HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL2004 Decision

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2003, 03:01 PM
  #1
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
NHL2004 Decision

Ok, so I took a study break to play some NHL2004. Here's my sticky situation:

I have resigned all but three Oilers to long-term, small coin deals. These three however, include Smyth, York, and Brewer. They each want $6.5+ in their contracts. The dilemma is, I am approaching the deadline in about 2 or 3 weeks, I am 6 points out of a playoff spot, and I won't be able to afford all of them at the end of the year; so, who do I keep? Brewer? Smyth? York? A combination of two? None of them?

What do you all think?

H-Bear is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:15 PM
  #2
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Ok, so I took a study break to play some NHL2004. Here's my sticky situation:

I have resigned all but three Oilers to long-term, small coin deals. These three however, include Smyth, York, and Brewer. They each want $6.5+ in their contracts. The dilemma is, I am approaching the deadline in about 2 or 3 weeks, I am 6 points out of a playoff spot, and I won't be able to afford all of them at the end of the year; so, who do I keep? Brewer? Smyth? York? A combination of two? None of them?

What do you all think?
Smyth has the most trade value out of them. Trade him for two cheap impact players that will get you the 6 points you need.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:16 PM
  #3
nikeisevil
Registered User
 
nikeisevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Ok, so I took a study break to play some NHL2004. Here's my sticky situation:

I have resigned all but three Oilers to long-term, small coin deals. These three however, include Smyth, York, and Brewer. They each want $6.5+ in their contracts. The dilemma is, I am approaching the deadline in about 2 or 3 weeks, I am 6 points out of a playoff spot, and I won't be able to afford all of them at the end of the year; so, who do I keep? Brewer? Smyth? York? A combination of two? None of them?

What do you all think?
I traded all three of them for picks and used my upgrade points on scouting. I stocked up on good, young prospects and signed them to 6 year deals. So far that is working out well for me.

Difference is... I made the playoffs the first year.

nikeisevil is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:25 PM
  #4
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
I traded all three of them for picks and used my upgrade points on scouting. I stocked up on good, young prospects and signed them to 6 year deals. So far that is working out well for me.

Difference is... I made the playoffs the first year.
Problem is that I don't want to rebuild. If I do that, I will be decimating my lineup. The trades I have made so far have been to fill holes and improve the team.

Trades so far:
Rita, Valiquette, 2nd for Conolly, Miller
Comrie, Isbister (he wanted $5.4!!) for Fisher, Phillips
Chimera for 2nd (to SJ) - to make room for Torres in the lineup.

H-Bear is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:30 PM
  #5
Hemmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ethan Moreau for MVP! NOW! VOTE!
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Ok, so I took a study break to play some NHL2004. Here's my sticky situation:

I have resigned all but three Oilers to long-term, small coin deals. These three however, include Smyth, York, and Brewer. They each want $6.5+ in their contracts. The dilemma is, I am approaching the deadline in about 2 or 3 weeks, I am 6 points out of a playoff spot, and I won't be able to afford all of them at the end of the year; so, who do I keep? Brewer? Smyth? York? A combination of two? None of them?

What do you all think?

5 years down the road, Brewer is a machine.

I know that for sure. I'm somewhere in 2007 or 2008 with my team.

Keep Brewer for sure...Smyth or York, depending on depth at each position. York seemed injury prone...Smyth not so much.

HTH.

Hemmer is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:32 PM
  #6
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
you could always go along and sign the three hope you make the playoffs and then invest the upgrade points on marketing which increases the home attendance by 4%. You could also let one of them walk and try to re-sign them on the 1st July

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:34 PM
  #7
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
you could always go along and sign the three hope you make the playoffs and then invest the upgrade points on marketing which increases the home attendance by 4%. You could also let one of them walk and try to re-sign them on the 1st July
I'm already at sell outs (16738 or whatever Northlands holds).

H-Bear is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 03:48 PM
  #8
nikeisevil
Registered User
 
nikeisevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Problem is that I don't want to rebuild. If I do that, I will be decimating my lineup. The trades I have made so far have been to fill holes and improve the team.

Trades so far:
Rita, Valiquette, 2nd for Conolly, Miller
Comrie, Isbister (he wanted $5.4!!) for Fisher, Phillips
Chimera for 2nd (to SJ) - to make room for Torres in the lineup.
Those are good trades. I actually traded Comrie for Doan + Tanabe from Phoenix. That trade worked out well.

Isbister, Smyth, York, and Brewer.

*sigh*

That game is not very realistic. I hope they improve upon it next year to have more realistic salary demands.

nikeisevil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.