HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kocur not a fan of the New NHL

Old
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Kocur not a fan of the New NHL

Quote:
Kocur still popular with area hockey fans
By Chris Marchand
12/29/2006

SAGINAW – Joey Kocur misses being on the road with his Detroit Red Wings’ teammates. But he doesn’t like what the National Hockey League has turned into.
Kocur, who retired from the NHL seven years ago, was one of the most popular members of the Detroit Red Wings during the late 1980s and late 1990s. He teamed with Bob Probert to form one of the most physical – and most penalized – tandem in NHL history.
He says the physical aspect of the game has been taken away by new rule changes.
"I don’t like it," Kocur said. "I don’t like that they’ve taken the toughness out of the game. There’s no accountability on the ice anymore. For some reason, they feel that fighting shouldn’t be part of a nationally televised sport. That’s their choice.
"Everyone goes to NASCAR races to watch the crashes. They go to hockey games to watch the fighting. They’ve taken that away and attendance is down. I think a lot of people are disappointed in the style of the game."
Kocur was in Saginaw on Thursday to sign autographs prior to the Saginaw Spirit game against the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds at the Dow Event Center. Judging by the attendance at the game, Kocur is still popular with the fans.
Kocur is no stranger to Canadian Junior Hockey. He played for the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League from 1982-84. He was a fifth-round draft pick of the Red Wings in 1983.
"I played in Western Canada and it was a war," Kocur said. "There was always tough, tough fighting and it was hard-hitting. You’re still trying to make a name for yourself and make it to the NHL. I’d say we worked a little harder but also you’re a little more desperate. A lot of players get up here and they get a little complacent."
Kocur played for the Wings from 1984-90. He then spent six seasons with the New York Rangers before returning to Detroit for the 1996-97 season.
Including the playoffs, Kocur scored 90 goals and added 184 assists in his career. But his rough and tumble style of play landed him in the penalty box for 2,820 minutes.
"My first coach in junior hockey told me that, to make it in the NHL, you have to do something that you’re the best at," Kocur said. "I only had a few goals and I didn’t have a fight up to that point. He said either play tough or be a goal scorer. I had a couple fights and I enjoyed it and did well at it so it just kind of carried on."
Kocur had plenty of highlights in his career. He played with two of the most popular team captains in hockey history – Steve Yzerman and Mark Messier. He played on three Stanley Cup winning teams, two in Detroit (1997 and 1998) and the New York Rangers (1994).
"With the Red Wings, I was more of a contributing factor," Kocur said. "I was with (Kirk) Maltby and (Kris) Draper. In 1997, our job was to shut down Eric Lindros and the "Legion of Doom." We did a good job of it and it helped us win a Cup."
Kocur also was an assistant coach with the Red Wings when they won the Stanley Cup in 2002.
"I wish that I could have continued on (in coaching)," Kocur said. "But when we were let go with Detroit, I didn’t want to move any more so I decided to get into a new business (in the restaurant/tavern field)."
Kocur thinks that this year’s Red Wings team, despite being near the top of the league, needs some roster moves to be a Stanley Cup contender.
"They’re a very talented hockey team," Kocur said. "Dominik Hasek is playing outstanding right now. But come playoff time, I don’t see that they have enough to reverse what has happened to them in the past. I don’t know if they’re big enough or tough enough for playoff hockey.
"Hopefully management will address it before the trading deadline. I know that they’ve saved money up to sign a few players, but they just have to get more physical."
http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news....d=472541&rfi=6

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:05 PM
JimEIV

I agree

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:07 PM
The Viking Fury

I like fighting but I don't think people go just for the fights, which is what he implies with the NASCAR analogy. Hockey wasn't boxing on ice before the lockout.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hardest hitter of any tough guy... HM's to Twist and Brown

He's spot on about attendance.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
JimEIV

Let me clarify.......I agree that the toughness is gone and there is no accountability on the ice anymore.

Old
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse 4 View Post
Hardest hitter of any tough guy... HM's to Twist and Brown

He's spot on about attendance.
Yup. Kocur had the hardest right hand, Brown the hardest left, IMO.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:14 PM
OntOilFan

And from the "Who cares what this guy thinks" file ...

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
And from the "Who cares what this guy thinks" file ...
i can say the same about you... Who cares what you think.... but thats too easy

Old
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

But he is right on some points.. Hockey dosent have that intensity it had before the lockout... i know im not the only one but does anybody miss those in front of the net wars.... i miss seeing holmstrom get decked by the opposing teams defenseman for trying to screen the goalie

Old
01-11-2007, 03:22 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
i can say the same about you... Who cares what you think.... but thats too easy
And I about you. Thanks for coming out, Hitman.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
And I about you. Thanks for coming out, Hitman.

Old
01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

There is no rule stopping players from finishing checks and good hard forechecking. Carolina won the Cup because they were the hardest working forechecking team in the NHL.

The only difference with this NHL and the old NHL is you cant grab players and hook players.

I have yet to see a penalty called for a guy throwing a hard check.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
But he is right on some points.. Hockey dosent have that intensity it had before the lockout... i know im not the only one but does anybody miss those in front of the net wars.... i miss seeing holmstrom get decked by the opposing teams defenseman for trying to screen the goalie
I think he is right on most of the points. The only thing I disagree with him on is his NASCAR comment and his comment that people only go to watch hockey because of the fights. Most people go to see a hockey game because hockey is intense. Fighting is a huge part of that intensity. Why do people like football so much? because it's intense.

Like you said, when you take those battles in front of the net out of the game the overall intensity goes down. In front of the net was left for few players that could handle the physical pressure. Now anyone can go in front of the net.

Battles in the corners have also been declining as well.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Let me clarify.......I agree that the toughness is gone and there is no accountability on the ice anymore.
Ditto.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Not really too surprising that a former "tough guy"/fighter doesnt like the way the "new" NHL is.I'm sure most former figthers & players feel the same way.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:41 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Okay, the new NHL isn't perfect, but the clogged up rope-a-dope rodeo hockey of bygone days was worse.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

These quotes make me wonder if everyone forgot what the pre-lockout NHL was actually like.

Meichel Kane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

he doesnt like it, because if he was able to play now he wouldnt have a job.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
he doesnt like it, because if he was able to play now he wouldnt have a job.
You mean he would have a job, right?

EDIT: Nevermind I just misunderstood.

Old
01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Not really too surprising that a former "tough guy"/fighter doesnt like the way the "new" NHL is.I'm sure most former figthers & players feel the same way.
I would imagine anyone that played the game by the set of "Unwritten Rules" would feel the same.

There are a lot of guys in the league right now that "run around" and never have to pay the price or answer the bell.....This didn't start with the "New NHL", it has been progressively getting worse since about the early to mid 1990's.

When was the last time you anyone use the term "run-around"....You don't because its acceptable today.

Clutch and Grab hockey was a By-Product of this. There was a time that if you touched the Stars in the wrong way you were going to have to answer to someone....Today that never happens.

I'll stop now cause I can go on forever about how I miss the game that I watched as a kid.

Old
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
I would imagine anyone that played the game by the set of "Unwritten Rules" would feel the same.

There are a lot of guys in the league right now that "run around" and never have to pay the price or answer the bell.....This didn't start with the "New NHL", it has been progressively getting worse since about the early to mid 1990's.

When was the last time you anyone use the term "run-around"....You don't because its acceptable today.

Clutch and Grab hockey was a By-Product of this. There was a time that if you touched the Stars in the wrong way you were going to have to answer to someone....Today that never happens.

I'll stop now cause I can go on forever about how I miss the game that I watched as a kid.
I never got to see that hockey, but most people I ask who grew up watching it talk very highly of it, which disappoints me a lot. I really don't like watching hockey where every 9 seconds there is a penalty for tripping when the player didn't have his stick anywhere that would be possible to trip a player. It's kind of ridiculous.

Old
01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
dylan

Send a message via MSN to dylan
meh, id rather watch the talented players play then the goons out there. i wouldnt mind more physical play but todays game is not as bad as these ex goons make it out to be.

dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

The new NHL is based on finesee now

Old
01-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
The new NHL is based on finesee now
Yea, wussy European style hockey.

Old
01-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
meh, id rather watch the talented players play then the goons out there. i wouldnt mind more physical play but todays game is not as bad as these ex goons make it out to be.
its not about the goons...I wanna see both.. Star players and goons...The new NHL has took all the "unwritten rules" out of hockey... Like going in front of the net ... in the old NHL when you did this you would pay the price.. .Now guys like Daniel Briere can stand in front of the net.. you would never see him around the net in the old nhl... The board battles have also been affected..When star players get abused you dont see the calvary come to save him like the old nhl... stuff like this created rivalries... When these elements were in hockey you could feel the physical play starting to pick up... Now its like im praying to see a hit

Last edited by Alchemy: 01-11-2007 at 04:27 PM.