Notices

Peca, Parrish, Hamrlik could be had for cheap

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 05:21 PM
BruinFan42

vCash: 500
Peca, Parrish, Hamrlik could be had for cheap

Apparently Mad Mike blew a gasket and has his sights set on shipping on players like Peca, Parrish, Hamrlik and others.

I would personally love to see Hamrlik in a B's uni....

Old
12-03-2003, 05:23 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Don't know about "cheap", but it certainly seems they could be acquired.

I think Milbury's outta there soon. "We've enjoyed having you. Hope you've enjoyed being had."

Old
12-03-2003, 05:28 PM
neelynugs

absolutely - hamrlik is exactly what this team needs. a really solid 2 way Dman. think milbury would go for:
morrisonn, huml, 2nd rounder?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:30 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Hamrlik would be a nice addition. I wonder what Mad Mike is looking for in exchange if indeed this is true. I know if we can burn him, he'll be looking for work, but that is long overdue.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:34 PM
BruinFan42

Sure, Morrisson and Huml doesn't sound bad at all. Especially when Milbury says "players don't want to be here", maybe he'll bite at the first thing he sees....

Old
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Boynton

After watching Boynton heave and drip with sweat on the bench and do little-to-nothing on the ice (except for get ROCKED numerous times) yet again in tonight's ATL game I say it's time to ship out the plateaued boy-wonder while he still has high value. Boynton for Hamrlik straight up. It sounds harsh, and I really like Boynton - his passion and his personality...but I don't think he has much more to contribute to our team. It's been a nice run, but I've given up on this guy altogether.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:40 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Wicked, moving Boynton while he's in a funk is the kind of thing that'll get you burned very, very badly.

You really think he's going to stay like this for the rest of his career? I doubt it. I say he snaps out of it REAL soon.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:41 PM
neelynugs

i guess when thornton has a dominant game, you find someone else to use as a whipping boy. today's choice...nick boynton. again, i'm not sure how many times i can reiterate this, but i'm very glad you aren't the GM of my favorite team.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:42 PM
BruinFan42

Funny Vin, I was just about to post if the Isles would fancy this:

Boynton, Zinovjev, Hilbert and a 4th

for

Hamrlik and Parrish/Peca

Boynton's such an enigma. Is his shoulder still hurt? You know he won't say anything if it does. Or is he just not as good as we would all like to think?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:43 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
After watching Boynton heave and drip with sweat on the bench and do little-to-nothing on the ice (except for get ROCKED numerous times) yet again in tonight's ATL game I say it's time to ship out the plateaued boy-wonder while he still has high value. Boynton for Hamrlik straight up. It sounds harsh, and I really like Boynton - his passion and his personality...but I don't think he has much more to contribute to our team. It's been a nice run, but I've given up on this guy altogether.
Thank God Milbury isn't our GM or this would be done.....First Hamrlik would get traded for Brewer, then Boynton.....Who's next? Boumeester?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:45 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

If Hamrlik is coming back, it's a tough call, IMO. The variable is Boynton's ceiling, which is reasonably up for debate.

Is he the solid #2-type guy we saw last year? A decent number four? An eventual number one? So hard to tell, but when Boynton's on, he's simply excellent.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Wicked, moving Boynton while he's in a funk is the kind of thing that'll get you burned very, very badly.

You really think he's going to stay like this for the rest of his career? I doubt it. I say he snaps out of it REAL soon.
He's playing out-of-shape desperate hockey (which he did at the end of last year also, but that was supposedly an injury issue), and he has minor health issues that won't go away with a magic wand. It's much more than a funk, sadly. Boynton needs to be 100% and a stud to make sense for this team to keep him. He isn't hitting, he isn't skating, and he isn't making the good decisions. He's not reliable on the PP or PK. Is that the kind of guy to be the future of our D? Moran is playing much better than Boynton right now. His reputation is much greater than his future: so trade him. We won't get burned.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i guess when thornton has a dominant game, you find someone else to use as a whipping boy. today's choice...nick boynton. again, i'm not sure how many times i can reiterate this, but i'm very glad you aren't the GM of my favorite team.
Then how about you stop reiterating it?
Is anybody here confident about Boynton's future? I'm not impressed with him at all this year. Take the 44 and the name off his jersey, and I'd be asking "Who's this Schmoe? Is it Morrisson? Send him back to Provy where he belongs!" Instead, Boynton is defended and overvalued because we all know that he could be great: but he just isn't. Are the B's a worse team with Hamrlik instead of Boynton? No, they aren't. They're better, and much more balanced on D.

BTW: this has nothing to do with Thornton. He's played WAY better in the past week and a half - just like I said he should. I've only bashed him for not playing up to his potential. He's getting paid the millions of dollars...now he has to EXCEED his potential. To me, if you don't play up to your strengths and potential, you deserve bashing even if you are the young captain who is regarded far and wide as the best player in the NHL. Theoretically, I'd bash a young Jimi Hendrix if all he wanted to do is play the blues really really well.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:56 PM
CREW99AW

Bonk is a cheap return?

Mckenzie's reporting the isles and Sens are talking Bonk for Peca.Peca's the better leader,but Bonk's the better offensive producer.

and somehow despite Milbury's huffing and puffing,I doubt that C.Wang wants to go before the NBA board of governors,trying to get approved as the new Nets owner,while the isles are drawing 3,000-5,000 fans a night.

Isles are offering tix deasl the last few weeks,trying to boost attendance.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Jesarino
Verified!

Send a message via ICQ to Jesarino Send a message via MSN to Jesarino Send a message via Yahoo to Jesarino
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Bonk is a cheap return?

Mckenzie's reporting the isles and Sens are talking Bonk for Peca.Peca's the better leader,but Bonk's the better offensive producer.

and somehow despite Milbury's huffing and puffing,I doubt that C.Wang wants to go before the NBA board of governors,trying to get approved as the new Nets owner,while the isles are drawing 3,000-5,000 fans a night.

Isles are offering tix deasl the last few weeks,trying to boost attendance.
Milbury's an idiot! He'd trade his entire team for the Providence Bruins! Actually....that might not be a bad deal....even if we did lose Hannu!

Old
12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesarino
Milbury's an idiot! He'd trade his entire team for the Providence Bruins! Actually....that might not be a bad deal....even if we did lose Hannu!

Only if the Providence Bruins drew well

The Soundtigers are one of the best teams in the ahl and only a ferry ride away from LI.

I don't think the nyi want to be outdrawn on a nightly basis by their ahl affiliate.

MM's rant sounds like the one he used last Nov. after a NYI-B's game,telling the players he didn't want tlo make trades but they were forcing his hand.

Old
12-03-2003, 11:42 PM
misterjaggers

"We got All-Star players on defense that are playing like chumps.
We've got goaltenders that are quality goaltenders, looking behind them every time somebody shoots the puck at them...
We have All-Star forwards that have scored so few goals, it's unthinkable." - Mike Milbury

As reported by the New York Post:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/43431.htm

Old
12-04-2003, 12:04 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Apparently Mad Mike blew a gasket and has his sights set on shipping on players like Peca, Parrish, Hamrlik and others.

I would personally love to see Hamrlik in a B's uniform.
I would like to see Roman Hamrlik in a Bruins' uniform too, but he won't come "cheap". Given the league-wide drought in quality defensemen, I predict a bidding war will ensue for his services. And I object to mortgaging the team's future to land one guy when the Bruins are MORE than one guy away from winning the Stanley Cup...

Old
12-04-2003, 01:50 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Zinojev/1st
for
Hamrlik

Bring in the Hammer!

Old
12-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Killerbeez

Quote:
That alone makes me think that something isn't right on the health front for Nick. Maybe its meds or a change of meds in progress. That can affect a lot, remember his first season with the B's organization.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:22 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Then how about you stop reiterating it?
Is anybody here confident about Boynton's future? I'm not impressed with him at all this year. Take the 44 and the name off his jersey, and I'd be asking "Who's this Schmoe? Is it Morrisson? Send him back to Provy where he belongs!" Instead, Boynton is defended and overvalued because we all know that he could be great: but he just isn't. Are the B's a worse team with Hamrlik instead of Boynton? No, they aren't. They're better, and much more balanced on D.

BTW: this has nothing to do with Thornton. He's played WAY better in the past week and a half - just like I said he should. I've only bashed him for not playing up to his potential. He's getting paid the millions of dollars...now he has to EXCEED his potential. To me, if you don't play up to your strengths and potential, you deserve bashing even if you are the young captain who is regarded far and wide as the best player in the NHL. Theoretically, I'd bash a young Jimi Hendrix if all he wanted to do is play the blues really really well.
I think Boynton generally does HIS job well (and Sully obviously agrees because he gives him the most ice time), but Boynton is usually paired with a slow-footed partner (like Gill or O'Donnell) so he ends up trying to do too much to make up for his partner's short-comings...He also tries to do too much offensively at times, but I think he needs to push the envelope some to grow as a player.

I don't think we should be talking about getting rid of Boynton. He is part of the future. We need to be talking about replacing Gill and O'Donnell with more mobile types.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:10 AM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
I think Boynton generally does HIS job well (and Sully obviously agrees because he gives him the most ice time), but Boynton is usually paired with a slow-footed partner (like Gill or O'Donnell) so he ends up trying to do too much to make up for his partner's short-comings...He also tries to do too much offensively at times, but I think he needs to push the envelope some to grow as a
player.

I don't think we should be talking about getting rid of Boynton. He is part of the future. We need to be talking about replacing Gill and O'Donnell with more mobile types.
Mister jaggers: Thank you for finally making some obvious sense of this whole Boynton thing. No dis to those making spec about the diabetes ... certainly a legit concern. But 44's game walks a fine line, involved around liberal puck support. He actually thrived most when paired with Gill and playing Ftorek's possession game. Sully's game (move it quickly into places the other team doesn't want to see it) makes O'Donnell, 44's primary partner this season, vulnerable to the speed. The whole result is constant "oh no!" moments for Boynton, whose game is suddenly wrought with alarm. Give him a fast guy and walk him work. It'll be great. You don't want to pack it in on the wrong guy here. Many good D-men would suffer under the same circs, including whichever poor Devil was paired with O'D in the 2001 finals.

-MC

Old
12-04-2003, 05:16 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
This will not earn me any friends.

I would seriously go after Peca + Hamrlik. Those guys could stick with this team for several years and help fill real problems.

Don't be fooled, the price will not truly be cheap. I would be thrilled to pull off a deal for those two for Samuelsson, Rolston + Morrisonn. And, I would even do Samsonov + Morrisonn/Gill if I had to.

I think Peca transforms the teams chemistry and is a very solid 2nd line center. He's not the point producer once hoped for, but he would thrive here IMO. Hamrlik would simply upgrade the mobility and talent on the blueline.

If only we could land some of these guys. We really need what they bring: grit/talent.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:19 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
I think Boynton generally does HIS job well (and Sully obviously agrees because he gives him the most ice time), but Boynton is usually paired with a slow-footed partner (like Gill or O'Donnell) so he ends up trying to do too much to make up for his partner's short-comings...He also tries to do too much offensively at times, but I think he needs to push the envelope some to grow as a player.

Replacing Gill and OD even though for much of the season they have been probably our steadiest defenseman. Please dont make excuses for why Nick Boynton continues to struggle. Making poor decision after poor decision has NOTHING to do with who his partner is.

Again, I was the first to criticize Boynton, but you dont trade a young kid because of a little slump unless you get a helluva return. Would I do Peca or Hamrlik straight up for Boynton, yes, probably just because those are two players who might put us over the top, but there are far worse players out there than Nick Boynton.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:55 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Forgetting for a minute what we might have to give up, how do you rate your interest in these guys supposedly on the block down there?

Hamrlik
Cairns
Peca
Parrish

My interest, on a scale of 1-10:

Hamrlik (7) - He's on the verge of turning 30, so he's a little older than the ideal player I'd like to add (I would prefer a Morris for example). Like his skill. His up and down attitude concerns me a little.

Cairns (4) - If you could get him as a throw in, I'd like to have him. He does what he does well.

Peca (8) - Also on the verge of turning 30. He'd be a nice backup to Joe. Will not score the way once hoped for. Plays a hard nosed game and has skill. I mainly like the attitude he brings to the team. Peca + Lapointe could be a nice duo.

Parrish (2) - I'm not a fan of his. He has posted some decent points with NYI, but I just don't trust him to be a regular contributor. Steve Heinze itis.

Scatchard (9) - Not available as far as I know. Good guy, pretty good player, does several things well.

Closed Thread