k a week (who is?) by any means but there are many more over-rated players in the world, Wayne Rooney, Carlos Puyol and Pauleta to name but three.

Old
01-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newham View Post

They're not goaltenders mate! They're goalkeepers, never make that mistake! Basically, the reason it's so damn hard to score is because even from a kick-off, you've got roughly 50 yards to run with 11 players trying to stop you scoring. It's not something you can understand until you've actually played the game.
Not a big deal, I call them goaltenders because thats just what I'm used to saying on this hockey board. I've been playing soccer for 16 years now, and I've been coaching a YMS U-18 team for 3. I like the terms "keep, net, goalie, goalkeeper, keeper, and sleeper" (i used to call a kid on the opposition this, he used to sit down in the net when his team was on the attack).

Oh boy, just talking about this excites me for the spring, when soccer starts up full time again!

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit View Post
i just dont' understand how you can have a net the size of a bus and have games 0-0.

I don't understand how soccer is like a religion in the rest of the world. Most of the game is spent in mid court by position. Doesn't have the speed or intensity of hockey, really doesn't have the showtime aspect like the NBA, and doesn't have the physicality of football. i'd throw baseball in there but i regard baseball like soccer, can't stand it.

what makes this sport worth watching?
Skill...Out of all the sports you mentioned soccer provides the most technical skill. Soccer also is alot more physical then you think (it's a very rough game)...no equipment to protect you like hockey and football. Soccer players are arguably the most fit athletes of the major sports as well...there is no 1 minute shift then your off for a few. Another reason soccer is really popular is the passion of the fans for the team...the die hards in soccer make us Flyer fans look like pansys.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newham View Post
Complete and utter nonsense. If anything, over the last 5 years he has been massively under-rated. For whatever reason, McLaren has made him a scapegoat for England's failure in the World Cup and has been dropped. If anyone tries to convince me that Beckham isn't in the top two English right-wingers then you'll be needing a slap.

Beckham is still a very good footballer, he's not worth 500k a week (who is?) by any means but there are many more over-rated players in the world, Wayne Rooney, Carlos Puyol and Pauleta to name but three.
While I don't think he is over-rated but he is definetly not under-rated. In his prime one of the UK's best but he is definetly on the down side. He still has the perfect cross and the perfect corners. His free kicks are probablytop 10 (although I like Pirlo myself) but he doesn't have the pace anymore nor the ambition.

I still think he deserves is spot on the English roster but I think McLaren is trying to pay the younger guys more...He's taking over hence he wants to bring in his fresh blood. Like I said I think he still should be in the starting 11 but I think with more playing time Lennon will fill that role rather nicley.

Old
01-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Flyer765

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan View Post
Skill...Out of all the sports you mentioned soccer provides the most technical skill. Soccer also is alot more physical then you think (it's a very rough game)...no equipment to protect you like hockey and football. Soccer players are arguably the most fit athletes of the major sports as well...there is no 1 minute shift then your off for a few. Another reason soccer is really popular is the passion of the fans for the team...the die hards in soccer make us Flyer fans look like pansys.
Try calling it soccer infront of a die hard 'football fan' that should help you look like a pansy. Being English i hate the word soccer by principal because Americans stole our word and made a sport out of it where the ball doesn't touch the foot The rest of your statement however I agree holeheartedly with.

Flyer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer765 View Post
Try calling it soccer infront of a die hard 'football fan' that should help you look like a pansy. Being English i hate the word soccer by principal because Americans stole our word and made a sport out of it where the ball doesn't touch the foot The rest of your statement however I agree holeheartedly with.
In Canada we have enough to do keeping up with two spoken languages, so basically we just go right ahead and use English for literature, Scotch for sermons and American for conversation...

Seeing how this falls into the conversation catagory I must call it soccer.

Old
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
fism

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
The races are decided 3 laps in. It's boring. I went from waking up every saturday and sunday morning to watch qual and the race, to maybe catching the EST races.

fism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Flyer765

Quote:
In Canada we have enough to do keeping up with two spoken languages, so basically we just go right ahead and use English for literature, Scotch for sermons and American for conversation...

Seeing how this falls into the conversation catagory I must call it soccer.
:p

Flyer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
While I don't think he is over-rated but he is definetly not under-rated. In his prime one of the UK's best but he is definetly on the down side. He still has the perfect cross and the perfect corners. His free kicks are probablytop 10 (although I like Pirlo myself) but he doesn't have the pace anymore nor the ambition.

I still think he deserves is spot on the English roster but I think McLaren is trying to pay the younger guys more...He's taking over hence he wants to bring in his fresh blood. Like I said I think he still should be in the starting 11 but I think with more playing time Lennon will fill that role rather nicley.
HE is under-rated, the amount of people in our country who still believe the man is **** is shocking. He certainly is not ****

His crossing is still in the top 1 in the world, as is his passing. His free-kicks aren't and have never been in the top 10 in the world (just watch a game, he needs 10 efforts to get one on target).

The reason he was dropped was not about youth. McLaren came in and many said he would be Sven Mk2. He dropped Beckham to make a point, he was made a scapegoat for Englands failure during the world cup despite being one of our best players there.

Old
01-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by fism View Post
The races are decided 3 laps in. It's boring. I went from waking up every saturday and sunday morning to watch qual and the race, to maybe catching the EST races.
F1 is boring...lol. At least they make a right hand turn once in a while. Americans like Nascar for one reason...the excitment of a crash. How else can you explain why someone would liek to watch someone make a constant left turn for 3 hours.

Old
01-20-2007, 10:51 AM
fism

Quote:
F1 is boring...lol. At least they make a right hand turn once in a while. Americans like Nascar for one reason...the excitment of a crash. How else can you explain why someone would liek to watch someone make a constant left turn for 3 hours.
nascar is a soap opera on wheels. that's why it's popular.

fism is offline   Reply With Quote